Dolcis Reviews

1.6
  • Quality of service

• Layout of shop

Dolcis - Ask a question now

“I was treated like moaning customer. I went in with my...”

written by sara33 on 07/04/2008

I was treated like moaning customer. I went in with my shoes that i purchased and they fell apart in 2 months. i had my receipt but i was told it has been over 28 day and i was allowed an exchange. What i find troubling is that do Dolcis expect their shoes to last 28?

Gavinturner's Response to sara33's Review

Written on: 20/04/2008

what was the date of purchase ?
<br/>if it was before january 21st you are going to have no joy as dolcis ltd went into administration. if it was after that date all the stock and the trading name dolcis was purchased by stylo barratts shoes, so you should take your complaint to them at this address.
<br/>Barratts Shoes Customer Services,
<br/>BD10 0NW,
<br/>tel:01274 893 837
<br/>or 01274 893 845
<br/>
<br/>i do know that a lot of the dolcis shops that remain open are being run at the moment by temporary and inexperienced staff
<br/>so i would take your complaint direct to the head office .

“Employ better staff!”

written by on 06/02/2008

Employ better staff!

Gavinturner's Comment

Written on: 08/02/2008

I think the shop closed without warning to all the staff as well.
<br/>dolcis went into administration on the 21/01/08
<br/>so i don't think they'll be employing any staff let alone better ones.

“Nice shop you should go in when theres a sale on you...”

written by chez18 on 05/02/2008

Nice shop you should go in when theres a sale on you can pick up some decent things! I purchased some sandals from there and they are really comfy and still look new even though I wore them all the time on my holidays!

“Unsafe heels on a pair of boots that I bought in...”

written by lapland on 03/11/2007

Unsafe heels on a pair of boots that I bought in Chester town, Dolcis shop.
I almost fell on my back with the heels sliding under me on laminated and linoleum flooring. I have been walking on the balls of my feet. Just not good enough.I have had to put rubber heels on the boots at a cost of £7.

One unhappy customer. Like the boots, but what a fuss after purchase.

Traingeo's Response to 321807_lapland's Review

Written on: 03/05/2017

I was wearing a pair of Dolcis flats this morning and fell and injured myself, there is zero grip on the soles, I had to go out at lunchtime and buy new shoes as I am so nervous about wearing them. Thank goodness I was walking slowly as I felt they were slippery, otherwise I would have been badly injured, rookie mistake to make shoes with no grip, death traps

“Staff at the Dolcis shoe shop at the Metro Centre were...”

written by banana on 04/09/2007

Staff at the Dolcis shoe shop at the Metro Centre were very unhelpful, and wouldn't listen. A friend bought shoes for £40, and three weeks later they were being sold for £16, and that was what they offered her as a refund. She refused and took the shoes to a charity shop. She contacted head office and they said the decision was final.

Gavinturner's Response to banana's Review

Written on: 09/09/2007

I found this review about Dolcis unhelpful.

Wigz's Response to banana's Review

Written on: 10/09/2007

What you seem to be forgetting to mention is the conditions to which your friend was taking the shoes back to Dolcis. For example, if she did not have a receipt or proof of purchase, then she would not be entitled to a full refund, but a refund to the current sales price. However, if she were to have her receipt, there is no reason for her not to have been given refused a full refund. This would be the same in any retail outlet. You can not expect staff to just take someones word for it.

“Shopping at Dolcis has never been a bad experience for...”

written by Jane Cosham on 16/06/2007

Shopping at Dolcis has never been a bad experience for me and I have always like their products and have not had a problem after many years of shopping there. I firmly believe it is the way we approach each other that often promotes an unsatisfactory result. All the other reviews are negative which is not the picture I have of this store.

“I took a pair of my son's shoes back to Dolcis after a...”

written by pauldaly on 14/05/2007

I took a pair of my son's shoes back to Dolcis after a week of wearing them. The sole was hanging off one shoe. I was told by the manageress that I had failed to protect the leather, as leather is not waterproof. My wife, who bought them, was not informed that she should do this to prolong the shoes' life beyond one week. As a gesture of goodwill (!!) she said she would exchange them, but would not give me a refund. As I did not want the same thing to happen again, I insisted on a refund, but she refused. I took the shoes away, and I am now pursuing my money back, plus compensation for time spent by letter and small claims.

I went to 3 other shoe shops and asked what they would do in the same situation. They all said that they would have given a full refund. No wonder Dolcis is losing hundreds of thousands of pounds per year. Their customer service style is still in the 1970's!

