Panasonic DMR-EH50 Reviews

• Sound Quality

Panasonic DMR-EH50 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Panasonic DMR-EH50

“SD Card Slot”

Written on: 22/09/2011 by brif1 (1 review written)

After owning this machine for about 6 years now it has been a great player/recorder. The only thing I am upset about is why it will not read any Sd card I put in it. All pics are jpeg and I tried Kodak, Sony, I even went out and purchased a Panasonic 1GB SD card and it would not even read it… Read Full Review

“HAVE HAD THIS UNIT FOR OVER 2 YEARS NOW, IT HAS HAD A...”

Written on: 23/10/2009

HAVE HAD THIS UNIT FOR OVER 2 YEARS NOW, IT HAS HAD A HARD AND BUSY LIFE WRITING DVD'S FROM RECORDED PROGRAMMES AND CONVERTING MOST OF MY VHS COLLECTION TO DVD, THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE IS THE DISPLAY HAS DIMMED CONSIDERABLY, I HAVE DECIDED TO HAVE IT REPAIRED AS I AM TOTALLY DELIGHTED WITH IT'S PERFORMANCE… Read Full Review

“My Panasonic DMR-EH50 was £450 5 years old and almost...”

Written on: 30/01/2009 by leewasp (3 reviews written)

My Panasonic DMR-EH50 was £450 5 years old and almost faultless. So easy to use. Excellent picture and sound quality from HDD & DVD from digital and analogue sources. Easy dubbing, easy to plug my camcorder in. Has confused itself and frozen twice and missed a programme once What a machine -it replaced an unreliable 2002 Philips DVD recorder and has proven usual excellent Panasonic quality. It gets used most days and still has recordings on it from years ago. I will probably buy a Humax… Read Full Review

“I will not by Panasonic again. Of course there are...”

Written on: 29/11/2008 by johnfused (2 reviews written)

I will not by Panasonic again. Of course there are other unreliable products/manufacturers but if £250 is not enough for the manufacturers to make a reliable product, then make a proper product and charge more. One reason people are prepared to buy a dearer product is that they assume it is going to be reliable… Read Full Review

“Why on earth would any sane person spend a lot of...”

Written on: 27/03/2008 by hateacer (1 review written)

Why on earth would any sane person spend a lot of money on a product that only lasts 18 months, and which the manufacturer and retailer will not support?

The Panasonic DMR-EH50 was good while it lasted, but it wasn't long enough (sounds like my relationships - er...).

I have since spoken to several people whose Panasonic DVD recorders have failed within a short period. Sony or Pioneer seem much more reliable… Read Full Review

“Ease of use. Flexible recording feature. Very good...”

Written on: 17/01/2008 by Gamma (1 review written)

Ease of use. Flexible recording feature. Very good picture. Dubs and finalises much quicker than the DMR-E85h which I replaced with this. Also, has useful SD slot. A reasonable buy and reliable considering the hammering it gets!… Read Full Review

“Unreliable after about two years of moderate use. I...”

Written on: 20/11/2007 by iagoman (1 review written)

Unreliable after about two years of moderate use. I only record shows and don't use many of the other features. Recently the unit has been very very slow in responding to commands.Sometimes a command will take 40 seconds to respond! I believe that the HDD is failing.I also find that I must have the unit and the TV tuned to the channel I want to record. If I set the timer to record channel 40 I must also set the TV to 40.If another scheduled recording on another channel is scheduled the unit… Read Full Review

“Other than my repair bill which Panasonic say that...”

Written on: 12/03/2007 by breadhead (2 reviews written)

Other than my repair bill which Panasonic say that they might help with, the system has been running great for just over a year and I will be getting it repaired as it has been a good machine with many features that my other DVD recorder is lacking in… Read Full Review

“An excellent machine.”

Written on: 17/12/2006 by mp63 (1 review written)

An excellent machine… Read Full Review

“You may be wondering why, having given this machine...”

Written on: 25/11/2006 by Wozzer (1 review written)

You may be wondering why, having given this machine nearly 10 for everything, my overall rating is a 5. Unfortunately the ratings do not include reliability and customer support.

I would not go back to anything other than a DVD recorder with hard-drive. The machine has been used day in, day out for nearly a year, and performed admirably for MOST of that time. After about 5 months of use, the "fast" high speed dub facility on the Panasonic DMR-EH50 "conked out", making some horrendous noises… Read Full Review

“Having read reviews of various models, I realised that...”

Written on: 12/11/2006 by andyscarcliffe (1 review written)

Having read reviews of various models, I realised that some other makes were seriously lacking. The Panasonic DMR-EH50 DCD Recorder had the best reviews, so I put up the money. I cannot fault it. I was using all the features within the first hour. Intuitive menus and excellent features. I do a lot of video editing, sometimes using clips from TV. This is a perfect tool… Read Full Review

“The Panasonic DMR-EH50 is a very capable DVD recorder...”

