Marks & Spencer Furniture Reviews

• Layout of shop

Marks and Spencer Furniture - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Marks and Spencer Furniture

Marks and Spencer Furniture

“Abbey standard 2 seater sofa”

Written on: 29/07/2022 by Strawberg (1 review written)

I ordered an Abbey large 2 seater sofa and an Abbey small 2 seater. (Could not view or try the small one as none ever in stock!) However, thought it would be same height arms and back. Now delivered, the two do not match, and the small sofa is less deep and the height is less. I thought it would just be shorter in length. I wanted a sort of chesterfield style which the larger sofa is but you seem to sit upon the small one and not in it. Also wrong colour feet delivered for that one and the fronts of the seat cushions are puckered. I wrote several emails to MandS and phoned but not happy with their response. Although sympathetic not very helpful. They’re getting another firm to assess my complaint so I had to upload photos but a ‘no reply’ email so couldn’t explain properly to them! Apart from this my delivery date was delayed, the delivery men were clueless told me they hadn’t paperwork to take my old sofa away - then found it. I had to give one a mask as he had none with him. Unable to comprehend my instructions very well, and weren’t very careful when ripping off the packaging with a Stanley knife! No joy with mandS customer service. I bought these two sofas in their sale, so would need to return this one at a cost of £25 and then order another large two seater at full price! I felt they could have done more for me. Every email I sent went to a different person. Not a good shopping experience at all!

“3 piece suite disaster”

Written on: 03/05/2022 by Oldprop (1 review written)

3 piece suite ordered in August 2021. Delivered on time 13 weeks later. All 3 units defective hence we rejected it. Obviously it had not benn sujected to any meaningful quality control.Inspection M&S confirmed our complaint. New suite was commissioned. 13 week wait again. On arrival 2 items defective. So, 5 out of 6 substandard units. Repair visit no 1; 1 unit repaired. Second unit deemed to need longer visit. Repair visit 2...failed to resolve problem. New parts required. So, a 8/9 weeks wait for items. Repair visit 3...successful. In summary...8 months to complete order; 5 defective units; 3 repairs. Goodwill gesture meagure and miserly. Rejected and then partially increased but not to a realistic amount. Our last 3 piece was from M&S...Standards have plumbed to unacceptable levels.

“Buyer beware ”

Written on: 22/03/2022 by Garza220 (1 review written)

Bought a 3 piece suite. The salesperson wrote the size specifications on the order form which stated that the height dimensions of the chairs and sofa as the same. When arrived the sofa is very obviously higher than the chairs. Maks are not prepared to do anything about it. They say the sofa is to specifications even though it's not the measurements the salesperson gave us. In addition the delivery men made a mess of putting the feet on the furniture and marks had to send an independent company out to fix this. Very disappointed. Won't be buying from Marks again

“DO NOT BUY FURNITURE FROM M&S”

Written on: 08/02/2022 by camilladyer (2 reviews written)

I ordered a Nantucket Corner Sofa from M&S in March 2021. After extensive delays, false promises and endless phone calls, it was finally delivered in Aug 2021. I ordered the Aqua Clean fabric with the promises that you can clean 'coffee-stained, sauce-splattered or accidentally coloured in by the kids' off with just water. I got some WATER. Yes just water from my water bottle on it. Sponged with a cloth and rubbed gently in circular motions (as directed by the instructions), and it has left a huge water mark which is impossible to remove. I also got a teeny bit of melted chocolate on the sofa. Again, I used a damp cloth (using just water), rubbed lightly in circular motions, and when the fabric fully dried, it has left a water mark which is FAR worse than the initial chocolate. I contacted M&S Furniture who passed it onto a third party 'home service technician' that they use and they came back with "This is customer accidental damage, customer has soaked the fabric to remove small marks, the soaking of the fabric has left a water mark, this is no fault of the fabric ". I'm absolutely appalled! The fabric is NOT as they described. It is NOT fit for purpose. I have followed all of their instructions for cleaning and I did NOT 'soak' the fabric. How dare they accuse a customer of lying so blatantly, and not take ANY responsibility and try to RESOLVE this. DO NOT BUY FURNITURE FROM M&S. The quality is not worth the money. And if you have any issues they WILL NOT provide any aftercare. I will be taking this to the Furniture Ombudsman, Trading Standards and the finance company who the sofa has been 'purchased' through. Shocking!! Zero starts if I could!!

