Aviva Pension Reviews - www.aviva.co.uk

Summary

Norwich Union pensions are now known as Aviva pensions in the UK.

Aviva Pension www.aviva.co.uk - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Aviva Pension www.aviva.co.uk

“Hopeless to deal with”

Written on: 16/05/2022 by Hiker49 (1 review written)

For the last month I've been trying to get Aviva to change my bank account for pension payments without any response to any of my: Three online enquiry forms, where they say that they reply within 72 hours. The 1st one was 4 weeks ago! Two formal complaints using their specific online form. Why is it so difficult for them to do such a simple task? What is the point of sending a formal complaint if it, too is ignored? Do I have to complain to the Ombudsman to get action?

“Absolutely pathetic company”

Written on: 10/05/2022 by Maddenx475 (1 review written)

I’ve been trying to withdraw my pension for 2 months and they have put obstacles in my way from the start. The latest excuse for not paying me MY money is that my signature has changed since I took the policy out 30 years ago!!! Absolutely the worst company I’ve ever dealt with.

“Terrible Company ”

Written on: 18/02/2022 by Gabrielle278 (1 review written)

I have been trying to transfer my Aviva pension to Nest for several months now with no success. Nest have requested further information from Aviva with no response. I have also emailed Aviva several times again with no response. Now looking at taking legal advice to recover my pension.

“Look elsewhere if you want good returns”

Written on: 31/01/2022 by markaylott (31 reviews written)

I have quite a few policies in place with this company and have recently been reviewing them for my own benefit , and have also been comparing them to similar policies i have with other providers. After looking these over quite extensively i have found that my policies with aviva have underperformed hugely , After speaking with customer service and asking for explanations into this underperformance, i got the answer i fully expected from them regarding recent volatilty in stock market , coronavirus , bank rates etc... , but after explaining that other similar policies had far beaten them for returns ,then they had no real answer. I was told that my particular policy was split into segments for investment ( being property , cash , stocks and others ) but have checked on percentage of all of those things over the course of the last year and found a significant rise in all sectors yet my flexible bond fund has decreased. After the explanations of this nature i suggested that maybe their financial planning team should possibly be looking at why the way they have this split is not working , and change tact . Although this was not taken on board Funnily enough ,aviva have still taken their annual costs for running this plan for me , even though it has underperformed with no real solid explanation as to why. I now have other money to invest in a policy , but will not be employing aviva to use , as my current ones have not been a good investment at all and on this upsetting basis, i will be closing this policy down and looking for another too .

“Terrible Company”

Written on: 13/10/2021 by 40Rose (1 review written)

Just been reading the plethora of shocking reviews concerning Aviva annuity product. My husband is currently trying valiantly to draw down his pension from Aviva but is being given the run a round - lots of empty promises and downright mistruths. Looks like he is in for a battle royal to get anything back from them. I suspect they are about to go under and hence their reluctance to pay out any monies. Need to remind them, this is not their money, it belongs to my husband and was meant to ensure that we had a reasonable retirement. I guess, judging from others experience, that we can whistle for this now.

“Call centre has nice music, not much else. They are...”

Written on: 09/02/2021

As an employee I've had no choice in the pension provider. But given their customer care I wouldn't recommend them. I've been on the phone for a long long time now; someone should tell these guys that there are a few people looking for employment. Nice match!

“Dreadful company”

Written on: 28/04/2020 by Karinhall (1 review written)

Had a letter saying they owe me over £800.00 and it would be paid on the 3rd March and Still waiting. Staff do not know what they are doing . Cannot get through on the phone, then then sent me a letter to my old address which I left 9 years ago. They said that they haven’t got my new address but they sent the first letter here!!! Data protection has gone right out of the window. On line account do not work and no one replies to emails. I have now reported these idiots to the financial ombudsman and I hope they will be able to help me now.

“Show contempt for customers”

Written on: 09/11/2018 by Javionr24 (1 review written)

In March I asked Aviva to drawdown income from my pension as I wanted to receive it in the 2017 tax year ending on 5 April. The company paid money in to my bank account on 4th April in period 12 of the 2017 tax year. They then sent a certificate to HMRC saying the money was received on 10 April allocated to period 1 of the 2018 tax year. Due to this error I have paid over £2000 tax that I do not owe. Despite numerous phone calls, emails and a letter to the CEO the company have done nothing to correct their error. They have not even responded to emails. HMRC tell me it is Aviva's responsibility to correct their mistake. My advice is to avoid this company.

“ORGANISATIONALLY INCOMPETENT - DO NOT GET A SIPP WITH...”

