Porsche 996 911 Carrera Reviews

Porsche 996 911 Carrera - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Porsche 996 911 Carrera

“930 to a 996”

written by AnnabelleCarr301 on 10/02/2018

As happy as I was recollecting the combination of fun and fear I experienced in my 1987 930, which I sold in 2004, once I decided to reenter into Porsche ownership I opted for a 996 C2 3.6 manual, I can say that I was instantly delighted with the car, a far more sophisticated car with loads of power and predictable handling, I would recommend this car to anyone especially at current price levels. The purist movement may harp on and on about air cooing etc etc but technology moves on and so must we.

“Excellent Pure Driving Experience”

written by on 02/04/2013

I have had the 996 now for 3 months. It is my second porsche. My first was the boxster. This is an awesome driving car. Fast and furious but refined and dignified other times. Great styling and overall quality are keys for this vehicle. The convertible top is convenient and folds quickly and quietly. The only thing i wish it had was a light that showed when the spoiler extends and is extended off the back.

“Styling beautiful lines”

written by mattsfoxy on 23/01/2012

Rather average off make but then power that thrills. Handling amazing. With little kids the effort of getting them in and out is difficult. Over all a great car with the good lines to match. Will buy another in future.

“competence”

written by buddy911t on 06/07/2011

Thats what the 911 inspires in it's owners. Just the shear raw ability of this car gives you more than confidence in your driving skills, it gives you competence.

“I am new to Porsche ownership having owned my C2 for...”

written by on 05/11/2010

I am new to Porsche ownership having owned my C2 for only 3 months.
Whilst I was obviously fully aware of the long history of Porsche and the 911, until I went to view my first example I had never appreciated what a masterpiece in design the 996 is.

My previous car was a Subaru STi 5 Type R. The comparison between these two cars is interesting.

The Subaru is 2 door, 2 litres, delivers about 330 bhp, is four wheel drive, weighs approx 300kg less and is capable of sub 4 second 0-60 time.

The Porsche is also 2 door, 3.6 litres, delivers about 320bhp and in the C2 model, is two-wheel drive,and is capable of approx 5 sec 0-60.

Having driven the Subaru for eight years, it takes a little time to adjust to the different nature of the Porsche, but I am already well on the way to becoming yet another devotee of this oustanding car.

“I purchased my 996 C2 just over a year ago, CPO from a...”

written by on 30/08/2010

I purchased my 996 C2 just over a year ago, CPO from a Porsche dealer. For me it's a daily driver and much like the other posts the car takes some getting used to. My first reaction was that you need to pay more attention while driving as the cars speed and close-rate puts you on-top of the next car before you know it. Once you used to the power and handling, you've fine.

You'll also need to get accustomed to everyone from the gangly teenager to the senior citizen ogling over your car, face it, it's the car that everyone wishes they owned.
I've had zero problems other than preventative maintenance which is costly but you know that going in. The car looks fantastic, is great fun to drive and actually holds its value well.

“I've had 3 996 facelifts, two C2's and one C4, And i'm...”

written by on 29/04/2010

I've had 3 996 facelifts, two C2's and one C4, And i'm now looking to buy my 4th after a couple of years out driving diesels and contemplating ending it all every time i turn the key and feel the whole car shake!! At present these cars offer outstanding value for money, my first back in 2002 set me back £56,000, i can now buy that same car, albeit with an extra 0 on the odometer for £20k They're probably approaching some what risky territory with reliability, my last car was a C4 and that had a new gear box, fly wheel and two clutches under warranty with just 11,500 miles on the clock.. Porsche have ramped the warranty price from £700 a year back in 2002 to over £1300 a year now, Which for someone like me who's going to use the car on Saturday and Sunday during the summer is just an expense that will seem needless until the thing breaks..

Performance V Economy is actually reasonable, my 996's have returned better average MPG than my Mini Cooper S (2004) Audi S3 (2007) and golf Gti (2005) .. on a 70mph cruise along the M4 you'd get 30mpg with ease, floor it around B roads and you'll end up in the low 20's, just like my Mini with half the engine and half the power!

