Fortis Car Insurance Reviews

Fortis Car Insurance - Ask a question now

“Wonderful service from Ageas ”

Written on: 07/03/2013 by Pjaneedgar (1 review written)

I had an accident that was my fault and which left my car undrivable. Ageas arranged to have the car transported to a garage of their choice for an estimate of repairs. I explained that I was having a major operation in a week and asked if things could be hurried through. Everyone I dealt with was pleasant, helpful and efficient. The car was written off unfortunately, but the offer made to me was more than fair and was paid immediately. In fact the accident happened on Monday and the… Read Full Review

“stolen car fiasco”

Written on: 27/04/2012

there was a knock on the door and the police told me my car had been stolen!I was unaware as the car was in he car park opposite my house.Ageas won't pay out as they don't believe it was stolen as per my statement!!!!I didn't know it was gone until the police told me.As a company,they are incompetent and totally unprofessional but very capable liars… Read Full Review

“badly let down”

Written on: 05/11/2011

I insured with Fortis but when I sent in my claim I was informed Fortis is now Ageas.I had not been notified of this.I was travelling along a main road and pulled out to pass a row of stationary cars to turn right at traffic lights. there was a stationary car in a side road to my left. As I passed this the car accelerated and smashed into the side of my car causing substantial damage.I reported this to Ageas and was told it was the other drivers fault.I received a letter registering my… Read Full Review

“AGEAS new name for FORTIS disgraceful service AGAIN”

Written on: 01/10/2011

In July 2011 l had what l call a 'no blame' motor vehicle accident, the other party drove into my stationary car !!! PHOTOGRAPHS etc taken at the time. We are now into OCTOBER, AGEAS have made no direct contact with myself, l have had to do all the running etc. Having made NO EFFORT and NO INVESTIGATION, AGEAS now want me to accept a 50 / 50 blame. Guess what ?? The other party is also insured with AGEAS !!!!!!!! They have failed to answer or acknowledge my complaint, they REFUSE TO SHOW… Read Full Review

“INTERESTING!!!!Took my insurance out with, who i...”

Written on: 11/02/2011

INTERESTING!!!!Took my insurance out with, who i thought was kwik fit..
I was reversing from a parked bay,very slowly as my view was restricted with cars either side of me and also cars parked on double yellow lines behind me, on a one way street. When a car appeared from nowhere!!! I was litrally reversing maybe 3mph??!! If thats possible (i was going that slow).
I gave the driver my details and left things to go ahead. I was asked about the accident and sent a claim form asking me to write… Read Full Review

Written on: 27/07/2011

Firstly just because some other member of the public is dishonest enough to exagerate their claim and is probably with the no win no fee brigade you cannot blame your insurer! If you study the highway code if you are reversing into another vehicles path you should give way! If he appeared from nowhere you obviously did not look to see if it was clear.

Written on: 16/11/2011

Same thing has happened to me. I was staionary outside a bank when a car reversed into me....not only have Agaes paid out for injury to 4 passenger when no one else was in the car I also have had my premium go up £200 per annun presumably for the next 5 years. This is despite my continuing requesting over the last two years that Ageas approach the bank for CCTV. I understand that it would cost them more to dispute the claim than just pay out unfortunately this is at a cost to their customers.

Read 2 Comments

“Reported the accident to the broker (M&S) - their...”

Written on: 01/02/2011

Reported the accident to the broker (M&S) - their handling agents are injury lawyers so you can guess how the opening dialogue went. We exchanged all the details and was told to expect a call from Drive Assist (DA) - and did. The DA agent went carefully through the script and had car ready within the hour - very good - until I was asked for my credit card. DA are a car hire company and I suspect that they need your credit card so that if the accident goes knock-for-knock then they can take… Read Full Review

“Appalling customer service. Would never use again...”

Written on: 25/01/2011

Appalling customer service. Would never use again after the problems i had with my claim. Not even worth 1 star… Read Full Review

“insured with fortis for a couple of years never had a...”

