Smeg FAB 28 Retro Reviews

• Durability

• Style

• Service & Support

Summary

Total Volume: 9.57 Cu. Ft. / 271 Liter
Door Opens To The Right
Efficiency: A
Smeg FAB 28 Retro - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Smeg FAB 28 Retro

Smeg FAB 28 Retro

“Don't waste your money on this fridge”

Written on: 23/09/2020 by vfCarey13 (1 review written)

How I wish I'd read the reviews before shelling out just under £1000 on what I thought was a quality product. I have given 1 star because the fridge looks the part but that's the only positive. I always have been very careful , but still the catch on the ice box door handle has broken 3 times, each replacement has cost approximately £80.00, now I just keep the door closed and don't use the compartment. The salad draw is all scratched on the bottom and has only ever had a few tomatoes and onions stored in it. If anything else needs replacing I intend to switch the fridge off and use it as storage for tins etc and buy a new fridge to actually keep diary products cold.

“Beautiful and inefficient”

Written on: 06/11/2017 by Fridgeuser28 (1 review written)

This fridge makes my humble kitchen look a bit special. Everyone who see the fridge remarks on how great the fridge looks. Every time I look at the fridge I think how beautiful. So what you may ask is the problem. The main problem is that the temperature in the fridge averages around 8°c Even when the fridge hasn't been opened ( overnight) still doesn't get cold .I have to be careful what food I buy eg. pate I only would keep within one day of opening pack. I don't buy cream cheese,I have to have the fridge on the coldest setting all the time. The fridge has been the same since I bought I have had the engineers out to the fridge on two separate occasions.( luckily I had a extended warranty ) On the first visit the freezer compartment door handle had broken. The second visit I requested because I was sure the fridge was working intermittently. The ice box just about makes ice cubes but won't hold ice cream for even a day without going soft. Told by engineer that it was Workington perfectly. My fridge is still in use ( Purchased November 2007 ) Has 1 very careful owner. Would I buy another Smeg fridge ? No. I wouldn't spend all that money on such an inefficient piece of equipment What I do know is that if like me you really love the look of the fridge ONLY buy it with an extended warranty.

“Lovely but non functional ”

Written on: 25/10/2017 by York119 (1 review written)

Just had a freezer and fridge freezer delivered the other, very disappointed. Even if I could get inside!! The freezer is already frosting up on the outside of the drawers. Both appliances are impossible to open with the handle as they glide down the room with me. It’s a great party act! I’m having to open using by holding it in place whilst the other arm prizes it open at the top to reduce the suction so I can get in. This makes it difficult if you’re carrying something to the fridge as you need both hands.

“Dangerous door”

Written on: 26/11/2015 by seriousflaw (1 review written)

My retro Smeg FAB32RFN fridge freezer - which I did love -is 2 years old and this morning the freezer door fell off. The pin holding it at the bottom has sheared through. The fridge door is also held on by the same pins and is massive. I am waiting for Smeg engineer to arrange visit and repair it, but I have pointed out to Smeg that if the fridge door fell off it could kill a small child- namely my grandson who is often in his high chair next to it. Not to mention seriously injuring anyone else that had it fall on them when it is opened. It is a plastic door but very big and obviously would have things in the door compartments making it heavier.This needs to be addressed with urgency by Smeg before a tragedy happens.Will not be accepting just a repair but will require head office to respond.

“save your money”

Written on: 04/04/2015 by Herndontp161 (1 review written)

i got one and worked for about just over a year no one will repair them! think that sums it up wast off £1250 look great and that's about it save your money

“Form over function”

Written on: 05/12/2013

I fell in love with the Fab fridge freezer and matching dishwasher, and I have to say that they do look good, in red. They really look good. Oh dear, that is where the good news ends. The fast freeze door either came broken or got broken, I can't say which. It was always loose on the right hand side. I brought a replacement door, defrosted the freezer. When I went to replace the door I discovered that the right side clip was not screwed in. As in no screw just an empty hole. a quick flurry in my tool box and that was sorted. Then it got worse. I contacted Smeg as this was clearly a QA issue. Total disinterest. The advisor was not interested in any production issues. I can accept that an error may have been made in production. I do not accept that I pay this sort of money to get a 'whatever, computer says no response' from customers services. Will I buy again, no. As for the dishwasher if your interested, works great at 70C but pretty poor at the lower range. Cutlery rack is cool.

Written on: 22/03/2015

Cannot go on reading reviews "HORRIBLE X 3 =Control of temperature a joke FRIDGE"
Plastic shelves brittle when cold I have replaced them with my own polycarbonate door shelves.Door does not open unless fridge is bolted to the floor ie open door?You can only open if you hold the fridge. The freezer compartment door ices up so catch disintigrates. Just do not waste £££ on SMEG -
£34.54 all it's worth come and get it we will buy something
that works.Very annoyed

£5.40 all it's woth hopeless

Read 2 Comments

“Fur coat no knickers!”