The inside in comparison to any modern sports car is poor, Aston, Audi, BMW all have the 996, and the 997 for that matter, hanging it's head in shame.. BUT.. it's a classic, it has heritage and they won't depreciate from the £20k mark with any particular speed.

“I finally took the plunge and swapped my Mazda RX8 for...”

written by Android 100 on 20/04/2010

I finally took the plunge and swapped my Mazda RX8 for a 7 year old 911 Targa C2 Tiptronic S.

When I took it for a test drive one drizzly afternoon in Leicester I thought, "What's all the fuss about?" After the RX8 the controls felt heavy, the interior hopelessly dated and I couldn't even get comfortable in the damned thing.

After a couple of days pondering I had it taken over to a Porsche main dealer, where I spent half an hour wandering around and chatted for almost the same to the technical manager. Jeez, that service bay was like a hospital ICU ward! Rubber gloves, white aprons and the technical manager in a pin stripe suit! But honest to God, there's something about those cars that is just different. Anachronistic they may be, but they have an integrity that only comes with 40 years of technical development and a pedigree that few other vehicles can match.

The 111 point check confirmed that this was a genuine car with no major mechanical faults that drove well. So I took the plunge.

When I picked the car up the sun was shining and suddenly that lovely all leather interior made the Mazda look like a cheap toy. I found the foot rest for my left foot (!) which suddenly made sense, and those controls felt beautifully weighted and almost fluid in their touch, unlike the fizzy sharpness of the RX8.

And that engine. After the fast-spinning Maz, no slouch in itself, this beautiful turbine-smooth boxer is blisteringly fast and the sound...whoa, baby. My favourite trick? Just about 70-75 m.p.h in the middle lane, give a couple of stabs on the wheel mounted '-' button and hit the big organ pedal hard. Just watch all those around you think they've selected reverse gear by mistake, and listen to that boxer roar as you rocket forward.

I've driven and owned dozens of cars, many of which I have enjoyed. But this baby is different. It's a car for life, and I love it.

“I have had my 996 Carrera 4 for 8 months and I love...”

written by on 24/02/2010

I have had my 996 Carrera 4 for 8 months and I love this car! I have had quite a few nice cars in the past, Clio V6, S2000, TT V6, GTV Cup but none of those even comes close to the 996! no other car I have driven has it all like the 996.

The only small grumbles are, hard ride, better with new Michelin Porsche N2 tires, Tiptronic is great around town but when you want to push it always changes up so manual is best to keep the engine on the boil!

Economy is really good I get almost 300 miles from a full tank (£56) I get around 26 mpg not bad really!

Not taken in to an offical Porsche as yet it will need a service soon so I will see, some good non Porsche garages about.

A 996 is amazing value for £25K you get a car worth £65K! why buy a new TT etc when you can have a 996? add to that the small amount of money you will lose when you sell, all makes sense!!

“I had a scooby prior to the 996 and I can say that the...”

written by on 05/02/2010

I had a scooby prior to the 996 and I can say that the 996 has much more immediate performance than the scooby. You could use 99% of the scoobies performance whilst the 996 you have to respect and be smoother on the inputs. Mine is in superb condition despite being 9 years old, not a spot of rust and all components still feel tight. Only items that have needed replacing are the front drop links - hardly a chore and only £45 a side. Great Car.

“I bought the car knowing nothing about 996s having...”

written by on 15/11/2009

I bought the car knowing nothing about 996s having previously owned Audi's S2 BMWs 5s and a 350Z. My first impressions during my drive home was how fragile the car felt.. that feeling like if you pushed it something would go wrong.

I garaged it for 2 months whilst I learnt my way around the car.. manuals and parts schematics are available on the web free in pdf format. For £200 I replaced all the coolant hoses, drive belts and brake pads. Suprised how cheap the parts are if you shop around its not too bad. I later replaced the shockers and link arms on the front for £700.00 and a pair of front tyres £240.00. If you are pratically minded the 996 is easy to work on although you do need some special tools to do certain things and small hands.

