Jaguar XJR LS Reviews

Jaguar XJR LS - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Jaguar XJR LS

Jaguar XJR LS
Jaguar XJR LS

“i have a 3.2 sport its a joy to drive every time i get...”

Written on: 14/05/2010

i have a 3.2 sport its a joy to drive every time i get in the car its an event.i have owned a jag before series 3 4.2 which i had for 6 years happy motoring then i lost my way and was out in the wilderness for a few years before i saw the light and went back to jaguar .ill only buy jags from now on but intend to keep this beast for many many years to come.to all the jag nutters like me enjoy your jag what ever you own… Read Full Review

“My 4.0 straight six Jaguar XJR is a joy to drive. It...”

Written on: 23/11/2008 by Geoff Mac (1 review written)

My 4.0 straight six Jaguar XJR is a joy to drive. It took me four years of hunting it down and that was four years ago. It was worth the wait to find a manual five speed XJR. Its a rocket or a regal carriage, which ever you like. Far better than the auto I had before. Get in turn the key an it goes, 100% reliability and fantastic build quality, the interior is definitely British, a calming comfortable safe place to be. I don't mind the X300's origins and wish that Jaguar had stayed with the six… Read Full Review

“I searched several websites for reviews prior to...”

Written on: 30/05/2006 by dpanzerman (1 review written)

I searched several websites for reviews prior to buying this car. I have shied away from Jags after a horrible experience with a 1986. (Beautiful car...but the Mechanic saw her more than I did.)

I found VERY LITTLE negatives about this series of vehicles. No extreme maintenance worries (do be a smart person and have a Diagnostic run PRIOR to buying any car). If she does break it is going to be a bit pricey...but um what isn't? I pay 90/hr for a competent Vette mechanic...so the rate is about… Read Full Review

Sirterence's Response to dpanzerman's Review

Written on: 16/06/2008

I just have to thank dpanzerman for his articulately, well written review on the Jaguar XJR. I am a new XJR owner and I find myself continually smiling to the point where I am sure some may say I am demented. These are serious cars and not for the faint of heart. The writer aforementioned assisted me to decide upon the XJR despite the hideous costs of insurance. I am relocating to AZ so I'll keep an eye out for his 1999 Cat. I also appreciate his tips on avoiding those overpriced services that dealers seem to make bundles on. More power to the reviewer (not that it would be needed!).

Read 1 Comment

“This is my third Jaguar XJR LS in the X300 range. I've...”

Written on: 29/04/2004 by Consumer (13 reviews written)

This is my third Jaguar XJR LS in the X300 range. I've had a 4.0 XJ6, a 4.0 XJ8 and this. The XJ6 was a worse car to drive than the BMW 5 series it replaced. The 4.0 XJ8 was much better, faster and of a significantly higher quality. It was a great car and I loved it. The XJR is an order of magnitude better again.

I have a very stressful profession. The joy of this car is that I can drive 150 miles, get out of the car feeling fresh, without a headache, and unstressed; do the job; and go home. It… Read Full Review

“1999 Jaguar XJR LS (I wanted a 2001 but this is the...”

Written on: 23/04/2004 by DJH (1 review written)

1999 Jaguar XJR LS (I wanted a 2001 but this is the only used one I could find in my area as they are a hard car to come by) - I read many reviews like the one I am typing to help me decide on this car. I read, for the most part, nothing but good things. I am a tough critic when it comes to cars. I have owned many types ranging from BMW to Infinti and I can honestly say that this car exceeds them all. The positives far outway the misc. negatives.

If you want to feel good on a Saturday… Read Full Review

“This is my first Jaguar . I have had BMW's, Audi's and...”

Written on: 06/02/2004 by britmaddog (1 review written)

This is my first Jaguar . I have had BMW's, Audi's and a few American vehicles, but this cat is without a doubt the most beautiful vehicle that I have ever driven.
The XJR is a very classy looking car, it purrs like a pussy cat and when given a little prod it races like a Jaguar.
I am sure that this is my first of many.
I purchased this car 2 months ago, it is a 1998 with 90000 miles. The engine is still tight, no signs of ware, the vehicle turns heads no matter where I go. If you are in the… Read Full Review

“XJR 4.0 V8 Supercharger, this is my second Jag 1st was...”