Written on: 20/01/2011

insured with fortis for a couple of years never had a problem. Now when it comes to renew
they wont insure me because,of the area i live in .Very bad practice. would never tell any one to go with them.

“I just thought I'd back up Fortis (now known as Ageas) ”

Written on: 18/01/2011

I just thought I'd back up Fortis (now known as Ageas)

I have to car polices with them and when travelling I take their travel polices too.

To the person who posted they had a fault claim and expected a refund!! No insurance company would give you a refund if it's a fault claim. You must understand that you are not paying insurance based on a per day rate - you pay a premium to cover you against an event (claim) in the coming 12 months ie paying against an event. If an event occurs you are… Read Full Review

Rorina's Comment

Written on: 17/03/2011

I found this review not helpful because...No insurer gives refunds following a claim, otherwise if you claimed on day one, they would be sending you a cheque for the written off vehicle, with you only having paid for one day of cover. Had you replaced the car for another one, they then would have simply switched the vehicle over for you and you could have enjoyed cover for the remainder of the year. People make sweeping statements based on very limited knowledge.

Read 1 Comment

“I Had an accident (Yes ACCIDENT) my fault no one else...”

Written on: 24/11/2010

I Had an accident (Yes ACCIDENT) my fault no one else involved fully comp they settled but i had only had my insurance for 3months and now they will not pay me back my 9 months insurance how would they have got on if i had paid in installments and not paid up front (robbers)i would never go back to them again and would never recomend them… Read Full Review

Written on: 27/07/2011

You muppet! you take out insurance, make a claim, they settle it for you and you expect a refund! Try buying some food from Sainsburys eating it and then ask for your money back. They are not a charity

Read 1 Comment

“if any of the people at fortis had to do a proper job...”

Written on: 17/11/2010

if any of the people at fortis had to do a proper job they would not last one minute they are a bunch of misfits unfit can't see them lasting long… Read Full Review

“I went only went though fortis as advised by my...”

Written on: 27/10/2010 by fabbiddie (1 review written)

I went only went though fortis as advised by my broker. Had an accident in January 2010, submitted all paper work and included nunerous photos and witness details. Now almost at the end of October 2010, they are wanting me to take 50/50 liability because no-one has a full statement from the witness and the other driver's tiny statement does not match mine, they do not seem interested in fighting my case.if I had seen this website would have gone with someone else… Read Full Review

“Shame I have to give them even 1 star. MASSIVE exit...”

Written on: 04/10/2010

Shame I have to give them even 1 star. MASSIVE exit penalties when we sold our car and ended the policy early. Had the policy for only 5 out of the 12 months and got refunded 15% of the premium. Policy was through rac and underwritten by fortis. Avoid at all costs… Read Full Review

Philsmith's Comment

Written on: 21/03/2011

The Fortis (now Ageas) normal "Motor Guard" policy has a cancellation penalty of just £25 as shown on condition 8, pages 16/17 in the policy booklet.
<br/>
<br/>If RAC (who are owned by Norwich Union/Aviva!) got you a "cheap" deal from Fortis by negotiating a sub-standard form of policy, then your gripe should be against the RAC rather than Fortis.
<br/>
<br/>Alternatively, have Fortis allowed a substantial rebate which has been considerably reduced by a separate fee charged by the RAC? This is common practice by the comparison web site operators. The Financial Services Authority require that fees like this are shown in advance of the policy being started and that any fees are clearly shown as separate items at the time of the transaction.
<br/>
<br/>My advice to anyone in these circumstances is to check the policy cancellation wording (generally found under "Conditions") and also the agent's "Terms of Business" - which should show all standard fees - and the account statement at the time of the transaction.
<br/>
<br/>I know that everyone wants the "cheapest" but apart from dubious cover on some policies, penal fees could cost you dearly in the long run. Look before buy, and if you can't understand what's on offer, then speak to an experienced broker.
<br/>Kind regards.
<br/>Phil Smith.
<br/>W A Smith Insurance Brokers Ltd, Hartlepool.

