Shetland Sheepdog (Sheltie) Reviews

Shetland Sheepdog (Sheltie) - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Shetland Sheepdog (Sheltie)

Shetland Sheepdog (Sheltie)
Shetland Sheepdog (Sheltie)

“Owning a Sheltie”

Written on: 02/10/2011

I really advise that potential owners do their homework on the breeder they are considering buying from. We checked out a number of breeders on line, followed up by phone. requested photo's of both parents. Living conditions, and recommendations from other owners. If the breeder is of worth, they will provide this information without question. This must be followed by visits to the home/kennels of the potential puppies. The behavior of the dog is often resulting from over-breeding, inbreeding… Read Full Review

“A JOY TO OWN”

Written on: 14/07/2011 by FrankMahovlich (1 review written)

We got our blue merle male at a year and a half old from a breeder who was showing him but didn't want to breed him because of his shyness. He was more of a possession to her than a pet... and never socialized properly. I have worked with him extensively... training him was a breeze. Getting him over his shyness has been slow... but with patience... we are all enjoying the results. He will never be as outgoing and friendly from the get go as a lab or a golden... but on the other hand... his… Read Full Review

Mschaad's Response to FrankMahovlich's Review

Written on: 02/03/2014

do you find they shed alot? i have heard these dogs are active---are they constantly active or do they relax in the house?? i have had very active terriers and want a more relaxed dog

Frankmahovlich's Response to FrankMahovlich's Review

Written on: 02/03/2014

We find that weekly brush keeps the shedding down a lot. I suppose individual dogs can be different...he can chill out in the house very well...but a knock on the door will get him spinning and barking. I also make sure he gets at least an hour a day walking...split into two shifts...that helps keep him relaxed and less active in the house. We also have a fenced in yard that helps get him outside. Hope it works out for you.

Read 2 Comments

“I was put off puppies for a very long time because of...”

Written on: 29/04/2010 by emmamalakian (40 reviews written)

I was put off puppies for a very long time because of a couple of bad puppies I had met over the years. I had rescued dogs but never had a puppy of my own until I met Alaska. I was suppost to be getting a pug but my boyfriend had talked me into looking at shetland puppies, I knew they where cute but wasnt sure if I wanted such active dog.
I went to the breeders house to meet Alaska who was 4 weeks old, she was beautiful and so calm. (all pups are at that age) So I put money on her and waited… Read Full Review

Mschaad's Response to emmamalakian's Review

Written on: 02/03/2014

interested to know, have had active terriers before. do you still think the sheltie is too active of a dog to have a relaxed home enivrionment?

Mschaad's Response to emmamalakian's Review

Written on: 02/03/2014

do you consider this kind of dog to be too overactive to enjoy---?? i want a dog who is active for playtime but can also relax by your side???

Read 2 Comments

“They are a great pet, you must never allow barking and...”

Written on: 16/07/2008

They are a great pet, you must never allow barking and chasing or it totally gets out of hand (I know from experience!) But, such a wonderful friend that its ok!… Read Full Review

“I did notice someone mentioning Shetland Sheepdog nip...”

Written on: 08/04/2008 by ellie102 (1 review written)

I did notice someone mentioning Shetland Sheepdog nip and don't mix with children and don't like sudden movements?! They are a sheep dog they shouldn't be nervous of sudden movements otherwise they couldn't work with sheep! So this is obviously a training issue as is the nipping most likely as it is highly unusual.
They make great pets because of their size and amiable temperament, they can be noisy sometimes and do need reasonable exercise (a walk round the block 2x a day will not cut it).
But… Read Full Review

“We had sheltie 20 years ago which was brought up with...”

Written on: 29/01/2008

We had sheltie 20 years ago which was brought up with our 2 children and fitted this combination was a joy to see. She went everywhere with us and was always so happy to be near us. We now have a 10 month old Sheltie pup, who adores being with our young grandchildren, and also loves people in general and other dogs. She is tremendously interested in everything around her and is a joy to watch when we are out and about. Her main aim in life is to please us. If you have plenty of time and… Read Full Review

“I love my two tricolour Shetland Sheepdogs, and I...”

Written on: 20/09/2007 by merlin2bonnie (1 review written)

I love my two tricolour Shetland Sheepdogs, and I wouldn't swap them for the world. They are a beautiful, intelligent, easily trained, full of their own individual characters and a true pleasure to own. They need an average amount of exercise, as they are not as energetic as larger Collies, and their coat needs to be looked after to prevent knots, so getting them used to being groomed as puppies is a must, as you will be spending extra time at moulting on the coat. My two love the mud and not… Read Full Review

“Shetland Sheepdog - I've had 2 Shelties they both were...”

Written on: 18/10/2004 by ally1 (5 reviews written)

Shetland Sheepdog - I've had 2 Shelties they both were the sweetest, funniest dogs ever. if you are considering getting one then do. Sadly our 1st died of epilepsy, but the breed isn't generally succeptible to that disease… Read Full Review