UK Online www.ukonline.net

• Reliability

• Speed Consistency

UK Online www.ukonline.net - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for UK Online www.ukonline.net

“On the pro package with LLU, 16mps regularly achieving...”

written by on 29/09/2010

On the pro package with LLU, 16mps regularly achieving 14mps.
No issues with Customer services, found them helpful and willing to spend time solving issues, even ringing back within 5 mins if the call is likely to be lengthy.
This is a no frills package, just emails and internet access without the usual home page offering uneeded links to forums etc.

“I've used ukonline for my personal internet service...”

written by cmhp on 28/09/2010

I've used ukonline for my personal internet service provision, at home, for about eight years now. The few problems I've encountered have been quickly and satisfactorily dealt with by intelligent customer service advisors. I have no complaints, only praise.

“UKonline is about as bad as it gets. It is so rare to...”

written by on 29/04/2010

UKonline is about as bad as it gets. It is so rare to actually get connected that when I do, I feel guilty, as if I'm an intruder and shouldn't be online. £10 a month for, well, a service that is entirely random. Needless to say, I am posting this at work...

[email protected] (just in case they read this and are in a position to act)

“i been with ukonline since 2000 when i got a pc and...”

written by on 08/01/2010

i been with ukonline since 2000 when i got a pc and for years it was fine , but over the last 2 years my email service has become a joke and i aint kidding.

15 mins to login or more or failed login
kicks out and requires re login at the drop of a hat

i have spoken and emailed them numerous times to be told to clear folders.
whats the point of the folder if you cant store stuff in it !
anyway this hasnt worked and thers something odd as they have removed the site status pages which explained when maintainence or a problem had occured.

i have another email address with google and its so much better / instant access evry time! but why should i have to change providers ???????

Cmhp's Comment

Written on: 28/09/2010

I found this review not helpful because... the reviewer is only talking about the email account, not the service provision.

“For me, it "does as says on the tin" i'm on...”

written by on 24/10/2009

For me, it "does as says on the tin" i'm on pro(8mb)llu,with fast path enabled,the speed i get never differs the same 24/7 no peak times ect,i generally download/upload around 60-70gb per month without a problem, when there is a problem they get it sorted out quickly(if it's within their control)if bt openreach's that's down to bt, maybe a bit more expensive than some but is a quality ISP

“I'm with UKO ipstream connection. I've been with them...”

written by on 02/09/2009

I'm with UKO ipstream connection. I've been with them for 9 months and the connection has been atrocious. Throttling/packet shaping (their website says they do not do this.....rubbbish). They blame all of it on BT, and it's not their fault (UKO).
But the parent company SkyBB have not allowed enough money for the capacity that is required for UKO to support the people who are paying for the connection, so it appears they (UKO) run out of capacity.
If on the otherhand you can get their LLU connection, then all seems to be well.
So, goto http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php .... input your village/ town / city name and a list will show you if UKO are LLUed there.

“ I have given UK Online a 5 basically because, if you...”

written by Gr1mRe4pEr on 05/02/2009

I have given UK Online a 5 basically because, if you are with their LLU service, you get good speeds, very low latency to gaming servers (10-15ms) and no need to call up for any support. I moved house to an area where Easynet did not unbundle the exchange, but I decided to stick with UKOnline as their network was fantastic.

As a previous revewer described, after 5pm packet loss to gaming servers, even UK servers was at 30% with a latency of 120ms. If I was lucky, I could reconnect my broadband and join with 30-40ms and 5% packet loss. But I could quit that server, give it 5 minutes and reconnect with 30% loss and 120ms again. Spent several months with technical support who, in all fairness, answered quickly and were always trying to help. I tried lowering my connection speed and even moved from IPStream to ADSL MAX to try resolve the issue, still with no results. One confusing aspect was, I could connect to a gaming server with 120ping 30 loss etc, but a ping/tracerout through the command prompt at the same time would come up with 20-30ms results. Eventually I said to technical, thanks for the support but its time to go and they were opologetic and passed me to customer services. I asked for my mac code which turned up within 2 days. Still ahve 7 months of contract left, but it appears they will not be charging.