Written on: 15/11/2013 by Baythrun (2 reviews written)

Suffered this fridge for the last 10 years, bought hugely expensive shelves and ice box cover, now the seal has gone and they tell me I must change the whole door! Well I've had enough for the price of the new door (£300) and all the other parts I have to replace I decided to buy a Gorenje. SMEG have known the problems with this fridge for many years but have 'buried their heads in the sand' instead of coming up with some sensible solutions to help us, have they got no idea of customer service at all??

Mjolner2's Response to Baythrun's Review

Written on: 22/03/2015

Come and get our rubbish SMEG I'll pay you to take it away==come on
Smeg =get real

“Smeg 28R Retro Fridge”

Written on: 05/10/2013

Thankyou so much to everyone who took the time to write a review about this fridge, you have saved us a lot of money and disappointment. Thankyou also to those of you who suggested alternatives, very helpful.

£ 547.99? better off with a bucket of cold water,
come and get it and see how dreadful they are.I will not pay you to take it away
I will not insult Ebay or Gumtree or Previously loved or any advertising site with this SMEG thing

“Smeg Fab fridge”

Written on: 02/10/2013

My Smeg fridge was a disappointment from the start - door seals, freezer door, shelving - all problems. I resorted to an insurance policy and have had to have doors replaced and even a new fridge replacement. Throughout this Smeg have accepted no responsibility and even today a customer service rep made me feel as if it was my fault! Real arrogance and denial of any problems. Just check internet reviews!!!

“I could cry.”

Written on: 04/09/2013 by sadcafe (1 review written)

We fell in love with the FAB28 fridge as soon as we saw it. Pretty soon, bits started falling off. First the door hinge of the freezer compartment broke. It simply snapped and fell apart. Next, I noticed cracks in the milk bottle shelves. I actually had the audacity to put milk on the shelves, and this is obviously outside the design parameters. All three shelves cracked and eventually gave way. I was able to delay the eventual demise of the shelves with clear gaffer tape, but ultimately the were beyond use and beyond repair. Furthermore, the mouldings for the bottom door shelf snapped off. The inner door plastic moulding is cracked at the bottom corner. If you're unlucky enough to own one of these, you can extend the life of it by treating it very gently and not putting anything heavy in the door shelves. In fact, my advice would be to switch it off, don't use it, and just look at it. Buy a discrete integrated fridge and use that to keep your groceries cool while the Smeg does its job of looking pretty. You might think with all this damage that I'm pretty rough, but I assure you I have treated this fridge with kid gloves. It falls apart of its own volition. Do yourself a favour and avoid.

“Terrible parts, weak shelves”

Written on: 09/08/2013

The fridge looks good but is the worst purchase i have ever made for the kitchen. Having glass shelves that are supported by clip on plastic strips which become brittle in the cold then snap when any weight is put on the shelves is madness. Why couldnt they make the shelves out of wire like the bottle rack? I complained to Smeg two years after i had bought the fridge, and after I had bought a number of hugely expensive shelf support replacements, and they claimed no-one had ever complained about the shelves.But the design is just stupid. Plastic gets brittle in the cold. Enough said. Who wants shelves that support no weight? And yes the vegetable box has been replaced twice, it too becomes brittle...

“Smeg fridge not cold”

Written on: 18/07/2013

Brill to look at not much good at anything else have had persistant problems with mine for a while now everthing has gone wrong light bulbs blowing, door dropping things freezing Bl...y useless and have had so many engineers out to look at it all a bit laurel and hardy was just about to chuck it ot the window when by a off chance came acoss a company who service the london area Agsrefrigeration.co.uk they came out and found that the light switch had a faulty connection which they rectified fingers crossed all fine since however wont be buying one in the future.

“These fridges are popular for a reason!”

Written on: 11/05/2013

I've had my red Smeg fridge freezer for about 7 years now without any real problems. Yes, you do have to regularly defrost the freezer section or it gets really iced up.I think one of the shelves broke when I was cleaning it but no hassle to replace it. I'm thinking about replacing the red fridge with a cream one but as there's still a few years' wear left in it, I'll sell the red one for a couple of hundred quid. Because of all the bad press the Smeg retro fridges get, I have looked around over the years for an alternative retro looking fridge but I've never found one that looks anywhere as good - this is why they are so hugely popular. I had quite a nice LEC retro fridge some years back because it was a lot cheaper but it didn't last long and they don't seem to be available any more. That's why I'll be sticking with Smeg. Style over substance? Well, it's probably not the best fridge in the world, it's expensive but I challenge you to find a better looking one!

