Technosonic DVP 1010 Reviews

• Image Quality

• Sound Quality

• Battery Life

Technosonic DVP 1010 - Ask a question now

“Having had a 7 inch portable dvd player previous to...”

Written on: 20/03/2006 by kopite4eva (1 review written)

Having had a 7 inch portable dvd player previous to purchasing A Technosonic DVP 1010 I was really looking forward to taking this on the regular 2hrs 40 flight I make to the Algarve.

It did not let me down, the Screen size made a big difference (viewed by my wife also in the next seat). I use Shure sound isolating headphones which were great on this player (available separately for about £35 a set but worth the purchase).

The remote enabled me to change the display etc so that I could see… Read Full Review

Drake010's Response to kopite4eva's Review

Written on: 19/06/2013

Thank you for this informative post.

Read 1 Comment

“What I like about the Technosonic DVP 1010: ”

Written on: 15/11/2005 by vincent0 (9 reviews written)

What I like about the Technosonic DVP 1010:
Good price, £150 from ToysRUs, please don't tell me I paid too much!
Big screen, suppose to be 10" wide screen, haven't - checked but it's big.
Plays dvd -r/rw,+r/rw, music CDs, mpegs, jpegs, VCDs, SVCDs, CD-r/rw - everything I have.
Battery lasts for at least 2 hours on continuous use - had to stop watching after that but the battery was still going strong.
Sound is loud enough for a car.
Comes with car poweradapter and bag with car mounting straps -… Read Full Review

Written on: 16/11/2005

Back again, noticed the remote doesn't work too well when less than 4 feet away but fine if I point it elsewhere!! or if I'm much further away!!!! Maybe too much signal, see what happens when the batteries weaken.
<br>
<br>The remote doesn't have a volume control either, a major oversite for car users, but I have tried pumping it through the car speakers via a cassette adapter and that is fine.
<br>
<br>The battery has lasted exactly two and a half hours before flashing a distracting on screen message *low battery* just at the top left corner, it really doesn't need that when there is a red led flashing on the front of the unit too. But it continued to work for a while before switching itself off.
<br>
<br>I've put a few badly damaged DVDs through the unit, I mean badly jumping and stopping ones and one that has stopped playing on anything I have. They play fine, no jumping or stopping.
<br>
<br>This player does seem to be very tolerant of faulty disks.
<br>
<br>Still happy with this purchase.

Bikermice123's Response to vincent0's Review

Written on: 24/06/2013

hi if you still got this dvd player the multi region code is as follows

open tray no disk
press 8 1 3 2 and 8 window will appear
press up untill says region 9
press play

it will be multi regional worked for mine

Written on: 18/04/2007

18th April 2007
<br/>
<br/>Machine still working fine.
<br/>
<br/>Still happy with this item.
<br/>Bye

Written on: 05/02/2007

5th Feb 2007
<br/>
<br/>Hello micky69, no, it&#039;s still going strong.
<br/>
<br/>The flimsy door catch is still going strong, looks like it will outlast the laser.
<br/>
<br/>I still use it in the car.
<br/>
<br/>There seems to be very few 10" screens on the market, in the shops at least, but the ones I&#039;ve seen have come down to about £120 - £130.
<br/>Bye.

252776_Anonymous101's Response to vincent0's Review

Written on: 18/09/2006

Hiya Vinny, How is your machine doing mate?, We haven&#039;t had any updates for ages pal and a few of my mates have been getting a bit worried like, hope all is fine and dandy in your land of portable DVD Players and it hasn&#039;t bust or owt, fingers crossed.

Written on: 18/09/2006

18th Sept 2006
<br/>Player still working fine and haven&#039;t seen anything more desireable that I would want to change to.
<br/>
<br/>Using it on and off still and it&#039;s still useful.
<br/>
<br/>I find I&#039;m not using the battery or remote at all.
<br/>I&#039;m surprised that these type of products haven&#039;t come down in price, they are holding the price or even going up.
<br/>Regards

Written on: 11/08/2006

11th August 2006
<br/>My machine is still going fine.
<br/>
<br/>Netz - glad you&#039;re happy with your purchase, I wish my remote had a volume control as yours does.
<br/>
<br/>Let me know if you&#039;ve tried cleaning the screen, and how you did it.
<br/>Bye for now - Vincent

Written on: 26/06/2006

Hello! I got the wharfedale one in the end - it's really good :-) I also tried the code out and it worked, so I now have a region free dvd player!
<br>Everything is going great so far!

