Mercedes Benz 500SE 5.0 V8 Reviews

Mercedes Benz 500SE 5.0 V8 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Mercedes Benz 500SE 5.0 V8

“The Best Mercedes”

written by Leenderd on 30/11/2017

We had a 560 SEL it was a perfect car, never gave us any problems, good performance for such a large car, fantastic build quality, we should never have sold it, so now we are buying another one just a 500SE

“worst car ever”

written by JB0491 on 03/12/2014

I purchased it new. The brakes failed in the first mile. In the first year the brakes failed many times. Engine problems, suspension failure, Transmission and so many other the first problem occurred in year. The most troublesome car I have ever had and also by far the most expensive. Mercedes were very difficult to deal with. Mercedes, From my experience it is rubbish!

“Mercedes w126 has personality ”

written by w126love on 15/09/2014

I own a Mercedes w126 500se with 440 000 kilos on the clock. Engine never been opened. Same goes for transmission and diff. Only big expense in 24 years was broken teeth on ring gear. Fully understandable for the mileage. It is a solid and very reliable car but in my opinion she dislikes town driving. She does it well but I can feel her smile when on the motorway. And go over 180kmph and she is as happy as can be. A lot faster than the average car on the road. 0 to 100kmph in about 8 seconds is not bad for a 24 year old 1800 kg tank. Feutures that some new cars don't even have. Electric seats. Electric double motion sunroof. Awesome power steering. Cruise control that actually can be used Un like many cars I drove. 3 rear courtesy interior lights. Electric steering adjustment. windows electric. Electronic child lock. Self leveling rear suspension allows for normal driving get hight even when pulling a caravan. Believe it or not but a very easy car to keep yourself busy with if you wish to refurb. I have done carpets. Re upholstery. Massive sound system was slightly challanging but very possible. Gas milage not for every day use..can easily fit 17" 255 45 tyres in front and even wider at back without shaving rubber against anything. Keep it OEM looks great..pimp it out and she still looks great but a complete different type of great. Abs brakes makes her stop real quick. But not exactly the gymcana type of car. The seats could be little stiffer but maybe after such high milage it's normal. Use pool noodles and you are sitting firmly again. Not part of my review but my personal preference. . OEM is great. But just not practical. We now listen to mp3 and cd so there goes the OEM Becker radio. Boom there... car is no longer standard but you can enjoy it so much more. Same goes for wheels. Upgrade to bigger and wider they love it. Upgrade the sound system. Upgrade the interior. Gosh. Go crazy unless you go 100% stock. My old lady has everything the new cars have and more. People who don't know what they originally looked like get in mine and cold swear it's a reasonably new car as it looks and drives modern. Just the wood is real wood. The dashboard is real. Everything about the w126 is real. Unlike new cars where plastic is taking care of destroying a nice luxury real ride. My w126 proved to me that they only get old if you allow them to. The choice is yours. But either way... don't ever let a w126 die. It's murder.. They truly have personality. They don't take you somewhere like other cars.. no... They rather go somewhere with you.. like a loyal friend. If you can feel my love for the 500se you should conclude my review.

“Unique car”

written by gustavomsosa on 29/04/2012

I have a 1986 model, 500SE. I am located in Argentina. The car run fast, top speed is 240km/h at 4500rpm. Hiigher speed than 140km/h make fuel consumption higher than 16liters/100km. The car goes fast and secure at the same time. The pleasure rinding the car is really unique. I use the car almost everyday.

“A wonderful automobile, but trying to find information...”

written by on 30/10/2009

A wonderful automobile, but trying to find information regarding the controls seems to be impossible. Trying to get information on a car that most people say doesn't exist is very frustrating.. I keep trying AND keep enjoying the MB. The gas mileage varies so much, ie: in-town vs highway that I've yet to resolve the problem. Nice, smooth 5L V8 warms my wife's heart and my mother-in-law loves the very presence and charm of such a nice ride. silverm

“Mercedes Benz 500SE 5.0 V8 are probably one of the...”

written by on 21/05/2009

Mercedes Benz 500SE 5.0 V8 are probably one of the best looking car I have ever seen. I wanted one when they were first built but could never afford one. I think these cruisers are a special breed, we are likely never to see again. I have two of them now and they are both a fabulous example of top class German engineering at it's best.