“Poor Communication - NOT RECOMMENDED”

Written on: 18/01/2022 by 191Proctor (1 review written)

I bought a sofa bed - advertised as available with one week delivery. Delivery date booked, all correspondence was great and via email. I took unpaid time off work to accept delivery. The day arrived, no communication, had to chase and they claimed that they had called to say that the item wasn't in stock and wouldn't be delivered. The delivery date available is weeks later plus they stated that offer no compensation for their error but would send a 'gesture of goodwill' (non specified) only once I had taken delivery. No apology or acceptance of their error. Completely accepting that delays happen but good communication would have made this situation manageable and I wouldn't have been out of pocket financially.

“Don't buy M&S furniture”

Written on: 03/12/2021 by Lollie234 (1 review written)

DO NOT BUY FURNITURE M&S Summer 2021 I ordered a 3 seater Oscar sofa and a 1½ Oscar Love Seat both in House Velvet, and both with the upgraded cushion seats at an extra £150 (relaxed fibre). I waiting until 26/10 when then were delivered . I complained immediately to M&S within 2 weeks in fact ten days of delivery that the springs within the seat cut into you within a half hour of sitting in the seats, they logged this as being initially the Love Seat as this is where I predominantly sit and there is only myself sitting on them. ( The cats might complain yet) The guy I initially spoke to on the furniture helpline was very helpful and understanding and he himself stated I may as well have been better with the cheaper foam bounce back interior but he booked a representative from Castelan Ltd to inspect the sofas ... Castelan visited on the 24/11 an older man on his own he bounced into the chair for less than a minute, removed the cushions, placed an arrow on the seats, and then proceeded to rip the Hessian base from my chair, at this point I could watch no more ... Then he was off, a visit that took no more start to finish than 15mins nearer 10.. Report came back 24hrs later that there was nothing wrong with my chairs, I called the helpline again (2nd x, 25/11 ) and the girl informed me that Castelan had reported that I was feeling STITCHING, and my only line of complaint was now Furniture Onbudusman, how on earth I can feel stitching as opposed to metal work is utterly beyond me .. She was very understanding and tried to book another castelan tech to come out, again noting my complaint, and advised if no booking email within 48hrs to phone back...it never appeared.. I called the furniture helpline again the girl was very understanding and has tried again to book castelan 1/12...no booking email again has appeared. I since the inspection have had to cut down a thick yoga mat to sandwich inbetween the chair and the cushions on both the love seat and the sofas, I turn the things every day it makes absolutely no difference, the cushion foam is ridiculously thin and is incased in this nasty cheap polyester thread cottonwool, which bunches up... Please please DO NOT buy sofas from M&S thinking you are buying worry free quality furniture,... The truth is you are buying cheap fashion that is available elsewhere, it's horrendously uncomfortable and there is no customer service for quality of care whatsoever.. No sofas were available in store to try before I purchased these.. The stress of this has actually had me in bed today, it's all to much and I don't want to see them let alone the fact I just can't use them...I was trying my damnest to have a lovely sitting room that's taken months because of CoVid etc and now this ... Absolutely heartbroken.. Please please do not buy their furniture

Ss101's Response to Lollie234's Review

Written on: 13/03/2022

I had a very simpler experience, bought sofa last year without being able to see in store - although a different issue with the Oscar Sofa.

The cushions do not hold their shape and it takes a lot of 'maintenance' pluming to keep it looking acceptable. M&S issued more detailed weekly and monthly 'maintenance' advice.

Castelan visited (twice) and reported that the type of filling required to be plumped EVERYTIME they were used - not as per the instructions. M&S were not interested, there as no manufacturing fault as this is how the cushions were suppose to perform but this is not the advice or the way M&S are marketing them.

Very poor quality - do not buy. You will also note that there are no reviews on the M&S website for their sofas, I asked them to publish my review but am still waiting!

Sarahquain's reply to Ss101's Comment

Written on: 04/05/2022

I am really interested to read your review and really sorry that has left you feeling so upset. I ordered two sofas from Marks & Spencer‘s in February I was pleased to take delivery of them last Saturday.