Written on: 25/09/2018 by ritchardwilliams (1 review written)

Aviva pensions feel like a business about to go bust. My experience is they are organisationally inept at best. If this were a bank it would be out of business. It is unnecessarily just too difficult to communicate. I need to access my money and nothing they have done gives me any confidence whatsoever that I can access my money when needed. SUMMARY Transferred pension money into a SIPP (Self Invested Personal Pension) with Aviva. Then tried to withdraw some of my money and became totally frustrated, suffered financial loss as a result of Aviva not being able to manage customer requests and they have caused me distress. 1. Effective communication is almost impossible - no on-line help, phone lines busy, lack of response to e-mails, delay in response to e-mails, no auto response to e-mails so you just do not know if they have received your e-mail (the customer service e-mail address does have an auto e-mail response but the pension e-mail address at myinvestmentportfolio does not. 2. Aviva business processes actively stop you accessing YOUR pension monies. 3. Aviva readily accept a transfer in of money but place barriers in the way of you withdrawing money – there is no excuse for this. They say it’s for security reasons which is nonsense. RECOMMENDATIONS 1. DO NOT transfer any pension into an Aviva SIP. 2. TRANSFER OUT any SIP monies to a competent pension provider to avoid any future issues. FACTS 1. Transferred a pension into Aviva in August 2018 from another provider I. They collected the money within 3 weeks mainly due to the previous pension provider releasing the funds quickly II. Aviva did not ask a lot of questions about who I was (but I had a previous account with them on line for some years) III. Aviva did test my bank account with a £1 and refunded £1 in the 3rd week of June 2018 2. Received an e-mail and letter from the previous pension provider confirming transfer. Received an e-mail from Aviva 3. Went on-line to Myaviva. Searched for help on the process to withdraw funds: I. Could not find any help text related to pension fund withdrawal II. Next day back on Myaviva and tried On Line Chat - sorry no one available III. Next day back onto Myaviva and re-tried On Line Chat – sorry no one available IV. Next day rang Help Line- sorry we are experienced a high volume of calls. I did not hang onto the line as there was no indication of how long I would have to wait or what number I was in the queue V. Next day rang Help Line again – same problem as before VI. Back on-line to see if I had missed anything the first time in searching for help. Managed to find a drop down that refined the search criteria for help selection. Went for pension help – sounded about right. Sorry we do not have any help available for that VII. Very frustrated by now so rang the Help Line again, sorry we are experiencing a high volume of calls 4. In the absence of any help, went on-line to Myaviva again to see what I could do to withdraw some of my money: I. Managed to request a withdrawal but this is done in an indirect way. Had to request a withdrawal quote illustration. The site said this would be e-mailed to me II. Received an e-mail the next day on 21_08_2018 with a .pdf attached. This had a reference to aviva.co.uk_drawdown which informs very little – basically states we will tell you how much we will charge and if you have complaints put them in writing – but does not inform you on how to actually drawdown monies The e-mail from Aviva say’s please respond to this e-mail (which I did), quote the drawdown illustration reference (unable to see this anywhere) and lists I number of statements/questions, generally relating to the legal protection of Aviva and purporting to identify who I am. I responded by e-mail on 24_08_2018 to each statement/question in an attached Word.doc. Aviva wanted a cancelled cheque, a bank statement an attestation signed by various possible people. My response was they were not getting a cancelled cheque (have not used a cheque for 3+ years), they were not getting a copy of my bank statement for the requested for the last 3 month period as my bank statement was private and had nothing to do with Aviva. I had provided my bank account details on-line and Aviva had already checked this with a £1 in and £1 out, my Word.doc had my bank details at the head of the document and at the end. I had clearly stated the amount I wished to withdraw, they had my NI number, I could be checked using Experian and I had an account with Aviva for some years I did receive an automatic e-mail response thanking me for my drawdown request the next day 24_08_2018 I sent an e-mailed requesting a response to my e-mail I sent the original request to myinvestmentportfolio as this was the contact address provided. However, this address has no automatic e-mail response so you have no idea if the e-mail has been received or not 03_09_2018 I sent an e-mail request to contactus as I had no auto response to confirm that the myinvestmentportfolio e-mail address had in fact received my e-mail. The reply from the contactus address was that my e-mail had been passed to the relevant department 03_09_2018 reply from myinvestmentportfolio saying they needed to verify my bank account 03_09_2018 I replied saying that Aviva had my bank account details and had already verified my account and that I had provided a Word.doc with my bank account details at the top and foot of the document with clear instructions on my request to withdraw some money 06_09_2018 received an e-mail from myinvestmentportfolio saying there was a backlog but someone would get back to me by the end of the day 06_09_2018 received an e-mail from myinvestmentportfolio saying they thought they had seen my bank details but could I confirm what e-mail address I had sent these to 06_09_2018 sent an e-mail to myinvestmentportfolio with a copy of the original attachment containing all the responses to the question from Aviva together with a summary table of the e-mail correspondence to date 10_09_2018 sent an e-mail to myinvestmentportfolio with a cc to contactus asking if I was going to receive a reply to my last email dated 06_09_2018 10_09_2018 received an auto response from contactus saying my e-mail had been passed to the relevant area 11_09_2018 received the following e-mail request: After having a look at your account, we do need you to send in documents for bank verification. This is purely for security measures and preventing fraudsters. This can be in the form of a bank statement or voided cheque. This does not have to be certified and can now be sent in via email. Please insure : • It is dated within the last 3 months • Features the branch stamp • Features 5 days worth of previous transactions • Includes your name, account name, sort code and account number. • If a cheque, that it is voided 11/09/2018 I replied saying I have no intention of sending you either a bank statement or voided cheque Because: 1.I have not used a cheque for 3+ years 2. My bank statement is nothing to do with you 3. I have given you very clear instructions 4. I have given you my bank details 5. I am registered with Experian 6. You have at least the same information as HMRC and they have no issues. 7. Other pension providers have had no problems with the same information 8. I log onto MyAviva_com you correspond with me - who do you think you are talking to if not me? You accepted the transfer in of the pension with no issues - why all this obfuscation when I seek to withdraw my money? There is sufficient information for you to conduct the action that I have requested to access my monies I will give until Friday 14_09_2018 for you to transfer my monies After that date I will move the entire fund to another provider Ps my NI number is AA NN NN A 11_09_2018 auto response from contactus – your e-mail has been passed to the relevant area 19_09_2018 I e-mailed Aviva asking if I was going to get a response to my request to drawdown money from my account. If I did not get a response then I would transfer the account to another provider 19_09_2018 auto response from contactus, your e-mail has been passed to the relevant area 25_09_2018 waiting for a reply or action from Aviva

