Merville Beach Hotel Reviews

Merville Beach Hotel - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Merville Beach Hotel

Merville Beach Hotel

“we travelled as a group of seven. we arrived early...”

Written on: 09/09/2010 by disney05lover (1 review written)

we travelled as a group of seven. we arrived early morning and were greeted with fruit drink. check in was easy and we were shown to our room. The beach location is superb as are the watersports. SOME staff are very friendly. We had the garden bungalows. They are nice but not deluxe and could do with a refurb.
The walk to Grand Baie is ok in the daylight but would not recommend it at night as no footpaths and no lighting!
My friend and i didnt like some of the food but they were happy to cook… Read Full Review

“We reached Merville beach at midnight and still my...”

Written on: 26/02/2009 by Mercure louisemary (1 review written)

We reached Merville beach at midnight and still my husband and I received a warm welcome. As for security great one, tired as we were we forgot to lock our room door and was imediately notified about it. room was clean, beach too. we had the best honeymoon ever I will definitely recommend Merville Beach for couples who needs to relax, specially after the rush of a wedding preparation! the food was quite good. I mainly appreciated breakfast. Dinner was not always good though… Read Full Review

“Had a wonderful time and would visit again if I had...”

Written on: 24/06/2008 by simpsonmi69 (1 review written)

Had a wonderful time and would visit again if I had the money. It was a wonderful place to get married… Read Full Review

Willebee's Response to 376645_simpsonmi69's Review

Written on: 20/08/2008

Not sufficient detail to influence my opinion.

Read 1 Comment

“Definitely would not go back on HB basis but room was...”

Written on: 24/03/2008

Definitely would not go back on HB basis but room was clean with plentiful regular supply of good towels both beach and room. Beach was well maintained ( no broken glass ). Watersports facilities were good. Choosing the deluxe room which was the best location with great ocean view made the nicest part of the holiday allowing us be independent from the masses. Buffets were O.K. (Table D'hote were the nights to go out of the hotel). Room unavailable on arrival at 1200 hrs after 24hr trip from… Read Full Review

“Very good value for money, the garden rooms are the...”

Written on: 28/06/2007 by elenav (1 review written)

Very good value for money, the garden rooms are the nicest, we stayed in the private bungalows and for the money they where a little worn… Read Full Review

“Great 25th Anniversary. Great place for holiday. Will...”

Written on: 28/03/2007 by Zelda Ellis (1 review written)

Great 25th Anniversary. Great place for holiday. Will definitely be returning to Mauritius in the very near future… Read Full Review

“We were married at the Merville Beach Hotel in October...”

Written on: 20/01/2007 by ruthp (1 review written)

We were married at the Merville Beach Hotel in October last year. We were so impressed by the standard of service we received from the staff. Catherine, the wedding coordinator, was just fabulous. She worked very hard to make sure that our day went smoothly and without problems. We were given several options for the wedding location, either on the beach, a garden or a courtyard area. We opted for the Courtyard, with a lovely pond, complete with water feature, a bridge and three beautiful white… Read Full Review

Pierre Delport's Response to ruthp's Review

Written on: 24/01/2007

Hi ruthp
<br/>I just want to confirm. Did you get married on the 9th of October 2007? We were also at Merville and have a photo of you and your guests boarding the Game Fisher 4 for the trip around the bay. If you can send us your e-mail address via the Review Centre forum, we can forward you the photo if you are interested.

Pierre Delport's Response to ruthp's Review

Written on: 31/01/2007

Hi Ruth
<br/>
<br/>Unfortunately I do not have have any photos of you boarding the speed boat, but I do have a short video clip of you and your husband dancing on the night of your wedding. I only took this on my normal digital camera and not on my video camera, which is of a lower resolution. The song the band was playing was "I just called to say I love you".
<br/>
<br/>The video clip is 49 seconds long and 13.5Mb big. I should be able to mail this to you if your emails can be that big. Please contact me on the Review Centre forum so that you can get my email address.
<br/>Kind regards
<br/>Pierre

Ruthp's Response to ruthp's Review

Written on: 30/01/2007

Hi Pierre,
<br/>Thank you so much for posting a response to my review. My wedding was on the 10th October 2006 at the Merville Beach, so sadly the photo you took of the wedding party (on the 9/10) boarding the speed boat was not my wedding party.
<br/>
<br/>I think I remember the couple in question though. The bride was a petite blond lady if I remember right?
<br/>
<br/>Thank you again for such a kind offer.
<br/>Kind regards
<br/>Ruth

Read 3 Comments

“The only thing stopping this hotel becoming four stars...”