I say recommend to a friend, but only if their exchange is unbundled.

“Generally very happy with UK Online. They are now part...”

written by on 17/12/2008

Generally very happy with UK Online. They are now part of the Sky group and if your exchange is unbundled and they have their own equipment in the service is pretty reliable.

It's great having free calls to technical support who are available 24 hours.

The only downside is that they don't do packages with phone included so it works out a bit pricey compared to talktalk and tiscali, but I'm too scared to move to the them given the reviews I've read...

“”

written by BleedingAngl on 14/12/2008

Have been with ukonline for around 3 years, not until recently had a problem. For the last 8 week i have had major problems with packetloss, run dan elwells broadband speed test

8% Packetloss To Uk Servers
16-24% Packetloss To Eu Servers
24-38% Packetloss To US Servers

Anybody that plays online games knows that this is a killer, esp with an average ping to a uk server of 160. Went thru the general list of things, format, 3 different O/S, tcp tweaking, new router, new line filters, new ethernet cables, virus/spyware check, bt confirmed not a problem with the line. Out of desperation i tried to play COD 4 during the day on offpeak hours, not 1% of packetloss, then as soon as 5pm rolls in the packetloss starts. Got in touch with customer support via email, 2 weeks later they asked for traceroutes to game servers and bbc.com (which it timed out on), a week later they said there is no problem with line, had to wait nearly 7 days for my mac code to get off this service and still no sight of it.

Gr1Mre4Per's Response to 425132_BleedingAngl's Review

Written on: 05/02/2009

I agree with this review because...
<br/>
<br/>I have the exact same problem. 120ms to all server with 30loss constantly. Big Joke!
<br/>
<br/>Were you on IPStream or LLU?

“After being on Tesco Broadband (I am planning on...”

written by John Atkin on 20/05/2008

After being on Tesco Broadband (I am planning on writing a review on Tesco's broadband soon so see there later for my experience with them) for over 2 years and trying previously to migrate from them a year ago and not being able to due to the mac code they supplied not being acceptable to either of the ISPs I wanted to migrate to I decided once again to try and get a better deal.

I spent a considerable time looking at various review sites on the net and decided from what I saw that people have had problems of one sort or another with every ISP listed, so I had a dilema. Stick with the devil you know or take the bull by the horns abd go for it. I went for it and am very pleased with my new service. The whole switchover was smooth, any questions I had regarding re-configuring my router were sorted, I managed to sort it all out myself when the switchover happened because UK Online's website has all the information you need to configure the router yourself but was told if there were any problems changing the settings their tech support could tell me what settings need changing and how. I am on the "Pro" package which is 8mb Unlimited and although this is not as cheap as other ISPs offer, it does what it says on the packaging. I did a speed test earlier at peak time and got 7004kb/s download and 378kb/s upload which I have been told is very good in the area I live at peak time.

Overall I would definitely recommend them if you are reasonably skilled with setting up a router but even then if you are not at least they have FREE technical support that know and can tell you how to configure it yourself and what technical specifications your router needs to configure it correctly(which Tescos couldn't).

If you just want a good (but not the cheapest), honest broadband deal without loads of freebie bribes I would say give them a go.

“Having been with them a couple of years I have never...”

written by Happy dan on 22/01/2008

Having been with them a couple of years I have never found a problem with them, their engineers (even though being in India) they are generally helpful and tended to get things started. I'm happy with them and would recommend them anyone, use UK Online!

“Normally previous to the loss being unable to send...”

written by Bert Keane on 23/05/2007

Normally previous to the loss being unable to send e.mails the service at UK Online was ideal. I hope that my complaint can be rectified.

“Only if in a corner.”

written by AdamoCelo on 22/05/2007

Only if in a corner.

“It took 2 months to get the modem from them. ”

written by cyrus3740 on 28/02/2007

It took 2 months to get the modem from them.