Wigz's Response to pauldaly's Review

Written on: 10/09/2007

I disagree with this review because the customer service is not still in the 70's. Just from a one-off bad experience with Dolcis, you can not brand an entire company as having bad customer service.

Parkesd's Response to pauldaly's Review

Written on: 26/01/2009

I object to the comment "customers service being in the 70s" I managed for Dolcis in the 70s and this is not something that would have happened then. Managers and staff were well trained and if a complaint could not be satisfactory resolved in the shop it would be resolved by head office. It was very rare that this was needed though and I cannot remember having to use head office to resolve a problem in all the years that I managed one of their shops. Customers should remember though that shoes take a pounding under their weight and maybe some of these complaints are not justified. Someone once said that if people walked on their heads they would soon complain about their hats.

“I bought a pair of boots from the Chester store and...”

written by pinkpaperclip on 03/05/2007

I bought a pair of boots from the Chester store and the zip broke on them. I took them back, and they said they were not their boots! I had the box as well! And I did not own any other boots to get them mixed up with. The Dolcis assistant that served me 4 days earlier was there, but she said she did not remember me.

We wrote to head office and told them, but we got a reply saying there was nothing they could do. The assistant that got the boots from the back room for me was a Saturday girl. I will never ever shop at one of their stores again. I was furious, as the boots were my birthday present from my husband.

“When I returned a LEAKING shoe to Dolcis in the...”

written by decoded on 20/02/2007

When I returned a LEAKING shoe to Dolcis in the Wakefield Ridings branch, the smarmy manager told me that shoes were not waterproof unless they were hiking boots. She than accused me of walking through deep puddles which could have caused the leak. Not once did she take me seriously, but treated me like a kid who likes to jump about in the rain. After questioning her answer, the other members of staff backed up her reply and said that their shoes also leak in heavy rain. The manager also had the cheek to say she could take my (1 week old) shoes away for water testing, and not once offered an exchange. I certainly will not be supporting Dolcis again and recommend other people to make their own minds up by reading the other negative reviews.

Written on: 25/02/2007

I don't see how you can give the Dolcis store a mark of 3 out of 10 for store layout. It seems that you have marked low on all categories because you did not get what you desired on this occasion. You also did not mention if you were sold this pair of shoes as a waterproof pair, or what materials they were made out of. I can only assume that they were a pair of leather shoes, and they must have absorbed water due to the nature of the skin, and thus you probably did not take the store up on the offer of purchasing some rain protecting product at the point of the original purchase. (I hope my comment does not come across as smarmy).

Written on: 07/03/2007

Sorry to burst your bubble Gav, as I&#039;m not a leggy blonde with an amazing figure who likes to wear wellies.
<br/>
<br/>Yes, I&#039;m just an average looking Yorkshire guy who like to moan about faulty shoes and even though we are tough in the North, we unfortunately find wet feet uncomfortable.
<br/>
<br/>Maybe if everyone in the world did wear wellies, the world would be a better place?

Written on: 02/03/2007

I hope you don&#039;t think I was trying to crack on to you!
<br/>
<br/>I naturally thought you was a women because I can&#039;t believe a yorkshire man would moan about WET FEET. I thought they bred you tough up there and it was us southerners that were soft.

Written on: 01/03/2007

Thanks again for your speedy response Gav!
<br/>
<br/>I also have enjoyed that banter, and it made me chuckle to hear your wellington joke. ;o)
<br/>Life can be so boring at times and things that brighten it up should be regarded as special in my opinion.
<br/>
<br/>I&#039;m glad you came clean about working for Dolcis, as it was obvious how you seemed to defend the store.
<br/>
<br/>I understand how it may upset you to see negative reviews, but I really was cheesed off by that manager in Wakefield.
<br/>I wanted just a simple refund or replacement and didn&#039;t expect any hassle at all. I walked out of the shop more shocked than angry with her attitiude.
<br/>
<br/>When I took the same shoes back to Leeds (White Rose) the response was much better and the lady kindly offered a replacement. I can&#039;t understand why Wakefield had to be so hostile?
<br/>
<br/>I have used Dolcis for many years, but after this incident I won&#039;t take the risk and will purchased from a shop that I know has good refund policies.
<br/>
<br/>I&#039;m not normally a negative person, but felt I had to let other people know what I experienced in case someone else might have the same problem. No-one should have had to put up with the remarks I got, when the shoe was faulty.
<br/>
<br/>Hopefully Dolcis will re-train their staff and in the future offer more improved cutomer service.
<br/>
<br/>By the way Gav, I am a man not a woman! I think you thought I was a woman all the time, he he.