However it quickly became apparent that I had ordered the wrong size (my fault). I contacted Marks & Spencer‘s and spoke to a lovely lady who was so sympathetic and understanding. She arranged for the collection of the two sofas. My observation was though that the cushions that you sit on, although they are the bounce back (which I already have in a Marks & Spencer‘s Abbey suite – very comfortable) these ones were rocksolid. I went into store a couple of days ago and tried all the sofas. None of the cushions were anywhere near as firm as the ones that have been delivered to my house, so I mentioned this to the ladies when I ordered the new size furniture. Now I am anticipating the new furniture with dread as if the cushions are rockhard again, although Marks & Spencer‘s will take it back, I am back to square one again with a three month wait for some new furniture and I really don’t know where to go to ensure comfort as I have always been a Marks & Spencer‘s girl. Do I just cancel now to save all the upset?!

Read 2 Comments

“Undelivered furniture, unresolved still”

Written on: 25/11/2021 by Azariai210 (1 review written)

I ordered 2 couches to be delivered after an 18 week wait. One arrived, which is against m&s policy I was later told. I called m&s and they said they would email the courier to find out what had happened and phone me back. Instead of waiting for them to send an email!!! I phoned the courier and they told me the other couch was on another lorry waiting to leave the manufacturer’s and would be delivered the next week. The day it was due the courier called and told me they hadn’t received it. Still not heard from M&S. I phoned them again and they apologised and said they will raise a discrepancy and get back to me the next day. Nothing! I phoned them every other day until they told me to send the swatch from the delivered couch to the manufacturer and they would send a SAE, that took 10 days. So here we are 10 days on and I’ve now been told that they won’t do anything until the investigation has been concluded. Also, I received a email saying ‘we are sorry that you are unhappy with the service you’re receiving’, really!! Should that not read ‘I’m sorry that the service you are getting is absolutely awful and I’ll do everything in my power to get this resolved as quickly as possible’. Never will I get anything from them again.

Toppps's Comment

Written on: 04/12/2021

Same happened to me, one sofa turned up, no communication from then. Waiting to hear back from them. Is yours resolved now?

Finley2013's Comment

Written on: 04/12/2021

Sort of, new sofa is made and just waiting for wincanton to schedule delivery. Still being told by the referral team that they haven’t had an update!! However I emailed the ceo, and an executive from his office called and within 24hrs I had answers

Finley2013's Comment

Read 3 Comments

“FADED MATERIAL”

Written on: 22/10/2021 by Bigbear19 (1 review written)

Poor quality dark blue OSCAR sofa& chair Bought a dark blue OSCAR sofa& chair in April, by August it had faded in places, M&S expert came out said it looked 6 year old, M&S did nothing about it saying UV damage! DO NOT BUY a dark blue it is not fit for purpose and M&S will do nothing about it. If you do buy one cover it up or leave it in the dark. Not impressed with M&S and may never purchases anything again from them.

“Delay after delay”

Written on: 08/10/2021 by nzTaylor125 (1 review written)

Ordered sofa in May, paid in full, delivery was due July so gave away my old sofa. We're now waiting for our 4th delivery date to be met 14th Oct. All this time with no where to sit other than a garden chair, which has caused me back problems. The customer service is awful, no one updates you or calls, you have to do the chasing yourself. Emails promise a 48 hr response which doesn't happen, or your in a queue for a call back which doesn't happen. Was even promised a temporary sofa,that didn't happen. Each person tells you a different reason for the delay, it's shocking. How can they get away with continuing to sell more sofas etc when they already have such a huge backlog, it is clear they are unable to cope with the cases. Its got to be pure greed.

Davids1946's Comment

Written on: 30/11/2021

I Was in exactly the same position ordered and paid in full in May order due July after 5 delivery date finally got our Oscar corner unit the end of November . The customer service given by M&S was shocking --NEVER AGAIN

Read 1 Comment

“Don’t even consider buying from them”

Written on: 07/10/2021 by ADunwoody (1 review written)

I bought a 4 seater, 2 seater, chair and stool in the Oscar range. Getting it delivered was a nightmare but that’s a different story. It was eventually delivered on 30th August, 4 weeks to the day after it was delivered we were sitting on the 4 seater (2 of us), there was a loud crack and we felt the frame give way beneath us. I rang M&S the next day (Tuesday) who said someone would be in touch within 48 hours to arrange for a technician to come out. Friday I rang again, later that afternoon someone from the company they use rang and said there was no one available in my area, she couldn’t give me a date but it would be at least November. I have emailed M&S, sent a message on Twitter and all I get is they’re very busy and there’s nothing they can do until a technician sees it. I wish I’d read the reviews before ordering. I’m now left with a sofa that we can’t sit on and God only knows how long it’s going to take to get it sorted.

