Sony Ericsson F500i Reviews

• Reception

• Style

Sony Ericsson F500i - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Sony Ericsson F500i

“If you're looking for a first phone or just a simple...”

written by XpudgieX on 04/08/2007

If you're looking for a first phone or just a simple long lasting one for business, then look no further! I've had this phone for almost 3 years now, so it's really strong. Most phones mess up in about 2 months!

“This phone is great - until it wears out. The...”

written by huggyg on 22/03/2007

This phone is great - until it wears out. The joystick wears out easily - leaving you clicking it many times before it responds. Also, the phone crashes frequently after about a year of use. I found my battery wore out very quickly and soon found I had to buy more. Now though, it is completely dead and my search for a good phone restarts - hopefully with Bluetooth!

“Well, I've had this phone for about 3 years. It's been...”

written by beingbex on 26/10/2006

Well, I've had this phone for about 3 years. It's been battered, bruised and left out in the vegetable patch for 3 weeks during the winter, and it still hasn't broken down on me.

The Sony Ericsson F500i is a very reliable mobile phone.

“Well, the Sony Ericsson F500i is totally awesome cause...”

written by weekelly on 30/08/2006

Well, the Sony Ericsson F500i is totally awesome cause we love the phone cause we can take pictures of our self and send them to everyone in the world! The camera is sometimes a wee bit doggy but I really like the phone. Everyone should get one and you can send pics to everyone in the world.

“I would recommend this Sony Ericsson F500i phone to...”

written by Markybhoy on 15/08/2006

I would recommend this Sony Ericsson F500i phone to anyone who isn't too bothered about great camera quality. Great for the money and people couldn't believe that it only cost £59.99. Good reception any where, ease of use( simple menus), good features for a cheap phone. Try finding a better looking phone, so feature-packed for this price.

“I bought the Sony Ericsson F500i as a backup to my...”

written by SANTUARY on 07/07/2006

I bought the Sony Ericsson F500i as a backup to my v3RAZR but after a week I kicked the moto to the kerb - This mobile phone converted me from a Moto freak to a crazy Sony freak!

“When I bought the Sony Ericsson F500i mobile phone I...”

written by khalil219 on 03/12/2005

When I bought the Sony Ericsson F500i mobile phone I knew that it would be so cool, but when I started using it, it was better then I expected.

It had infrared, polyphonic tones, and even real tones.

so to anyone who is going to get this phone; I am sure they would like it.

“If you ask me, the Sony Ericsson F500i mobile phone is...”

written by ericsson on 30/07/2005

If you ask me, the Sony Ericsson F500i mobile phone is well cool! Some people complain because it doesn't have Bluetooth, or that the camera quality isn't as good as expected. Well what do you expect from a phone? A high-tech Digital Camera, or an up-to-date MP3 player with loads of memory? If your buying it for the camera, don't buy a phone, buy a camera instead! This phone absolutely rocks!

“I bought this phone as a backup to my Nokia 6230, the...”

written by mancsteveuk on 16/05/2005

I bought this phone as a backup to my Nokia 6230, the first backup I bought was a Motorola smartphone, that messed up after a week and so I replaced it with this Sony Ericsson F500i, I thought that at this price (£60) I couldn't go wrong, I wasn't disappointed! This phone works really well, it does just about every function you can imagine, the camera is pretty good quality, the midi (polyphonic) ringtones are stunning, loud and clear.

The keypad is a little too cramped and if you sms/email a lot the hard to push buttons could become tiresome. Unlike my Nokia 6230 this amazing little phone is able to send your photos to email addresses, not using mms but by using the email function in the messaging menu at a fraction of the cost of mms.

The screen although good and clear does lack resolution and colour, compared to other phones the screen looks faded and washy but this isn't too bad and can easily be lived with.

If you want a phone that looks good (except the back), works very well and is packed full of features and functions you cant go wrong with this little beauty!

