Paris, Charles de Gaulle Airport Reviews

0.9
  • Customer service

• Overall cleanliness

Paris, Charles de Gaulle Airport - Ask a question now

“Not following Covid-19 rulesH”

written by Reese297 on 08/08/2020

There is no check at all by employees. People not wearing masks, hanging over people they don't know. Sitting too close to strangers. Airco is on but probably on warm because it is awful hot. Most toilets closed. No soap, no toilet paper. When not following other Covid-19 rules, no need to close almost all toilets.

“Awful beyond belief!”

written by xbBlack317 on 02/03/2018

Poor signage. Air France misdirected me FOUR times, from terminal to terminal. Three counter had people screaming at the customer service people; in two cases, police were called. Missed connection. Stood for more than an hour trying to make a new connection, only to have the staff person put on her coat and walk away in the middle, with no apology, as her shift was over. They lost my luggage. If it wasn't for a very nice man from Jet Airways, I might still be. Bathrooms were filthy. I will do everything I can to avoid this airport again.

“Awful airport with inefficient, nasty French people”

written by zeStrickland458 on 01/01/2018

I can't say enough terrible things about this awful place. We landed here with 2:45 until our next flight. More than enough, right? Guess again. We landed in a field in the middle of nowhere, and were put on a bus. Apparently there were only a few buses, so all 350+ people on our massive aircraft for an intercontinental flight were offloaded ~20 at a time. It took over 30 minutes just to get on a bus. Next, we drive for 6 minutes only to merge in a traffic jam inside the airport. I could've walked to the terminal from there in 15 minutes, but we were forced to sit inside the bus for the next HOUR moving a few meters every minute until we were finally at the terminal entrance. There, we saw that we had to go through customs again, and the line was literally snaked around the terminal building. There wasn't an airport person in sight to manage anything, so there were plenty of rude/stupid people who cut in line. What are you going to do? Scream at them and be removed from the airport? Over 3 hours later, we were finally at our departure gate. Thank god our plane was delayed or we would've missed our second intercontinental flight. Our way back was no better. Our incoming flight was delayed, and while we didn't have to offload into a bus in a field somewhere this time, we did have to go through customs again. At the place where you put your stuff into a bin onto the belt, there was an extremely rude guy barking at people. Just a total jerk. When I told him I didn't appreciate being barked at, he purposely moved my wife's bin into the "extra check required" lane and we ended up waiting 30 minutes for her back to be checked. The people at the end of that lane were equal jerks, with the bags just sitting there (!) while they nothing. One lady was about to miss her flight and was pleading with them to just grab her bag and check it, but they ignored her and just laughed. On to the shops. You know how in the US, if you're standing in a shop, someone will smile at you and welcome you? How if you are standing in front of something that someone needs, they will smile and say "sorry, could you please move just a bit for me" or something like that? Well, not here. Shop personnel will ignore you. They will literally invade your personal space to place an item on a shelf behind you. I guess asking "excuse me please" is too much to ask, eh? Do not fly through this third world dump. There's nothing here but arrogant French people, who somehow think their incompetent and pathetic airport is world-class and gives them the power to belittle you and treat you like dirt.

Veronicafarrelly-Sztyblewsky's Comment

Written on: 03/10/2020

Wow, good thing I didn't land here and actually landed at Orly instead.

“Horrible for transferring local to transatlantic”

written by Beverlz on 27/12/2017

If you are travelling back to North America and use a local European airline to get to a major city first, DO NOT get a flight that you have to transfer through Paris CDG. If you are flying to a city in Europe where you can't fly direct, same applies - do not go through Paris. It is a nightmare trying to figure out how to get to your terminal on the other side of the airport. Two shuttles and one train, lots of walking. Two times uniformed airport people gave me wrong directions. The signs are non-existent - no help at all. My luggage got lost too.

