Austrian Airlines Reviews

• Comfort on flight

• Quality of Entertainment

• Quality of food

Austrian Airlines - Ask a question now

“Cancelled three business class tkts without notice”

written by russmape on 24/05/2019

Booked Albania to UK flying Austrian Air. Received booking confirmation. Saw status on CC, £2113 requested. Airport 2am for 4.30am flight. Told booking cancelled. Why did I not received a phone call or email. (that’s customer service) They had both. Customer service desk, line of people, lady crying. Said booking didn’t go through because of non-payment. Said booked 3 business tickets,my card showed payment pending. CS said it wasn’t paid. CC company, confirmed payment pending no issues their side. So airline did this and not the CC, they would have called me. Austrian said, this can’t happen. Proof of website payment and CC representative declined. Customer service unhelpful, telling me ‘surprisingly’ I was able to use the same card to pay for 3 new tickets, now 200€ more expensive as only option. Trying to take over £2000 again blocked the card. Returned to Tirana 4.30am with 2 10 year old kids. My wife flew without me. Appears payment excuse a complete fabrication as spoken to Austrian off-record to find that it fact, I was declined tickets on a fraudulent ticketing algorithm. I wrote to them never admitted anything at all. It should have been followed up. A simple check would have revealed my wife of the same surname and address and frequent flyer was also booked same flight, business class. I cannot in all honesty recommend Austrian Air in any shape or form, when it goes wrong nothing done. I am not the first with the exact same issue, reading the other complaint sites.

“LongHaul Nightmare with child size seats”

written by otRay254 on 30/09/2014

August September 2014, the flight from Vienna to Bankok [economy] was simply a nightmare as was the return flight. I am male 1m75cm tall and weigh 80kg, so not a large person at all. The seats were so NARROW that, seated in a row of three with two other men of about the same size we just did not fit without one of us turning sideways! It's not just legroom that counts! The connecting flight with THAI air was perfect [Bankok Brisbane]. As if the average Austrian bloke is smaller than a Thai! Austrian air is simply packing us in to make an easy buck, how they ever got a four star rating which led me to choose them beats me, probably from the buisness class flier! SEAT WIDTH should be mandatory information not just LEG ROOM! The food was pretty disgusting, even for airline food it was bad. Tip: AVOID AUSTRIAN AIRLINES for long haul flights!

“Johnb522”

written by Malia461 on 12/05/2014

I'm trying to find sites that have already fantastic useful information on what's popular and what is the optimum makeup products is.. defdeeegebfd

“Absolutely disappointed!”

written by on 02/05/2014

Flying MUC-VIE-VAR it took me 14 hours instead of 3 thanks to the delay of the first flight.These caused me lots of inconvenience. For sure I won't use Austrian airlines for further trips!

“rude awful ungrateful atitude”

written by Donna304 on 30/04/2014

Customer Relations Head Office Austrian Airlines What a relieve your answer; I feel so reassured now, knowing that A.A. is not a racist company; instead, I’m glad you admitted that you have the same rude and ungrateful attitude towards all your customers, no matter what religion or citizenship or skin color they may have; that you are inflicting the same horrific treatment, that you abandon them in airports hundreds of miles away from the original destination, wandering for hours in search of the luggage which don’t arrive, only to be left with no other choice but to board crowded buses and be forced to endure 7 hours of awful road into the night. It is indeed remarkable that you do this to all your customers!!!! By refusing to pay any compensation for your failure to deliver your job properly, your are breaking the rules of the Montreal Agreement; moreover, you are breaking them intentionally again by misinforming us about ours right for compensation, when in fact is your duty to give us all the right informati

“Austrian Airline: Unpleased ”