Written on: 06/06/2003 by PIP. (1 review written)

XJR 4.0 V8 Supercharger, this is my second Jag 1st was a 3.2 sport which I also worshiped, then along came the V8,this vehicle certainly is not for the faint hearted, the power is unbelievable along with tremedous road handling and luxourious comfort this car is second to none.
Some people complain about high running cost etc,but who cares when you own proberbly one of the best prestige performance vehicles on the road today !… Read Full Review

Richs Xjr.'s Response to PIP.'s Review

Written on: 09/06/2003

I agree with this review. I am in my 4th week of owning a '99 XJR and what a kick! It is still under warranty the local Jag dealer has been just super. (No problems, I'm just super pickey on looks and things not perfect) I bought it from a wholeseller so the dealer's response is even more impressive. My insurance went up only $20/mo from replacing a '92 Seville. My insurance man was surprised at the low cost too. Back to the car- I can't find fault at all. I would just like the road to open up more frequently so I can experience that awesome excelleration!

Jagsonau's Response to PIP.'s Review

Written on: 11/09/2003

Have just bought a 1998 XJR. I agree with the other comments - fantastic vehicle! At first I found the ride a little hard, but after putting the tyre pressures down to 28/26 it has improved it immensely. I still think our 1986 XJS has a more comfortable ride, but doesn't corner quite as well. So, I guess you can't have both. So all you XJR owners - keep enjoying your car, like we do (we prefer the lower look of ours to the new alloy XJR).

Read 2 Comments

“The best handling most gorgeous cat of them all. The...”

Written on: 14/02/2003 by Bobby H. (1 review written)

The best handling most gorgeous cat of them all. The R1 Package with CATS suspension does and says it all.
There isn't anything on the road, Lexus, Audi or Benz that touches this machine… Read Full Review

Cat Man 1's Response to Bobby H.'s Review

Written on: 06/02/2004

As an XJR Owner I couldn't agrrreee more. This is the best handling and fastest luxury sports car of all. Who cares about a slightly smaller boot when you have 100% of everything alse! Awsome!!!!!!!

Read 1 Comment

“I have a 98 xjr and have been very pleased with it....”

Written on: 09/01/2003 by dervish. (1 review written)

I have a 98 xjr and have been very pleased with it. Performance realistically matches anything on the road in absolute comfort. Rear space is limited as is boot space for such a big car. Dealer rates are very expensive and level of service depends very much on the individual you get. My engine seized (it was a Nikasil block) and one dealer said it was my fault, the other replaced the engine for nothing. I would agree costs are comparatively low but it is still expensive. As a second hand car I… Read Full Review

“What a thrill, this Jaguar XJR LS is my 3rd Jag and...”

Written on: 21/06/2002 by Stephen Gross. (1 review written)

What a thrill, this Jaguar XJR LS is my 3rd Jag and 1st XJR...mamma mia. I love seeing the guys faces who drive Corvette's, Mustangs and Camaro's who can't seem to shake me on or off the line.
I get looks everywhere I go. I will have this car until I die… Read Full Review

“The Jaguar XJR is absolutely, without a doubt, the...”

Written on: 29/03/2002 by Peter Kessler. (1 review written)

The Jaguar XJR is absolutely, without a doubt, the finest automobile with a back seat in the world for under $100,000. I have owned or driven all of the finest Mercedes, BMW's, Lexus, (I'll even include Corvettes), and this Jaguar blows them all away in every respect. It's the only car that I don't get tired of and want to make a change. I am purchasing a 2001 after owning a 1998 for about a year and a half, after owning 12 cars over the previous six years.

There is no bad point. This car… Read Full Review

Geoff Dunlap.'s Response to Peter Kessler.'s Review

Written on: 08/06/2002

I couldn't agree more. I have a xjr and it is one bad a*s
<br>ride. Not only is it jaw dropping gorgeous but it will flat out haul. It truly is a sweet ride.

121347_Johnny.'s Response to Peter Kessler.'s Review

Written on: 03/08/2003

Just wanted to know how Andy from Cincinnati got on with the XJR - did it live up to your expectations? I am considering buying an S type - but still have a hankering for the great lines of the XJR - however runing costs have put me off in the past - like mpg.

