Heathrow Airport Reviews

• Overall cleanliness

Heathrow Airport - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Heathrow Airport

Heathrow Airport

“Rude, arrogant security staff en masse”

Written on: 28/09/2016 by Freeliving (1 review written)

Have been flying for years but my last three trips via heathrow T4 have been disgusting. I have no problem with ensuring safety but the level of security is extreme. Security staff are rude and arrogant, they seem to enjoy causing maximum upset. I set off the detector and then was forced to endure an embarassing and invasive "pat down" which was more like a grope in front of my young children and on my most recent trip it was even worse. My 9 year old son got "pinged". i expected them to just get him to go through again but no they insisted he needed a pat down or go through the body scanner. I explained that i was not happy about either as we had had an issue with a paedophile and that. Was exhausted having just spent a month caring for my mum and sick father and eager to get back to my other children. There was no compassion or empathy just cold behaviour. We were marched off to a private room as iif we were criminals. Then they tried to get me to sign a consent form which i was unhappy about as i did not consent and i made a note of my not consent other than under duress upon which I was threatened to be denied boarding and the police despite having done nothing wrong. I asked for an independent witness in the form of my husband and brother on the phone but was told i could not and my request for lwgal representation to seek advice was also denied. There were three very tall and intimidating men in the room and i felt very uncomfortable trying to protect my young son. He was given a pat down and drug swabbed his shoes. It seems that you are picked at random not because of any evidence. I felt humiliated and my entire flight was terrible as I was having panic attacks the whole time. My son was very withdrawn. It was a traumatic eerience that has left me dreading heathrow again. There was a time when getting to the airport was an exciting part of travel but certainly not anymore. It is disgusting behabiour that has no place in a civilised society!!! BULLIES is the only word i can use to describe these men who shpuld be ashamed of themselves for what they did. Reminder - we pay your wages if we don't fly you have no job...............

Flarenitus's Response to Freeliving's Review

Written on: 26/10/2016

(I am in no way affilited with the Airport)

I understand your concerns about Security and "targeting" you. But there is no such reason or way to do so. The Walk Through METAL Detector either detects metal or randomly alarms due to regulations requiring it to do so. It is the regulations of Aviation/The Airport which require that if you do alarm, that a search is mandatory and the agents which perform the search are happy with you to proceed into the critical part, otherwise access can and will be denied.

EVERYBODY gets the same treatment regardless of who they are due to the nature of the transport. Yes it is an inconvenience but it can and will happen at any other airport in the UK due to DFT/CAA regulations stating that it must happen. There are valid reasons behind the search procedures and if you don't fully appreciate what security are doing, then I suggest you don't fly in future.

Read 1 Comment

“Avoid Terminal 5 If You Have Limited Mobility”

Written on: 03/07/2015 by Monical (1 review written)

Having limited mobility, and only able to walk very slowly, and painfully, with the aid of two crutches, we arrived at Terminal 5, (Mid morning - Thursday 18th June)and pressed the outside button for those who require assistance. We were told that somebody would be with us in 5 minutes. This never happened. Half an hour later, and despite a further 3/4 presses on the bell, still nothing. We were told each time that either somebody would be coming, or that somebody was on their way. Eventually, as time was passing by quickly, and we needed to catch the flight, I slowly hobbled to the desk where this lack of service was 'co-ordinated'. The only explanation given by the sole person at the desk for this lack of service was that neither he, nor the woman pushing the wheelchair, knew where the various numbered locations were around the airport! They didn't seem very busy at the desk, especially when compared to the excellent service we receive at Gatwick, with only one other passenger visible. Eventually I was taken in a chair, to the relevant Gate for the flight, but had to painfully & slowly walk the remaining, not inconsiderable distance, to board the aircraft. Although allowed to set off before other passengers, in order that I could get to her seat before fellow passengers, this wasn’t possible, as I was soon overtaken by others on the way, due to my very slow walking speed. Arrival back at Terminal 5 wasn't much better, again with some delay, finally being 'dumped' at baggage reclaim, although we had none to collect, and that was it! From there to the area where the taxi could pick us up, was a further long walk. We’ve filled in an on-line feedback questionnaire/complaints form, and in that it asks if you would like somebody from Heathrow to get back to discuss the problem, but needless to say, nobody has got back to me on this matter. Terminal 5? Never again. Service at Gatwick is far superior.

“Heathrow Ops NOT responsible for making you miss your...”

Written on: 19/04/2015 by WorldCitizenJeff (1 review written)

Heathrow Airport Operations provided a jetway to my arriving flight (OS455 on 18 Apr) that was so poor it could not be used. The passengers had to deplane from the rear of the aircraft, down stairs, and into buses. Despite arriving LHR on time, we did not get into T2 for 30 minutes. In turn, this delay prevented me from reaching my connecting flight (BA183 at C57 in T5) and I was forced to stay overnight in London. Heathrow Airport Operations refuses to take any responsibility for this situation, and wants me to pay for my own hotel, meals and transfers. They even refused to meet with me to discuss it: instead, they sent me to Security.(!) Do they have no shame? Why must I bear the cost for their poor equipment and poor customer management? I am a frequent flyer and top-level elite traveler in the frequent flyer programs of two different airlines (one North American, one European), so I am aware of what constitutes a reimbursable problem.

