Fuji Finepix S5500 Reviews

Resolution 4.23
Optical Zoom 10
Battery Type Alkaline

Features:
  • 3.1-megapixel 4th generation SuperCCD HR sensor produces images with 6 million pixels (2816 x 2120)
  • 10x optical plus 2.2x digital zoom (22x total)
  • 1.5-inch LCD, electronic viewfinder, 5-frame burst mode, video at 320 x 240 and 30 fps
  • Includes 16 MB XD Picture Card
  • Powered by 4 AA batteries (alkalines included, rechargeables recommended); connects to PCs and Macs via USB 1.1
  • Refine your search

Showing star rating of:

(cancel refinement)

“Love this camera”

Written on: 17/11/2011

"Love this camera!" Does everything it says it will, and then some. Is somewhat pricey and bulky to use for someone who needs a camera seldomly but when you use this, photos turn out perfectly. Best to learn how to use all the features and also on how totaled great photo with an SLR. Look online for great deals or buy from your local camera store if they offer free lessons with your purchase… Read Full Review

“I'm an architect. Our office Fuji S5500 has incredibly...”

Written on: 30/03/2010 by Tr1xx (7 reviews written)

I'm an architect. Our office Fuji S5500 has incredibly now taken 18,000 shots since April 2005 and is still going strong. That means it's incredibly reliable and robust... it's had to be. It feels great, it has a great zoom. Photos generally are as good as you might expect. Switch-on and shutter lag delay times are OK for cameras of the era, but not as good as I would prefer. In auto mode it's quick and easy to use, but manual settings are fiddly and you'll forget how to use them if you don't… Read Full Review

Tr1Xx's Response to Tr1xx's Review

Written on: 16/11/2011

Update 16 Nov. 2011.
    We're now up to image number #21,150 in the six and a half years since it was first used . . . I didn't know they still made cameras that could last like this. The picture quality is still just as good too. Incidentally, (should have mentioned this before), I strongly recommend that you ALWAYS keep the lens hood in place. This has almost certainly been the main reason the camera has lasted so long. Pity that rechargeable batteries don't seem to last quite as well.

Tr1Xx's reply to Tr1Xx's Comment

Written on: 24/09/2013

It had to happen. After over 33000 photos our reliable old Fuji S5500 has given up the ghost. To be more precise, it is virtually unusable due to a minor breakage. the battery compartment door has a small lug that enages on the camera body; the lug has sheared off. If anyone can help, it could be put back into service, but otherwise it will be languishing in a drawer.

It has led a good life, and I never expected it to survive this long. I will miss it.

Read 2 Comments

“The Fuji Finepix S5500 is a great camera, versatile,...”

Written on: 19/03/2008 by Gwalion (1 review written)

The Fuji Finepix S5500 is a great camera, versatile, easy to use, acceptable shutter lag, good optics. It offers a range of working options from fully auto to shutter/apeture priority, 10X optical zoom, bracketing, movie option etc. enough to suit everyone from the happy snapper to the serious enthusiast. My only, very small, criticism is that the selection dial can move fairly easily and sometimes ends up unnoticed on a different setting to that expected. A lift then turn option would be… Read Full Review

Tr1Xx's Response to Gwalion's Review

Written on: 30/03/2010

I found this review helpful because... I also agree with the observation that the selection dial moves too easily.

Read 1 Comment

“What can i say. One hell of a camera i brought it Aug...”

Written on: 19/11/2006 by apoo4k8019 (1 review written)

What can i say. One hell of a camera i brought it Aug 06 and its the best i've had. I used to take photo's for a dog paper. So i needed a good camera got rid of my hp 5 mp and brought the 5500 Fuji. Fujis leave others standing for the money you wont buy better go and try before you buy. Mine was £145 in Aug 06… Read Full Review

“The Fuji Finpix S5500 is a great camera which gives...”

Written on: 14/05/2005 by RJay (1 review written)

The Fuji Finpix S5500 is a great camera which gives great results time and time again.

First of all it looks and feels like a 35mm SLR and also feels rugged with its rubber coating. A lot of thought has gone in to the design with its indents to accommodate your fingers and thumb making it easy and comfortable to hold and with all the buttons being sensibly placed for easy access.

It has a multitude of settings: Full automatic, program, program shift, shutter priority, aperture priority, full… Read Full Review

“I have given ten out of ten on the score board for the...”

Written on: 11/05/2005 by Templar vanboek (1 review written)

I have given ten out of ten on the score board for the Fuji Finepix S5500 due to the fact that my negative points are from my own lack of digital knowledge and I can't discredit the camera at all. It's a great buy and a whole lot of goodies in one bag. I feel frustrated due to the fact I'm a newbie to the digital scene so therefore I'm gonna lose out on some great features of the camera due to me not knowing what they do or where they are. I find it very funny I'm sure you will, especially the… Read Full Review

“I bought this superb camera as an upgrade from my Sony...”