written by Bentley336 on 29/04/2014

I usually do not write reviews, but this time I thought it’s important to share with others my disappointing experience with Austrian Airlines. Let me say first that I am frequent traveler. It’s about 14 years that I take more than 40-50 flights every year, I am used to the airline policies and the possible unexpected unpleasant situations that may occurs. Most of the time I found airline companies with real customer oriented mindset, and employees who care about customer needs. Unfortunately, I can not say the same with Austrian Airline, that showed little attention in dealing with a crowded morning in Milan Malpensa airport, during the flight Milan-Vienna of last Sunday. It was not possible to do the on-line checking the evening before the departure, service that today is offered to almost all the airline companies. As result, the morning of the departure there was a long queue at the check-in. I had a business ticket, I did not have any luggage to check in, and there were almost no queue at the security check. With my board pass in hand I would have been able to get to the gate in few minutes. Unfortunately, without any notice to the people in the queue, they decide to close the check-in 45 minutes before departure, and give my seat to someone else. They just told me that the flight was already fully booked, no more seats where available, and I had to go to the ticket counter to look for another flight. At the ticket counter I found a very kind and polite employee that tried to booked me in another flight, but unfortunately the new fare was between 3000 to 4000 Euro, on top of what I already originally paid, to get to Chicago in economy class. Finally I decided to purchase another ticket for 1200 Euro with another airline. I wrote to the Austrian Airline customer service to share with them my experience, and complain about the service, and I just got a reply that 30 minutes before departure the check in is closed.

“Don't fly Austrian racist and rude crew”

written by on 09/09/2013

I recently flew Austrian Airlines and had a terrible experience on board, the gave away my pre-paid and booked seat so a family can sit together and put me in the middle. As a star alliance silver member I told the woman to move to me a window like I'd booked but she refused and said its the middle or nothing. I then told her to get her manager or bring the captain and refuse to sit down... eventually she moved the family to business class and put me in my original seat after causing a huge scene in front of the mostly austrian passengers. I then had the whole flight with people looking at me with daggers in their eyes, worse still the crew did the service but completely ignored me, didn't even offer a glass of water. I was so outraged I tried to get her name but she hid her name badge from me, I caught a glimpse and wrote it down, she then chased me out of the plane to discuss the situation, I refused and walked away. Got back to London that night after a day of work (adding to the economy of that god foresaken country I might add) and wrote to the CEO direct, he is apparently very unwell and hasn't been at his post for months now so I received a reply from an alledged "board member". His reply was that he didn't care, I was wrong and he didn't believe that this had happened. People do not fly this airline, they seem to live in a complete bubble and they have no accountability or fear of people complaining since the management themselves don't care about complaints nor take them seriously. Despite what anyone says, my experience flying on rivals to the route BA and Easyjet has always been so much nicer.

“just terrible?????”

written by Raimond on 12/06/2013

Separated seats .For whole flight (9 hours) they print tickets seats and separated with kid, very dissapp... no one cares about this,no one interesting.my first and last flight with this airline.

Yhryhrhr's Response to Raimond's Review

Written on: 09/09/2013

who gives a flying fu.ck

“Austrian Airlines. Hitler's favourite Airline.”

written by loaded on 25/05/2013

After arriving 3 hours early in Vienna for our flight to Tel Aviv, we watched the screen from the Sky Lounge with dismay whilst the flight continued to be announced as delayed by increments of 1/2 an hour or so. Until although other flights were being called, ours continued to not be called. The moment it was, we got up and made our way to Gate 12, which is only 5 minutes away. We didn't stop to pee. We didn't stop to buy duty free. We didn't stop to smell the roses. Despite the attitues of the appalling ground crew, we are not toddlers who have never flown before. Whilst walking through the terminal, we noticed the words 'boarding' alongside our flight number on one of the bigger monitors. When we arrived at the gate a minute later, it was empty except for a lady who blamed us for delaying the flight and who wouldn't let us on. The plane was still there. We pleaded with her to help and when she couldn't/wouldn't, we insisted she call a manager, who on arrival was the most bald arrogant piece of dejectable poorly customer service trained nonsense I have met in my entire life. I think his name was Adolf Wienerschnitsel or something like that, but I can't remember. I was going to film the situation, since although I am able to feign righteous indignance, a video speaks a thousand words. He wanted to call the police, so I didn't film him and I encouraged him to call them anyway. When they arrived with the usual gestapo puntuality, it became clear that they considered this man with the same contempt as I did and proceeded to yawn their way through his complaint. Another 'operations manager' appeared, a Ms Garcia and proceeded to calm the situation down somewhat and sent her baldheaded companion in need of retraining away. He told me he was 46. I found that useful. For a few minutes at least it seemed she would help us and took us down to the ticket desk to change our flights, however, on arrival at the ticket desk, it became clear that she actually wanted to take another 300 Euros from each of us to change our flights. Change our flights? We don't want to change our flights, we wanted to be on the one they called and didn't let us on. She pretended to call to head office and then decided that the logic from our side would probably prove overwhelming, so she did the best thing she could have. She told me the office was closing and that the head office would help me in the morning, therefore leaving her free to go home. The hotel attached to the airport was fully booked, but there was a no show, so we Managed to get in after midnight. God knows what would have happened if they had no rooms. Austrian airlines had left us in a foreign city with no flights and nowhere to stay for the night. In the morning, Ms Sahin, or Ms Nemec, she had recently married, so her badges did not match, proceeded to arrogantly tell us that there was nothing she could do and that despite having been told that someone at head office would help us the following day, that in fact head office was closed today, as it had been the day before too. So Ms. Garcia had lied and pretended to us. In the end we had to pay 185 Euros for 'changed flights per person', but not before I made a nuisance of myself at the counter for a while. If I were to sum up Austrian Airlines, it would be arrogant, rude, inflexible and unprofessional. The comment was made by a couple of people that other passengers made it. Yes, this is true, but since the tannoy didn't announce anything in the private Sky Lounge and the board in the Lounge wasn't up to date, how could we have known? Austrian airlines business customers in their lounge were told, but we were not. Economy passengers heard the announcement, but there wasn't one in the lounge. If the screen had been updated, then it would have been fine. Austrian Airlines blame the airport, but I find it hard to believe that the screens are automatic as they claim. Someone at the gate must be updating the status of the flights. Either way, be careful using a private lounge, since the facilities may be poor and overall, stay clear of Austrian Airlines. They are a shower of .... And I will use anyone else I can in future. I would give them no stars if possible. I will tell everyone I know this story and over time, the damage to Austrian Airlines will be greater than the money they took from me for their failure to adhere to basic procedures and in the face of their mistakes, rectify them.

