Sony PSP Reviews

• Graphics

• Range Of Games

Summary

Sony's PSP or PlayStation Portable to give it its full name is promising to be one of the biggest consoles this year along with the Nintendo DS. Read reviews to decide which handheld console you need to buy this year. We also offer the opportunity to read and write Sony PSP Game Reviews. If you've used this console, please write a PSP review.

Sony PSP - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Sony PSP

Showing star rating of:

(cancel refinement)

“If you want a range of entertainment on the go then...”

Written on: 13/01/2007 by rob1977 (10 reviews written)

If you want a range of entertainment on the go then this PSP is for you. Its an MP3 player, games console, Internet browser and portable video too. If you just want it for games, or for younger users I would suggest the Nintendo DS - If you just want music, then an iPod… Read Full Review

“I bought my Sony PSP console as part of the giga pack,...”

Written on: 05/05/2006 by pea88 (1 review written)

I bought my Sony PSP console as part of the giga pack, from LikSang.com
This saved me about fifty pounds on the cheapest English Sites, so was chuffed with my buy.
However, after about three months, for no apparent reason the on switch became "floppy" as if it wasn't attached to anything. I rang Sony and they told me to fix it they needed to send it to Japan as it was a Japanese model and quoted me 100 pounds. I kindly refused their offer. My friend fixed the problem, but then the electrics… Read Full Review

“The Sony PSP was probably the most hyped console I'd...”

Written on: 28/10/2005 by Takahiro (36 reviews written)

The Sony PSP was probably the most hyped console I'd ever seen, and it certainly didn't live up to it, and sales after the initial launch go some way to prove that.

Firstly, it looks sleek, stylish and pretty much great, full marks to sony for that but on the downside, the screen itself is VERY easily scratched by the slightest contact and the design doesn't help.
However there are screen protectors available but they do ruin the design, the choice is yours.

But the graphics are brilliant… Read Full Review

216853_Bghp81's Response to Takahiro's Review

Written on: 11/11/2005

I am not one for all the hype but admire Sony for attacking a leader in the handheld realm. Just like constructive criticism, opposition brings out 'the best' in video game makers. Remember when Sega was on the ropes with too many systems and not enough standards, can you dreamcast; this was truly an awesome system but Sega had to pass the torch. Basically, Nintendo is the elite in the handheld market, I personally respect the veteran company for still competing in the market 20 years later with its original goal of quantity vs quality. Nintendo has a hold on the family and kiddie market that includes loyal adult fans. I say bring on the innovations and enjoy the show.

Sandman91B's Response to Takahiro's Review

Written on: 13/12/2005

I see your point. It's all good. I think every console has something to offer to everyone. I have all the gameboys except the DS. I made the switch to the PSP instead of getting another gameboy, mainly because I also wanted to get a new MP3 too and the movie thing was a huge plus for me. I was just a little surprised by the "nothing new" comment but I see where you're coming from though.
<br>Peace.

Takahiro's Response to Takahiro's Review

Written on: 13/12/2005

Correct, my gameboy doesn't do anything new but then it's also 4 YEARS OLD! My DS on the other hand has a completely new way of playing games with a touch screen.
<br>Please note I have tried all the features of my PSP, I have got several MP3's on it as well as some movies.
<br>I did mention the graphics were more or less PS2 quality and that the movie player was one of it's biggest plus points and that you can play music on it.
<br>And again, my gameboy does nothing, my DS does a whole lot more. And with my imported play-yan (soon to be available in the US and UK) I can play MP3's on my DS.
<br>
<br>I think you misread my review or got the wrong impression from it, I mentioned all of those things you said, and the PSP cannot really be compared to a Gameboy at all, they're different consoles from different times that are meant to do different things.

Sandman91B's Response to Takahiro's Review

Written on: 10/12/2005

I disagree with this review. It offers nothing new? And your gameboy does what? You haven't tried the MP3? The web browser? How about the fact that you CAN play the games from your PS2 with the same graphics? How about the fact that you CAN watch a movie on it? How about the fact that you CAN listen to music on it? It's got all of that and more. Again, your gameboy does what?