Written on: 15/04/2005 by andymillikin (12 reviews written)

I bought this superb camera as an upgrade from my Sony DSC P10 because I wanted more control of my camera's settings and a greater zoom. The S5500 was a bargain - I simply looked up the cheapest prices online and took them into the leading UK chain of camera shops. They obligingly matched the prices so I picked the S5500 up for £216 and a 512mb XD Card for £39.
    So far so good.

The Pros:

I have just returned from holiday in NZ and have taken about 4,000 pictures with it. Some of them are… Read Full Review

Andymillikin's Response to andymillikin's Review

Written on: 30/11/2006

The Fuji Finepix S5500 digital camera is now being sold in John Lewis stores for £112. It's a steal at that price.

Read 1 Comment

“I am an old SLR user who recently changed over to a...”

Written on: 07/12/2004 by mark K (1 review written)

I am an old SLR user who recently changed over to a basic Kodak digital camera and liked the format so much I decided to upgrade to the Fuji Finepix S5500 and am I glad I did.
    This is an excellent amateur photographer's camera in the right price bracket.
    The Quality is outstanding and I am very happy with my new camera… Read Full Review

“OK... I committed a cardinal sin, I bought my camera...”

Written on: 01/12/2004 by maverick1on1 (3 reviews written)

OK... I committed a cardinal sin, I bought my camera off QVC UK ... and what a great bargain I got. At only £299 for the camera pack, plus a Leather Carry Case, an extra 128MB Xd Card and a Fuji Euro Fast Charger & 4 Rechargeable Batteries, it puts the so called Specialist Camera dealers to shame... and I'm well chuffed with this mighty little camera.

Straight out the box I was snapping away, with great results, which improved when I started to read the User Manuel (bet you've been there… Read Full Review

Damig's Response to maverick1on1's Review

Written on: 20/12/2004

Thanks "maverick1on1", a good review of a good camera, just a couple of things; if you want cheap original fuji xd picture cards, get them from www.ebuyer.com, they sell a 128 fujifilm card for less than £20 and free delivery. Also this camera costs just £223 from them! I think this is the best camera for that kind of money, and it certainly looks the part!

208026_Cheapredwine's Response to maverick1on1's Review

Written on: 28/08/2005

Excellent camera. You can now get for £178 from Pixmania, or, very close to that from other on-line retailers, or, for £260 the camera, 512mb memory card, recharbable batteries with charger + USB memory card reader (which saves time and hassle).
    <br>
    <br>Very pleased with pictures, even against higher pixal cameras.

Maverick1On1's Response to maverick1on1's Review

Written on: 10/01/2005

UPDATE ON xD Card......
    <br>
    <br>Personally I found the 128MB card very easy to fill up ....... once you get use to all the settings on the camera, you find that you start taking photos of almost everything (much to the annoyance of some!).
    <br>
    <br>As the camera takes great pictures, I found I was hardly deleting any at all, so I bit the bullet and went for a 512MB card ......... and guess how much .......... no where near the listed price of £179.99 from the Fuji website, but £43.89 DELIVERED from ......... ebuyer.com [thanks damig].
    <br>
    <br>The price I paid seems quite high, compared to the likes of Dab's, Ebuyer, etc ......... but when you add in all the extras that I ended up getting in my package, it works out a lot cheaper ............ especially with the Charger unit that I got, which not only works abroad on dual voltages, as well as having a Car Charger lead, but also has a feature, to DISCHARGE the batteries, allowing a full charge, ever so often, which makes the batteries last longer.
    <br>
    <br>All in all, I am still very chuffed with my S5500 ........ only problem I have had though, is other people trying to borrow it, to use themselves ........ hence my buying another one for the wife! ............. and they say it 'Boy's & their toy's'!!!
    <br>
    <br>My next venture with this little beauty is Night Photography ........... and trying out a few Lens Filters ........ here's a tip, if your getting Camera Shake on long exposures ........ get a Tripod, I just picked up a Brand New one, off the ubiquitous Ebay for a £10, delivered (I love my bargains!) ......... so once I've tried my hand at these two projects, I may just post my findings back here.
    <br>
    <br>Enjoy ............. I know I am.
    <br>P.S.
    <br>
    <br>Thank you for your comments, kenwood33 my old English teacher would be very happy to hear them, giving how poorly I did at this subject!

Kenwood33's Response to maverick1on1's Review

Written on: 08/01/2005

What an excellent review and well written it was too! I have a Fuji 5500 and it is brilliant and I also have a Fuji 602Z which is the preceding model and although I was extremely pleased with this one my wife has now got her hands on it and I have bought the Fuji 5500 instead! To be fair I can not make one comment that is bad about this little camera what so ever.

Read 4 Comments