Johnny.'s Response to Peter Kessler.'s Review

Written on: 03/08/2003

85955_Andy.'s Response to Peter Kessler.'s Review

Written on: 03/04/2003

I've been searching for negatives on this car, as I have just purchased a red '99 XJR. I can't say how pleased I am that the ONLY negative I hear is the smallish boot (and the lack of express up windows)! Cheers to my comrades across the pond...can't wait to settle in and start testing my red beauty. It'll be in my hands within a week!

Read 4 Comments

“This supercharged Jaguar is like a jet! The car is...”

Written on: 19/10/2001 by John Smith. (1 review written)

This supercharged Jaguar is like a jet! The car is very expensive to buy, run, insure and maintain. I haven't had any major faults so far. The build quality is good but not quite up to the quality of German cars. When driving the car it is absolutely obedient and graceful, though the steering is bit numb. It handles like a small sports car. The car has massive torque. My XJR is extraordinarily fast considering how much it weights, and the 5 speed auto box is excellent. Inside the car is lovely… Read Full Review

6456_Peter.'s Response to 5079_John Smith.'s Review

Written on: 29/11/2001

I would have to disagree with the remark about the running costs of the Jaguar XJR. Comparatively speaking, they are one of the cheapest cars of it's type to run. To buy a similar car from BMW or Mercedes with the equivalent level of performance and equipment would cost you between 5 and 10 thousand more. To service and insure any car with comparable performance will cost you more than this Jaguar, compared to a straight six BMW 5 series the car is very expensive to run, but compared to the competition it is relatively inexpensive. Don't forget that this car will outperform 80's supercars and you would need to spend £100k on a ferrari 360 to go any faster today. The fact that it will do this all day long and then waft you home in near silence is testament to how brilliant this car is, I think a score of 8 out of 10 sells the Jaguar XJR short.

Gi Joe.'s Response to 5079_John Smith.'s Review

Written on: 29/06/2003

Grace Space and Pace,

Jron.'s Response to 5079_John Smith.'s Review

Written on: 04/10/2002

Who cares about running costs!!!...This is a performance sedan..And that's exactly what it does..IT PERFORMS!!!

37507_John.'s Response to 5079_John Smith.'s Review

Written on: 12/09/2002

The initial review is taken almost verbatim from "Parkers used car guide" - the wording is almost identical. I don't think the writer actually owns an XJR at all.
<br>
<br>I do own an XJR V8 (1999) and when I bought it, it would have cost more to get an M5 or an E55 AMG and I didn't like either of them as much as the Jag. If you compare the XJR to a 6 cylinder BMW then it's expensive, but compare it to say a 740 (which I also looked at) and the fuel consumption is not much worse and the performance is in totally different territory.
<br>
<br>Disadvantages of the jag - feels big when parking in confined spaces and make sure you get one with the rear parking sensors because these are invaluable (you can't see the boot when going backwards). Other options worth having are the power fold rear mirrors which auto-dim as well as the centre mirror and the rear sun blind.
<br>Steering and 'feel' is actually very good for such a big car and the handling is pretty good as well - not the floaty barge you would expect. Sure it doesn't handle like a sports car but it's not really supposed to. It certainly has a very quiet and smooth ride and still handles a lot better than lots of other more boring cars.
<br>Overall, it's the best car i've ever owned and if you do get one you won't regret it.

25856_Louis.'s Response to 5079_John Smith.'s Review

Written on: 31/05/2002

I disagree with two points of this review. First, the steering on the XJR is not numb. I own a 1998 Mustang GT and frequently switch between driving my XJR and the Mustang. The road feel is so similar that I feel completely at home in both. Both cars have first rate tires, too; the Mustang has Goodyear F1s and the XJR has the Pirelli P-Zeros. The second point that I disagree on is value. The XJR gives you more for your money than any other luxury car for under $115,000 dollars. I compared my Jaguar to more costly BMWs and Mercedes at an auto show last year and none of the German cars could match the beauty of the Jaguar's interior or exterior, and the XJR was superior to nearly all of them in performance.

Read 5 Comments