Hair by Fairy Reviews

Hair by Fairy - Ask a question now

“Definitely recommend ”

written by GavinLew on 01/08/2022

I work in Covent Garden and have been using Hair By Fairy to cut my hair for about 15 years. Really friendly staff. A fun and professional atmosphere. Always leave looking good - hence why I’ve kept going back and back and back!!. Some of my colleagues already get their haircut here and would recommend it to anyone. Also located in Neals Yard, which is lovely and definitely worth a visit.

“Honest, professional, lovely!”

written by wlRamsey11 on 03/02/2022

I've been coming to HBF for over 20 years now, after a friend recommended them to me as a student. Since that initial warm welcome and the very first, amazing, great-value cut, I have never had any cause to consider going elsewhere. They are warm, genuine, lovely human beings who care about their clients, are always reasonably priced, and are very good at what they do.

“Do not use this place”

written by keithosborne1 on 03/08/2014

I visited Hair by Fairy on Saturday 3rd of August after a recommendation by a friend and had simply the worst haircut of my life. I took a photograph along of what I was after, nothing to complicated or unreasonable and discussed with the guy before hand. He proceeded to clipper my hair to death followed by a terribly ragged scissor cut. I was essentially left with a french crop that you would expect from a five quid barber shop. At this point I snapped and produced the photograph of what I had asked for alongside my non existent hair. I asked several stylists in the shop if what I had asked for was anything close to what I had been given and they embarrassingly agreed. I offered to pay for the terrible cut and but they at least had the decency to let me leave without. Frankly inept hairdressing. Do not use this place.

“BEWARE!!!!”

written by Taliyah433 on 07/06/2014

I wish I had read reviews before I went there yesterday. One sleepless night should say for all my feelings of hurt and distress. I had waist length hair and now it is just below the shoulder. I wanted a trim of shape, not cutting more than 1 inch and I even showed a picture on my phone to the hairdresser. He barely looked at it and this alone should have been a warning. I am so desperate. I know it will grow back, I know that, but to get it back will take one year or even more, so it is a long wait ahead. I only wish I could turn back the time and I cannot, no matter how long I cry.

“awful place, aviod like the plauge”

written by on 08/07/2012

I went in today for low lights, they were very keen to get me to do it today, even though I only went in for a consultation, and I was conned into it. After this the lady was brisk and little customer service.She didn't even sanitize her comb and I had the blond woman's wet hair cut fall in my face off the comb. She put foils in and I was put in a far corner away from her, and she didn't even check the colour. I was waiting there way too long, so I had to motion to another person to tell her. She was busy making more money in her express chair with other clients. She finally motioned to me to come to the sink, not even bothering to come and get me. She pulled at my hair, to realise the colour had not taken. I had to wait. She added more colour- which was probably more bleach to speed things up. Then she washed my hair very harshly, scrubbing at my head, telling me 'this is the way your mother used to wash your hair' not funny. Painful. She threw the bottom part of my wet hair on my forehead making my face wet and my clothes. This could have been on purpose, she knew I wasn't happy. Worse part is she blow dries only half my hair 'so you can see colour' she says. She tells me they will charge another 33 if they dry it properly. What a joke. Then they tell me at the end they dont take card. I am ten quid short, he makes me leave my hand bag and go to the cash point. Cost 45, which is way too much for a T zone. Horrid, horrid place.

“Honest, professional and accurate”

written by L.P. on 16/04/2012

After seven years that I'm gonig to hair by fairy, I can only say that they are honest, professional and accurate. I have always recommended them and I will continue to do so. Then it is easy to point the finger on the hair dresser instead of admitting that we are all supermodels! People meditate, meditate!

“9 years and never had a bad cut”

written by ZippyDoo on 23/09/2011

I work really close to hair by fairy and have been going there for 9 years and I think the place is great. My hair is quite short and is currently cut into a layered bob. I've had lots of styles and they've all been well cut by the cheerful smart folk they employ. There's always a good atmosphere there and always a queue so get there early...

“I would avoid this place at all costs. Asked for...”

written by on 27/04/2011

I would avoid this place at all costs. Asked for subtle blonde highlights and instead i got an obvious horrible bleach job and have been left with damaged and unmanageable hair that is going to cost me a lot to repair. Most of the hairdressers didn't understand what i was even asking for and could barely understand english making communication hard (something thats essential when communicating a haircut). My hair is ruined thanks to them, will never go back. Do not be tempted in by their cheap prices.