“Getting blood out of a stone would be easier”

Written on: 09/09/2018 by Countryfile (1 review written)

My pension matured over a year ago, and I have been trying to extract my money ever since. The first problem is that my pension was originally with Friends Life, and Aviva took that over. But it seems that they did not give Friends Life customers the same benefits Aviva customers, and so I was unable to access any Aviva plans. It took several complaints to unearth this fact. They also have the uncanny ability to answer simple questions with several more complicated questions. And then messaging system is so well encrypted that it is impossible to read their messages. And just Things off their investment performance is absolutely abysmal. Whilst I have been trying to extract my money its value has actually reduced. I can’t think of another company, at any time, which has given me worse customer service. They are absolutely the pits. If you are considering investing your pension money in Aviva I have one simple piece of advice. Don’t!

“worst company ever”

Written on: 30/08/2018 by ngSantiago188 (1 review written)

Trying to cash my pension in , despite filling in all the forms they sent and continually phoning them on there joke phone system, usually takes half hour to make a call. Still waiting for any information from them. A complete bunch of idiots.

“Aviva are failing to pay my pension lump sum.”

Written on: 30/06/2018 by KeylaWest116 (1 review written)

Aviva are failing to pay my pension lump sum. (AV20055229-001) They say it is a priority - but it is now over a month late and they advise that they don't know when I will be paid and the complaints department advise they are unable to assist. My advise id don't use this company for anything..

“LOTS OF PEOPLE ARE CALLING US TODAY ..... REALLY???????”

Written on: 15/05/2018 by MALCOLMUTCH (1 review written)

Have been trying to get my money for a month now, first the system went down then on hold for 45mins before i gave up phoned back another 30mins un answered pressed option 1 next time for a call back so i didnt lose my place still waiting 7 days later how long is this queue aviva??? On hold as i write this and up to 15 mins already the hold music is awful anyone that is even a little bit tempted to take any product out with this set of clowns beware if you have a problem or wish to get your money it will take you a very long time to avhieve this small task

“2 months of incompetence to restart direct debit”

Written on: 22/04/2018 by Kassandrah141 (1 review written)

for 2 months and 2 direct debit forms later I am still waiting for my pension payments to restart. what they can tell me is if they don't restart by may the pension becomes frozen. sharp practice!. h and l restarted pension by simple phone. treat good customers like ****.

“Aviva - appalling Longest wait for the 'phone to be...”

Written on: 04/04/2018 by 5yearson (2 reviews written)

I would give them a minus score if I could. I am writing this review as I wait for someone - anyone -to answer my call at Aviva. Having waited for 5 minutes for the phone to be answered, I have now waited a further 25 minutes for the'Retirement' Team to answer my call. I dealt with Aviva on the same issue last year and had to wait serious amounts of time then - my previous review is somewhere on this site. I was assured that they were recruiting new members of staff to accommodate the number of calls. Patently not! I was very concerned when Friends Provident were taken over by Aviva, they were a lovely, helpful company, and my Pension with them had performed extremely well. Not so since the Aviva takeover, the reason I want to talk to them is to surrender my policy, I can't wait not to have to deal with them anymore. Dreadful customer service, they obviously think they are so big they don't need to bother. Please don't take out a policy with them and if you have one - transfer it somewhere else!