Written on: 10/06/2006 by amountjoy (1 review written)

The Panasonic DMR-EH50 is a very capable DVD recorder with easy to use features. I actually bought this recorder from Argos for £249.99, which was excellent value for money, and it was the cheapest I have seen for the model, which originally retailed at £400. I highly recommend this product.

This recorder really is a great piece of kit! Its 80Gb hard drive is good for 36 hours of high quality recording (in normal mode, although it states 34 hours in the guide! It will record up to 145 hours… Read Full Review

Mikejking's Response to amountjoy's Review

Written on: 12/08/2006

Yes but .....how do you get it to tune into Sky? I cannot get it to tune to any of the digital channels despite following the rather poor manual! Any ideas anyone? Cheers!

Read 1 Comment

“The Panasonic DMR-EH50 is a quality DVD recorder, but...”

Written on: 30/11/2005 by Wysefield (1 review written)

The Panasonic DMR-EH50 is a quality DVD recorder, but is let down badly by the fact that it only records 16:9 aspect on the hard disc or RAM DVD's. This is not mentioned in any sales literature, but warrants nearly a full page at the beginning of the user instructions supplied with the machine.

If you don't want to pass your recorded DVD's on to anyone else this won't be a problem… Read Full Review

Maccheek's Response to Wysefield's Review

Written on: 11/12/2005

As far as I can see there is no restriction to 16:9 recording in any format. The only restriction is to 4:3 with write once discs

Maccheek's Response to Wysefield's Review

Written on: 15/07/2006

I have a DMR-EH50 connected to a 4:3 aspect TV. Whatever format it is recording in (i always record initially to the HDD and copy to DVD later if I want to keep something), the playback is perfect on my TV and several others I have tried. It may I suppose be recording in 16:9 aspect, but if it is it doesn't matter. Perhaps if just chops the sides of the picture off.
<br/>
<br/>Bottom line, this machine works fine with a 4:3 aspect TV.

Ken May's Response to Wysefield's Review

Written on: 14/07/2006

Wysefield: Why don&#039;t you record to HD in 16:9 and then dub to a DVD-R or RW and tell us the result?

Wysefield's Response to Wysefield's Review

Written on: 14/07/2006

For anyone that is interested the final answer I got from Panasonic was: "In response, the DVD recorder is stated as recording to DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, DVD-R, and DVD+R as it can record on all of these disks. No mention is made in the brochure of the unit being able to record to 16:9 on all of these disks. We do manufacture DVD/HDD recorders that can record on DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, DVD-R, or DVD+R disks (DMREH50 and DMREH60D), however, these units will also only be able to record 16:9 format to DVD-RAM or HDD"

Colinwright's Response to Wysefield's Review

Written on: 13/07/2006

I hope the reviewer who states that the DMR-EH50 will only record in 16:9 is mistaken. I have a Panasonic DMR-E30, their earlier DVD-Ram recorder, and this can be set to record either in 4:3 or widescreen 16:9. It would be inexplicable for them to drop the capability to record in either format.

Wysefield's Response to Wysefield's Review

Written on: 30/03/2006

Thanks for your comments. I was told by Panasonic's Technical Department that the unit only records in 16.9 on RAM discs. I was so disgusted I haven't played around with recording from the hard drive, although they were quite categoric about only recording in 16.9 on RAM discs when I challenged them. I am happy to share the correspondence if you leave a contact.
<br>
<br>Mike

Ken May's Response to Wysefield's Review

Written on: 24/02/2006

Why would you want to record 16:9 format on RAM disc when you have a hard disc and can transfer to any DVD format afterwards?
I bought some RAM discs and have never used them.

Read 7 Comments

“After spending weeks and weeks reviewing DVD recorders...”

Written on: 20/08/2005 by laphill (1 review written)

After spending weeks and weeks reviewing DVD recorders I finally decided to go with the Panasonic DMREH50 and I am so glad I did. I have definitely made the right choice. This machine is so easy to use. I particularly love the partial erase which allows you to remove unwanted bits of recordings, such as adverts. I also love the flexible recording mode. If I want to record, for example, a 2hour 10minute programme onto a 2hour disc, I can use flexible recording mode to fit the disc in the best… Read Full Review

“Panasonic DMREH50: I have been looking at DVD...”

Written on: 31/05/2005 by vocrobot (20 reviews written)

Panasonic DMREH50: I have been looking at DVD recorders for the last two years and have put off buying on so many occasions. Panasonic definitely won me over with the specifications from this machine, plus I also have two other electrical items from them that sound fantastic.

I love this recorder. You can record on virtually all blank media (with the exception of DVD+RW) which is a real breakthrough because up until now you could only record onto DVD-R or DVD-RAM on virtually all Panasonic… Read Full Review