“Chaotic, unhelpful and rude”

written by DutchGirl101 on 04/09/2017

Because the boarding of my incoming flight from Washington Dulles started late and took way too long, this plane was delayed by over an hour, giving me less than an hour to catch my connecting flight to Amsterdam. After being held back in the plane and not allowed off for another twenty minutes, I was in quite a panic when I finally arrived at customs. Because of my Dutch European Union Passport; I was directed to the automatic Custom check, but the line was hardly moving and I soon figured out why: only one automatic gate was functioning properly. When I asked what I was supposed to do (boarding had already started), I was told in very poor English that "I should have gotten in the right line", thus blaming me for being directed the wrong way. When I started protesting (and some other passengers with me), security was called and we were being contained by five angry, poor English shouting men. Thanks to the people waiting in the "right" line, I finally cleared customs, but was then pointed in the wrong direction to the gate, which means I had to run all the way back. At the right gate, I was told that all my running was unnecessary; With more than half the passengers boarding late, my flight wasn't going anywhere anytime soon. Why didn't anyone tell me I didn't need to hurry? All in all, I thought the people at Paris Charles de Gaulle were very rude and should at least all take a class or two in English. It's an international airport, they can't expect every traveller to speak fluent French!

“took my wedding ring at security checkpoint”

written by CallieChoate on 23/03/2016

First, they made me, a diasabled traveler, switch lines so a flight crew could go in front of me. Then, they took my wedding ring out of the tray as it went through the xray machine. Then, nobody cares to help me find it. Guess its a scheme and all of "security" is involved.

“complete lack of customer service”

written by peMaurer252 on 04/12/2015

Its a busy Friday night i have waited half an hour already to get through passport control and at least have same again why have 20 desks and 4 open? Same coming in next time will let the train take the strain. Management shame on you! Cant comment on shops and restaurants no time!

“Horrendous airport and customer service”

written by Frequentflier24 on 27/11/2014

After being guided to the wrong terminal we missed our flight by 5 minutes. They refused to open the door even though boarding started earlier than it should have. Then they had the audacity to charge us a fee to get a new flight. After the desk attendant and manager laughed at us in French we got a new flight without the fee. The most confusing and dysfunctional airport and I would never ever recommend it to anyone. I know for a fact that I will never fly through there ever again. ***And as an added note, they lost our luggage and sent them to the wrong airport. It has been three days and we still have not heard anything on the whereabouts of our luggage.***

Jackparis's Response to Frequentflier24's Review

Written on: 22/07/2016

Yes, worst airport in the world, they just don't get it. Heed the above traveler's advice.....Just went through there mid July 2016, this is the normal story you hear from seasoned travelers

If you travel through Charles de Gaulle Airport, the above traveler's experience will be yours, no kidding. You need a minimum of 2-3 hours between flights to traverse and get through the long lines of passport control if you want to make a connection. If you booked a legal connection of one hour, good luck, and be prepared to be lectured by local airline customer service personnel who don't care at all.

The airport is filthy with garbage everywhere, signage (regardless of language) is very confusing, and gate numbers are scattered through an endless maze as an after thought.

As stated, Air France (Horrible) had to rebook due to missed connections, and bags arrived after 3 days then the others 4 days. Internet tracking was wrong as Air france lost visability on the incorrect rerouted scaning codes. We had to track down and find the bags.

“Abandoned In Our Paris Hotel”

written by 104Wallace on 05/08/2014

Arriving in Paris, out Shuttledirect driver was waiting for us. A pleasant chap who delivered us to our hotel. However, on the morning of our pick-up, despite a reminder call to the shuttledirect office, no-one turned up at our pick-up time! We waited & waited......40 minutes late the car turned up, but the driver said he couldn't take us because "You haven't paid!" We showed him our receipt, but to no avail! With our wives in tears, we asked the concierge to call another cab. Phew! Thankfully it turned up, and despite being charged a lot extra, we arrived at Charles De Gaulle airport 45 minutes before our flight was due to leave! We made it by the skin of our teeth..DESPITE SHUTTLEDIRECT! When we got home we contacted Shuttledirect who apologised for the "misunderstanding" and refunded us for half of our original outlay. NEVER AGAIN....MY ADVICE......USE ANYONE EXCEPT SHUTTLEDIRECT!

“Welcome to the only third world airport in Europe!...”

written by on 03/08/2010

Welcome to the only third world airport in Europe! Charles de Gaulle airport is gloomy and filled with homeless people in the public areas. Most bathrooms are filthy and the ground aren't much better. The organization is a complete mess. I'm French and I have a hard time finding my way around it. I can only imagine how foreigners might fare! I cannot believe we pay huge airport fees as part of our tickets for the privilege of struggling in airports like this one. Avoid CDG like the plague, London and Amsterdam combined with low-cost European airlines will get you where you need to go, even in provincial France, under much better conditons.

