Canon PIXMA iP4200 Reviews

Connectivity Technology: USB 1.1USB 2.0
Duplex Printout: Standard
Direct Printing Capability: Print Photos Without a PC
Media
Media Type: EnvelopesGlossy Photo PaperHigh Resolution PaperMatte Photo PaperPhoto PaperPhoto StickersPlain PaperSemi-Gloss Photo PaperTransparencies
Max Media Size: Legal (216 x 356 mm, 8.5 x 14")
Memory
Installed RAM: 0.042 MB
Max Memory: 43.008 KB
System Requirements
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 2000Microsoft Windows 98Microsoft Windows Millennium EditionMicrosoft Windows XP HomeApple MacOS X
Other
Warranty: 1 Year
Height: 16 cm
Width: 41.9 cm
Depth: 30 cm
Weight: 6.7 kg

“Has become my standard printer”

Written on: 06/10/2018

I bought my Canon IP4200 printer for a ridiculoudly low price (£0.10p) at a jumble sale. It came with a full set of inks and I have since found enough inks in charity shops to last as long as I am likely to live. I have used it for documents and photographs with equally satisfactory results and although it has no Wi-fi capability and has to be connected via USB I now use it in preference to my more modern printers. Text quality is excellent. photographs are crisp and bright, whether printed… Read Full Review

“I bought it had it less that 18 months then error 6500...”

Written on: 14/09/2010

I bought it had it less that 18 months then error 6500 showed up would cost almost £60 to repair. For me I would not recommend it plus it needs 5 inks… Read Full Review

“Leaving regular paper in the lower tray means the...”

Written on: 11/08/2008 by samtulis (8 reviews written)

Leaving regular paper in the lower tray means the printer is always ready. The upper tray can then be used for special papers at the flick of a switch. It is very convenient and the trays all close keeping the printer clean.
If the Canon software and correct papers are used, photo quality is excellent… Read Full Review

392974_Rogerbeen's Response to samtulis's Review

Written on: 17/08/2008

I found this review helpful because...I am currently trying to decide on a replacement printer.

Read 1 Comment

“This is a good quality, good looking printer that...”

Written on: 22/05/2008 by SteveKRO (1 review written)

This is a good quality, good looking printer that provides very good output. For the price I would be surprised if there is anything out there as good. Shame about the high cost of ink… Read Full Review

“Good value for money I am not sorry I brought one it...”

Written on: 16/03/2008 by palacebob (2 reviews written)

Good value for money I am not sorry I brought one it has a few extras that the other manufacturers would charge a bit more for without giving up a very nice finish.
I am using non canon inks and still achieving decent results works out at less than half the price canon want and fortunately the desire to print on every CD you make wears off and makes it even cheaper… Read Full Review

“For the money it is hard to believe the quality and...”

Written on: 20/10/2007 by Mike999 (1 review written)

For the money it is hard to believe the quality and performance of the Canon Pixma iP4200 printer. Unlike other peoples reports I have actually managed to buy alternative ink products for back up, but as of yet not tried them, although I have every confidence they will work. The only issue I have been told I will have with them is, warning lights when the cartridge is empty will not light, so I will have to rely on visual inspection.
The crazy thing is, if you were to buy the full set of 5 inks… Read Full Review

“It would not be worth it for many, as it is more than...”

Written on: 08/10/2006 by vishwasshukla (2 reviews written)

It would not be worth it for many, as it is more than triple the cost of starting ink jet printers, with not too many features, but it's build is quite strong and it will last for a long time.

I use the Canon Pixma iP4200 inkjet printer to print on sticker labels, and it quite often doesn't accept the paper from the manual feed, whereas cassette works fine (I guess the manual feed pulling force is not enough). I print about 5000 - 10000 sheets per month, and I bought this printer because… Read Full Review

“This Canon Pixma iP4200 is the best printer I have...”

Written on: 08/07/2006 by wmricketts (2 reviews written)

This Canon Pixma iP4200 is the best printer I have ever owned, I have had Lexmark, HP and Epson printers in the past and been disappointed with them all for various reasons, when my last printer died, I went for this one, partly because of good reviews and partly for a new brand.

I have been incredibly impressed. The print quality is amazing, and I think that is the most important thing with a printer. Photos come out perfect, very bright and very clear, and I printed some application forms… Read Full Review

“The CD printing on the Canon Pixma iP4200 inkjet...”

Written on: 25/12/2005 by curlywatts (2 reviews written)

The CD printing on the Canon Pixma iP4200 inkjet printer is a good feature, and also the two paper feeds, but I found when printing Black & White photo's that there is a slight pink tint.

My son has an IP4000, and I tried to get one too, but it has been replaced by the IP4200. Thinking they were much the same I bought one, only to find that when I need to replace the ink, it will cost me £50 (no compatible available).

I moved from Epson because they are taking manufactures to court for making… Read Full Review

Surfcrazedscot's Response to curlywatts's Review

Written on: 01/02/2006

Firstly, it would cost £50 to replace the ink if you had to replace all 5 tanks at once - which is unlikely. The individual tanks cost around £10 each so this is actually more economical because you only buy the colour you need rather than throwing away perfectly good ink as you would do if it was an all-in-one tank.
<br>
<br>Secondly, this is supposed to be a review of the Canon Pixma iP4200 and not a rant about the cost/availability of ink in general. If you wish to comment on this subject there are plenty forums on which to do so. People read reviews for information before buying a particular product. This review was pointless and unfair.

Coffeenapples's Response to curlywatts's Review

Written on: 03/03/2006

Actually, I find comments about ink usage useful! It will suffice to say in your review how many pages of text you get from a black tank, what the brand cartridge costs and whether or not there are alternative cartridges. (you have to leave it to other consumers to decide if this is a problem for them!!!!)

Curlywatts's Response to curlywatts's Review

Written on: 01/02/2006

Yes I take your point that individual tanks should be more economical that one shared colour tank.
<br>Up to a point I see your point about ranting, but the printer cannot run with out ink and therefore running costs are an important part of the review.
<br>Whether the tanks run out together or one at a time makes no difference to having to replace them at £10 each compared with 99p each (compatible) for the IP 4000.

Read 3 Comments

“I can't believe how impressed I am with the Canon...”

Written on: 15/12/2005 by amurrayx (48 reviews written)

I can't believe how impressed I am with the Canon Pixma iP4200 printer!

The letters and presentations are laser-quality.

I compared 4x6 photos on this printer to the Kodak Printer Dock 3, and the Canon 4200 photo's were sharper, more vivid, and without any flaws.

This printer is quiet and fast, although at the highest photo quality setting it takes about 90 seconds for 8.5x11 prints.

Absolutely the only drawback to this printer is if you don't have time to let the glossy photo prints… Read Full Review