East Midlands Airport Reviews

East Midlands Airport - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for East Midlands Airport

East Midlands Airport

“What a shambles”

Written on: 09/07/2022 by PaulPrice4444 (1 review written)

Very disappointing first visit to this airport. Security staff barked at my partner, no hint of civility from two of them. Male toilet cleaner shouting down a corridor at female passengers. Delays. No explanations for delays. No announcements. Other staff barking at passengers. Eventually told inbound flight delayed but only after an hour and 10 minutes in a queue and a passenger had to request this information.

“Taxi desk in East Midlands”

Written on: 07/06/2022 by Finned94 (1 review written)

We arrived on Thursday evening at 11 pm and had booked the premier Inn for the night.collected our cases and as 2 ladies of a certain age didn't fancy the walk so late at night, although it is such a short distance.I approached the taxi desk in arrivals and asked the guy how much,his reply was,its very cheap and could I pay by card which I did.It actually cost me 16 pounds, which I think is absolutely disgusting,the journey took 3 minutes.Please stop ripping people off.Never again.

“Hidden Disabilities ”

Written on: 19/05/2022 by Joycemc139 (1 review written)

I flew from EMA a few weeks ago & was shocked that none of the check in staff, security staff etc did not recognise the sunflower badge. On arrival back at EMA it was recognised & we were put str8 through to passport control. Surely staff should be aware of this symbol on checking in for flights as part of helping people with hidden disabilities.

“I would give zero if i could, main gripe parking charges”

Written on: 14/11/2020 by RogerVaughn53 (1 review written)

terrible airport, staff are uninterested and unhelpful, after my partners last trip in october we will never ever use them again. Looking at other review forums it seems that I am not in the minority with my opinion. Come on east midlands you can do better than this!!!!

“Delays both ways ”

Written on: 16/05/2017 by KD1956 (1 review written)

Only 3 security stations (out of 9) open on the way out - over 40 mins to get through. Delays on the way back at border control because of those ridiculous self serve stations which mostly fail to scan the photo part of your passport. Badly organised overall and seem only interested in taking your money at the Duty Free.

“AWFUL SECURITY ARRANGEMENTS”

Written on: 24/02/2017 by Dicksonls271 (1 review written)

HUGE LINES AT SECURITY AT RUSH HOUR THROUGH INCOMPETENT STAFF AND POOR PROCESS. STAFF UNFRIENDLY AND UNHELPFUL. BADLY TRAINED. NOT CAPABLE OF REACTING TO NEEDS OF PASSENGERS. IN COMPARISON TO MY NORMAL EXPEREINCE AT EAST MIDLANDS 20 FEB 17 AT 0800 WAS VERY BADLY ORGANISED. MAYBE 25% OF THE STAFF WERE EFFECTIVE, REMAINDER CONTRIBUTED ( AND APPEARED TO DELIGHT IN ) SLOWING UP THE WHOLE PROCESS - ONE GUY REFUSING TO MOVE ANY OF THE TRAYS HIMSELF. NEEDS SORTING WITH IMPROVED TRAINING OR GET ANOTHER SECUIRTY CONTRACT SORTED PDQ.

Johnbernard123's Comment

Written on: 19/07/2017

Fully agree - rude and unhelpful at security. Airport has become too busy for its own good and I now avoid it twice per month

Read 1 Comment

“Wait on airplane ”

Written on: 13/02/2017 by heSalazar393 (1 review written)

Waited on the aircraft to be de-iced for an hour and a half. Watched them de-ice a plane that had boarded a long time after us! It took less than 5 minutes to do it!!!! They knew we were going to be delayed a long time but still boarded us for our hour and a half flight and made us wait onboard. The flight is shorter than our time on the runway!!!!!!!

“Terrible Customs Delay's”

Written on: 04/10/2016 by Andy1Traffic (1 review written)

Second time at this airport this year the situation was bad enough in the Summer .An Absolute nightmare getting through customs this time around : Landed at 13:30 3rd September 2016.. left us queuing next to the runway for 40 minutes luckily the sun was shining. This is Surely a breech of Health & Safety regulations ,planes being re-fuelled less than 150 meters away.The Infrastructure at airport is not good enough to accommodate the amount of flights landing from my observation there where was not enough staff on duty , the staff trying to pull the queues through where grumpy & rude and not very helpful ( Not there problem )probably because they where fed up of everyone moaning at them . the queuing system is an absolute JOKE ..The Management Team seriously need to get their heads out of Clouds and sort the problem out or there going to lose future business .