“I was VERY discusted, Charles De Gaulle was like a...”

written by on 09/04/2010

I was VERY discusted, Charles De Gaulle was like a night mare! I was traveling with my grandma and little brother from Atlanta to Paris, we came from Cleveland and were supposed to get on a flight from Paris to our home country of Serbia. We flew on Delta, which was ok on take off, but as soon as our plane touched down, trouble began.... the flight attendants were American, and they were ok. (friendly) We first got put onto a bus, and had no idea where we were going, we de-planed the aircraft on the tarmac. There were a couple buses, we just hopped onto one. My brother's stroller and all these other people's strollers were missing. So after the bus ride (10 minutes), I had to go to the bathroom... we could not find it. Oh well, I held it in. We were traveling with some other friends also going to Serbia. So we are TOTALLY confused, my grandma is asking the french "JAT Airways to Beograd, what gate?" they screamed: "BONJOUR! BONJOUR!" over and over again, like they wanted us to say it to them. They were so mean. So then this one french man pushed us into a gate, but it was a JAL flight headed toward Beijing i believe... now what the heck! We finally found our plane which we almost missed, even thought we had a good amount of hours... right before we did, my grandma asked to police. they started screaming at us, and took our their GUNS!!! OH MY GOSH! When we got to Serbia, it took us about a week until we got my brothers stroller. It was HORRIBLE. On the way back, we knew which way to go. NO ONE would help us, and i could not go to the bathroom... haha anyways... this was HORRIBLE. our Travel Agent's here in Ohio are now advising NO ONE to fly through Paris.

“The worst airport I ever flew from. Queues, ugly...”

written by on 27/03/2010

The worst airport I ever flew from. Queues, ugly buldings, no shops. Have flown from terminal 2 (too small and crowded, old), and terminal 1 (queued complexively for 2 hours). In all cases the flights had to be delayed because the passengers could not reach their flight. That is the main problem, CDG is chaos for departing flights. Living in Brussels I will always choose Brussels Airport in future (or Antwerp, maybe).

“Charles de Gaulle airport is extremely confusing....”

written by rantati7 on 29/11/2008

Charles de Gaulle airport is extremely confusing. First of all this airport does not follow the logic applied in nearly all other airport around the world (Moscow is another exception). At Terminal 2 the six separate buildings are labeled so that C follows A, D follows B etc. Arrivals and departures are on same level at each terminal which confuses one even more. When you think you're in departures, the signs say arrivals. And you are still in the right place. If you need to change planes, it's best to check your luggage only one leg at a time. i.e. if you leave e.g. from Rome, check your luggage only to CDG. Then collect your luggage and take it yourself to your next flight. Otherwise you may not see you luggage for days. CDG ha left my luggage behind now four times. And I've only changed planes there five time in total! Confusing, dirty, crowded, rude staff - you name it, Charles de Gaulle has it all. In my opinion this is the absolute worst airport in all of Europe, Northern America and Asia-Pacific.

“Facilities seem totally inadequate for a major...”

written by on 08/06/2008

Facilities seem totally inadequate for a major airport, and apart from treviso (Ryanair's airport for Venice) it is the worst that i have ever encountered.

“At Paris Airport the security staff were aggressive to...”

written by cfldanderson on 14/09/2007

At Paris Airport the security staff were aggressive to me. I was with 2 children and a grumpy looking security guy gestured rudely to my gold bracelet. I couldn't get my bracelet off with the other free hand as it requires help. I asked if it was necessary as I simply could not do it and the guy became extremely unpleasant, talking to me in French, and then really putting me through the mill. I had to take my shoes off (not an issue for me ever, I prefer safe planes) but then he called over a female and told her in French I was a problem and they then subjected me to a search. Several members of security surrounded me and glared at me. The kids were very frightened. This rudeness and aggression should not be allowed, especially towards a mother with 2 kids. I willingly cooperate with all security and I was not rude. I would never travel to Paris again, unless 150% necessary!