I am paying for 1Mb broadband, but the actual speed is around 90kb (less than a tenth)! And the upload speed is about 20kb. I find it really difficult to use Skype or watch something online.

UK Online give you some web space, but you can't use your own domain name.

Don't use their email system, because you receive your emails one or two days later. (Just keep using your Hotmail).

Go for it if all you want to do is to check the weather forecast.

“As a relatively new customer to UK on Line, having...”

written by SRK on 05/01/2007

As a relatively new customer to UK on Line, having moved out of London about 8 month agao and forced to find another ISP service as Telewest Blueyonder was unable to provide coverage in my district, I am amazed and intrigued how poor UK on line customer service is in comparison to the latter. As for the technical service I resent having to wait more than 5 minutes to speak to someone when I am paying for the service and the telephone call!
Do not ever attempt to upgrade your broadband service with them if you are an existing customer, as it took them more than 15+ days to re-establish the service from 2 Mb to 8 Mb speed and was offered a dial up at 56 Kb in the interrim...Don't believe what they say on their website as invaribly when you call customer service you are given different information...confused!

“I only hope my experience will stop others from making...”

written by jonc on 03/01/2007

I only hope my experience will stop others from making the same mistake I did.

Do not use!

If I can turn away just a few people who were thinking about using this service it will be worthwhile.

“I have been with Ukonline for a number of years and...”

written by t1scw on 30/11/2006

I have been with Ukonline for a number of years and for the last three years on their pre-paid annual service 'OpenSurf', this year (2006) the service has been appalling, many times you cannot connect because it can not verify your account, supprisingly at these times you can connect using their 'Pay-as-you-Surf' connection. My renewal is due 30.11.06 and I found this review site whilst looking for another ISP!

270327_Blackmario's Response to t1scw's Review

Written on: 10/12/2006

I have to agree with SCW. The service has been of an unacceptable standard this weekend.
<br/>
<br/>UKonline were once so reliable.

“I have been with UK Online for about 5 years. When I...”

written by ndmewnham on 03/11/2006

I have been with UK Online for about 5 years. When I joined on dial-up and then moved to broadband, they were brilliant. I had a problem with a payment which was settled within 24 hours by a full refund. When the router power supply failed I had a new one within 24 hours of them getting the e-mail. When I found out they were offering new customers a lower price, I asked them and they reduced the price to the new customer price. This year I phoned them up about my service and they reduced the price. Up until this month I have been more than satisfied with UK Online.

This month I tried to change my bank details with UK Online - several calls later I think I've done it. Don't bother trying to e-mail this ISP, as all you get now is an automated reply and nothing happens. If you have a hands free speaker phone the UK Online customer and technical support line is a good time to use it, make sure you have coffee ready and are sitting comfortably. If you have (no) taste in music you may appreciate the effort while you wait. I have to admit after 10 minutes it does start to get a bit repetitive, and that is the absolute shortest time before I managed to speak to somebody - who then put me back on hold for five more minutes, as I went to the right department.

I finally decided that enough was enough and requested a MAC code, then the fun really started.

I was told the code would cost me, and that it would take 24 - 48 hours. After 168 hours I eventually managed to get it over the phone (only 17 minutes wait), along with "there is something wrong with our servers and we are trying to fix it", when I asked why I had no access to my e-mails or the Internet for the last 2 days - and I'm not holding my breath for them to fix it.

Roll on the move...

“UK Online has been unable to provide service for 4 of...”

written by MrHughes on 24/10/2006

UK Online has been unable to provide service for 4 of the 10 months that I have been with them.

Their research into these outages has been stunningly inept: they consistently misfile requests with BT, misdirect calls between their own internal departments, and seem incapable of finding, much less fixing, faults in their network.

“After reading a lot of reviews I thought it can't be...”

written by nick57 on 09/10/2006

After reading a lot of reviews I thought it can't be that bad, but it is!!

After all, we decided to cancel the whole thing, ask for a refund and we sent the modem back to UK Online broadband. That was on 26/7/6 and we are still waiting for the refund of £104.99. We hope that we can have some help from OTELO, as I think this is really absurd.