The Trainline www.thetrainline.com Reviews

The Trainline www.thetrainline.com - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for The Trainline www.thetrainline.com

The Trainline www.thetrainline.com

“"Open return" button resets on changes, resulting in...”

Written on: 09/08/2020 by Daverm (1 review written)

Before even getting into the problems you cause for me, your service is over priced, has unsafe stations & a returns/open returns system designed to screw over people with short attention spans. If you select open return then change another setting, the open return gets unselected. Multiple times this has resulted in train staff trying to make me pay for another ticket, in which case I have, & will continue to push passed the rail staff in order to leave the station. Try to stop me on my way… Read Full Review

“Trainline.com DON'T use”

Written on: 05/01/2020 by LizaJane7777777 (1 review written)

I bought 3 tickets on line. I thought I had purchased 1st class tickets but it had defaulted to standard without me realising. The review page does not state which class your tickets are in and when I contacted Trainline just a few minutes later upon realising the mistake they were unhelpful and refused to assist me even though I offered to pay the difference. Very poor service. A difficult website to navigate. Rude and totally unhelpful staff. I would not recommend using this company. Go… Read Full Review

“Dont use it!!!”

Written on: 29/12/2019 by AbigailMaloney1975 (1 review written)

Completely useless. We checked in the web the availability of the trains that we needed to take, three times due to they were these Christmas days. Everything was ok, so we bought go and return. And when we wanted to return home, all the trains were cancelled and they didnt work during the whole day of our return. We needed to buy desesperately tickets for the last bus of the day. No help in the customer helpline because they werent working that day neither. At the next day we called them… Read Full Review

“Buggy and difficult to use.”

Written on: 16/08/2019 by ccoles3 (3 reviews written)

Problems that could catch you out with the Trainline.com booking system: 1) Journey many not add it's self to you account correctly (red error messages instead) making the app and Trainline.com software useless. This issue is random and can catch you out at the most difficult time. 2) No way to download your travel itinery (stops and times etc.) - the system forces you to use the app. 3) If you try to print the itinery from your email, it will not print the journey information. The email has… Read Full Review

“These jokers use every tactic to strip you of cash,...”

Written on: 27/07/2019 by JonFisher9 (1 review written)

These jokers use every tactic to strip you of cash, including mis-leading ticket class info, huge 'admin' fees, with support either via a chatbot robot that's useless or an Indian call centre. I booked First Class to Sheffield return £199. I changed the outbound date: they refunded £105 towards the new ticket but kept the rest. AND they took £60 'admin fee' off the £105. AND the changed ticket turned out to be in Standard class both directions yet cost the same (£199). Worse still they… Read Full Review

“ticket insurance”

Written on: 18/02/2019 by Halseymb148 (1 review written)

don't buy their ticket insurance - it is dishonest and they don't pay up… Read Full Review

“be warned and don't use”

Written on: 26/10/2018 by Daisywill (1 review written)

I was due to attend a wedding in Canterbury on the 12th October. I live on the Welsh borders and a storm started up on the previous weekend causing flooding, high winds etc. etc. and I made the decision not to travel to Canterbury on the 11th October as many trains had been cancelled, and I needed to be able to get back home on the 13th. For all of these reasons, exceptionally bad weather aka Storm Callum (I think) I decided not to go to the wedding. Unfortunately I had already retrieved my… Read Full Review

“I have been had! They sent me a letter to encourage me...”

Written on: 11/09/2018 by 369McKenzie (1 review written)

I have been had! They sent me a letter to encourage me to change my travel plans because of work on the line when I was travelling. I followed instructions - made an online request for a refund - sent back my tickets as told to do and they have only refunded one ticket - not the return journey. I have made so many calls to try and get my money back - they just keep saying it will go in soon. Almost 2 months and numerous calls later I realise it is not coming. DO NOT use this company - I want… Read Full Review

“Trainline Failures Charged twice Indian phone centre...”