“Sofa collapsed. 6 year guarantee not respected.”

Written on: 23/09/2021 by TalanSweeney322 (1 review written)

Our 3 seater Copenhagen sofa collapsed within the guarantee period. It has taken 6 months and 2 referrals to the ombudsman ( who upheld our claim) to gain a partial refund of what we are entitled to. The sofa build is shoddy; the customer service is useless. Offers made, then denied. Don't be fooled by M&S' reputation. We have been astonished by their response.

“Should be zero stars but not an option!! Sofa order...”

Written on: 14/09/2021 by Simssw127 (1 review written)

Should be zero stars but not an option!! Sofa order placed and paid in full 1st June 2021 Having waited in for the confirmed delivery on 23rd August, I contacted Wincanton after the allocated delivery time and was informed that I should have been notified by M&S that they were not in receipt of the goods and therefore the reason delivery had not taken place as scheduled. I was assured on 24th August 2021 that my furniture had subsequently arrived with Wincanton early that morning. I was however disheartened to learn that the next available delivery date was 8th September 2021 but I had no other option but to accept this. 8th September 2021 I received a phone call from the delivery driver, 30 minutes into the 2 hour delivery slot, to advise that the furniture is not however in stock so delivery would not be taking place as promised. I feel M&S have acted unfairly in taking full payment for goods so far in advance and which they have now failed to deliver on 2 occasions. Failure to deliver within a reasonable time and after the agreed deadline is a breach under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Despite having already relayed the above upset via customer service during numerous calls and emails, there’s no help whatsoever. I feel tricked and absolutely appalled by the lack of communication and ‘customer service’. Update 10 September 2021 - still no communication at all from Marks & Spencer despite multiple emails, telephone calls to ‘customer service’ operators who can’t or won’t help and messages via the ‘Contact Us’ options on their website - how about ‘M&S Contact Us’!! One operator did offer a £50 M&S voucher whilst I wait for a response, an absolute insult in relation to the value of my order, the STRESS and the loss of earnings taking time off work. Had I chose to cancel the delivery date within 3 days then I would have to pay £100, it obviously doesn’t work both ways otherwise I’m owed £200 so far. 13th September 2021 - contacted M&S twice since and to be told that the order was sent to the wrong depot. 14th September 2021 No further on and at my wits end waiting on communication as to when my furniture will be delivered. AN ABSOLUTE SHAMBLES! DO NOT ORDER FURNITURE UNLESS YOU ARE HAPPY TO PART WITH YOUR HARD EARNED CASH AND THEN WILLING TO BE KEPT IN THE DARK WITH NO CLUE AS TO WHETHER YOU WILL ACTUALLY RECEIVE YOUR ORDER.

Gillian-Elsie's Comment

Written on: 30/09/2021

I have had exactly the same experience. Customer service is non existent.
I ordered 2 sofas and paid in full in April ‘21.The initial delivery time when placing my order was 12 weeks, this was changed as soon as payment had been revived to 16 weeks.
16 weeks later, the day before my delivery date, and once I had dospised of my current lounge furniture, I received an email advising me the delivery would not be taking place. Several calls later, which I had to make, I was told it was the suppliers fault and delivery would be another 5 weeks, I was offered £50 goodwill gesture, which I declined. 5 weeks later I finally took delivery of the most uncomfortable pair of sofas known to man. Throughout this, M&S customer service have been appalling. I always had to contact them, having to wait around 30 mins each time for an operator to answer. On one occasion, having called the furniture customer service line, I had to deal with an extremely rude, unhelpful woman who told me she wasn’t part of the furniture team and told me it was ‘pot luck’ who answered the calls. She then told me to contact them through ‘contact us’.
My advice … DO NOT BUY FROM M&S

Read 1 Comment

“Such appalling service ”

Written on: 13/09/2021 by Littlekv66 (1 review written)

