The Anchor Inn, Oakerthorpe Reviews

• Quality of service

• Quality of food

The Anchor Inn, Oakerthorpe - Ask a question now

“Didn't even get beyond the carpark ”

written by on 07/10/2017

Being local and passing on a few occasions, we decided to finally visit this pub on a Saturday afternoon. My friend (visiting from the coast) and I parked up in the carpark of The Anchor Inn with the intention of having a walk around the nearby woodland for twenty minutes, after which time we had arranged to meet our respective partners, for a drink and possibly some lunch in the Inn; as they were travelling down on their motorbikes following a ride out. Unfortunately this was a short lived plan, as a very rude woman rushed out into the carpark and shouted across to us 'THIS IS A PRIVATE CARPARK, YOU NEED TO MOVE YOUR VEHICLE'. Due to her manner and tone, we didn't argue and went to the pub up the road instead and had a lovely meal with no drama... Totally unnecessary, I can only think there must be issues with parking, which I can't understand since the carpark is around half an acre in size and always empty!! Though if the woman's attitude was anything to go by, there's little wonder passing customers don't bother!! How embarrassing after I was telling my friend visiting how wonderful Derbyshire was and how friendly the locals are!!

“Does this pub want business?”

written by on 14/06/2015

We arrived in the car park at around 7:30 last night. There were only four cars in the car park, which is a shame as the pub is beautiful and has lots of potential. We thought they would welcome our small mini bus of 14 people. On arrival into the pub there were four people sitting down having a drink. We went to the bar and were told that bus parties had to phone in advance! I explained that there were only 14 of us but he said the rule still held. I asked if he was joking (he had no one else to serve!) but he said it was policy but on this occasion he would serve us. His arrogant attitude had, by this stage, put us off and we decided to turn tail and flee without a drink. Instead we visited The Blue Bell, Wingfield Welfare, Yew Tree and White Hart. All of these were welcoming and pleased to have our custom. What a shame. This pub could be brilliant!

“Disgusting service, drunken staff, poorly cooked food”

written by Hearty_eater on 08/02/2015

Having gone here for the 'fresh food', my wife and i were told there would be a short wait as the food is fresh, we were happy with this and assumed it would be of high quality, after a 45 minute wait, my wife asked how long our food would be, the chef came out (who had been drinking the whole time we were there) and belittled us in front of the entire restaurant, we were made to feel stupid whilst eating our meal by this extremely arrogant and drunken excuse for a cook, for daring to ask where our food was ( it took over an hour to finally receive our meal) I had scampi which was still cold in the middle and made me violently sick when i got home, my wife had the sunday roast, the chicken breast was burnt outside and wet and soft inside, the stuffing was basically green porridge, the yorkshire pudding was as hard as a cricket ball and the vegetables had clearly been pre cooked and left on a hot plate as they were like mush, This meal wasnt cheap and wasnt fit for my dog, im absolutley disgusted with the place and would advise anyone against a visit, Please dont make the mistake that we did.

“Expensive , poor quality and not a home cooked roast...”

written by on 06/07/2014

Ordered 2 roast beef dinners for £9.99 each. The advert on menu said home cooked Sunday roast dinner. The owner appeared friendly whilst placing the order. Two mins later the food arrived and it was awful. The roast beef was in fact pan fried steak it was thick and tough and was clearly not a roast beef joint like advertised! The veg consisted of purred carrot like baby food and onions and peppers! There was not traditional veg like one would expect on a Sunday lunch! The mash potato was two scoops of what I would call mash get smash ( packet mix). When I complained the owner took it really personal and insisted her food was top quality, I was very respectful but said I was not happy. The owner walked off and did not resolve my complaint. I complained to the barman who attitude had now changed towards me and he agreed he would refund one meal only. There was no apology or attemp to please me as a paying customer! And to add insult to injury the owner had a smelly dog at her side in the restaurant while I was complaining that was sniffing around the table. We all get poor meals at some time in our life's but what upset me more was the owners inability to recognise I had a fair point. Would never go again due to the above reasons

“Very very cool place”

written by JamesRal on 07/12/2012

For lunch or dinner we've always gone here as it is such a nice place. Anyone thinking of going for lunch int he area I would 100% recommend!

“good food; good beer; good value and friendly.”

written by on 29/01/2012

Went to Sunday lunch with wife and kids; beer from Cropton brewery was great; good selection of soft drinkgs for wife kids; had carvery-- really good well cooked good quality food, the portions were generous the whole thing was really good and they were friendly; that was the best bit; down side cant think of one apart from the fact there were no peas with the Carvery. I would recommend it to all and sundry.

“Stumbled upon this place whilst looking for a local...”

written by on 19/04/2011

Stumbled upon this place whilst looking for a local venue to have friends and family get together for the christening of our daughter. We have been regulars ever since! The food is delicious and was the first draw! Much more than this though, you enter an atmosphere of genuine warmth and regard. The hosts take pride in their work and enjoy meeting people - a rarity in thus industry these days! Our growing daughter is always made to feel welcome and loves the carvery on a Sunday. I was sad to read such negative reviews. Please do pop in and make up your own mind. I'm sure you wont regret it.

“We visited for Sunday lunch and were directed to the...”

written by CoreDefence on 03/04/2011

We visited for Sunday lunch and were directed to the carvery area. Greeted by the person we took to be 'mine host' we were invited to take our time before visiting the carvery, a menu was not offered for starters or other main course options, we had to ask. Our order was taken eventually and we were again recommended to take our time and relax. 45 minutes later we felt we were not the only ones who were taking their time relaxing, having still not being served with starters. The soup was home made and OK but at £5 a kick was served with dry granary bread but without butter or imagination. Other starters were similarly unambitious yet pricey.
The carvery meats were good but all other elements were tasteless and undercooked, you could almost pour the 'home made' sage & onion stuffing, the Yorkshire puddings were flat and the 'roast' potatoes were deep fried.
Overall the lasting impression was of a friendly family business (the 'waiters' were no older than 14) with delusions of catering competence and a monstrously inflated spend per head. An amateur operation at very professional prices.