Written on: 20/07/2018 by Kayden113 (1 review written)

There was a time that we could trust using Trainline.com in which I had used several times before without difficulty, Not anymore it appears? I went on my account to make a Booking for Two tickets from Manchester Airport to Leeds for the 6th September 2018 and witnessed the amount at the payment portal stating correctly £23 pounds and pushed the payment button only to be told the 'payment failed, try another payment'. I closed the account and checked my on-line bank account to check if funds… Read Full Review

“Horrible when it comes to refund”

Written on: 31/12/2017 by Brooklyn314 (1 review written)

“Absolutely Shocking Customer Service - never again”

Written on: 24/11/2017 by Desiree1980 (1 review written)

I purchased tickets online through Trainline to travel the next day., I went to my local station to print off the tickets. However, after putting my debit card in, I found out that the machine did not have any tickets in it. I drove half an hour to the next nearest station only to find that when I tried to print the tickets off, the machine said that they had already been printed. I phoned the helpline and was on hold for 45 minutes at 13p a minute. I eventually got through to an operator… Read Full Review

“Tranline won't refund for their errors”

Written on: 23/11/2017 by bojanainhell (1 review written)

The tramline debited my account for e tickets. They didn't arrive. I asked them why, they said it was their error. They won't refund the money they've taken from my account for these tickets I didn't receive in spite of admitting it's their fault. They want me to scan replacement tickets I bought if I want a refund. I no longer have them as I used them for the journey! In any case I cannot see why they need these to repay me for a service they admit they did not provide and admit they've… Read Full Review

Taniyahraniyah's Response to bojanainhell's Review

Written on: 29/12/2017

Very bad when it comes to refund. They need train tickets to be sent to them, why? These should be in their system. I was stranded in Manchester after a train has been cancelled from Manchester to Blackpool. Awful. I had to pay for my return journey from my pocket again. I was asked to call here and there. Later I was suggested to contact northern rail. All the same. They respond after months. They take seconds to take money out of our pockets but makes the customers go through a lengthy system so that they don’t have to pay back.

Read 1 Comment

“Farcical Refund System”

Written on: 01/08/2017 by Bonzo72 (1 review written)

After booking a ticket through trainline I discovered that I would have to go through them to obtain a refund for a ticket after my train was cancelled. Following a 25 minute phone call to the premium line with five minutes of that actually dealing with a member of customer service rather than being on hold, I was told I could have a refund for my £16.80 ticket. Only problem was this couldn't just be refunded onto the card I used to pay over the internet. I had to send the cancelled tickets by… Read Full Review

Thetrainline.com's Response to Bonzo72's Review

Written on: 02/08/2017

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to leave some feedback for us and I’m sorry to hear your service was cancelled.

As an online ticket retailer selling on behalf of the Train Operating Companies (TOCs), we have no control over the running of services. As a result, Trainline provide the money for the ticket sales to the TOCs and have no word in the operating/cancellation of services.

If your service is disrupted or cancelled which means you are unable to travel, then a full refund can be claimed from point of purchase, in this case Trainline. In order to obtain a full refund, we do ask that a customer gets in contact from a number of contact avenues listed on our site including facebook, twitter, live chat, email and telephone. We offer a number of free contact avenues as we appreciate it may not be convenient to pick up the phone.

If you have tickets that have been posted/collected, Trainline are unable to complete the refund unless these are returned to our refunds address as we cannot claim the money back from the TOC unless these are returned. Whilst I appreciate this can cause a slight delay with the refund, this is standard across the rail industry and not a method only requested by Trainline.

As we are unable to complete a refund without the tickets, we would always recommend recorded delivery (valued at around £1-£2 for Royal Mail) so Trainline and a customer can track the tickets. Whilst this is not mandatory, if sent by normal mail we cannot track this and normal post is not insured by postal couriers.

I do hope you have sent your tickets to us and we can expect to have your refund issued as soon as possible :)

Thanks
Jodie

Bonzo72's reply to Thetrainline.com's Comment

Written on: 02/08/2017

Hi,

Thank you for the incredulous reply. All good information but this is contradictory to the advice on the Trainline website under 'How to amend your ticket or apply for a refund?'

The advice is to 'call us'! If this is incorrect, then I suggest updating your websites' advice to include the alternative ways of communicating regarding refunds.

You also seem to have missed the point of my review, which was that in order to obtain a refund it has cost me the majority of the money that I will receive!

