Vauxhall Frontera LTD 2.2DTi Reviews

Vauxhall Frontera LTD 2.2DTi - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Vauxhall Frontera LTD 2.2DTi

“Best car I have owned”

written by Stafforddd135 on 01/01/2024

My 2004 Frontera is the best car that I have ever owned, could not fault it. Always reliable no matter the weather. Easy and cheap runner brilliant for all occasions. Highly recommended 4x4 for all that want a classic or daily drive.

“Read the reviews on this 4x4 and thought it would be a...”

written by monkdog on 22/04/2011

Read the reviews on this 4x4 and thought it would be a good purchase. How wrong could i be. I can honestly say in fifteen years of driving this is the worst car i have ever owned. I've owned 4x4's before and i know they're not built for speed but this was dangerously slow, at the first sign of any incline this beast used to give up, 15-20 miles an hour on a small incline, and that's if you were lucky, pathetic. Engine management light kept coming on if you got any where near 3000rpm and would then go into safe mode until you turned the engine off, so this caused even slower driving. Had two garages look at it and neither could find the problem. Petrol tank imploded so it read 1/4 full when it was actually empty. Had the electric window's fixed because they didn't work and within a couple of days they were dodgy again.
I could write an essay on the problems with this car and how bad a drive it was but i'll just say to anybody reading this ' Stay Clear Of Frontera's'. Absolute rubbish.

“had my Vauxhall Frontera LTD 2.2DTi (T reg ) for 2...”

written by on 22/04/2009

had my Vauxhall Frontera LTD 2.2DTi (T reg ) for 2 years now, great runner and sturdy, good on the motorway and urban.

“Since purchasing my Vauxhall Frontera 2000 model I can...”

written by stueyc on 05/07/2008

Since purchasing my Vauxhall Frontera 2000 model I can honestly say that I can find very little to say bad about it. Fuel economy is excellent motorway approx 41 mpg general urban approx 30mpg.

“Ride in the Vauxhall Frontera is a bit ponderous and...”

written by railway on 15/05/2008

Ride in the Vauxhall Frontera is a bit ponderous and sterring wobley other than that the space inside, fuel ecomoney from the diesel engine & tow capasity is very good. Would a buy another no there a bit out dated technical now.

“Currently on about 36k miles. Lovely to drive and...”

written by Wally27 on 11/01/2008

Currently on about 36k miles. Lovely to drive and looks great on the road. It also very good off road due to a Hi Lo transfer case. MPG is pretty good, 32-34 with stop start, 38-40 on the motorway. Relatively easy to maintain. My preference is the B model which was produced from 1998 on. We love ours (Long Wheel Base - LWB) and are looking for a Short Wheel Base (SWB).

“Overall a lovely car to drive.”

written by on 15/12/2007

Overall a lovely car to drive.

“The Vauxhall Frontera LTD 2.2DTi is a very good sturdy...”

written by aan1230 on 25/02/2007

The Vauxhall Frontera LTD 2.2DTi is a very good sturdy vehicle that you can feel safe in.

“My father has the same Vauxhall Frontera LTD 2.2DTi...”

written by mikeandbella on 30/10/2006

My father has the same Vauxhall Frontera LTD 2.2DTi 4x4 as me, which is a T reg Ltd 1998 like mine but his is manual without air con and has a radio and cassette player instead of CD. He's owned his from new for 8 years now and had it regularly maintained and serviced by a Vauxhall in Wales and now an Opel dealer in France throughout. I have had mine for 3 months. Both "Fronts" have done 100K each. My father having used his off road as a now retired farmer. The things he's had problems with was corroding ABS wiring, especially around the fuel tank area which was fixed under warranty, air flow meter failure for the turbo (£165), electric diesel pump failure circa £500 and that was before 80K. The other problems we have both had, together with each car, was complete instrument dial failure (would work only with lights on), which cost £365 total by Vauxhall to repair including part, air bag light coming on due to loose electrical connection to gas bottle seat belt retensioner. And computer problems (my dad's only).

We have found Goodrich A/T to be a good all season tyre with this car and delivers average mpg. My absolute personal view is that I wouldn't recommend buying one second hand from a dealer because they are usually mechanically sound buys which the warranty would cover but electrically they are a mine field waiting to blow a hole in your bank account with their niggly problems. I brought mine privately second hand for £3000 and spent £500 on it so far! The transmissions on them are hard wearing and can take some abuse without failing like some of the Jap rivals of its time.