“I bought a Sony Ericsson F500i 3 days ago in an O2...”

written by jrogan03 on 07/04/2005

I bought a Sony Ericsson F500i 3 days ago in an O2 shop in Glasgow I paid £89.00 for it, when I got home I charged it and stored everything in it, I also went through all the features there are hundreds, this is an excellent phone for the value of money.
(P.S Argos is doing this phone for £79.95)

“Well, I bought this phone at ebay for less than 180$,...”

written by rammm on 22/12/2004

Well, I bought this phone at ebay for less than 180$, and I must say that it's really much more than I was expected for it, when I take it on my hand, I was impressed for its size, it's really small and light, and the screen is big and clear, (most of the SMS can be read without down the scroll).
The menu is very easy to use, and looks great with the preinstalled themes (I've removed the Vodafone's theme), the functions are exactly where they must, you may find all you need in a few clicks. Also, the phone comes with an initial configurator, and has many help trough it and trough the menu system.
Sony Ericsson have a wap and MMS configurator in its website for many countries, I just receive the phone, minutes later I was sending pictures to friends and mails. (My other phone doesn't have that).
Camera works well, pics have realy great resolution, but just in good light conditions, at night (even with night mode on) pics appears with little color dots, the phones have enough space for the pics and videos, and for 1000 contacts.
I'm not a great gamer but the games on this phone seems to work well, fast load and great image.
The only thing I don't like so much, is that the phone feels a little weak, the blue paint it's easy scratchy, and I'm really scared if the phone falls.

“The F500i is the Vodaphone specific version of the...”

written by krik81 on 05/10/2004

The F500i is the Vodaphone specific version of the K500i, the only difference is some Vodafone branding and that the Vodafone Live service is pre-installed.

I had read some great things about this little phone, its gaming performance and camera quality swung the deal for me.
First thing I noticed was how amazingly small and light it is, there is a lot crammed in there. Second was how elegant and easy to use the interface is, I thought Nokia's couldn't be beat but the F500's menu system is wonderful to use, and very fast.

The 2 things that people will be after this phone for are its multimedia and gaming features:
As well as Java 2.0, this phone is one of the very few that currently features a 3D engine. It's not as powerful as the N-gage, but the included Super Real 3D tennis is a fine game to show off to your friends. New games are easily uploaded using Irda or USB, and another rare (but very useful) gaming feature this phone includes is a screen re-sizer. Choose 5 preset resolutions, or create your own, to help get the many different screen sizes games are set for working on that lovely large screen.
The joystick is also very handy too. The java benchmarking tool Jbenchmark 1.0 gives this phone a score of 3600, very impressive, especially considering that the much more expensive K700i scores less (and last years T610 gets a lowly 600). All games I've tried so far run smooth as silk.
Those after a phone that can keep boredom at bay are well served by this little fella.

Likewise, those after a cameraphone could do a lot worse. It can often be a shock for people to upload their pics to the computer and see low-quality, sub-postcard sized pics. No problem on this one, its standard resolution is an impressive 640x480, which can be interpolated to a whopping 1280x960. Indeed, the phones screen gives only a clue as to what your pics look like when back on your comp. Its no substitute for a real digicam (or the new megapixel phones), but it's absolutely perfect for casual snapping. Like other phones, its best to have a lot of light though, as the pics can appear noisy on some indoor shots, though leaving the phone to look at the subject for about 10 seconds, and so adjust its exposure levels, can help.
Videos though, can only be taken at 176x144, which is not very good. The frame rate is decent though (again, better than its more expensive brother the K700), and it could find some use for those who just want a quick recording of unimportant things.

The phones other features are mostly standard, calendars, task reminders, sound recorder (can use anything as a ringtone), midi & poly ringtones, WAP and HTML browsing, email, MP3 ringtones and playback.....
Ah, MP3's, currently the new hot topic for phones.
If you want to play MP3's, buy an MP3 player. Lots of phone shops are trying to sell you phones based on MP3's, what they never tell you is how much memory they wolf.
With the nice, but not amazing, quality of this phones external speaker you may as well convert your MP3's to 64kbps, that way they will only take about 1.5 to 2 megabytes each. But you still won't get many on the phones 12 megs of memory.

As long as you don't fill it with MP3's the phones memory is generous, especially as its compression systems used are so good. I've packed it with 25 games, some music videos, lots of sound snippets (my ringtone is the car alarm from Phoenix Nights ;-) and tons of pictures and applications, yet I still have 7 megs left (enough for over 300 camera pics at standard res). Great stuff. The phone's filing system is wonderful too, everything taken or transferred gets automatically stored in the right folder, accessible within seconds.