“Heathrow Terminal 5 is awful”

Written on: 26/06/2014 by shieldsman (4 reviews written)

We used Heathrow Terminal 5 last October to travel to USA and again 3 weeks ago thinking that the October experience was a 'one off'. The return experience to our next flight was terrible, both times - it was delayed, and being tired out after travelling from the USA we found the T5 experience just awful. It was packed with people going to and fro in every direction. We had difficulty finding two seats together and then they were uncomfortable and in a crowded area. Whilst we appreciate good security we think that T5 is way, way 'over the top' It was much easier and quicker for us to go through Security in the 'security paranoid' USA than to get through T5. Why is there so much photographing every time and the twisting 'sheep pens' are an insult to humanity as we got herded along. I have promised myself that I will NEVER AGAIN use Heathrow Airport on my travels - I have had enough.

“Infuriating Delays.”

Written on: 27/04/2014 by Sierratango (1 review written)

Friday 25th April 2014 Flight BA0663 from Cyprus Larnaca airport. Despite a late departure from Larnaca the flight arrived at terminal 5 on schedule at 22.20. As a somewhat regular flyer I am used to experiencing delays when several flights dock at the same time, however it was enough to make mine and several other passengers blood boil to watch the border agency staff at passport control dwindle down from eight persons to three, which included the closure of the fast track E passport desks, as the queue of of many hundreds possibly 1000 travel weary passengers grew and I finally passed through after queuing for 45 minutes. The second and equally frustrating event was to be informed at the baggage collection area of further delays in unloading our bags which resulted in my being in a position to find transport home at 12.15. Shame on the border agency management and equally to the baggage handling management of terminal 5.

“my experience was terrible.”

Written on: 07/11/2013

I was detained for right around 10 hours on my flight into England, and denied entry into the country. I worked a job for 8 months to travel to the U.K. to visit my sister and a few other loved ones, and to travel to see some very close friends. Instead, I was held for 10 hours with very little information on what was going to happen to me, and the only time frame of "bit of string" to go by, meaning whenever they got around to bothering with me. After this long wait, they told me that even though they believed I was sincere, and even though I had done nothing at all wrong, they were still sending me back home after nearly a year of planning because, essentially, they could. There was one kind person there, who helped me and explained the situation as best as he could, but one kind person doesn't change 10 hours of stress, anxiety, panic, and eventually the crushing realization that I had wasted an entire year of planning this trip for nothing. I was granted temporary entry for a few days, and will be sent back home soon after. I would not recommend this airport to anyone, and would in fact strongly recommend against it if asked.

“Heathrow is a sham!”

Written on: 08/07/2013

I am promising myself to never again travel through this airport again. I have always hated this airport but I have chosen it this time because it was 50 euros cheaper for this journey than through Amsterdam. Never again! Had to take 2 buses to transfer from T 1 to T 5, just to go through endless corridors, escalators for going up and down several times, que an extra time in addition to the usual security and immigration ques, only to be treated by security as if we were just cattle passing through. Had to take off my shoes and submit myself to a body search, which does not happen to me in any other airport, for them to find nothing. Finally, to then be shouted at by one of the staff at security for not understanding his question, who then called security when i protested against being spoken to in a rude manner. Never again!

“lousy and greedy”

Written on: 26/05/2013

In Terminal 1 they are now back to a baggage delivery times of 45 minutes or more. And they force your pick-up car away from the drop off area outside the terminal and into the car park which adds another 5 Pounds to your cost and at least another 20 min to your journey. What a lousy and greedy shithole.

“Most confusing airport !!”

Written on: 19/05/2013

First time flying into Heathrow and hopefully the last !!! BA assured me I had enough time on my 1 hour connection time - told me I would arrive at one gate and depart from the next, well .. wrong !! What a zoo ! And try to find someone to assist us, not impressed with British Airways or Heathrow.

“Where is tthe information desk”

Written on: 06/03/2013 by miranuras (1 review written)

BAA boss gets 900.000 a year and in heathrow they closed Airport Information desks for money cuts! If you have any proiblem in the terminal you have to find out yourself. Thanks to BAA

“Security overkill at Heathrow”

Written on: 11/10/2012

Had the full body frisk and problem with my shoes. Same ones I've worn through every other airport with no dramas. In the meantime myniPhone and iPad got lost/misplaced as it took so long to do the check I couldn't retrieve them. Finally got them, but staff less than helpful. So they then did the full check of my cabin baggage. And no free wifi anywhere in Terminal 3, expensive foods and limited seating. Writing this at HongKong airport- quite a contrast. As a British citizen living in Australia, Heathrow was a disappointment.