“Disabled unfriendly and poor cateringservice”

Written on: 11/09/2016

Travelled 17th Auguston Ryanair tO Carcassonne.Had to walk long way to terminal, then was walked long way for wheelchair. The woman ringing it was curt and unpleasant.When I tried to explain something she retorted "I know, I'm not stupid you know" Though I rrquested she take me to join my family in the Duty free she dumped me at the gate.I managed to get a cup of lukewarm un drinkable expensiver coffee saved by couldn't care less staff. The men who took me on to the plane were much better and that part was OK.Coming back was worse. I had to struggle down steps and board a bus. I had been told a wheelchair would be available to takeme through the airport. It was not. and someone went tofind one but he said it was not his job to wheel it.Someone eventually came and wheelde me as far as the luggage carousel. Another guy came to wheel me and get my luggage but as soon as he saw my family he walked off and left my familyto struggle with the luggage and my wheelchair.Never again. If you are disabled don 't even think of using this airport.Also, I had to walk to the other end of the car park as the friend who picked us up, being disabled could not find a spotm they were taken up by able bodies people.It cost £6 for 1/2 hour. disgraceful.Someone should take th staff in hand, they need a good makeover.

“a nightmare”

Written on: 27/07/2016 by Hackettsr81 (1 review written)

Second time at this airport this year , a nightmare getting through early in mornings, do they want us to arrive five hours before flights ,queuing for ages to book in ,then same at security check in.No time left to have anything to eat or look around shops etc. Will do any thing to avoid this airport in future .Infrastructure at airport not good enough for all the flights ,staff grumpy ,because they fed up of everyone moaning at them. Management need to get there heads out of sand and sort it out.

“Hate this dingy outdated AP never again ”

Written on: 16/07/2016 by Josiem335 (1 review written)

Hate this dingy outdated AP never again

“Not enough customer service during Download Festival...”

Written on: 24/06/2016 by vegmanbl56 (1 review written)

Poor customer consideration ring download festival week, total gridlock with people having to walk from M1 services to get to terminal. There has to be better planning to provide transportation to people who have paid many hundreds of pound for flights/holiday to find access to the terminal/car parks from any direction impossible. Took us 1 hour 20 minutes to travel 1 mile and only just made our flight because we left home early. Designated travel lanes must be sorted to ensure that not only travels reach their destination but also airport workers and flight crews get to where they are needed, awful experience never to be repeated got to be Birmingham airport for me as this situation would not be allowed to occur. Also awful entry and exit car parks anpr system, always going wrong and problems dealt with lethargic faceless staff at the end of an unanswered helpline button.

“Grim”

Written on: 11/08/2015 by urMilne229 (1 review written)

An unfriendly, grim, charmless box. It has almost as many columns holding up the ceiling as it does shops. All journeys through this sad little box are like a slalom course to a skier. When you come out of the low-ceilinged section gasping for air and desperate for a comfortable seat you are greeted by a white shed full of columns. Who the hell designed this place! Some rich plonker who never has to use it?

“Meet and Greet a joke !”

Written on: 02/06/2015 by scorchio45 (1 review written)

Nobody meets you and certainly nobody greets you. 10 minute queue to get through the barrier into the car park. Then 10 minute queue into the car park office where both departures and arrivals queue at the same desk. Staff pleasant enough but seem intent on chatting to every customer excessively when there is a queue of 15 people out of the door. Compare this to Birmingham where you bowl up, get our your car, unload your luggage and hand your key to the nice friendly gentleman then you are on your way. On return the same gentleman waiting patiently by your car with your key - now THATS "Meet and Greet"

“Avoid at all costs - fly from somewhere else. Anywhere...”

Written on: 27/05/2015 by AvrilJ (1 review written)