Also I would suggest updating the advice which you and your customer service member of staff provided with regard to Royal Mail services, as the service you are suggesting costs over £6. Perhaps you can now understand why this whole sorry state of events is so galling.

Again I would suggest improving the refund service. Perhaps in this digital age, I could have provided the tickets to the TOC whilst at the station waiting for the cancelled train. This could have been verified digitally and you could have refunded the cost. I would then have received a refund without incurring any extortionate costs for obtaining my own money. Surely this is not beyond the wit of human beings!

Daisywill's Response to Bonzo72's Review

Written on: 26/10/2018

I have had the exact same problem. I will not be using them again either

Read 3 Comments

“Beware at all costs”

Written on: 24/07/2017 by cakeypig45 (5 reviews written)

Avoid Trainline as they employ staff who will tell you anything in order to secure a booking. In April I used Trainline to secure a group booking for a forthcoming trip in October. On initially speaking to the Trainline Customer Services Representative he assured me that I could secure the booking and that me and my colleagues would be guaranteed seats together on the train. Only once I had paid for the tickets did I discover that the seats had not been reserved at all but I had merely secured… Read Full Review

Thetrainline.com's Response to cakeypig45's Review

Written on: 25/07/2017

Hi there,

I'm disappointed to learn of your recent experience and we would really like the opportunity to look into this further and hopefully we will be able to secure seating for you and your party.

As this is a public forum we can't share any personal information such as booking details however could you please contact us via a more secure channel such as Facebook or Twitter @thetrainline.

While certain train operators don't offer seat reservations, for those who do, as a general rule reservations are released by the train operating companies 12 weeks in advance (currently up until mid October).

As you're not due to travel until October, I'm confident that we will be able to arrange seat reservations however before I can confirm for sure we will need to view your booking and identity the train operator.

Many thanks,

Vikki

Read 1 Comment

“BEWARE ”

Written on: 11/07/2017 by 2000fursek (2 reviews written)

We booked a journey through them which they failed to provide, even though we had booked our tickets months in advance. I also received an email the day before travelling to confirm the journey I had originally booked was still going ahead, however they failed to inform me there was engineering works as part of this journey, therefore I would have to get a bus to complete the journey I had booked or pay £92.80 extra to be able to travel through London. To be able to use the tickets we had… Read Full Review

“Booked a ticket for a train that didn't exist!”

Written on: 05/07/2017 by Timbo22 (1 review written)

Booked a train from Milton Keynes (7.01) to Worthing via Clapham, the route and subsequent ticket stated I needed to go via Kensington Olympia. Arrived at the station to catch the train only to find the train didn't exist and the route wasn't valid. Had to go via an alternative route for which my ticket wasn't valid. Spent nearly an hour communicating with Trainline who ultimately wouldn't take responsibility and told me to contact Southern. I'm waiting for a call back (not holding my… Read Full Review

“Don't use trainline”

Written on: 20/06/2017 by Cole439 (1 review written)

I bought a ticket , I never received the printing out code and they won't give me a refund. I had to buy another ticket at the station. Customer services is terrible I got no where… Read Full Review

“don't use this site, the service is poor”

Written on: 17/06/2017 by McCollum408 (1 review written)

The change policy is out of the middle ages. You get double billed, have to mail tickets back (secure mail), get charged £10 per ticket, and the site crashes every 5 min. It is cheeper and easier to go to the station and buy there… Read Full Review

“They are cheating”

Written on: 18/04/2017 by Rafaln (1 review written)

I bought train tickets for my familly paying £110. While price at National Rail is £64. That's crazy. Who allows such service i UK!… Read Full Review

“thetrainline.com - not online, not cheap, not honest”

Written on: 11/04/2017 by Townsend40 (1 review written)

thetrainline.com is neither online nor a service. Fine if you want to make a booking and need to change nothing, and there are lots of ticket machines at your station, and you arrive half an hour early to retrieve your tickets. Otherwise, best avoided. The software doesn't not deal with any changes. If you use the app for your ticket, you cannot get a refund. If you need to change the ticket, the software will get it wrong. The company will not admit any errors and charge you a tenner for the… Read Full Review