Please save yourself money and… Please save yourselves money and stress. Cheap quality and appalling customer service. Four chests of drawers, all damaged, staple holes completely covered the back of each one, an extra leg at back is a plain piece of wood! drawer knobs completely different to ones advertised, drawers aren’t aligned, and are unfinished, bubble paint marks, scratches. Delivery was fraught to say the least, disrespectful and most definitely not covid friendly. They dragged furniture across my floors, leaving polystyrene in every room, then told me to clean it up? I’m a disabled pensioner using a Zimmer frame. I actually sat and cried a number of times throughout weeks of trying to get things sorted. Spoke to someone called Tiz, who actually suggested the holes at back of drawers were staple marks, and that’s exactly what they are! Obviously an issue that doesn’t get sorted, as I replaced one chest for another colour, which arrived six weeks later, complete with staple holes!! she did give me a discount on all of the drawers, but the problems continued. Once you get a discount, they don’t want to communicate, making it difficult to email, leaving you on hold, going on holiday every other week etc. I think they fit them, so you won’t notice the damage, the drawers in my bedroom still has polystyrene and cardboard covering the strange extra leg at the back. It’s far to cumbersome to move, so I’ve left it in situ. I’m left with unfinished furniture and a scratch wooden floor. They sent paint pens without informing me of this plan, then emailed to say someone would come out and paint the plain piece of wood on another chest?? I’m sure the idea was for me to paint it myself, I flatly refused to allow them back in my home for safety reasons, and the blatant disregard they have for you and your home. I spent over £1000, didn’t check reviews, as most people say, I didn’t think I needed to as it was M&S, my own fault. Total waste of money, but the stress was, and still is despairing. We are not just customers, we are human beings. They should hang their heads in shame. I would like to add photos, but there doesn’t seem to be an option for it! Please save yourself money and… Please save yourselves money and stress. Cheap quality and appalling customer service. Four chests of drawers, all damaged, staple holes completely covered the back of each one, an extra leg at back is a plain piece of wood! drawer knobs completely different to ones advertised, drawers aren’t aligned, and are unfinished, bubble paint marks, scratches. Delivery was fraught to say the least, disrespectful and most definitely not covid friendly. They dragged furniture across my floors, leaving polystyrene in every room, then told me to clean it up? I’m a disabled pensioner using a Zimmer frame. I actually sat and cried a number of times throughout weeks of trying to get things sorted. Spoke to someone called Tiz, who actually suggested the holes at back of drawers were staple marks, and that’s exactly what they are! Obviously an issue that doesn’t get sorted, as I replaced one chest for another colour, which arrived six weeks later, complete with staple holes!! she did give me a discount on all of the drawers, but the problems continued. Once you get a discount, they don’t want to communicate, making it difficult to email, leaving you on hold, going on holiday every other week etc. I think they fit them, so you won’t notice the damage, the drawers in my bedroom still has polystyrene and cardboard covering the strange extra leg at the back. It’s far to cumbersome to move, so I’ve left it in situ. I’m left with unfinished furniture and a scratch wooden floor. They sent paint pens without informing me of this plan, then emailed to say someone would come out and paint the plain piece of wood on another chest?? I’m sure the idea was for me to paint it myself, I flatly refused to allow them back in my home for safety reasons, and the blatant disregard they have for you and your home. I spent over £1000, didn’t check reviews, as most people say, I didn’t think I needed to as it was M&S, my own fault. Total waste of money, but the stress was, and still is despairing. We are not just customers, we are human beings. They should hang their heads in shame. I would like to add photos, but there doesn’t seem to be an option for it!

“Poor poor poor”

Written on: 26/08/2021 by Stevspen (1 review written)

We had a two seater settee and a chair delivered in January this year... In August we complained about the way the furniture was wearing, bear in mind we are a household of two adults only. We sent the requested photos from which we are told it is fair wear and tear!!! Perhaps they should have said " what do you expect from poor quality furniture". We will be taking this further. DO NOT BUY FURNITURE FROM MARKS AND SPENCERS..