East Midlands used to be a pleasant airport from which to fly. Now it is simply awful - particularly the car park/departures area and drop off arrangements for anyone elderly and/or infirm but without a disabled sticker. I visited today with a friend who was travelling. I selected the short stay car park because I knew I would be longer helping him into Departures than the 10 minutes allowed in the PAY drop off zone (yes, they now charge to drop off - including the taxi drop off). The short stay car park was full so I had to drive around for a while. The bays in here are badly marked, the road markings have been painted, burnt off, re-painted, burnt off again and are still indistinct. There are barriers everywhere that look temporary. The whole area looks like a building site but has, in fact, been this way for over a year so this must be the finished article. I asked the on duty attendant for help and was grunted at. Clearly the man has a lot of unhappy travellers asking him for help - but he is in the wrong job. When I eventually found a space it was so far away from the entrance that the long stay car park and courtesy bus would have been a better option. It took a significant time to my get friend and his luggage into Departures and to get him settled. Departures was disgusting. Dirty, dull, very poorly lit and with no-where to sit and no-where to get a decent cup of coffee and sandwich whilst we waited for the luggage drop off to open - late. There is one food outlet, LEON, proudly broadcasting that it is a fast food joint. The food looked inedible and the drinks were of the machine and paper cup variety - but at china crockery, and sitting somewhere nice, prices. There used to be a fairly decent café here - of the Costa variety - serving coffee in proper cups and Paninis, Hot sandwiches etc. Gone. Replaced with a spicy kebab. Just what you want for breakfast/brunch! I overstayed in the car park by a few minutes which meant that my 65 minutes cost me £8.90. I had anticipated an hour at the advertised £3.70 but guessed it would be slightly more for the extra minutes. I drove around to the car park entrance check the car park prices because I didn't think that could possibly be correct - it was - the price rises to £7.40 for anything over 60 minutes and in much smaller writing there is a surcharge of £1.50 to exit using a credit card - but no signs for any other way of paying. By driving towards the entrance of the car park I then found myself unable to exit legally without driving through the car park and paying again! The way out was blocked off with temporary traffic cones that seem to have been there for months. I was not the only car with this predicament. We tried the security checkpoint for help - unmanned. We rang the 'help' button on the car park entry - no reply. We had no option but to drive the wrong way down one side of the entry road. If I could rate this airport less than one star for access; signposting; service; cleanliness and facilities I would. I have the choice of East Midlands or Birmingham for most of my own travelling. It is Birmingham from now of for me.

“Nice friendly airport- just what is wanted!!!”

Written on: 19/03/2015 by Loopyloo2k15 (1 review written)

Having read the reviews I felt it was unfair to dismiss this airport just because of the security proceedures (you would moan if something bad happened). I am glad I flew from this airport afterall, staff were friendly and very helpful and made a good start to my holiday. I love the way it feels like a free flow to every step and very well planned out. Good Work East Midlands Airport!!!

“ALWAYS WORKS GOING ON BUT NO IMPROVEMENT”

Written on: 02/03/2015 by walkersparadise (1 review written)

This place has issues with car park payment machines, exit and entry barriers and 3 years on no improvement. Landed tonight at East Midlands only to be delayed because the car park payment machine swallowed our taxi driver's money and wouldn't refund......this happened before some months ago and machines are not repaired or upgraded. Is this an East Midlands Airport rouse to make some easy cash? Also at 87 the taxi is parking further and further away from the terminal building due to the emhpasis being given to "Meet and Greet" which is quite expensive and obviously far more lucrative than standard car park fees so for those of us in our twilight years the walk is increasing to the taxi. Our nest holiday is from Manchester so we'll see if things are any better over there! East Midlands Airport has also abolished the information desk no doubt as a cost saving measure. This is not an airport for anyone looking for the basics in customer service.... a very tacky experience indeed.

“security is the achillies heel”

Written on: 08/02/2015 by kenandjill (1 review written)

Parking options are very good, the shops and restaurants are fine, but the security dept is not fit for purpose. The layout would be fine for herding cattle, but not paying customers. The process of checking the bags is so slow and the staff just don't show any urgency, so the queues are ridiculous.

Steve_E007's Response to kenandjill's Review

Written on: 19/02/2015

If you are unlucky enough to hit it at the wrong time - then yes the queues can get a bit long. Just be sure to leave yourself enough time. It is only usually just the one long queue, though (some airports have you queuing at check in, baggage drop off, security, passport control and sometime a second security area (e.g. Charles De Gaul and Frankfurt).. It is never that bad here) Apart from that the airport is compact and friendly. I quite like flying from here in preference to the more stressful and overcrowded Manchester, Birmingham and (heaven forbid) Heathrow!

Read 1 Comment

“5 min snow shuts runway!”

Written on: 31/01/2015 by Yamilet205 (1 review written)

Barely any snow now blue sky has shut runway for 2 hours at least, tens of staff walking around with high vis jackets doing very little. No information just a joke. No apparent effort or care, ashamed this is a UK airports

“Security could not care less”

Written on: 04/11/2014 by Ralph213 (1 review written)

Flew to Glasgow 28 October. No problem with flight. Going through security was awful. Kept waiting ages as only 2 channels open and the remainder closed. Staff completely uninterested in their jobs and it showed. East Midlands seems to be doing refurbishment work but not exactly advising on what is being done. This place is a mess and needs a good clear out ie. staff wise. Customers should be kept up to date with info. It is pretty obvious that this place caters for the budget end of the market so really does not care!