“"What's the difference between a really amazing...”

written by on 06/02/2011

"What's the difference between a really amazing haircut and a good haircut?"

"About two weeks."

Although I lived in DC for five years before moving here, I never did get used to the price of getting my hair cut and highlighted there as compared to Utah. The same has been true here.

When figuring out the optimal solution to my dilemma, the thought has not escaped me that getting my hair done here could be used towards a very large chunk of a plane ticket across the Atlantic--upwards sometimes of 200 pounds at a fairly good salon, or $350--no joke.

I have tried coupons, but still have felt as if I was being taken to the cleaners, so I have taken to booking my hair cut and color in different months to spread out the pain. Although I appreciate the need to develop a relationship with a hair dresser whom you trust, I have kept feeling like there must be a way to get a good hair cut at a decent price and not pay for the extra two weeks to have it absolutely perfect.

Yesterday I found my solution. In the midst of the brightly-colored, delicious, organic restaurants of Neal's Yard (also home to the famous Neal's Yard Dairy and Neal's Yard Remedies) in Covent Garden, is a raw sort of salon called Hair by Fairy.

The prices are almost as good as they are in Utah, so I booked an appointment. I admit to being just the tiniest bit scared of putting my hair in the hands of someone who was not top flight, but I was pleasantly surprised. I love what she did. I'm not adept (nor care) enough to know the miniscule difference throwing more money at it might have made for those extra two weeks, but, as it is, I'm an exceptionally happy customer. The edginess of the salon meant I had to put up with disco music for two hours, but it also meant that my stylist was not stuck in the era in which they went to beauty school (or high school), and I might look like I belong to this decade.

What made the experience even better was her speed. My hair has taken some professionals upwards of
5 hours (I lie not). This time, I was in and out in two hours. At the end, the head honcho told me I didn't even need to make an appointment. Perfect. Here's to simplifying my life and keeping money in my pocket. http://amormonatoxford.../

“i was really impressed by the price but decided to...”

written by on 24/11/2010

i was really impressed by the price but decided to look at some of the reviews on the web and they really really put me off!! however with my money so scarce at the moment i decided to brave it......

...and im really glad i did!

the whole process was very speedy thats true. as soon as i walked in i was hurried to the hair washing chair, there was very little conversation throughout the haircut and no drinks offered but come on...this is a £13 haircut were talking about!
The hairdresser i had, listened to what i wanted and took account of my curly knotty hair when discussing the style with me, his technique was fast but i couldnt fault it. i was very happy with the results!

the staff were not especially friendly and i left with slightly wet hair after my blow dry but for £13 im happy to leave with a great haircut, even if i wasnt treated like a princess!

“I did visit Hair by Fairy yesterday £13 price for a...”

written by on 20/10/2010

I did visit Hair by Fairy yesterday £13 price for a wash, cut and dry ! i didn't wait for long i had best hair cut The hairdressers are also really nice for sure going back:-)Try this place out!

“Never go to Hairbyfairy if you want to remain even...”

written by tabbycummings on 01/08/2010

Never go to Hairbyfairy if you want to remain even slightly attractive. I had gone in to get my hair dyed, I was quoted £95 then told all of the red colours were discontinued and did not exist anywhere (although I've since dyed it myself with a £5 red dye from boots) they then tried to convince me to dye it a light orange which was nothing like what I wanted and when I said no they were really rude. I should have left then as I was really happy with the style I had, however, I thought I may as well get a light trim as I'd made the trip especially. My hairdresser spoke no english at all and set about ruining my hair which is now going to take a lot of growing and cutting to put right. I wish I'd never gone there. If you want to become as repulsive as possible and avoid any flattering attention from anyone this is the place for you. It may be cheap but you'll end up having to pay someone else to undo the terrible job they'll give you. Don't go here!

“This is A review on the account that happened, I am...”