“Worst service ever”

Written on: 14/02/2018 by Simonos11 (1 review written)

Use at your peril. Aviva are simply dreadful. Uncommunicative isn't the word;unfortunately they are holding my cash and I can't even get to discuss it with them. I'll be pulling out at the first opportunity and will never touch them with a barge pole in future.

“Aviva have stolen my money”

Written on: 02/11/2017 by abolishaviva (1 review written)

I have paid into a private pension which unfortunately is with aviva. I could have drawn it 7 years ago but have deferred it. In the meantime I have tried to contact them on several occasions for information - and failed! I now want to draw the pension, and they simply do not answer my emails, I have sent them more than 10 now. This company should be forcibly closed by the FSA. By not acknowledging me, they are effectively saying **** off we are not paying out.

Markyax's Response to abolishaviva's Review

Written on: 31/01/2018

Having same problem they are not responding to my emails and the letter I sent week's ago have still not received a reply,I think they believe you will just give up and go away,the worst thing is I was with another company until Oct 2017 but Aviva took over.

Abolishaviva's reply to Markyax's Comment

Written on: 01/02/2018

Yes mine was transferred against my will too... However, I am now communicating with them after I threatened to write a 'private and confidential' letter to the CEO... I then got a phone call and someone immediately assigned to my case.

Abolishaviva's reply to Markyax's Comment

Written on: 01/02/2018

Read 3 Comments

“AVIVA delayed payments - Ignorant not Excellent”

Written on: 09/05/2017 by Thorington (1 review written)

I wish it were possible to have the option of 'ZERO' stars, because thats what I would give Aviva. Is anyone else aware that since Friday 5th May (4 days ago), they have had a system problem that prevents payments being made for some customers? I called, and they were supposed to ring me back on Saturday - they didn't. I called Monday, to hear that they had this problem, and supposedly still trying to resolve it. Have you ever heard anything as ludicrous? It does get worse, apparently if you wish to make a complaint, their complaints department have to call you back - IN 5 DAYS !!!!! So how best to handle a disgruntled customer - Aviva appear to think ignore them for 5 days. Hey Aviva - Ever heard of customer service. A good company is not one that doesn't have problems, it's one that resolves them with excellence, NOT ignorance.

“Incompetent, poorly trained, inefficient phone staff ”

Written on: 24/03/2017 by Calliev233 (1 review written)

After a 45 minute call in which I could achieve a small percentage of my business and was put on hold a total of 5 times I finally gave up. Trying to convert a FSAVC pension into a Stakeholder pension was not possible. Trying to Find out the maximum I could pay into an existing FSAVC pension I was actually told there was no limit. Trying to change my address had to be diverted to another assistant as the one I spoke with was not authorised to change an address. Trying to change a Direct Debit had to come to me by e mail and be sent back by post. Wasts of time calling them.

“Poor return”

Written on: 24/08/2016 by rxFry1976 (1 review written)

I worked for M&S 40 years ago. Although I only worked for 8 months I made pension contributions. I haven't been contacted till recently to be told that my contributions were only £0.02. They wrote saying that a yield of 20% has resulted in a pension pot of £40. What they haven't said is what happened to the pension contributions. I can only assume management charges have taken everything. Dealing with Aviva is a nightmare.

Christinechantoin's Comment

Written on: 21/03/2017

I absolutely agree they are a nightmare. I can tell you if I had my time over again I would NEVER take out a private pension - I would rather put my money under a mattress! they have so many ways to stop you from enjoying what you thought would be a nice pension pot come retirement. Forget that - they make it as complicated as possible to get your money. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER take out a private pension - that would be my advice

Arranach's Comment

Written on: 08/05/2019

I've just been told that some of my smaller plans have lapsed as the charges have taken all the capital. If I had put it in a standard bank account I would have still had them. They supposedly invest long term in the stock market & the earnings should be sufficient to cover their charges.

Read 2 Comments

Asked by janetcrowe on 25th September 2018 Report this content
A company I worked for previously stated a Company Pension Scheme in July 1990 with Norwich Union Life Insurance Society for which they paid 2.5% of my salary for three years with no employee contributions. Barclays acted as the administrator of the scheme. Can you tell me how I can find out if there is any pension money for me? Thank you

Thanks for answering this question.

We will email your when your answer is on the site

Answers (1)
Report this content 5yearson Written on: 26/09/2018
Probably your best option is to contact the Pensions Advisory Service. They are an official organisation and I found them very helpful when considering options for my Pension. They advise on all aspects of Pensions and I’m sure they could point you in the right direction to find an old pension that has been taken over. Good luck