“Unacceptable delay”

Written on: 22/08/2021 by Clairejh (1 review written)

Still waiting for my sofas after ordering in April with a July delivery date. 2 days before delivery date I was told they didn’t have it . Despite chasing weekly I am none the wiser as to when I will get it!! They reply with their standard response which tells me exactly NOThING. Terrible service - I will never order from them again

Kadyrae13's Response to Clairejh's Review

Written on: 06/09/2021

I too have been waiting 14 weeks for my sofa only to receive an email 2 days before my delivery date saying delay. They had a completely different phone number to mine. Just not acceptable

Jane987's reply to Kadyrae13's Comment

Written on: 08/10/2021

I too have been waiting with no where to sit since July, I gave my old sofa away, 2 days before the original expected delivery date. I m waiting on my 4 delivery date of 14 Oct. See what happens but not hopeful.
No one contacts you to let you know, they tell you to email but you just get a standard reply, 'we will contact you in 48 hrs' no one does. Some of the email addresses don't work. Everyone you speak to gives a different reason for the delay. Shambolic at best. How can they still be selling furniture that they cannot deliver or clear backlog, it's pure greed.

Read 2 Comments

“Really Bad. do not order from them”

Written on: 18/08/2021 by Smitha123 (1 review written)

We were expected delivery today. Received messages saying good news. furniture delivery on 18th. you will be intimated 2 days of delivery time slot. no message. call today. after a hour wait im told production issues, delivery will now take place on 15th September. we've already disposed off our 2 sofas and have no seating in living room. Absolutely terrible and disgusting.

“Faulty service and bad customer services. ”

Written on: 13/08/2021 by Harry1804 (1 review written)

Had sofa and chair delivered on Monday. After checking them they are both faulty. Hoke in back of chair. Joke in sofa and looks like a mental bar coming out of the bottom. I called marks only to be told put it in an email someone will contact u I within 72 hours. No one as contacted me so I called this morning only to be left on hold for 40 minutes waiting for a manager who never came.lady said sorry but they busy and u in a queue I said where am in the queue to which she said don’t know. I now have to recall again cos no one to take call I’ve been left in limbo I need to find out what they intend to do. But I can’t handle the stress it’s been before that being told people would call and don’t and writhin three days Tgey had told me three different things were my sofa was delayed. I refuse to make this I’ll and going to ask them to collect it and give me my money back. I thought marks was different to that but am so upset and disgusted and still waiting after five days to talk to some one. I purchased a Lincoln sofa and chair which are both faulty.

“Terrible service”

Written on: 06/08/2021 by Murray383 (1 review written)

Bought a corner suite after two days the cushion started sagging to one side. Eventually managed to contact Marks and Spencer to be told send in pictures. 6 weeks later they eventually respond expert looked at your photographs looks great to them so were washing our hands of you go to furniture ombudsman if you want to take it further. Dont buy from them their after sales are terrible.

Adele2021's Response to Murray383's Review

Written on: 17/08/2021

I'm currently having the same thing with a £1700 Sophia Extra Large Leather sofa.
The leather is peeling, it's 18 months old. They have said the exact same thing. Someone examined photos and basically, not a problem. Go ombudsman if I like.

Lollie234's Response to Murray383's Review

Written on: 03/12/2021

Same within 10 days of receiving Oscar sofa and love seat I could feel spring dig into my backside M&S are doing nothing after Castelan tech visited told contact ombudsman absolutely brokenhearted £1500 out of pocket single mum with PTSD

“Bad delivery ”

Written on: 26/07/2021 by Jovanh104 (1 review written)

Now been waiting for over 3 months for delivery. Poor customer service just a a note on Web page saying sorry. Do not use. Expect more from a reputable company.

“Appalling company and service”

Written on: 19/07/2021 by QuintinRobertson (1 review written)

Received cora furniture back in May,when assembled wardrobe did not ensign,pre drilled holes too small,doors wouldn't close Castellan technician wrote,no manufacturing faults Off to furniture ombudsman. And today July 19 th,a chest of drawers delivered, delivery drivers took away ,reluctantly cardboard leaving plastic cover,on removing plastic,leg on dresser broken You've guessed it,we are lumbered with a broken chest of drawers sat in hallway whilst awaiting the famous Castellan technician to visit,that's after awaiting the email,completing on line form and sending photos. On receiving the previous report about the wardrobes, the technician wrote we are elderly, living in semi and came to report on sofa We are actually 57,live in detached property and he came regards wardrobe Not relishing next visit Just amazing what we now have to go through, when furniture delivered broken