Memopad's Comment

Written on: 02/10/2009

I found this review not helpful because...there was no information actually given, just a brag about owning TWO.

“I have only owned my high-milage Mercedes Benz 500SE...”

written by mhsmith on 21/04/2009

I have only owned my high-milage Mercedes Benz 500SE 5.0 V8 example for a month or two but depite having travelled to the moon (238K), the V8 is lusty, smooth and clean.
The body is solidly built and reflects the car's ability and purpose.
The interior is comfortable but the seats are a little soft.
A true classic and destined for proper recognition in the future.

“The Mercedes Benz 500SE 5.0 V8 is comfortable,...”

written by NR01 on 01/02/2009

The Mercedes Benz 500SE 5.0 V8 is comfortable, energetic & has a great presence. Although it is difficult to find parts, rusts easy and is very expensive. Great Merc, Love owning one. Just such a nice rare vehicle, just wish I could find parts in the U.K. to keep it on the road.

“This car has stood the test of time and still stands...”

written by on 16/04/2008

This car has stood the test of time and still stands strong. It has been well built. I have had this car in our family for over 20+ years. The only major maintenance has been to replace the transmission only ONCE. Parts are getting pretty expensive now, but that's to be expected. Overall this has been a car well worth the purchase and have been able to enjoy driving this car knowing it is a safe car and a classic Mercedes.

“A fabulous "Drivers" car. Take your friends out and...”

written by senyszyn on 21/10/2007

A fabulous "Drivers" car. Take your friends out and enjoy. When you have one of these and are using it just for fun, you remember how much pleasure can be achieved from a car. Do it while you can, be seen as wicked and interesting and stop talking to your mates about mpg. Pay a neighbour a few quid now and then to keep it from the fiends and their keys (mine are very happy to have such a machine on their driveway). A roads are so smooth,click into sport mode and the V8 starts working properly-what a feeling! As for motorways,well all I can say is it dissolves them.Everyone should experience this once.Limit your mileage for ins. purposes,and used wisely becomes an absolute treat!Spend Fiesta money, keep for a year-service/tax/mot it enjoy the ferrocious power of the mid eighties company-directors car,then sell for the same price! telling the next lucky buyer to do the same.These are proper cars-keep the eurobox for shopping!

“The last of the really great Mercedes saloon cars,...”

written by roryphare on 22/12/2004

The last of the really great Mercedes saloon cars, built to uncompromising standards of luxury and quality. Powered by the almost unbreakable V8 engine with a vast automatic gearbox, the car easily powers to 155mph. Designed as an executive autobahn cruiser, these cars can be bought from upwards of an insane £500 for a tidy runner. Insurance is around the £150 mark for a 42 year old with no no claims bonus (including breakdown cover). Ideal for weekend cruising and going to shows, don't ever think of using it for the school run as I did when my van broke down: it laps fuel at an alarming rate! (15mpg). On a run however, the car can manage 32mpg at a steady 55mph so it is an acceptable cruiser.
In summary, if you want ultra reliability, luxury and acceleration on a par with an Aston martin DB7, for very little money: this could be the car for you!

Placey's Response to roryphare's Review

Written on: 08/11/2005

I echo all the review. Top car in so many ways if you can stomach 20 mpg [on a goodish day!]

Memopad's Response to roryphare's Review

Written on: 02/10/2009

I found this review helpful because.I am not getting that high of mileage 11 around town and 16 highway. Needless to say, I have some work to do. Just purchased the car..so still learning