I've waffled on enough, needless to say I'm glad I chose this phone over the Motorola I had my eye on. You can currently get this phone on Virgin (and from Amazon) for £109, an amazing price for such a neat little gadget. It had sold out everywhere when I went looking, so settled for paying £150 for it from Woolworths (with "free" CD Walkman, which I needed). Still worth the money.

Pcthug's Response to krik81's Review

Written on: 02/11/2004

You stated that the phone can use MP3s as ring tones. I spoke to a Vodafone shop sales man, who stated that their version of the phone won't allow this, and they have also changed the lovely 3d icons to vodafones own 2d ones. Is this correct?
<br>MATT

Lewigy's Response to krik81's Review

Written on: 01/12/2004

The k500i is now £99 (on pay as you go ORANGE) in a shop called "the link" these shops are everywhere in north wales so I presume there UK wide. Orange is a sound network and I've never ever had any problems with them. I'd like to point out two key fetures that sell Orange to me:- 1) If your phone has no signal or is turned off, you will get a text message when its back on stating which phone numbers called you 2) If you do loose your signal mid-call (which I've not done so far!!!) if you re-dail that number straight away you will get a free 1 minute!! Also I find orange reliable and has a good signal all the time.

Written on: 20/11/2004

I forgot to mention, you CAN use MP3's as ringtones if they have DRM (copyright code) attached, like the ones that you can order from vodafone live, or those awful adverts that plague the music channels. You can attach DRM to any MP3 you want fairly easily, details on that link above.

Written on: 20/11/2004

I checked all six mobile shops in my area (liverpool) before buying the F500, both it and the K500 (on various operators)were roughly the same price, even in the vodafone shop. Though it may have been too new at the time to be subject to operator subsidising. Sim-free ones will ALWAYS be more expensive. £50 is a good saving, I'd get that if I were you. I've had no probs with Vodafone so far, and I'm paying a LOT less that I was with my old Orange network phone (mobile to mobile calls are cheaper for one). The reception wizzes all over my mates rubbish 3G phone too, that network is plauged with problems.
<br>
<br>As for differences, there's the case branding: a small Vodafone logo on the bottom of the phone, typical of almost every phone. The case is also coloured with a blue edge and light blue buttons. Personally, I think it looks better than the plain k500.
<br>The menu's icons are not as nice as the k500's, but the 3 other themes that come on the phone are very nice.
<br>The only other difference is something mentioned in the previous comment. I've found out that vodafone do lock out using MP3's as ringtones. This was never a problem for me as it's far quicker and easier to use the phones soundrecorder and sample sounds yourself. Apparently vodafone are going to remove such a pointless restriction in the next firmware release, maybe they already have.
<br>There are ways round it, detailed here: http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=70829#post932695
<br>
<br>Like I said though, I can't see the point of using MP3's as ringtones. You'd have to first edit the file in a waveform editor (no point wasting several megabytes of memory on a ringtone you only hear for a few seconds), then there's the transferring.
<br>Why bother when it takes 2 seconds to select "record sound" and hold the phone next to the speaker when the bit of the song you want is on.
<br>Anyway, enough waffle. £50 extra just for a plain colour scheme and slightly nicer menu screen is hardly a bargain, especially when you'll want to put it in a case/cover anyway to protect its lovely screen from getting scratched by coins/keys and other pocket debris.

Lewigy's Response to krik81's Review

Written on: 16/11/2004

I'm hooked on buying a F500i BUT my missus hates its colour scheme, she's insisting I buy her the K500i !!!!! So I've looked into it and found out its £50 more to buy sim free and will allow a Vodaphone simcard..... but I'm frightend my F500 or her K500 will differ badly one or the other will be better or have a special function that will make the other seem rubbish..... do you know of any major difference's?

Written on: 04/11/2004

I don't know what he's on about, the phone can use MP3 ringtones, as well as MIDI, self-recorded AMR, and super-small IMY formats. It even comes with a bunch pre-installed, and I've used many in the month I've had it.
<br>
<br>He's sort of right about the default ugly Vodafone theme, but it was quickly changed (in the My Items->Themes folder) to the lovely Spinler theme, or Floom for the girls. Many more downloadable from the Ericsson site or using Vodaphone live itself.