Had my car for two years now it handles great, 100% reliable and can turn in 38MPG on a run... 27/28 on average. The amount of mods and improvements available are endless what a fantastic car.. Having had a 350Z and couldnt be bothered to even wash it the 996 makes you find an excuse to take the long route and cleaning it is a dream... The design and driving position is excellent.. would i have another YES I would look at the higher spec versions than just the C2 knowing what I know now. My advice...anything older than 2000 will need: New shockers and springs, coolant hoses, will have siezed inside brake pistons on the calipers on the front. Check of oil leaks and transmission noise, noisy cam followers. If you are not pratical expect the car to cost you at least £1500 a year to maintain.

“My third Porsche (previous were a 944S and then a...”

written by on 22/07/2009

My third Porsche (previous were a 944S and then a 911(930) Turbo). The 996 is a far more civilised drivers car than older models and allows a degree of error which in the past would have had the car off the road, especially in the wet. Downside I suppose is fuel economy and the requirement for 99 Octane fuel - but comes with the territory - and the ever present worry of where to park it when out to minimise being door clipped in a car park or some nerd coining it. In all other resepcts it is a fabulous car to own and drive. Comfortable, fast and refined. Storage and stowgage is necesssarily limited but it is surprising how much can be packed into the front 'boot' if needed. The satnav is very basic compared to newer portable models today such as my Garmin 250W, especially the lack of 'postcode' input and the inability to have map guidance on without having the woman telling you where to go as an option. Porsche quote the 2008 upgrade to the system at £450 (still no postcode entry though!). In sum I am thoroughly enjoying the car and look forward to maintaining my love of Porsche when I eventually upgrade to a 997 in a few years time.

“I have owned my my 2002 Porsche 996 911 Carrera coupe...”

written by pedrilla on 09/03/2009

I have owned my my 2002 Porsche 996 911 Carrera coupe tiptronic for 5 years. The car is an absolute joy to drive and mid range acceleration is awesome (wannabie tail-gaters are swiftly lost in your rear-view mirror!!). The 996 has received heaps of bagging about the interior trim but after five years of ownership, I can say the interior is functional, ergonomic, a drastic improvement from the 993, and contrary to some unfounded comments, it is not made from bargain basement bin pieces that fall off over time! I do 90% city driving and the tiptronic is a superb all-round gear box. The gear box is tried and tested, solid as a tank and smooth as silk. Pump the accelerator and the tiptronic will surely kick-down to the business end of it's role as a performance transmission for all-occasions. Yes, it's not a double clutch thumper, and it doesn't have 7 gears, but it certainly delivers the best gear when you need it. In fact the 2002 tiptronic is the same box fitted to the 996 turbo, therefore strong enough to handle and punishment dished out from the 911 carrera. There are a few squeeks and rattles, but hey, try riding in a Ferrari that doesn't shake and rattle. Fuel consumption is great considering the performance the car is capable of. A slightly larger fuel tank would have helped to increase the distance between drinks but of course that would have changed the power to weight characteristics. The upgraded lights (same as the turbo) kill the usual and tired argument that you can't differentiate the carrera front end from a boxter. The maintenance costs have been reasonable given the badge you're driving, and apart from regular servicing costs, I've only needed to change tyres and a minor problem with a sticking sunroof that is certainly not a major drama. The engine has ticked over like a swiss watch and consequently this car is a keeper!!

“I bought my '98 Porsche 996 C2 3.4l, Tiptronic,...”

written by cozynp on 11/11/2008

I bought my '98 Porsche 996 C2 3.4l, Tiptronic, because I love these cars. I had it for one week when I had to take it back to the car yard as it had a very bad oil smell. There was no oil leaks. It had 86,000km on the dial (53,000mls).
The car stayed in the workshop for more than a week. I was told to take out extended warranty to save myself expensive repair costs. The engine was replaced due to cracked 1st cylinder. This could happen to any car.
I have driven it for more than 20,000km since, with no problem. I do get a faint rattling sound when I start it up from cold. This could be normal bearing noise. However when it reaches normal operating temperature, the rattle disappears. I change the engine oil every 10km (Mobil 1 ONLY) and the gear oil every 20km (Esso LT71141 ONLY). I now have 123,000km (76,000 mls). Also monitor the temperature when idling at traffic lights. If the temparature increases from 85-90+ have the coolant replaced and the radiator flushed. I am happy with the car. Do your research and have all the service records.
We are lucky in Australia to have warranty on all used cars for three months and an option to take out extended warranty for three years. The car was repaired at no cost to me, under the three month warranty.
Happy motoring.