Written on: 19/06/2006

19th June 2006
<br>Machine still working fine.

Written on: 06/06/2006

Hello Rgonzi, I think the region free instructions you looking for for your 1210 are:
Open Tray
Enter 3597 on remote
Use arrow keys to select code 9 and press enter
press menu
It should be region free now.
I can't check this as it doesn't work with my Technosonic but apparently it does work on the wharfedale that Argos are selling.
Bye.

Rgonzi's Response to vincent0's Review

Written on: 31/05/2006

Cannot find the one on Argos. Do you know any people who tried the multiregion code on technosonic and worked? Can anyone give me the code to try, as at the store they are saying they don't know the code?

Written on: 26/05/2006

Hello netz, I thought the Argos one was the same but I think it is a modified version for them only.
It apparently has a volume control on the remote and also when there isn't a disk in it, the menu button gives you some picture controls, both features that the Technosonic doesn't have.
It may be able to be made multi region with the same instructions as the Technosonic but... I'm not too sure as there seems to be some people around who say yes, and some who can't do it. I suspect the ones who can't change the region are making a mistake somewhere. (not sure if this helps the rgonzi at all)

Written on: 24/05/2006

hello vincent0! i have just seen the one in argos - i was looking at it the other day and thought to myself "uummm..... that looks like the technosonic one!!!" im going to check toys r us again tomorrow, if they dont have it, i will def go for the wharfedale one!!! Thanks again for all of your help - i will let you know the outcome!!!

Written on: 24/05/2006

NETZ, WAIT, Argos are doing what appears to be the same unit for £129. It looks like a rebadged version in the catalogue, but... there is some question in my mind whether it has some changes done to it. Proceed with caution.

It's the Wharfedale 1210. It may have a volume control on the remote which mine doesn't and also it may have colour /contrast control which mine doesn't (just brightness). Argos have a 16 day no quibble return policy on SOME items, doublecheck, which may make it worth while checking out.
It looks the same in the catalogue and is cheaper than the price I bought it for but don't know how much ToysRus are charging now.

1) Argos are good for returns generally, ie less chance of a big argument.
2) The possible feature differences, if true, are all for the better.

Good Luck and let me know what you think/do.

Rgonzi's Response to vincent0's Review

Written on: 24/05/2006

Hi, I want to buy this but want to be sure I can change it to multiregion. Any idea how?

Written on: 22/05/2006

Ahh, thats brilliant!!! thanks for all your help! I am definitely going to get it now - just have to wait for toys r us to get them back in stock!!! Thanks again!

Written on: 22/05/2006

22nd May 2006.
Hello netz. Yes you can watch a dvd using the cigarette lighter power. That's the only way I use it, I don't bother taking a battery out with me if I'm only going to use it in the car.
A bit more about charging and viewing at the same time. No - it specifically says in the manual that you can't charge and watch at the same time. It doesn't say whether this applies to the car power or the mains power but in context it seems to refer to charging from the mains power unit.
The other review has bought a separate power supply so he can charge with one and power the unit with the other.

Written on: 17/05/2006

hello! thanks for getting back to me! just one more thing- i'm a bit stupid you see! so, can i watch the player with it plugged directly into the cigarette lighter??? so like its a direct power suppply - without using the battery? Many thanks again!

Written on: 17/05/2006

17th May 2006
Hello netz. I don't think you can. I seem to recall the instructions saying you can't use the battery and charge it at the same time (I'm not at home right now so can't check). I don't recall seeing that you could use the in-car cable to charge the battery either? (never occured to me before).
The mains power supply is a transformer with an LED on it, when you use it to charge the battery rather than just running the unit, the LED changes colour when the battery has finished charging. The car cable doesn't have the LED so I never thought to try charging the battery with it. I'll check the manual for you.
Using the battery with the unit is impossible if you intend to have the dvd player open flat - so that may be a problem for you. (If you're in a car you don't need to use the supplied battery if you have access to the in-car power cable?)
Hope I've helped - If not, ask again and I'll try and do better with the next attempt.
Back to my continuing review.
The unit is still running fine. I'm still very happy with it. I use it mainly to watch recordings off the TV when I'm waiting in the car for the kids or my wife - some quiet time to myself, maybe that's why I like it so much, personal quiet time, no distractions.
Still haven't tested if this unit is multi region but it does play two region's disks, 2 and 4 so i've definitely changed something (see my previous posts).
Bye

Written on: 15/05/2006

hi! I'm looking to buy this dvd player, but just wanted to ask a question first!
Can you charge the battery at the same time as watching a film? ie. on a car journey, it gets low, so can you plug it into the cigarette lighter and continue to watch film??? or do you have to stop using it, and then charge the battery? Thanks!