217433_Taddei1202's Response to Takahiro's Review

Written on: 17/11/2005

I've had mine for like a year now and its still amazing. I think that you do have one thing right the screen does scratch easily but thats why you buy a case. Its not like a touch screen were you have to touch the screen and scratch it! Just don't touch the screen! I've had my DS longer than my PSP AND the PSP makes the DS look like an old school gameboy.

Tomleecee's Response to Takahiro's Review

Written on: 13/11/2005

A very interesting view on the PSP there. Very honest too. I've only played on a friends PSP (Ridge Racer), and like you said - first you are wowed by the graphics but then what?! I agree with your points.

Read 6 Comments

“Ah...the Sony PSP. Where to start? Okay, the good...”

Written on: 06/09/2005 by SamusAran551 (38 reviews written)

Ah...the Sony PSP. Where to start? Okay, the good points: First, the graphics are amazing. You turn on the PSP and there are so many bright and vivid colors and animations...It is breathtaking. The graphics arguably rival the PS2. Secondly, any audio or visual files you have on your computer can be uploaded to your PSP memory stick. Very cool. Thirdly, you can buy your favorite movies on UMD. And the movies are played in High Definition.
or starters, the price of the PSP is way too much. $250… Read Full Review

“The Sony PSP has very good graphics and memory. It...”

Written on: 06/04/2005 by Cordasum (3 reviews written)

The Sony PSP has very good graphics and memory. It will hold a whole lot of pictures and songs. The games are awsome and the screen display is very nice. It is like you have your on little portable TV. The PSP needs a more powerful battery. It gives you two hours of game play then shoots out the disc before you are even able to save your game. The square button does not work. I have tested many PSP's and all of the effects that I have said applies to all of them. Other than that the Sony PSP is… Read Full Review

Masdebater's Response to Cordasum's Review

Written on: 14/04/2005

I really like the way you did this review. I think it's one of the friendliest low scores I have ever read. How many PSP's have you tested?

Written on: 05/06/2005

Yeh well they'll just keep making more just so people buy them, and they do.

Masdebater's Response to Cordasum's Review

Written on: 16/05/2005

I do agree that the DS is more innovative but in all fairness nintendo got where it is today because of the great games they had for each of their systems. I just don't see any must have games for the system. granted the psp is lacking but with Sony's third party support that probably won't be a problem. I just hope their can be enough room for two handhelds and eventually three when nintendo releases its next gameboy.

Written on: 15/05/2005

yeh i agree with you for the most of it.

Samusaran551's Response to Cordasum's Review

Written on: 29/04/2005

The American PSP still has a lot of those same problems. It is better, and the system is awesome, but it does have a lot of problems. The DS, on the other hand, has very few problems. I have seen SOME problems with the GBA games having poor sound quality on the DS, but that is it. The DS is better. And way more innovative.

Written on: 25/04/2005

Just found out my friends got the "Japanease PSP" from japan. The one in america works fine... so,uh yeah my reveiw sucks now well it will apply to the "Japanease PSP". Dangit now i feel like a moron..... but I still think it's overly priced. Yeah your right the DS can't win, the AMERICAN PSP kicks its tail.

Humperdingle's Response to Cordasum's Review

Written on: 25/04/2005

Why did u give it a 4 out of 10? Was this based on the poor value for money? As far as i can see, it's great value... I got mine for £240 with a game from lik-sang including import duty. Not a small amount of money I know, but I also have a DS, and it's getting punted to buy new PSP games! There is just no comparison at all between the two consoles. Anyway I digress, value for money asides, the PSP is well worth 9 or 10 i'd say.

Written on: 19/04/2005

Thank you. I'm not in a business or anything but my friends and I test games and consoles for the fun of it. I have tested 9 different ones so far.

Read 8 Comments