“Paris Airport is the worst airport ever. They did not...”

written by savithari on 31/05/2006

Paris Airport is the worst airport ever. They did not even care about me and my infant child. Baggage accepted as carry-on in Atlanta was treated as check-in only. Even the stroller was asked to be checked in. I have no idea why. Sometimes I wonder if these folks even have a BRAIN.

They don't even have the courtesy to speak a little English. I am so sorry that Delta has tied up with these people.

It would be worth paying a little more to via the Germany airport.

“Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris is something to...”

written by gotaluvme on 01/05/2006

Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris is something to completely avoid. My wife and I had no idea how bad an airport could be until we had connecting flights here in April 2006. I think they should call this airport "Spaghetti" because of how everything moves here. It is anything but a streamlined and efficient way to get people from place to place.

Our transatlantic flight landed and taxied it seemed for 15 minutes after going round half the airport and buildings there. It seems that all the flights are parked here there and everywhere where a space can be found. We were herded into a fleet of buses from there. Instead of an express ride to a terminal on the bus, we were exhausted by the stop and start driving around the airport for another 3 miles. We must have stopped 20 times, and even had to wait for planes crossing the road.

Finally we reached a terminal building, only to find little there but confusing signs and poorly designed information screens about connecting flights. Our connecting flight was in a different terminal, which must be reached by taking yet another bus ride around the airport.

The confusing nature of the airport continued as we tried to decipher where we were supposed to go to catch our next plane. Numbers and signs pointing up and down and left and right were completely ridiculous. Fortunately, an older French couple warned us not to stand in one line because it was a chartered flight line. The French couple said the airport was absolutely confusing, even to the French, and none of the other French airports were so poorly thought out. We went to another line where the woman told us we were wrong to be in as well, but looked at our tickets examining information on her sheet 10 times over front and back, then pointed to where she thought we were to go. This was all in the space of 30 feet.

The terminal building looked unsafe, and I was worried more of the ceiling would collapse. There is a huge expanse of concrete above most of this terminal area, which had some soft of wire or string holding parts of it up. I noticed 2-4 people doing almost every job there with the exception of the bathroom attendant. One woman came in to clean both bathrooms while travelers were using them.

Our return flight through Charles De Gaulle was even worse. We were made sick by having to run from plane to plane, jump into special vans to shorten the trip by about 40 minutes from the plane to the terminal, but still had to run a half mile or more, go through 2 separate security checks and deal with an unhelpful bus driver. The inefficiency of this airport, it's layout and design is very very poor!

Don't use this airport unless you have to, and if you have a connecting flight, you'll need at least 2 hours preferably 3 hours to find your way to and from your aeroplanes.

“When the French Authorities decided to create Charles...”

written by kHAFJI on 05/11/2004

When the French Authorities decided to create Charles de Gaulle airport, the practicalities of the air traveller were relegated to an after-thought, and at the sacrifice of what is referred to as Gallic flair. How many new international airports do you know about where you have to transfer by bus between the terminals, and have to wait 45 minutes for the pleasure? How many new airports do you know about where the roof is totally made of glass and there is insufficient air conditioning or ventilation to keep the temperature bearable. How many airports do you know about where checking facilities are restricted to one desk and on the pretext of security? How many airports do you know about where the shops and restaurants open when at least a dozen flights have already boarded or left! - Welcome to Paris - welcome to airport hell!!

“Charles de Gaulles is a most foul airport. I flew in...”

written by dorsetlass on 03/11/2004

Charles de Gaulles is a most foul airport. I flew in from LHR over the Half term holiday, and was met with a dirty, badly run airport, so typical! It never changes.

The staff are rude and unfriendly.
The staff member at the RATP desk just shrugged his shoulders when I asked for a Paris Visite ticket.

In contrast the Roissy Bus service from the airport was fast and comfortable.

On return to CDG for flight home, we found it difficult to find check in. It was discovered EVENTUALLY after passport control!

Cafe staff rude and abrupt. Very little choice of food or drink, and what there was was expensive.

Once through into departures, you have to ask the security staff nicely if you may go back through security to visit the conveniences! (some security that is!)

All in all, not a place I want to use again if I can help it