Seanhunter's Response to loaded's Review

Written on: 10/07/2013

I can really sympathise with your situation, I fly them as a last resort and I don't know the problem, unlike every other airline there just seems to be more arrogant, rude and somewhat racist staff at this airline, whether ground staff or flight crew. This comes squarely down on the airlines procedures and training for their staff, the worst thing is that the airline doesn't take any responsibility or complaints seriously - so things will never change.

Loaded's reply to Seanhunter's Comment

Written on: 10/07/2013

Thank you for your comments and support :-) I think things will change - the airline industry and world is changing. Companies like this will fall by the wayside eventually and the staff will end up burnt out and unemployable. Austrian Airlines arrogance is legendary and their customer service is poor. They won't survive. In time, other more friendly and competitive airlines will push them out of business.

“Disrespectful behaviour”

written by freebird08 on 23/05/2013

I’m very unhappy and upset with the service provided by one of your employees at the Vienna Airport Let me explain the situation. January, 13, 2013 my big family (my husband, my sister-in-law and 5 children all under 14 y.o.) and I came to Vienna Airport to catch a flight OS 675-Vienna-Dnipropetrovsk exercised by the Austrian Airlines. We were successfully registered, shortly after I noticed I forgot about one extra bag and decided to request assistance whether to put it into the luggage compartment or to carry-on. As I’m not that familiar with all the regulations established by the company I hoped to get help or be provided with options. When I came around the check-in desk # 3 and asked what the best way to accommodate the bag I was struck by the unacceptably rude behavior and attitude of your employee on duty. The lady told me it was an extra luggage and I had to pay. When I requested to give it back to me to carry-on she refused to do it. The lady was uncontrolled and disrespectful. With improper manner she said that if I came to her I would have to pay. Moreover she threatened to cancel the flight for me and my family which I believe is far beyond her competence and jurisdiction thus it’s illegal. The employee very well knew that we were lack of time and manipulated the situation. I had no time to sort it out and was forced to pay extra 80 euro at risk to miss the flight. I’m an experienced and regular customer and never faced such an extraordinarily outrageous set of things. I expected to get a piece of advice. Instead I’m treated like a criminal on loose. I don’t think my family and I deserve it. Is it a special treatment for the Ukrainian citizens???

“The worst experience in my life”

written by on 14/05/2013

There is nothing to say more than it is the worst aircompany! They sell the tickets to the non existing number of seats, they lie, no even a hint of help from their side to fix the problem that they created on their own!!!! I would not advise to use austrian airlines even to the enemies!!!! Greedy not honest company!