“We regularly eat at the Anchor; the atmosphere is...”

written by on 12/12/2010

We regularly eat at the Anchor; the atmosphere is lovely and relaxed, bar ans restaurant area always impeccably clean. Staff are very friendly but not intrusive. The food is lovely, you get what you pay for, all homemade, delcicious and never disappointing. Sunday Carvery is £8.95 (October 2010) and the quality of the food and service make it a good deal. Extensive menu of desserts both hot/cold are homemade, very well presented and again delicious. We eat here regularly and have never had a bad experience, well worth a visit

“We phoned rather late on saturday evening but were...”

written by on 26/09/2010

We phoned rather late on saturday evening but were told they had a table..no wonder. The barman was very pleasant and we ordered from a very appetising though rather pricey menu. I chose salmon and cream cheese parcels. There were 4 very small ( half a cork size) rolls of salmon with some thick cream cheese.I ordered cod steak with minted peas and chips. The fish was packed with bones and skin and a greasy batter(the tartare sauce and peas were ok)but no vinegar or lemon were in sight. I asked the chef who was wandering about and he said vinegar was no on tables because he did not like it hmmm. The waitress only appeared when bringing food to us and one other table and I could hear them moaning. I did say we would not be back but the barman just said ok no problem. I wish we had gone to our local chippy instead of £11.50 for one we could have had 2 for £7.00 and been well satisfied.

“I find it hard to reconcile the views already...”

written by Krayol on 14/03/2010

I find it hard to reconcile the views already expressed with my experience. Perhaps it has changed?

The menu is extensive (larger by far than the one on the website), fairly modern and varied. It is not cheap, but is very good. On the last visit my wife had venison: "The best I've ever tasted" and I had chicken on skewers (not called that, but essentially, a *very* sophisticated chicken marinated kebab!). Both were perfectly presented and cooked to our wishes.

Service is always superb - attentive and unobtrusive. Even the chef came to check that everything was perfect. I could not ask for a better experience. The landlord and landlady are always happy to chat and to tell you about the pub history and especially the beer!

The beer has several from Cropton, all presented in perfect condition.

What could I criticise? I'm trying hard here but I'd perhaps say that it can be a bit lacking in atmosphere early evening when it is very quiet. (Personally, I don't mind that) It changed on my last visit when a coach party from another pub in the area arrived, stayed for an hour extolling the beer quality though!

A fantastic pub if you like great beer and great food. Who doesn't!?

“We stumbled across The Anchor Inn whilst trying to...”

written by Farreste on 21/02/2010

We stumbled across The Anchor Inn whilst trying to locate another nearby pub for a Sunday carvery. This place seemed very quiet, probably on account of the heavy snowfall the night before. We were greeted by pleasant courteous staff, and were not disappointed by the quality of the food. We were offered a choice of 3 roast meats as well as a number of vegetable dishes with a slightly modern twist. At the time of writing( Feb 2010), the cost of the carvery was £8.95, which was very good value for such excellent food.

I will definately be returning, and will recommend The Anchor Inn to our friends and family.

“The service at The Anchor Inn in Oakerthorpe was...”

written by gaelowen on 29/11/2007

The service at The Anchor Inn in Oakerthorpe was great, and the food was excellent! At that time, smoking was allowed in every pub we visited in England. Perhaps because it was noon and not later in the day, we didn't notice the smoke smell. We are all non-smokers.

“We booked a table for 4 at the Anchor Inn, on the...”

written by paceym on 03/07/2005

We booked a table for 4 at the Anchor Inn, on the basis of an imaginative menu shown on the website. This menu did not exist in the restuarant itself, which was simply expensive pub grub. Whilst the meat was passable, it was accompanied by a lump of toasted bread (allegedly bruschetta), overcooked wild mushrooms, uncooked chunky chips, and was so dry, it was difficult to eat. Spicy chicken supreme was neither spicy, or supreme. Deserts were evidently from frozen, with a treacle sponge of bathroom sponge texture. And the Coffee was instant! On complaining, managerial staff were incredibly rude and no discount was offered. 'No-one has ever complained before' was the response, and I felt like I was being told that I knew nothing about food. Being a trained chef and food and wine critic, this was most annoying! What happened to the customer always being listened too? An awful restaurant on the tourist track into Derbyshire! Open this restaurant in my home county, and it would be closed within weeks!

Missusw's Response to 200247_paceym's Review

Written on: 08/05/2007

Well done so far as actually sitting down to eat! My husband and I have walked in to The Anchor on a couple of occasions, caught a whiff of the pungent, stale cigarette smoke, and gone up the road to The Peacock instead!

Chris Vardy's Response to 200247_paceym's Review

Written on: 18/08/2010

I found this review not helpful because...
<br/>It is well out of date and while I have to agree this was not the place to eat it is now one of the best resteraunts in our area.

Welsh Foodie's Response to 200247_paceym's Review

Written on: 08/08/2007

I found this review helpful because... I have driven past The Anchor Inn in Oakerthorpe a few times and been tempted to stop. Now I shall just keep on going.

Misterw's Response to 200247_paceym's Review

Written on: 13/05/2007

I agree with paceym's comments.
<br/>To add, this is probably why the car park is more often than not, empty! And the Peacock (200 yards down the road) is usually packed!

Read 4 Comments