“Left Me Cold”

Written on: 06/05/2013 by Chrisimo (1 review written)

I was seduced by how this fridge looked - lovely bright colour and sensuous curves. But now it needs constant defrosting no matter what setting you have it on, all the door trays and salad trays are cracked and broken. It's rubbish. Definitely style over substances. I thought Smeg was a top brand but I won't be buying another of their products.

“7 Years Old & Still Working Fine”

Written on: 14/10/2012 by ROMANW (1 review written)

Great retro looking fridge,initially took a few weeks to get the SMEG levelled up properly but then had no problems at all until 6 months ago when the internal light started to flicker (more off than on) whenever the fridge door was opened so i changed the bulb over which has proved to be a big mistake has it hasn't worked since,this does become a problem at night when the kitchen lights are off & we just want to grab a drink out of the fridge but i am going to have another go at replacing the bulb & see if that does the trick ? The SMEG is now 7 years old & apart from the lightbulb issue we have had no problems with it at all,the overall build quality is great,the freezer compartment is small but it suits our needs as a family of 3 & yes i would & have recommended SMEG fridge freezers to anyone in the market for a retro looking fridge freezer.

“very hard to get into!!! Good if you are on a diet I...”

Written on: 11/10/2012 by janeyt (1 review written)

yes it looks good- we have a red one, came yesterday BUT wish we had never bought it- and now I 've read reviews can see why! very hard to open the door- we have had ours levelled by a professional- why cant you stop the wheels at the back with say a brake- he has put blocks down for us to stop it moving across the floor.Door is very hard to open- hope this will ease with time-but its ridiuclous!The handle is naff- cheap plasticy looking and not like the ones on old retro fridges which had a button.Would not recommend to anyone with kids as think it would not stand any wear and tear that comes with kids.Hard to get hold of a human being on thir site but in fairness they answered my e-mail query within 12 hrs. Stick to a normal fridge like LG or Zanussi- avoid these- they are like supermodels- look good but don't last long...

“Smeg fab fridge freezer”

Written on: 13/07/2012 by Grays11 (1 review written)

Purchased this as I always wanted one in lime green had it two months the door on the fridge the seal at the top was coming apart. Had it replaced they said my kitchen floor was not level. New door fitted I have left it while the same thing happening but the seal has come away a lot making the fridge at the back wet with the warm air getting in leading to leaking water on the floor at the back. Rang again. I need a new door they say my kitchen floor is not level. Never had this problem with a fridge freezer in 27 years I've lived here this is my 4th frige freezer not smug I like smeg but for how much it cost me not worth the money.

Guest's Response to Grays11's Review

Written on: 30/07/2012

Hi I have actually had a whole replacement fridge freezer today see how it goes

“Style over Substance!!!!”

Written on: 16/06/2012

If only I had read these reviews first! STYLE...STYLE...STYLE, but there it ends. In particular the quality of all plastic components/fittings (not under guarantee. Surprise!) is terrible.All drawers, door racks etc in fridge & freezer compartments have cracked/shattered/broken. We have had it around 5 years. The trouble began almost immediately. There is just the two of us, useage, careful. God knows what it must be like in a busy family household..'tho I can imagine!! Disappointing is an understatement, I would never buy another and would always advise others not to be swayed by the style. IT IS RUBBISH!

Modugmore's Comment

Written on: 15/09/2012

May I ask whether SMEG have ensured and improved on the quality of their plastic components since your model and year? Were you able to buy new parts to replace your cracked and shattered ones?

Read 1 Comment

“Looks Nice..and we get loads of compliments...but”

Written on: 11/09/2011 by shamblesman (1 review written)

If it was a racehorse..it would have been put down by now. Icebox door has broken and is long gone..shelves are poor and broken..and it drips water It has terrible build quality and durability. I have to defrost it regularly I would never buy another as they are rubbish. It was cheap enough at the time I think..and my wife loves it. which brings me on to this point: it is still working 6 years on..and does keep stuff cold..so that is all I can say for it. Oh, and did I mention...it is Pink.

“Without question our worst purchase EVER! The first...”

Written on: 23/10/2010

Without question our worst purchase EVER! The first one was delivered with a faulty seal and was replaced after a week. The second lasted two whole months before the freezer door tab broke and yes, the seal also failed to seal the fridge properly. The freezer compartment drips water on to the food beneath, and the light has a will all of it's own.

I know it may look good, and everybody assumes SMEG is a great make - but no, just because it's expensive does not mean that this is good quality - it most certainly is not.

After two years of suffering this retro fridge we are getting rid and replacing it with a samsung.

Be warned, this is an appalling fridge - despite the name tag!

I have given this a rating of one star.... only because I don't know how to give it zero stars!