GEM Motoring Assist Breakdown Cover Reviews

• Customer service

GEM Motoring Assist Breakdown Cover - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for GEM Motoring Assist Breakdown Cover

GEM Motoring Assist Breakdown Cover

“wont call to breakdown wanted to charge ”

Written on: 06/03/2022 by akhtar27 (1 review written)

Visit www.motoringassist.com

I broke down today and called GEM, who were very unhelpful. I had young children in the car including a 5 month old baby with me and it was a very cold day. My vehicle was smoking and had a burning smell; I informed this to the operator who asked me to check the engine oil and asked me when I topped the engine oil up last. I advised the agent of this and was informed that they can get a service van out to me, but would charge me £90.00 plus £3.00 for every mile the service van drove to get to me if it was down to poor maintenance. I advised the agent that I am not a mechanic and I do not want to be charged for something I am not sure of. There was no low oil warning light to advise me of this on the vehicle dash board. How could the operator assume that the car was not properly maintained without knowing the service history of the vehicle .Is GEM using this as an excuse to charge their customer? I have been a loyal customer for several years on the all singing and dancing recovery extra family plan and with the experience I have had with them today I will not be renewing my family membership. I believe if i had been a member of RAC AA, Greenflag etc they would have come out to look at the car and if need be recover the car. i will be forwarding a complaint to GEM .

“Happy with the service”

Written on: 03/07/2021 by adrianchance (2 reviews written)

Visit www.motoringassist.com

Very happy with the service I got from GEM after I'd parked my car on the verge and couldn't get it off. It was a pretty straightforward operation to tow it off but the operator/rescue chappie was very helpful.

Written on: 07/07/2021

Dear Member,

Thank you for taking the time to give such positive feedback about the service recently provided to your breakdown. It is great to know that we are achieving the high standards we set.

“very bad service”

Written on: 30/06/2021 by alanbax1 (1 review written)

Visit www.motoringassist.com

took 21 hours to back to Southend from just outside Portsmouth, taken to Cobham Service Station to pick up onward vehicle to Southend asked how long this would be told 30mins at most phone call back saying this would not now happen a mistake had taken place and nobody would becoming to-day to take us on got a room in hotel at service station, told vehicle will be there for on Saturday [email protected] 9.30am got to us @ 10.40am told a person would us about are problems over the last few hours nobody did until I phoned again on Sunday again told a senior person would ring, you got nobody did until I rung again, will now cancel my time with this lot and go with the AA or RAC

Written on: 07/07/2021

Dear Member,

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

We are very sorry and disappointed to read that the service you received to your breakdown was below our usual standard.

We understand your complaint is being investigated by our Customer Services Department to find out what went wrong on this occasion.

“battery failure re-start”

Written on: 30/06/2021 by BrayanMaloney1 (1 review written)

Visit www.motoringassist.com

returned to car in garden centre park and battery dead. called GEM and told someone would be there within the hour.The breakdown man arrived in less than 15 mins.OUTSTANDING!! Very efficient and friendly young man had us going in 10mins.what a service. thank you very much.10/10 for the breakdown man.

Dear Member,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give positive feedback about the service recently provided. It is great to know that we are achieving the high standards we aim for.

The GEM Team

“Road side assistance that doesn't assist?”

Written on: 30/06/2021 by Bmwrninet (1 review written)

Visit www.motoringassist.com

My vehicle broke down but was something very simple.When the guy came he stated he couldn't even look at my vehicle because it was a BMW.All he could do was transport the vehicle.How is this road side assistance.?Try and fix the vehicle first?At least look at it ? This baffled me

Dear GEM Motoring Assist member,

We were sorry to read that the service you received to your recent breakdown was not up to our usual high standards.

We would like to investigate this further, so if your complaint has not already been logged with Customer Services please contact them, using any of the contact options found on the ‘Contact Us’ section of our website.

Bmwrninet's reply to Gem Motoring Assist's Comment

Written on: 30/06/2021

I spoke to one of your supervisors.He stated that he would put a note on my account to highlight that my vehicles should be inspected and attempted to be fixed before transport?? Absolute nonsense
Is this service not default!?
It is called ASSISTANCE
The vehicle is only transported when it can't be fixed
But how can you attempt to fix something if you won't even inspect it
And I stated above... NONSENSE

Read 2 Comments

“Quick and great service”

Written on: 24/06/2021 by BobTodd11Todd11 (1 review written)

Visit www.motoringassist.com

Arrived ten minutes after calling and got meSafely home!

Written on: 25/06/2021

The GEM Team

“Engine shut down on motorway.”

Written on: 23/06/2021

Visit www.motoringassist.com

While driving south on the M6 (towing a caravan) I got an engine warning light on the dash then the engine cut out. I was able to coast to the side of the road and relative safety because Junction 19 was closed, Had that not been the case I would have been hung out in a live lave as this stretch of the M6 is being converted to "Smart Motorway". I called GEM and they advised also contacting Highways England to also advise them of my problem. To cut a long story short I was recovered to Knutsford Services where I was met by the GEM approved mechanic. This young man worked extremely hard to get us going after diagnosing the fault and to his credit the fault has not returned.

“Classic car breakdown”

Written on: 23/06/2021 by MGBJohn (1 review written)

Visit www.motoringassist.com

My MGB GT broke down and would not re-start. Mechnaic was with me in 45 minutes and rapidly fixed the problem. Excellent service

Dear Member,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give such positive feedback about the service recently provided. It is great to know that we are achieving the high standards we aim for.

The GEM Team

“Refused to carry out the simplest of repairs”

Written on: 23/06/2021 by GJPC (1 review written)

Visit www.motoringassist.com

My car's alternator belt had broken, but GEM refused to send someone to replace it, as the AA or RAC would have done, and instead offered only to recover the car. GEM's pathetic excuse was that their staff did not have the right tools (to change an alternator belt you need one or two spanners). I cancelled the call out, got a lift to a motor factor's in the next town, bought a belt, and fitted it myself.

