Honda Civic 1.6 Vtec Reviews

Honda Civic 1.6 Vtec - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Honda Civic 1.6 Vtec

Honda Civic 1.6 Vtec
Honda Civic 1.6 Vtec

“This car it my first after passing my test at 23 yrs...”

Written on: 13/03/2011 by fayej86 (1 review written)

This car it my first after passing my test at 23 yrs old and its fab! Very pratical and has enough room in the boot for 2 subs as well as my daughters large pram :) plus all the shopping. The power from the vtec is brill and is definately a piece of mind knowing its there if needed. The car is a mechanically sound car with no knocks or bangs, it feels very solid, which is what i was after since having my daughter with me constantly. I would definately recommend and my sister is looking for the same car as she has driven mine. A good all round car with a nice note when the vtec kicks in....will definately not be getting rid of this car anytime soon :)

“I absolutely love my Honda Civic 1.6 SR VTec. It has...”

Written on: 04/11/2009 by Harrycobeans (1 review written)

I absolutely love my Honda Civic 1.6 SR VTec. It has just had it's 13th birthday and it can still push out power to excite from the outstanding VTec engine. My neighbour calls it my Formula 3 Civic. I have driven this car and I mean really driven it, the engine is outstanding and has never let me down. Despite the punishment I have delivered to this car, my only major expenditure has been a recently broken drive shaft (completely destroyed actually). I cannot reccomend this car enough, as a family run-about it is exceptional, it is deceptively large and has never let me down when I have been over-indulgent at B & Q and if you are alone and feel it is time for some real fun, throw it around some roundabouts in second gear at a decent speed and it will not let you down. This is indeed an outstanding wolf in sheeps clothing which will never fail to put a smile on your face.

97Srhatchbackowner's Response to Harrycobeans's Review

Written on: 28/06/2014

Hi there, i have a 97 sr vtec hatchback in white amd i couldnt agree more mate! :) it is unreal the power and reliability from the 1.6 vtec engine! The fact it has so much electrics like all 4windows sunroof and electric heated mirrors for a car of the 90's is brilliant! Ive owned it just over a year and i wished id known about the sr before! It allways makes me smile :)

Read 1 Comment

“OK so I have only owned my Honda Civic 1.6 Vtec for 2...”

Written on: 01/10/2009 by Imagingworks (4 reviews written)

OK so I have only owned my Honda Civic 1.6 Vtec for 2 weeks but it is sooo good it has to be reviewed straight away!
Coming straight from a CR-V auto of the same year I was worried this might seem small and tinny but fear not this is a real car all right.
My mpg has averaged 44 over more than 200 miles, half in town half on a run so it does exactly what it says on the can (actual petrol useage not just the in-car meter) Reckon on 30 in town and nearly 50 on a run.
Plenty of room for four adults or for a small family, ideal if your kid(s) are out of buggies otherwise the boot might be a bit small.
Economical, fun to drive, reasonable looking but not attention getting so no staring and unlikely to be a thieves target.
Just what the doctor ordered - just what a real car should be all about with the perfect balance of performance -v cost - v mpg
The only question is - why so many cup holders?! Two in the centre console, one in each door, one in the rear console, one in the driver's dash - so that makes 8 plus one built in to either side of the old boys britax makes a total of 10 cup holders when we go out - madness or what!!

“this Honda Civic 1.6 Vtec is an absolute gem of a...”

Written on: 27/06/2009

this Honda Civic 1.6 Vtec is an absolute gem of a pcket rocket, comung from a former volkswagen owner

“The Honda civic 160i vtec is an absolute joy to drive,...”

Written on: 17/04/2009

The Honda civic 160i vtec is an absolute joy to drive, the high reving nature of the motor becomes addictive. It feels as if the engine is begging you to rev it to the redline. All that needs to be done to make it really fast is the cams, head, air induction, and free flow...

“It is a unique car, and they don't make them like this...”

Written on: 29/09/2006 by dshvarts (2 reviews written)

It is a unique car, and they don't make them like this anymore. I had one for several years and got to love it each year more and more. Exceptionally comfortable driver and back-seat experience. Great control over driving in every possible aspect. Fantastic economy. In short, It is THE car for those who like to enjoy driving. Pure joy for the driver and the whole family.

“Honda say in their blurb that they have never had a...”

Written on: 08/04/2006 by 163567433378 (4 reviews written)

Honda say in their blurb that they have never had a mechanical failure in their Vtec engines and I for one can believe them. The Civic 1.6 attached to the automatic gear box offers all one can ask for. But be prepared for 6500rpm for full performance, and the sound of that engine at full chat is as smooth as a babys bottom.
I loved it. I drove it hard and it never blinked once. Would I recommend it, you bet.

Saltrampen2's Response to 163567433378's Review

Written on: 26/06/2006

I believe Honda claim that the variable valve system has never failed. I am not sure if that it is still true, but there are many stories of the VTEC engine suffering from excessive piston slap leading to engine replacement. To put it into perspective, all manufacturers produce the occasional car with engine failure occurring within the warranty period. Honda are by no means bottom of the list according to reliability surveys (nearer the top actually), however they do not have a 100% reliability record with their Civic VTEC engines either.

Read 1 Comment

“I was disappointed with my first Honda Civic, although...”

Written on: 20/01/2006 by saltrampen2 (22 reviews written)

I was disappointed with my first Honda Civic, although it feels more solid and better built than French cars, some examples seem to have many rattles, clunks, trim that doesn't fit exactly and they are not 100% mechanically relaible either. The engine note is not exactly encouraging you to push it either. Several examples I've driven sound like wooden blocks being shaken in a plastic container although semi- quietly in the background, but noticeable.
However it is large for its class and the power continues to increase significantly as the revs rise above 4000rpm. The downside is that below 3000rpm it feels average and not at all sporty.

“The Honda Civic 1.6 Vtec is a good comfortable car for...”

Written on: 25/11/2005 by GiroJohn (60 reviews written)

The Honda Civic 1.6 Vtec is a good comfortable car for running about in. Can get off its mark when it needs to. MPG approx 38.