“Wow ”

Written on: 30/09/2012 by ToddStorm (1 review written)

First time at Heathrow. What a Dump! I can't believe they got through the Olympics, those poor souls that had to queue up at every corner. I'll never fly though there again. Makes us sad. we would like to go to London sometime. They lost our bags and had no answers for us except they would be delivered 2 days later in France. One star for the airport employees that were very kind to the hundreds of people that weren't going to make their flight and they let them cut the line. Do have to say that in the US the TSA aren't so nice!

“Terminal 5 is ok, as long as you're in a premium cabin”

Written on: 27/06/2012 by zaraklein (1 review written)

I spent 6 hours in transit at Heathrow Airport this week, most of that time I was in Terminal 5 waiting for my connection to Madrid. I must say the airport looks amazing but if you look closely there are almost NO facilities for economy passengers. There is very little seating and lots of bars and restaurants. I was in BA Club World so I had a whole floor of comfy sofas etc. The wierd thing is all the shopping is really high.end (prada, Harrods etc), but all the premium class passengers just go straight to the lounge. Surely there should be more "high street" type products..

“to avoid”

Written on: 03/02/2012 by giannastik (1 review written)

Employees rudes and not professional. The controls are stupidly meticolous. Personnel seems to be trained to unplease travellers. The combination with BA is even worse. Prices too high for a poor quality. The airport is not comfortable at all.

“Went through terminal 3, used Servisair VIP lounge....”

Written on: 13/03/2011

Went through terminal 3, used Servisair VIP lounge. STAY AWAY IT IS NOT WORTH THE MONEY...no where to sit, all foods pre packed, all hot drinks out of a machine, couldn't find any newspapers, quite dirty, packed with people with not enough chairs to go around..... really dissappointed as used VIP lounge in Gatwick Airport last June and it was amazing.

“We were victims of Heathrow airport during the...”

Written on: 10/01/2011

We were victims of Heathrow airport during the "blizzard" of 18th/19th December, 2010. Very badly organised both on the minimal snow clearing they needed to do and how they made no attempt to help their customers during the ensuing confusion. I have NEVER in my life felt so ashamed to be British. The attitude of BAA both corporate and individuals was horrendous. They appear to forget that we are their customers and that they should treat us with respect. I wish Heathrow did not have such a monopoly of scheduled flights here in the south-east. I MUCH prefer Gatwick airport. Why do I have to give them any rating at all? They rank zero as far as I am concerned.

“I have to agree with the Pope's entourage- Heathrow T3...”

Written on: 14/10/2010

I have to agree with the Pope's entourage- Heathrow T3 is like an airport of a poorly funded developing nation.
It makes me very ashamed to be a Brit. Singapore has 18m people a year (world's busiest airport) pass through it, but always looks clean and inviting. Heathrow looks filthy, disorganised.
Travelling with a baby in arms is horrendous. Do the staff get sadistic pleasure from making life tougher? Unpack all your bags, get everything out (EVERYTHING) leave stroller closed and then tut while you hold baby, try to unfold stroller and pack everything away into hand luggage...oh and open the baby food (which is no longer useable).
Well I guess they did stop the conveyor belt while I panicked trying to repack everything and not drop my baby.

“We left from T3, 8am and it was very busy. We queued...”

Written on: 23/04/2010 by myederts2 (6 reviews written)

We left from T3, 8am and it was very busy. We queued through security and then had to queue for a newspaper, sandwich etc. When we returned to T3 four weeks later at 6pm it was still very busy. Cases took quite a while to come through - ours were last of course! The part that really upset me were the state of the ladies toilets. They were dirty, driers etc not working, lack of soap and smelly overflowing bins. Heathrow airport does not offer a good welcome to overseas visitors. After being in Singapore airport 14 hours before I wonder, if they can do it...why can't we?

“Am embarrassment for any civilised country, only the...”

Written on: 25/11/2009

Am embarrassment for any civilised country, only the French at CDG airport seem to made made travelling more unpleasant that the British.Luggage took 3/4 hour to arrive, and they were not even embarrassed to say that is was due to lack of equipment/ transfer to Republic of Ireland flight, it's like walking through a 1/2 mile porticabin loo. The toilets, paper on floor ( not clean paper but will spare you details) had to go to three different sites to find a loo that you could use without catching something.
Going to a gate ( eg 27a terminal 1) took 40 minutes, because of cross traffic passengers and opening and closing of corridor doors.
My advice chose your flights not by price but by avoiding Heathrow transfer any place else in europe ( excluding Paris cdg which is even worse Heathrow)

“This review is specifically about Heathrow Terminal 5. ”

Written on: 20/08/2009 by glenc (319 reviews written)

This review is specifically about Heathrow Terminal 5.

It looks lovely, very light, very bright and apparently the shops are great.

Howver, the day we arrived a fairly important item wasn't working - the machines that take your bags to the planes.

So, we had a 3 hour wait whilst no customers were being checked in because the bags couldn't be taken.

Then we finally got on our flight with 1 minute to spare rather stressed and exhausted, only to find out that when we arrived at Geneva only 4 bags for the entire flight had been loaded. So we had a 48 hour wait for our bags to catch up with us, during which time we had to go shopping in Chamonix for the very basics like underwear and toothbrushes.

Not good terminal 5!