Dear GEM Motoring Assist member,

The GEM Team

“Breakdown of classic car.”

Written on: 23/06/2021 by steveT52 (1 review written)

Visit www.motoringassist.com

When my classic car broke down with an automatic gearbox problem, on a Wednesday afternoon just as the peak time was starting, I was stuck in busy traffic on a main road. The lady on the phone was very calm and helpful, getting to know exactly where I was, often having to repeat questions because of the traffic noise. Within fifteen minutes of disconnecting, the driver rang me to confirm where I was and, only an hour after breaking down, the car was on the truck. At home, the driver was great, making sure the truck was properly lined up and the car went into my drive without damage. At a busy time of day the stress was taken out of breaking down by the calm professionalism of all.

Dear Member,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback about the service we recently provided. It is great to know that we are achieving the high standards we strive for.

“Prompt, Helpful, Safe”

Written on: 16/06/2021 by StigDoople (1 review written)

Visit www.motoringassist.com

The operative arrived within the hour, was very knowledgable, friendly and safety minded. Identified the issue and then transported the car and myself to my garage of choice with minimum fuss. When there, he helped make sure the car was secure and in a position that meant my mechanic would be able to find it and work on it with minimal delay. Can identify noting in the service I did not like.

Written on: 18/06/2021

The GEM Team

“AMAZING quick recovery ”

Written on: 16/06/2021 by Lawson114 (1 review written)

Visit www.motoringassist.com

Friendly from the moment I called, super helpful , quick and efficient. Thank you

Written on: 16/06/2021

Written on: 16/06/2021

The GEM Team

“Excellent value for money ”

Written on: 16/06/2021 by McCulloch445 (1 review written)

Visit www.motoringassist.com

Have used GEM for 2 breakdown callouts so far and have been excellent so far. Great value compared with some of the 'big organisations.

Written on: 17/06/2021

“Recent Home Breakdown”

Written on: 11/06/2021 by Matthewh1989 (1 review written)

Visit www.motoringassist.com

I called your centre when i tried to start my car. The battery was completely flat. The operator was very helpful and understanding he then told me that a breakdown company would attend shortly.I then received a text telling me a company called Cedar Breakdown would call within 1 hour 15mins. They arrived within 40 min. Got me started within 10 min. When the Recovery Driver arrived he rung me and told he was outside. You cannot get a better service.There was nothing i did not like, I had heard of Gem before i joined.The best thing is they dont keep you waiting for hours they arrive when they say they will. A lot cheaper and more feliable than the large national agents.

“Gone in to Limp mode as I was approaching destination.”

Written on: 09/06/2021 by Lambyx6 (1 review written)

Visit www.motoringassist.com

The call out mechanic found no fault codes, he had no real suggestions what the issue was but told me I was k to drive the vehicle. 2wks have passed since his attention and I have only just been able to get it in to find out what the problem is. I found a way around the problem, which apparently revolves around the DPF and have been driving it in low gears to attempt a regen and this prevents it going in to limp mode. But as soon as I put in a higher gear with rpm low, it goes straight in to limp mode. I have never owned a diesel vehicle before and only purchased because I have gone self employed and only found a suitable van using diesel. Diesels are too temperamental to use to prevent too much effect on the environment.

Written on: 11/06/2021

Dear Member,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give feedback about the service recently provided. It is great to know that we are achieving the high standards we aim for.

The GEM Team

“Excellent service, could not be better. ”

Written on: 09/06/2021 by Bertiebray15 (1 review written)

Visit www.motoringassist.com

As I was a passenger in my daughters Kia Nero hybrid car when it broke down it was necessary that I use the service for the first time. The car could not be fixed at the roadside and was taken to the local Kia dealers by the breakdown driver. My daughter and I were offered a lift home by another daughters neighbour which we accepted.(I had forgotten about the forward travel clause),both of us arrived home soon after the car was picked up. I did not realise a taxi company had been contacted and were trying to locate us. So it`s a thumbs up to G E M.

Written on: 09/06/2021

The GEM Team

“Fast , friendly and efficient ”

Written on: 02/06/2021 by Lulu.Boatwright (1 review written)

Visit www.motoringassist.com

Got through on phone quickly, agent listened to everything I had to say. She arranged for someone to come to my home to check my car, saying they aim to be with me within 40 minutes. They actually arrived 15 minutes later, the mechanic was Covid safe, very polite and friendly and was able to sort out my issue quickly and left me reassured and happy

Written on: 08/06/2021

“Breakdown ”

Written on: 02/06/2021 by 1955Kearns (1 review written)

Visit www.motoringassist.com

From beginning to end the whole experience was 5 Star . There was no wait to connect to an operator, the operator was kind and courteous and dealt very quickly with our breakdown . The operator advised that they would call a breakdown service and would advise me by text with a name and ETA. Within 2 mins if the call a txt arrived with name and ETA . The breakdown service arrive very quickly and diagnosed the fault and got me back on the road within 20 minutes. Again , fantastic service and many thanks to those involved for the excellent service.

“Good Service ”

Written on: 02/06/2021 by Locallady13 (1 review written)

Visit www.motoringassist.com

Our car would not go. Dead battery, The engineer was on time and placed the power pack on and it started. Bought a new battery and the car is all better now.

“Car won't keep going”

Written on: 11/03/2021 by paulinedj (3 reviews written)

Visit www.motoringassist.com

We've been with GEM for a number of years now, and have been very satisfied with the service. This time, your man was very gentle with our old friend.

Written on: 12/03/2021