“WORST COMPANY EVERE!!!!!!!!”

written by on 13/04/2013

I am sorry to say that the Austrian Airlines is the worst company ever! I had a terrible experience in January on the way to Tel Aviv and on the way back home in April (2013). My flight from Vien to Tel Aviv was delayed for 8 hour and then was cancelled. All the passanger had to stand in a line from 2 p.m. to 9 p.m. (without food, just some water) in order to rebook their flights. When we reached the desk at 8:30 p.m. (after a million people) the airline staff told us that they were going to close the desk, because their shift was supposed to be finished... So we spent the night in an Hotel in the center of Vien and our flight left Austria to Tel Aviv the day after. But..is not finish here: once we ariived in Tel Aviv most of the luggages were lost (included mine), the customer service had no idea were it was and they gave me back after 3 days! The return was even worst!!!! they changed my flight without send me any email, they just comunicated me once I got in Ben Gurion Airport, at 4:00 in the morning! So they gave me the possibility to fly to Vien, but not to Klagenfurt becasue the flight was cancelled too... I don't know what to say, but I AM SURE ABOUT THE FACT THAT I WILL NEVER EVER CHOOSE AUSTRIAN AIRLINES AGAIN!

“Brought me to tears at the counter”

written by on 08/04/2013

Terrible experience!!! I was not allowed to take my flight on 20.012013 from Sofia, Bulgaria to Stockholm, Sweden. As a reason I was given the fact that I did not take the inbound flight on 13.12.2012. If the following sentence in faint small print on the bottom of the webpage means that I am OBLIGED to be on the plane the first time, so that I do not lose all the other flights that I’ve booked, then there are serious discrepancies and lack of clarity on their website which result in the customer being mislead: „This fare is only valid if the flights are taken in the booked sequence. Otherwise the fare will be recalculated based on the actual flight routing.” What was even worse and I will never forget, was the attitude of the airport staff. They were all wearing Lufthansa uniforms, so I guess they work together. The clerk at the check-in counter said that I cannot just make up my mind that I am going to fly with a different company on a different day and then expect that I will return with you. Let alone the fact that he had no idea about the reason behind my fail to catch the first flight, obviously I didn’t just “make up my mind” to spend another 300 euro for alternative transportation around Christmas (because I know that my ticket is non-changeable or refundable). The attitude of the staff was downright rude. He sent me to the lady at the reservation desk, who told me that the only way I can get back to Sweden is if I pay another 530 euro (!!!) so I can fly on the following day. When I told her that I am a student in a foreign country who is not working and that I don’t have 500 euro in my pocket, especially when I’ve already paid around 600 euro for flights so far, all she said was: “Yes, we have more than enough seats available on the plane, but YOU are not going to fly tonight. Call Boyko Borisov if you wish (the prime minister-b.a.), nobody can help you. You are more than welcome to buy another ticket for tomorrow – 530 euro”. I was denied boarding despite the fact that I offered to pay whatever difference in rates there might be because I MUST get back to Stockholm that night due to the fact that I had an exam. In a very demonstrative manner she picked up the phone and told the guy at the check in to close the flight. She also added that I should have done my reservation through their(not too cheap) call center. I used to think that these people are there to calm down the customer if they cannot do anything else, not to bring him to a breakdown – I was literally standing there crying out of helplessness and humiliation. Also, I chose to travel with a “normal” airline, which I thought Austrian Airlines was, not because I have money to burn, but because I thought I would avoid the pathetic attempts of the low-cost airlines to wring the last dollar out of the customer. Alas... So far I had spent just under 1000 euro for that roundtrip. I have flown A LOT and over the whole world and I had never encountered a problem like that before, and especially accompanied by such terrible customer service, which I would not expect even from the Bulgarian public administration nowadays, let alone from a huge private company like Austrian Airlines/Lufthansa. Of course, I contacted the customer service department, who just refered me to the Terms and Conditions on their website and didn't even bother to answer to my second email.

“Terrible...cancelled flight with no explaination.”

written by on 02/02/2013

Cancelled flight with no explaination. Given accomodation and a meal voucher but nothing to drink. Great way to treat customers ......never again.

“Charged me for rebooking flight they refused to let me...”

written by dropjohn on 12/01/2013

When traveling from Armenia back to the US, I was pulled out of the check in line in Yerevan by Austrian Air, and told that due to my connecting flights being cancelled I would not be allowed to board the flight (the trip was four flights, the first two being on Austrian Air; flights to the Eastern seaboard were cancelled due to Hurricane Sandy). I was assured I would be rebooked. The continuing flights (United) were rebooked, the first two flights were not. I ended up having to rebook the flights myself and pay for them out of pocket. I was assured that the charges would be refunded. They were not. I disputed the charges on my credit card, and Austrian Air is continuing to refuse to pay, even though they did not allow me to board. I am extremely dissatisfied, and that is putting it mildly.

