Epson Perfection 4990 Reviews

• Scan Quality

• Ease of Set Up

Epson Perfection 4990 - Ask a question now

“In my experience... I had to supervise the automatic...”

Written on: 14/01/2008 by JonaBlom (1 review written)

In my experience... I had to supervise the automatic cutting of the gamma curve, otherwise I would of losy some of the original gradation. Software cuts high and low ends of the curve automatically unless you supervise and correct manually. Generally use the "low" automatic sharpness enhancement. I would like to be able to scan 16 diapositives at a time (like in the HP G4050), but I am unneccessarily limited to 8 with the Epson. However, I still recommend this scanner due to my good points… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“I bought an Epson Perfection 4990 in late June. ”

Written on: 06/09/2005 by Ratsalad (2 reviews written)

I bought an Epson Perfection 4990 in late June.
It's an OK piece of Kit. It replaced my Umax Astra 6440 firewire, which I was perfectly happy with. My scan log shows I have made 73 scans in the 3 months I have owned the 4990. Suddenly green streaks started appearing on my scans. On mailing Epson support, they tell me it is broken!
Follows... is their returns and repair policy. Impressed? neither am I.
The issue you are experiencing is caused by a physical fault with the scanner unit… Read Full Review

Written on: 08/09/2005

Spoke to Epson the following day, and they were most unhelpful, I got the call centre and they were like a broken record; 'sorry, we can only supply a reconditioned unit.' Same with the e-mail responses.
<br>I spoke to trading standards, and was informed they have to supply 'like with like'. ie. a 3 month old or less, with 73 scans or less on the clock. How would I know I hadn't got a 20,000 scan one from a busy office, 'refurbed'? They told me they reset the counter.
<br>Armed with knowledge from T Standards, I approached Epson customer support. Told them I wanted a new scanner, or mine repaired and returned, at their cost. After much Umming and Ahhhing, they agreed to the latter. Whatever you buy, consider the support. I may yet end up having paid £300 for a scanner with an unknown history, and one that's certainly had a problem in the past. Poor show, Epson.

Written on: 11/12/2006

Yes! It was! At my feet is my Umax Astra, which sprang back to life! The Epson is boxed in the loft!

Goodshepherd's Response to Ratsalad's Review

Written on: 11/12/2006

Was this ever resolved?
<br/>
<br/>11 December 2006

Benm99's Response to Ratsalad's Review

Written on: 27/09/2005

I have found you coments and experiences very interesting. I was about to purchase an Epson scanner here in NZ having rread a good review in an Australian PC Magazine (I am in New Zealand).. Now I will send off details of your experience and get an assurance the same problem doesnt happen here in NZ. I have alread abandoned Hp because of incredible frustrations dealing with their help desk in Bangalore India - it's absolutely hopeless.

Written on: 15/09/2005

Just received my scanner back after 8 days with Epson. No paperwork or any communication at all. The blue indicator light is still broken, it still puts blue/green streaks across the scans. Epson have promised to call tomorrow, to tell me which parts they replaced......

Read 5 Comments

“The Epson Perfection 4990 was bought to replace a...”

Written on: 16/02/2005 by triedalot (32 reviews written)

The Epson Perfection 4990 was bought to replace a dedicated film scanner which was capable of 3600 dpi, this machine produces excellent results, easily and quickly using Epson's own software - but see comment in Bad points. Scanner is built like a proverbial tank. If only Epson's software didn't cut off the images, I would have awarded 10 stars for scan quality - at this price it just shouldn't happen… Read Full Review