Minelab Quattro MP Reviews

Minelab Quattro MP - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Minelab Quattro MP

Minelab Quattro MP

“minelab quattro mp metal detector.”

Written on: 28/06/2014 by NathenHays (1 review written)

this is a very good metal detector.... it gets very good depth. if anybody says anything negative about this metal detector I can assure you that this person has not learned how to use it. I have had free minelab Metal Detectors so far I had the etrac which was very good and I also had a Explorer II which is about the same as the Quattrothe only difference is that the Quattro only uses one set of numbers to simplify the operation and the sounds are almost the same except for the Quattro has higher pitches which I like a lot better I have had a lot more luck and success with the Quattro then I did the Explorer 2 and for the E-trak I had very good success and very good luck but if you can't afford to buy the e track I would strongly suggest buying a Quattro if you can get one at a good price I paid 350 for mine and it becomes very very useful as you learn the Machine as any other metal detector.this metal detector love's quarters and dimes I would have to say the deepest quarters I have dog war in the 1 foot range and dimes at 10 inches this is running the detector at a lower sensitivity of about 15 where are the detector runs very stable .

“I have owned my quattro since 2008, bought for just...”

Written on: 15/05/2011

I have owned my quattro since 2008, bought for just £300 used only 10 times. I used it with the standard dd slimline coil once and have never used it since. It was very unstable the earlier dd coils seem more favourable (slightly different design). I bought a 12x10 sef and have never looked back, i also have an 8x6 sef and love that too. It eats cut quarters, the 8x6 gives a crisper signal on them though.I use ferrous tones and cancel out -10 to -8. I have found that with a sensitivity of 13 in a mid trash environment gets best results, start crancking the sens and you miss some of those smaller bits. Only minus is weight. Oh and never noise cancel if you're not getting any interference, you knock out frequencies.

“Minelab Quattro MP is easy to use, eliminates iron and...”

Written on: 17/03/2009 by Quattroboy (1 review written)

Minelab Quattro MP is easy to use, eliminates iron and coke, has visual and aural identification, but like so many things in life - getting to know the machine is the very best advice.
And that takes time. Practice, Practice, Practice.
The Quattro is powerful, but underestimated against it's bigger brother the Explorer.
I have found 15thC silver hammered, old & modern jewellery and much more !
A good machine, with a small following, secondhand prices allow one to experiment without too much grief from the Wife. Bad points are weight and cost.
Buy rechargeables !

“This Minelab Quattro MP machine is more than what you...”

Written on: 31/01/2009 by gump01 (1 review written)

This Minelab Quattro MP machine is more than what you will ever need. It is so easy to just turn on and go. However should you require that extra muscle then this machine can cope. Maybe not the machine for uninitiated but for those willing to train themselves and the machine, I see nothing else on the market at this price that comes any where near to what can be achieved with a little patience and perseverance. You get what you pay for and this is worth every penny and has some great new touches which make your hobby that little bit easier.

“ The Minelab Quattro MP is well built. Does not live...”

Written on: 25/01/2008

The Minelab Quattro MP is well built. Does not live up to the hype. Can be outperformed by cheaper detectors. Heavy, poor pinpointing, average performance.

Slykep's Comment

Written on: 29/12/2013

it is poor on pinpointing the reason it is a multi freq. detector…All multi detectors no matter what brand is poor on pinpointing … That is no reason to knock it you must not know much about detectors

Read 1 Comment

“I have owned my Minelab Quattro MP metal detector...”

Written on: 29/04/2006 by RBlack (1 review written)

I have owned my Minelab Quattro MP metal detector since October 2005. Since that time, I have been to the beach twice with it, and I have searched old home sites dating back to the 1920's, a vacant lot where an old church once stood, and I have searched several parks. The detector will definitely sing to you. Unfortunately, the two beach trips (full days each) resulted in approx $2 in coins and a bunch of trash. Searching the old home sites produced one modern quarter. The old church site? Nothing but trash. The parks produced approx $1 in coins, including one wheatie (and trash, trash, trash).

I'm not saying that the Quattro fails to find things. Just the opposite is true. This detector finds EVERYTHING. The problem is in the readings. Examples:

1) A modern U.S. quarter gives a 38 reading, as do some types of cans and other trash.
2) Pennies give 32-35 reading, but so do a million other things, including soda/beer cans.
3) A nickel gives a 15 reading, but so do various other trash items.

If you cancel out these codes, you also cancel out the coins. Some say that you should go by the tone and not go by the pictures or the numbers. If this is true, then why are they even there? As reference only? I have dug far too many holes on false "references" provided by this detector.

All of this negative review aside, I still give this detector "middle-of-the-road" 5's, though I would not recommend it to a friend, or anyone else for that matter (at this time). The VERY GENEROUS 5's are only given due to the likelihood that this detector is probably not being used to its full potential by me (though, believe me, I have TRIED to learn it). Maybe in another couple of years I will have finally learned how to use this detector successfully, at which time my review scores will increase, I will recommend it to friends, and will not feel as cheated in the purchase of this item as I do at this time.

Mijimijim's Response to RBlack's Review

Written on: 19/09/2012

It's the trick to recognize the tone in combination with the number. In that way you can, with a little practice, determinate what the object most likely is. Good luck, metaldetecting isn't just swinging a stick over the ground!

Read 1 Comment

“The Quattro MP is a great new Metal Detector from...”

Written on: 08/09/2005 by bobsmyuncle (2 reviews written)

The Quattro MP is a great new Metal Detector from Minelab. Just switch on and go. Suits those new to the hobby. On my first trip out with it, I found a handful of coins and a Silver ring. Only thing letting it down is the weight. You won't need gym membership if you own one of these. Well worth the £575 I spent.