“I am a new owner of a Porsche 966 Carrera so it is...”

written by on 25/05/2008

I am a new owner of a Porsche 966 Carrera so it is hard for me to comment to much, so far i am happy with my purchase and can recommend this car if you had a choice of a GTi hatch back or a Porsche 911 for the same money i know which one i would choose.

“I bought this car used and it was impeccably well...”

written by lounges on 11/11/2007

I bought this car used and it was impeccably well maintained. It looks brand new. In fact somebody had mistaken it for a 2007 model. I just want to be driving it all the time. It's almost as though nothing else matters when you own one of these beauties. My wife thought of it as just another car...until she drove it. Her immediate comment was "this is amazing".....another win for the hubbie's!

“Very often copied indirectly for legal reasons yet...”

written by 911 on 22/04/2007

Very often copied indirectly for legal reasons yet never duplicated. Cheap inexpensive other brands are value for money. Tough skins jeans swap meet gold chain dollar store etc. You get what you pay for!

“The Porsche 996 911 Carrera is a very nice car, very...”

written by noelnoel on 09/04/2005

The Porsche 996 911 Carrera is a very nice car, very fun to drive but I wish I hadn't splashed out so quickly - I would suggest test driving some other cars before spending this kind of money. A Jaguar XKR might be of better value.

“My Porsche 911 Carrera (996) was, on balance, a...”

written by Galactus on 08/10/2003

My Porsche 911 Carrera (996) was, on balance, a brilliant car. They take a bit of getting used to, the car is very precise in it's controls - light clutch, strong progressive brakes and an accelerator where every millimeter of travel gives an instant increase in power - so far so good. The tricky bit comes in going round corners fast - the car grips very well if you keep the throttle nailed down hard, if you lift off then the rear end can break away quite badly. Be brave, if you do get it wrong, the traction control is quite effective, but not idiot proof. The steering is very sensitive, which is great on country lanes, but on long motorway hauls it twitches and wanders a bit, not that relaxing.

To live with, the car is as easy as a family hatchback - it deals with heavy London traffic easily, below 3000 revs, it's quick, but remains docile and relaxed - wind it up past 4500 and it really kicks off. The engine sounds great at high revs, like a chainsaw behind your ears. Nobody ever beat me off the lights - except a supercharged AMG Mercedes SL (the new one).

It was luxurious, the sports seats option made a great difference to long distance rides. You can fit a big bag in the front, and if you fold the rear seats down, a suitcase or two - if you squeeze. I once got 3 people in it for a trip to Cradiff, but they were uncomfortable in the back after about 30 mins.

It had some problems, the gear linkage broke and it jammed in 1st gear (at about 60 mph in a motorway tunnel) which was pretty hairy. The Porsche warranty is pretty limited, and didn't cover this which meant arguing with the dealer until he agreed to fix it - bearing in mind it nearly put me & the car into a nasty accident, this was very disappointing. The nose gets chipped all the time by stones on the road. Getting the front bumper re-sprayed costs about £800, too, so this is a pain. It also hates speed bumps (14mph max or scrape it badly). The wide low-profile tyres look cool but make for very noisy motorway driving, and the servicing is expensive - £350 per year for the service plus new brake pads (normally about £250) plus each tyre was £120, and it eats rear ones alarmingly quickly.

In summary, it's a very practical, fast and well enginereed car - safe in a crash, too. But it's expensive, and the people at Porsche London give the same kind of service my girlfriend gets from her Ford dealer - which isn't great.