Written on: 07/04/2006

7th April 06 - Well, the machine is going well. Using it occasionally for viewing programmes recorded off the TV onto DVD. It copes well with the 6 hour play DVDs I've made, searching forward and backwards through a programme without complaint unlike my oldest player.
<br>
<br>I'm so glad I got a larger screen, 7" seems so small now.
<br>
<br>I finally found how to make the machine multi-region, I think. At least it will play my region 4 disks now.
<br>Switch on.
<br>Open disc lid.
<br>On the remote press numbers 8 1 3 2 8 - a number now appears onscreen, this is the current region, 2 in my case.
<br>
<br>Press ENTER on the remote and the number steps forward. Keep pressing ENTER and the number steps to 6, then jumps to 9, then back to 1 and so on.
<br>
<br>I guess these are the region codes, I've set my player to 9 and it plays region 4 disks. I'm guessing that 9 is all-regions / no-region?
<br>
<br>Close disc tray to lock that in.
<br>That's it.
<br>I'm now looking for a universal remote that will control the volume - there must be one about.
<br>Bye for now.

Written on: 07/02/2006

7th Feb 06 - still working fine, not used too much now, still putting DVDs and tv recorded stuff through the player, it's fine. Bag is a bit cumbersome to set up in the car but okay. I still don't have the code to change it to multi region.
I'm quite happy with the oh so basic catch on the dvd cover - it seems to do the job quite well even though it looks totally inadequate for the job.

Written on: 04/01/2006

4th Jan 2006 - Happy New Year.
Machine is fine, still happy with it. Still haven't got a way to change the region 2 setting.

Written on: 22/12/2005

Well...
<br>Still working, it's fine.
<br>
<br>Not sure how I'm suppose to clean the screen.
<br>
<br>I'm still surprised by how very tolerant of poor disks this machine is.
<br>
<br>Still haven't found a way to switch out of region 2 and am unlikely to as it would have been posted somewhere by now. I've tried other technosonic model's instructions but they don't work with this one.
<br>
<br>The other quibble is that this doesn't have an AV input as advertised by ToysRUs. That is a big problem for me as I was hoping to use the screen when the drive eventually fails.
<br>
<br>Hmmm... what should I do now??
<br>
<br>Hey, still no comments from anyone. Am I all alone out here?
<br>
<br>Looking at seven inch screens now, they seem too small.
<br>
<br>Still happy, except for the lack of input.
<br>Bye

Written on: 05/12/2005

5th Dec 2005, had the unit a bit longer now, still very happy with it.
<br>
<br>The poor quality lid I'm referring to is the DVD cover, not the lid of the unit, which is fine.
<br>Still haven't found a way to make it multi region which is irritating, can't even find the original manufacturer on the internet or via the manual, or box, or unit. If I wanted to give them 10 million pounds they would be out of luck - I'll phone the service number and ask for a contact (didn't try the second most obvious source).
<br>
<br>I also found that the poor picture during darker scenes that I mentioned previously is not much of an issue to me, in fact, it hasn't bothered me at all, which you can take as meaning it is not a major drawback in real life use, as opposed to giving a nit picking review of the thing.
<br>
<br>The volume from the unit is more than adequate, and I was able to listen to what I was viewing even with my car window open and a diesel van with its engine running parked 8 feet away from my window on the other side of a small road, the car was stuffy and the window was only open an inch. More than adequate is probably an understatement.
<br>
<br>As time goes by and I use the unit more, I'm getting to like it more and not notice the *faults*.
<br>
<br>As a side note, if I wanted something better I would strongly consider a laptop after having this machine. I can't think what another DVD player would have that could bridge the gap. An extra screen? not interested, better picture? maybe. Bigger screen? it's actually big enough, might not be so comfortable for my in-car use if the screen was much bigger.
<br>
<br>The laptop would have a bigger, brighter, higher resolution screen and do other things. It may have a shorter battery life - not too sure how long batteries last nowadays on laptops.
<br>
<br>Come on guys, someone else do a review too, I can't be the only person that's bought one of these!
<br>
<br>I would like to know what other people think. Have I bought a lemon? Would I be astounded if I had a brand name machine to play with?
<br>
<br>Bye Again - and someone at least leave a comment, it's not that difficult to register, and I don't seem to have received any junk mail because of it, so don't hold back.

Read 25 Comments