written by on 03/07/2010

This is A review on the account that happened, I am appalled with manner that my mum was treated with, and the ignorance of the shop owner that was shown! I went to get my hair cut.. third time in Hair By Fairy, I was also getting it died, My first time! I was so Happy and couldn't wait to get it done !! I got there, and explained wanted I wanted done, and that I wanted it to be Permanent purple dye, The hair dresser whom was very nice and I adored him, very pleasant person, Said that 'it would be no problem' and that he would 'bleach it first and then dye it and wash it and leave it in, wash it out, and then start to cut my hair layered', I agreed and stated again with My cousin=22, that I wanted it permanent and he said 'that's fine'. he started to bleach it and put tin foil round the bottoms, as i was only getting the bottom bits done, I waited a while for it to set in, but as My hair is very dark, It took longer, we waited and then He washed my hair, and put the dye in, I waited again for longer, and he washed it out, he then cut it.. wet.. and blow dried it, i was so happy, I payed £58 and gave him a £4.00 tip... He was very kind and nice and talked and very friendly :P I was there for 2 hours !... a few days later i realised that My layers on each side weren't the same length, but i coped with it, then I washed my hair and ALOT of then dye came out, and the bath was full of dye..!! A few days later i washed My hair again and nearly all the dye came out, and My hair was left blond, ginger, pink and red :O i went back to the hair dressers and tried to ask him about it, but he said that he had warned my cousin and Me that it wasn't permanent and was rude and getting angry, and when we asked to see the manager, he changed it and said well I'm here to help.. but this was not good enough!! He eventually said allot of story and tried to twist round.. he offered to dye it back to purple, but said it would only last a few days.. so we left..!! I still have the same hair that looks terrible, looks like I'm going to have to do it myself.. me and My FAMILY are never going there again.. because of this incident, and they messed up My Aunties hair and My cousins, I wouldn't trust them again.. Please take this into account !

“HAIR BY FAIRY - COVENT GARDEN ”

written by on 18/04/2010

HAIR BY FAIRY - COVENT GARDEN

Yesterday I had the worst haircut of my life.

I have long straight hair, i asked for two inches to be cut off so that it was straight all the way around, no layers just straight forward trim my hair. I have ended up with hair that is one side two inches longer than the other. I am going to have it corrected today at a another salon!

When the guy started work on my fringe , not only did i fear for my eyes because of his crazy sissor action I had to ask him to stop because he had NO idea what the hell he was doing.

This is now going to cost me a further £40 to have corrected.

“I have never had a worse cut in my life. I thought...”

written by on 09/03/2010

I have never had a worse cut in my life. I thought the barbers when I was a child was a bad experience, but this is something else. The first hurdle was that the "stylist" couldn't understand what I was asking for. After that, he continued to take chunks out of my fringe at random. Now I have hair you might expect on a 5 year old who has found a pair of safety scissors and a mirror. The only positive thing is that I now know NEVER to go cheap again. For any of you on a budget, my advice is: save until you can afford a decent stylist. Horrible...

“dont go if you have any love for your hair ,,,, i...”

written by on 11/01/2010

dont go if you have any love for your hair ,,,, i cried over my hair

“I have medium length thick hair and decided it was...”

written by on 03/09/2009

I have medium length thick hair and decided it was getting scruffy so a neaten up was in order. I asked Hair by Fairy for my long fringe to be left fairly long. I now have the most stupid looking excuse for a short fringe, i think the guy cutting my hair misheard me when i said i didnt want too much off of the top or fringe as i now have the shortest hair i have had in a few years even though i only really wanted it neatened up. I will be wearing a hate for a while i think. I will not be returning.

“I heard Hair by Fairy was a good cheap place to get a...”

written by on 17/08/2009

I heard Hair by Fairy was a good cheap place to get a hair cut and dye in London (so long as you don't mind the fact that often the hairdressers will have a poor understanding of English). I went with an open mind.

Go there if you are happy with the following: There was no greeting at the door, no advice on my colouring and I left with a terrible haircut and zebra streaks. When they washed my hair they squirted water all over me and in my eyes. They weren't as cheap as I thought (£78 for half-head highlights and cut). As I left a women was telling the man at the desk that her haircut was so bad and looked nothing like what she asked for. Instead of listening to her, the manager shouted at her to get out and never come back.

Overall, I wouldn't go back here if someone paid me to.

“Hair by Fairy was truly dreadful. I went there to get...”

written by on 11/08/2009

Hair by Fairy was truly dreadful. I went there to get dreadlocks. All the stylists were outside smoking when I turned up and the manager seemed to ask if anyone wanted to "practice" their dreadlock skills on me so some guy shrugged and sauntered up for the job. Being quite young at the time I just went along with it. It took ages and was incredibly painful and since the stylist didn't understand English I couldn't tell him it hurt or that I needed a break.
The dreadlocks looked awful and many of them seemed half finished. I had to have them taken out at extreme expense very soon after my visit to this place. AWFUL.

“Quick services at Hair by Fairy - great...”

written by on 07/07/2009

Quick services at Hair by Fairy - great hair...reasonable prices.