Bosch CSB 550 RE Reviews

Bosch CSB 550 RE - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Bosch CSB 550 RE

Bosch CSB 550 RE

“Lasted me 25 years so far. Just changing the brushes...”

Written on: 15/04/2020 by DustyFogg (1 review written)

Lasted me 25 years so far. Just changing the brushes now, but really do need a schematic diagram of the wiring system!

“Had my CSB550RE for about four years. I just do...”

Written on: 28/10/2010 by peterbrennan (1 review written)

Had my CSB550RE for about four years. I just do around the house stuff and have found it to be very reliable. However, mine has a keyless chuck (the net shows some, particularly American models, do not) and I need to replace it. It has got a bit close to the work a few too many times and seems it is ready to collapse. The outer casing itself seems a bit flimsy and I have been concerned about this for a while. I am seriously considering replacing the chuck with a keyed one. I feel you can't go passed a big chunk of steel if you want longevity! Cheers. Peter, Australia.

“My CSB550RE has finally passed on after 20+ years of a...”

Written on: 11/08/2009

My CSB550RE has finally passed on after 20+ years of a mix of DIY and trade use. I can not vault it on value for money after that period of time. It only lost it's fifth star due to the chuck occasionally 'sticking' and a chocolate (plastic) depth gauge which didn't last the first month. First class in every other respect considering its price point. I used for everything.

“A good advert for Bosch. I wish modern Bosch tools...”

Written on: 01/10/2005 by Frasier (2 reviews written)

A good advert for Bosch. I wish modern Bosch tools were just as good.I've had this drill for nearly 20 years. I've abused it. There is a review here that says theirs didn't last. I've used this for tasks way over its spec since it was the cheapest drill in the Bosch range that has all the top of the range features I needed (reverse, variable speed & hammer). It drills 15-20mm in steel and any kind of masonry. It only lets me down where I can't use muscle when I resort to a DeWalt SDS which makes light work of anything but costs £350. Every year I expect this baby to burn out but it's still going. Its a very fair tool. It cost be £30 20 years ago.

“I bought this Bosch CSB 550 RE power drill about three...”

Written on: 17/10/2003 by Richard (1 review written)

I bought this Bosch CSB 550 RE power drill about three years ago thinking that buying a brand like Bosch would be worth it in the long run.

It has a hammer action and variable speed (but no torque control).

The depth gauge on the drill was handy but this eventually broke. The chuck tended to jam up periodically but would unfree eventually after an oiling and some (sometimes not so) gentle persuasion.

but I haven't really ever given it much hard use until I recently used a carbide impregnated attachment to clean up a stone floor.

I guess I should have known better because half way through the job, the motor started to run slowly and sparks could be seen through the grilles in the casing.

Thinking the brushes had gone, I got myself some new ones, only to discover this did not solve the problem. Upon closer inspection, I could see that some of the lacquered wiring on the central rotor had actually burned out.

I'll certainly think twice before purchasing Bosch again.
(PS Does anybody know whether it is worth repairing the drill with a replacement rotor - I hate seeing things thrown away).

Archie2's Response to Richard's Review

Written on: 10/08/2005

I purchased a Bosch CSB 550 Re from B&Q, after 18 months and very litle use that is DIY work the amature segments disintergrateed with sparks flying everywhere, aproached my local B&Q but was told they could not help as it was outside the 12 months guarantee period they told me best thing to do was to write to Bosch at the address that came with the drill this I did and to this day I have never received an acknowledgement of my letter.

Eltj's Response to Richard's Review

Written on: 11/09/2009

To all concerned, a drill worth £39-50 will not do any more than help you put up a shelf or two to keep the wife happy. If you want to attempt the jobs that most people employ a professional to do then by a professional tool. A similar tool for a professional would cost £200+. As a professional though i would'nt even think about using my valuable £200+ drill to clean my floor!... so give that some thought :) Use the right tool for the right job.

Jos's Response to Richard's Review

Written on: 29/04/2006

I'm currently looking for a replacement speed control as mine seems to have burned out - It started with an annoying habit of working in the upward direction but stopping when horizontal or downward. It's been a good drill for 15 odd years - although not overly used. Particularly good at slow speeds through steel.

Read 3 Comments