“Austrian Airlines Business Class - Reminds me of the...”

written by on 05/01/2013

Traveled from DEL to IAD via Vienna ... Jan 4 2013 .. Very disappointing planes .. old and worn out .. seats are a tight squeeze .. Austrian crew was not very helpful .. i think they are generally cold unlike a lot of other airlines .. food was good though .. I think economy class on a the Tier 1 airlines like Singapore, Cathay etc are better than business class in this airline .. stay away till they upgrade their fleet ..

“NEVER FLY AUSTRIAN AIRLINES! (I definitely won’t)”

written by Aussiesylva on 04/09/2012

28/6/2012 I flew economy Bangkok to Vienna, 23/8/2012 Vienna to Bangkok - after 9 hours delay. Pity I did not realize that booking a flight Sydney - Vienna with Thai Airlines meant that half of it will be spent in a torture chamber called Austrian Airlines. I could rave for hours, but I suppose this could be sufficient: 1) Most uncomfortable seats I ever experienced 2) The worst food, mostly inedible, smelly and rotten salads 3) The worst cabin crew, rude and generally invisible I had wonderful Thai airlines (Sydney to Bangkok and back) to compare against. That made it even worse. There was no element I would actually like. Well - apart from getting me from A to B in one piece - even though the rattles, shakes, vibrations and beepings that sounded suspiciously like various alarms on the way from Bangkok were rather disconcerning, to say the least. I suppose I was "unlucky" to have bad experiences twice in a couple of months. On the other hand, reading other reviews, with Austrian Airlines they seem to be rather standard.

“AVOID THIS AIRLINE”

written by on 07/08/2012

As someone who used this airline 3 days ago I strongly suggest anyone considering to use Austrian not to do it. I am not wealthy and do usually shop around for cheap flights, but this was definitely worth every miserable penny. In the future, I will simply save more money and be treated with respect on board of another airline. Like I said, I recently went on a holiday to Thailand with Austrian and on the flight to Bangkok was seated on one of those places with an emergency exit so there were no seats in front of me. I asked the attendant if I can place my jumper and tolietries bag on the floor in front of me as I needed these frequently during the 9 hour flight (other people had them as well)and they said no problem. Half an hour later, another attendant comes along, picks up my items and throws them into the toilet on the floor!The woman next to me was a stranger and she observed this in horror. Why on earth this happened, I will never find out. I didn't get an apology. On the flight back to Vienna, my seat was broken, would recline, but would return to starting position within seconds. I called an attendant and no one turned up. When they started serving dinner I told them about the problem and demostrated, but she shrugged her shoulders and said "what do you want me to do?"I said it was their problem as I paid over a thousand euros for my ticket and would expect some basic comfort during a long haul flight and am not happy. She said "sorry, the plane is full I can't help you" and just went. Sitting in that terrible short hard seat for over 9 hours and not being able to recline the seat was dreadful and to think my ticket paid wages of abrupt rude staff made me determined to let people know about this. You could be one of the lucky ones who experience no problems, but you're also taking a huge gamble with this lot.If you get a problem, the staff won't help you. They look bored, tired and not interested.Do yourself a favour and choose a decent airline that will treat you like a valued customer.

Fanb's Comment

Written on: 10/10/2012

you cant keep your hand luggage stuff on the floor if you are sitting in the exit row !! everybody knows that.. its even in the pre departure movie ... sorry about the broken seat .. if the plane was full there was obviously nothing they could do .. the good thing is that from october they gonna change the seats in economy and business class ..

“NEVER USE THIS AIRLINE”

written by Josehernandez1182 on 06/06/2012

I was wating on the gate for departure when they told me I couldn't take my carry on bag with me even thought it was small they told every body that but they allowed most people to take there carry on but not mine. I was going to get engaged and I had my engagement ring in the carry on and they lost my bag!!!! I will NEVER FLY WITH THIS AIRLINE AND I DON'T RECOMEND ANY BODY TO FLY WITH THIS ALIRLINE!!!!!!

“Wow, amazed at how shoddy the airplane and inflight...”

written by on 07/05/2012

Viena to JFK flight. Overhead luggage space was limited. Inflight entertainment circa 1990. Seats reminescent of Aeroflot, with precious little leg room. But, very attentive and helpful service, decent and even good food. Flight on time.