Read 1 Comment

“Was involved in an accident at traffic lights on a...”

Written on: 09/09/2010

Was involved in an accident at traffic lights on a roundabout, where I had pulled away from stationary on a junction, after having looked right and was hit by a 4x4 coming from my right. After collision 4X4 took a while to stop travelling an estimated 150m. Damage to my front bumper and dent to left wing of 4x4.
Called who I thought was AA insurance to be told I was actually insured by Fortis, damage repaired, excess paid £250
I have just recieved what I would call the 3rd degree from the… Read Full Review

“I have a brand new Mercedes sports car, and my car has...”

Written on: 04/09/2010

I have a brand new Mercedes sports car, and my car has been damaged in an ARC car wash through no fault of mine. After filling out claim forms at the car wash, the owners Arduff LTD. decided that it was my fault and would not accept liability. Upon phoning Fortis they decided that it was difficult to say who was at fault, and are repairing my car to the tune of £2,000 on my insurance. Fortis would not fight my case and consequently I am having to pay excesses amounting… Read Full Review

“Car was hit and had witness and everything but Fortis...”

Written on: 19/08/2010

Car was hit and had witness and everything but Fortis wanted to pay out on my own policy as 3rd party refused to admit liability.
They closed the claim when I said keep chasing 3rd party, I questioned why it was closed they reopened and 3rd party has admitted liability.

After all that now they are saying that it is hard to value the car correctly as it was valued last year, and used car prices are higher then last year. Very unpleasant experience with them, very rude claim handlers who do not… Read Full Review

“I am currently claiming for an accident which I had on...”

Written on: 30/07/2010

I am currently claiming for an accident which I had on the 26th July 2010. The oter party has not accepted liability and Fortis are deciding to investigate to settle the liability factor. Unfortunately, upon reading the reviews on this website, it looks like am too going to be ripped off with the poor service and Fortis won't fight for me! They are taking soo long even though I sent the information/pics back to them in 1day and they received them. They havn't called me once, I call them on… Read Full Review

“On 15th April 2010 my car was stolen like many people...”

Written on: 07/07/2010 by claireally (4 reviews written)

On 15th April 2010 my car was stolen like many people i had to keep calling Fortis to find out the status of the claim. I have just had a newborn baby when my car was stolen so came at really difficult time. I read on Kwick it that Fortis would complete with 8-12wks i thought was brill. 10 days later my car was recovered by police which fingers prints etc was taken i was over joyed that i had my car back. I went to veiw the car to state damage etc which is where we started to have the problem… Read Full Review

Ispywmli's Response to claireally's Review

Written on: 19/10/2010

Tesco have changed their insurance partner from RBS to Fortis

Unfortis's Response to claireally's Review

Written on: 13/03/2011

I found this review very helpful because...I am in the same position. My car was stolen off my driveway, I have CCTV footage of the theft, that took over 30 minutes for the scum to get in and drive away my car and Fortis or Ageas as they are now are stating they do not believe the events took place as per my statement. They sent an invesigater round and he certainly took my side but they have ignored all the evidence and claim the car could not be stolen without a key; and that I must therefore have provided them with one.
<br/>I am looking at a claim for deformation of character. Thirty years not so much a parking fine much less a speeding fine, claim free and I get treated like this!

Read 2 Comments

“I recently made a claim, my van was collected by the...”

Written on: 01/06/2010

I recently made a claim, my van was collected by the insurers bodyshop to repair.I was given a coutesy van to use for 7 days! After 6 WEEKS! to repair a front corner of my van, my van was returned. I was then sent a bill for £ 1000 for the hire of the van because the 'free' hire was only for 7 days. I 'apparently' didn't read the small print in my policy. FORTIS blamed the bodyshop for the delay and the bodyshop blamed a 'parts delay' Didn't know Transit parts came from the moon!
I was… Read Full Review

“Awful company and rude unhelpful staff. I would not...”

Written on: 10/05/2010

Awful company and rude unhelpful staff. I would not recommend to anyone!… Read Full Review