Austin Mini Cooper 998cc Reviews

• Practicality

• Reliability

Austin Mini Cooper 998cc - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Austin Mini Cooper 998cc

“cracking car, very fun to drive, awesome to look at...”

written by on 10/08/2010

cracking car, very fun to drive, awesome to look at smells like history... a good car to appreciate and im only 19 a first car, but what a car, broke down in 5 days but engine fun to work on and part quite cheap overall a good car

“I agree with most people, these cars turn heads....”

written by on 29/03/2010

I agree with most people, these cars turn heads. Having said that on the issues of practicality, reliability and performance, they are a bag of rubbish. And don't even get me started on the value for money. It is simply a very very large drain for money.
They sure look cool though.

“I'm reminded of one of my racing adventures. I took...”

written by on 09/03/2010

I'm reminded of one of my racing adventures. I took my 998cc '63 Mini Cooper, to Fremont Dragstrip sometime in the summer of '64 to dispel the myth that cars that go fast around corners can't go fast in a straight line--allowances for whatever classification notwithstanding.

If you recall how giantized the cars of the day were, you'll guess at the pile of greasy hot rodder derision heaped upon humble me and the red and black "shoebox". I basically just wanted to see how quickly my red and black turtle could go in a quarter. My wife and a couple of friends were along and sat in the bleachers.

My big mod for the day was to let some air out of the front tires and pump up the rears to somewhat alleviate the weight shift. Since tubes were required for auto-xing, I wasn't in terror of losing a bead, at least not in a straight line. The tires were the standard Dunlop, whatever-by-10", bias ply's, no less.

For giggles, the starter lined up my first pass against a "C Gas" '57, Chevy, a very hot car of the day. I remember that car was orange, but I knew nothing of classes for straight-line racing.

Everyone in the bleachers snickered as we toed the line, but then hushed as the X'mas tree greened and I beat the guy off the line and still had the lead as we roared (in the case of the chevy), and buzzed loudly in my case, past the stands. My wife attested that the entire amazed bleachers stood and cheered as we went past. Fists were pumped!

Of course, the orange blur I to my left had already reconstituted into solidity and was burbling into the far exit ramp when the red-lined "I-think-I-can" Mini got to the 1320 foot mark. Later however, I won my class and took home a nice trophy, one of my favorites.

“Its fun to drive thats when they start, which is a...”

written by on 03/02/2010

Its fun to drive thats when they start, which is a pain in the winter but dont worry cos your have plenty of practice as your have to pull over and turn them off, as they regularly over heat unless you always have the heater on.Oh and find one that doesnt leak good luck!! Then you have the road noise and engine which traveling at above 2000revs is annoying on a journey lastings more than 15minuites then the ride is bumpy and there not great on fuel and any more than one passenger means theres no performance but your not buy this British icon for the super ride of refined interior and speed you buy this for a lil piece of english heritage, and the fact that you will have every person turn there head to take a second look at even the scruffiest example. So why buy one simple it is the orignal its Great British MINI!!!

“The mini cooper was without a doubt an iconic car from...”

written by on 28/07/2009

The mini cooper was without a doubt an iconic car from the 1960's my favorite color scheme is almond green with an old english white roof however i would also recommend Tartan red with a black roof. The thing i like most about them is the fact that when you go around a corner the handling is amazingly good and you just cannot tire of the that amazing dash it is so simple however just as striking as say a mark 2 jaguar. When i bought mine brand new in 1962 the were very difficult to get hold of and so i ended up with the less desirable old english white with a black roof. At first i didn't really know what i'd bought but the more i drove it the more i fell in love with it.

“The Austin Mini Cooper 998cc is totally wicked cool ”

written by on 04/07/2009

The Austin Mini Cooper 998cc is totally wicked cool

“the mini cooper is the best car in my opinion...”

written by on 18/03/2009

the mini cooper is the best car in my opinion practicality and makes driving a pleasure.

“I love minis. I love how the car looks and its...”

written by on 21/04/2008

I love minis. I love how the car looks and its handleing is unreal and its just an amazing little car.

“I like my Austin mini cooper and I hope it keeps...”

written by on 22/12/2007

I like my Austin mini cooper and I hope it keeps trouble free like it is now. There's just never anything wrong with it!

“FUN FUN FUN!!! Alright you're not the fastest or most...”

written by Carus on 13/04/2006

FUN FUN FUN!!! Alright you're not the fastest or most reliable car on the road but remember you are an icon. Drive in a corsa and you may be quicker and more reliable but in a mini you will turn heads, and see people smile ear to ear as you roll-on-by. Every journey you take in the mini is exciting (a mini adventure), and as for breaking down the engine is the simplest ever created so what better chance to practise! You'll never be bored in the mini, and although small you'll not feel inadequate even sat next to a Ferrari, in fact you even get to feel superior when you sit next to the more mundane cars. Its not just a car its a feeling.

Bertie's Response to 238607_Carus's Review

Written on: 18/05/2006

Carus.....some years ago, a friend had a Mini Cooper like yours and I seem to remember him fitting a rubbery device which covered the distributor cap so excluding water. I'm sure it was successful.

“The Austin Mini Cooper 998cc provides a thrilling...”

written by stevomini on 18/03/2005

The Austin Mini Cooper 998cc provides a thrilling ownership experience, and receives more attention than classic cars ten times the value. Take it out in the summer on a late afternoon for best smile value.

“This Austin Mini Cooper 998cc classic car is the best...”

written by mHaynes on 24/09/2004

This Austin Mini Cooper 998cc classic car is the best fun I ever had behind the wheel of a car, having fully restored it at great expense, we drove it hard, showed it off and generally had a ball with it over the time we had it. They are now getting very expensive but well worth it.