Written on: 16/11/2006 by harve (4 reviews written)

The only thing stopping this hotel becoming four stars instead of three is the dated, tired decor in the bedrooms. Everything else was excellent! The grounds, the beach, food, and other facilities were all excellent. The staff at the Merville beach Hotel in Mauritius need a special mention for outstanding customer service. Nothing was too much trouble for them, and they always did everything with a smile.

The town of Grand Baie was pretty dull and disappointing. A trip to Isle de Coco was… Read Full Review

“After previously thinking the Caribbean was our choice...”

Written on: 08/08/2006 by nigealex (3 reviews written)

After previously thinking the Caribbean was our choice destination, we have now been seduced by the Indian Ocean and the Merville Beach Hotel in Mauritius. The sea, beaches, locals, resort and weather were all perfect. The best vacation ever.

The only thing I would ask to improve a wonderful holiday is that they make the evening meal a la carte. Breakfast and lunch was great, but the set menu or buffet in the evening was not as high a standard.

It is worth the long haul because they take such… Read Full Review

“If anyone is considering being married at the Merville...”

Written on: 31/07/2006 by LisaCurrie (1 review written)

If anyone is considering being married at the Merville Beach Hotel in Mauritius, then go for it! It was a dream come true! I recommend the Gala Dinner at a small extra charge, as the food was A La Carte and you can choose from Seafood, Meat or Vegetarian and it takes all night to eat all the courses… Read Full Review

“I read a review on here saying that there were a lot...”

Written on: 15/03/2006 by matty187 (1 review written)

I read a review on here saying that there were a lot of Children at Merville. However we didn't see a single child while we stayed. Merville was a complete paradise! Not only were the sights amazing, but the service, food, and location were simply perfect. I have even booked to return very shortly.

Some people may find it a little expensive, but I can assure you it is worth every penny!… Read Full Review

Disney05Lover's Response to 234125_matty187's Review

Written on: 09/09/2010

I have to agree with you regarding children, we have just returned and we saw two child both very well behaved.

Read 1 Comment

“Well, the Merville Beach Hotel guests tend to ruin it...”

Written on: 02/02/2006 by espen (2 reviews written)

Well, the Merville Beach Hotel guests tend to ruin it all. Cocky, rich arrogant people who disturb the peace and otherwise so tranquil mood. Too many guests for my liking. There were lots of kids at Merville running around and screaming, too. And that's quite annoying. If you REALLY want to relax I suggest a hotel with less guests in it, like the Legends hotel a few miles away. It's the same hotel chain as the Merville.
Spending your honeymoon there is to my mind quite tacky and embarrasing… Read Full Review

“WOW! We arrived at the Merville Beach by taxi into the...”

Written on: 30/01/2006 by Stinkypeteandlittlemiss (1 review written)

WOW! We arrived at the Merville Beach by taxi into the open plan reception area where we were greeted by drinks whilst we booked in. Our room was the superior room which was well worth the little extra cash. We took the all inclusive honeymoon package and would well recommend going fully inclusive simply because it was great eating and drinking as much as we wanted, when ever we wanted and having a bill for 0.00 rupees!
The staff were second to none and most had learnt our names within 24 hours… Read Full Review

Disney05Lover's Response to Stinkypeteandlittlemiss's Review

Written on: 09/09/2010

we used the taxi for the day and sadly it was a lot dearer than 150 rupees.We paid 3000 rupees and it was 1500 return just to port louis. I

Read 1 Comment

“Spent twelve days at the Merville Beach hotel with my...”

Written on: 30/01/2006 by espen (2 reviews written)

Spent twelve days at the Merville Beach hotel with my girlfriend. The hotel is great if you're over 60, but I'd recommend you going somewhere else if you're up for partying! The evening band sucks, same boring slow dance-tunes every night. The food was good though, I recommend half board. There's a beach house where you can do all sorts of water sports included in the hotel price. If you just want to chill under a palmtree, I suggest you take a walk west along the coast where you'll find nicer… Read Full Review

Stinkypeteandlittlemiss's Response to espen's Review

Written on: 01/02/2006

The brochures state that it is a hotel for relaxing not partying, there are other hotels for that.
Also, my wife and I, as honeymooners (the huge bed was great), got up late, around 11ish and there were always sun loungers available. The guests were all relaxed and I can't imagine anything more peaceful. The staff are wonderful, the hotel clean and luxouriously presented and was great. You obviously had a bad experience!
Don't go there if you have active/noisy kids or want to party as this is not the right resort as there is nothing available for you. People who go here want to relax, sunbathe, eat well and enjoy a slow and peaceful time on the beach.
Excursions are available that are designed to either relax you further or get your heart pumping. The hotel gym is well equipped and worth a visit, even if only once in the whole stay.
Highly recommended for those who are busy all year and just need some time to themselves to recover and recharge (especially after the stresses of getting married/moving house/changing job or like me, all 3!!).
Well recommended!!