So finally, if you're financially short of a few pennies for buying a new 4x4 with a family and don't know much about mechanics like me, buy one, they are great! If you're good at automotive electrician buy 2 Frontys, and finally if you're a good mechanic buy a Landrover cause parts are abundant everywhere and cheaper.
Thanks for reading this and letting me share a purely personal view and experience.

“I looked around a lot of 4x4's before purchasing the...”

written by GAZZI2K6 on 13/06/2006

I looked around a lot of 4x4's before purchasing the Vauxhall Frontera. Having 3 German Shephards, boot space was a big issue and the Frontera came out on top. The practicality of the car is brilliant and I take mine off road a lot. Some of the places it has got to have amazed me, it didn't even break a sweat. Compared with a Mark 1 Frontera that I had previously, I would say this is a completely different car. The steering wasn't floaty anymore and the seats were more comfortable and it has a softer, bubblier shape, which keeps it looking modern.

“I looked around a lot of 4x4`s before purchasing my...”

written by GAZZI2K6 on 13/06/2006

I looked around a lot of 4x4`s before purchasing my Frontera and having three German Shepherds, boot space was a big issue and the Frontera came out on top. The praticality of the car is brill and I take mine off road a lot, some of the places it has got to amazed me it didnt break a sweat. Compared to a Mark One Frontera that I had peviously I would say it is a completely different car. The steering wasn't floaty any more the seats are more comfortable and a more softer bubblier shape which keeps it looking modern.

“I purchased this Vauxhall Frontera as a replacement...”

written by rj in newcastle on 18/04/2006

I purchased this Vauxhall Frontera as a replacement for my Mondeo Ghia estate and I could not be happier with it. Bought second hand from a dealer with 128k on the clock, but with the engine still tight as a nut. Some initial problems the dealer had not sorted - knocking on the steering which turned out to be a steering rack failure but was sorted under warranty. Returning at top end 37 to the gallon which was better than I expected and much better than many in the same class - low 30's on urban cycle, but considering the size and weight of the car - a good result. Excellent driving position; a very safe feeling vehicle that the kids love. Top for towing too. Overall I would recommend but check out knocks before you buy. Don't let milage worry you either - these go on for ever and are a great drive. My first 4x4 and I would have another.

“I got my 2001 Vauxhall Frontera 2.2 DTi in Aug 2004...”

written by colin greenhow on 26/01/2006

I got my 2001 Vauxhall Frontera 2.2 DTi in Aug 2004 with 32000 miles. The car has now done 55,000 miles only problem being some thug breaking into it. I am self employed and the car works for its keep [very well]. Long may it last.

“Vauxhall Frontera LTD 2.2DTi ”

written by Roger B on 24/08/2005

Vauxhall Frontera LTD 2.2DTi

I've had my 2.2 DTI Ltd now for a little over 2 months, and I am well pleased with it. I have done 6000 miles up and down the M1, and the only failure has been the air flow meter (thankfully replaced by the dealer at £155 for a plastic tube). It's returning 35mpg, and cruises up and down the motorway easily, but is quite noisy, so I just crank the stereo up. There is bags of room for everything I require, and the bad reputation carried over from the early models is not justified for the later ones.

“I had a 2000 x reg Vauxhall Frontera LTD 2.2DTi. The...”

written by omac23 on 14/03/2005

I had a 2000 x reg Vauxhall Frontera LTD 2.2DTi. The injection pump packed in after 11,000 miles. My neighbour has a 2001 y reg his pump went after 50,000 miles, is this unusual? Thankfully mine was repaired under warranty the bill being £2400 I then got rid of mine.

“I admit this Vauxhall Frontera LTD 2.2DTi 4x4 was a...”

☆☆☆☆☆

written by Jon Milburn on 10/01/2005

I admit this Vauxhall Frontera LTD 2.2DTi 4x4 was a loan car - but the delight in getting rid of it after 3 weeks was immense - I read the review above, and had to comment.

It's so slow, it is honestly dangerous, 1970 design, vile inside - handles like a pig and looks like one.

If you part with your hard earned cash for one of these, you must be mad - try an L200 or a Nissan - at least they won't break down!

“I have always wanted a Fronterra and after 2 years I...”

written by xsoggyx on 28/11/2004

I have always wanted a Fronterra and after 2 years I decided to get one. I cant be more happy if I tried. My 2000 Vauxhall Frontera LTD 2.2DTi 4x4 model is superb with all the trimmings and yet no CD player which is bizzare but not a problem.

I am off to france this week to put the weigt to the test :-)

This is now an early merry xmas for me!