Espen's Response to espen's Review

Written on: 02/02/2006

Well, the guests tend to ruin it all. Cocky, rich arrogant people who disturb the peace and otherwise so tranquil mood. Too many guests for my liking. There were lots of kids at Merville running around and screaming, too. And that´s quite annoying. If you REALLY want to relax I suggest a hotel with less guests in it, like the Legends hotel a few miles away. check out www.naiade.com, it´s the same hotel chain as the Merville.
Spending your honeymoon there is to my mind quite tacky and embarrassing. Unless you dig eating dinner while the band and 200 people are singing along to "Congratulations, and celebrations, I want the world to know how happy I can be".. Brr, what a sad sad moment..

Read 2 Comments

“After booking our honeymoon at The Merville Beach...”

Written on: 28/10/2005 by gary roebuck (1 review written)

After booking our honeymoon at The Merville Beach Hotel in Mauritius, my wife and I were unsure of what to expect. The first moment we arrived in the hotel we knew it was the right choice. The welcome said all we needed to know. This continued right through until we left at the end of our best two weeks away ever!!!! We spent the honeymoon in the first bungalow with breath taking views. The room itself was fantastic, being kept to a high standard of cleanliness. One thing I will say, is that if… Read Full Review

“We arrived as newlyweds at the Merville Beach on 21st...”

Written on: 31/08/2005 by jennyp (1 review written)

We arrived as newlyweds at the Merville Beach on 21st June 2005, to be met with a cold drink and a refreshing towel. From there things just got better as we were upgraded to a superior room with a fantastic view of the Indian Ocean and the lovely tropical gardens - plus the biggest bed I'd ever seen!

The beach is amazing, plenty of sun loungers to go around and the option for having a fresh beach towel each day. there is a safe area for swimmers (we saw lots of tropical fish here) and plenty… Read Full Review

“My husband and I went on honeymoon to Merville Beach...”

Written on: 21/07/2005 by jrvincent (1 review written)

My husband and I went on honeymoon to Merville Beach Hotel and had a fabulous time. On arrival at the hotel we had a great reception with an explanation of facilities and services. We stayed in the main building (standard room) and had a gorgeous view of the beach and pool. Our room was very clean and well presented. When we arrived it was decorated with petals and we had a fruit basket, wine and t-shirts as we were on honeymoon. The staff at the hotel were all very friendly and couldn't do… Read Full Review

“We came to Mauritius in June for our honeymoon for a...”

Written on: 12/07/2005 by amcl (1 review written)

We came to Mauritius in June for our honeymoon for a total of 9 days. This is perfect for honeymooners, retired couples, and romantic getaways. Not in my opinion suitable for children as there are no activities for them. Beautiful beaches which were almost empty. There are lots of tours/trips on offer. We went firstly to IL de coco which was just fabulous. It's what you would call the more luxurious trip. We went on a catamaran trip which was very exciting and the island we went to was… Read Full Review

“We were met at the reception of the Merville Beach...”

Written on: 24/06/2005 by quattro05265 (1 review written)

We were met at the reception of the Merville Beach Hotel with a welcoming drink by the friendly hotel staff and after signing in were shown our accommodation which was in a chalet block of three. The accommodation was tidy and had been decorated with flowers by the room maids who serviced the rooms twice a day. The bar is well manned by the waiters who show you to your table and bring your choice from a wide range of local drinks, the local beer is particularly good. The meals in the restaurant… Read Full Review

“We went to the Merville Beach for our honeymoon and we...”

Written on: 23/05/2005 by KarenWood (2 reviews written)

We went to the Merville Beach for our honeymoon and we were not disappointed. From the start of our holiday until the end - every day was perfect.
The friendly staff in the Hotel added to our enjoyment - nothing was too much trouble for them.
Although our bedroom was basic - it was very clean.
We were very sad to leave this wonderful Hotel - and indeed Mauritius… Read Full Review