Written on: 28/02/2007

I need to own up and say yes, I do work for dolcis, but only as a foot soldier.
<br/>I stumbled across this site a couple of months ago and I also have to admit it makes depressing reading and shows dolcis in an extremely bad light, however there is light at the end of the tunnel as I do not know if you are aware but dolcis was sold by the company (alexon) that owned them at the beginning of the year. and I believe it is a top priority of the new owners to re train and re educate the staff and management, which can only be a good thing. They are also undergoing a re-branding programme currently to update the image and appearance of the stores. So if I can suggest you don&#039;t lose faith in the brand dolcis but put it on hold for a few months revisit us and then comment on the new look and feel to the stores.
<br/>
<br/> I do also need to say I have enjoyed the last couple of comments from youself and I hope you felt it was in good banter, as this was what I intended it to be. In the meantime if your wellies begin to leak may I suggest you move down south where I live as we are still on a hose pipe ban and officially in drought season. Once again thanks for your comments and we hope to see you in the summer to purchase some sandals.

Written on: 27/02/2007

Well, you are sarcastic as well as smarmy !!
<br/>
<br/>It makes doing a genuine review all the more pleasurable to hear from upset people in the retail business.
<br/>
<br/>I better go and put my wellies on now, off for a stroll in the rain!
<br/>Bye

Written on: 26/02/2007

Such a quick reply. I would like to congratulate you on going 30+ years with dry feet. You must tell us where you do buy your shoes from? You're not that lady that walks around Yorkshire in Wellington boots all the time, are you?

Written on: 25/02/2007

Thanks for your comments and it&#039;s obvious you have something to do with Dolcis or retail to defend the store.
<br/>
<br/>To be honest, I found the layout of the store to be cramped and lacked the space I normally like in a store. This constantly caused me to move for other customers to let them pass by, and also made me feel to hot and uncomfortable.
<br/>That is why I gave a low mark in this area.
<br/>
<br/>Yes, the shoes were leather, and in all my 30+ years of owning leather shoes, never have I had a pair that leak when walking in rain. Ok, if you stand in a deep puddle long enough it may soak in, but for general usage. No way!
<br/>
<br/>In the end I took the shoes back to the Leeds White Rose branch, where the manager agreed that the shoes shouldn&#039;t leak and offered a replacement instantly, so no you don&#039;t have to buy a product to make them waterproof!
<br/>The products probably just stop the leather looking marked or dis-coloured.
<br/>
<br/>This whole experiance has put me off the Dolcis chain and I will use another shop in future that doesn&#039;t give any grief for a genuine return. I just thought I would advise others what experience I had, and yes I think you are smarmy!

“I am annoyed at Dolcis, because when spending over £60...”

written by Aasiabibi on 15/12/2006

I am annoyed at Dolcis, because when spending over £60 on boots, I do not expect to receive one 'used' shop one and one new one. When I complained, the girl said it was the last pair and all they could do. On another occasion I tried on 2 size 6 boots, gave her the 'shop one' back and asked for a new one. She went away and came back with the same boot! I knew it was the same one because a) it looked older, but b) I had opened the buckle and tightened it, distorting the shoe, and I did not tuck the buckle in, and the shoe she came back with was exactly in this state! Then when I asked if they did discounts for used shoes, they looked at me like I was trying to fiddle THEM, and said no they didn't give discounts.

Gavinturner's Response to Aasiabibi's Review

Written on: 25/01/2007

It is unfortunate that your size was the one on display, but you can't seriously be expecting Dolcis shop or any other shop to buy products just for display. In any shoe shop at any time there must be hundreds of single feet on display. When you go to Top Shop or Next to buy some clothes, do they pop out the back and get you some new ones? I don't think so. It is a bit misleading to say they are used shoes.

Bexston's Response to Aasiabibi's Review

Written on: 01/03/2007

I work for Dolcis and have done for 6 years. It really irratates me when people like you say they want a new pair of shoes because they don't want the display one, well there not second hand! All the shoes are new so face facts you either get that or nothing and if you don't like it go shop somewhere else!

“I purchased a pair of boots from their Trafford Centre...”

written by taylol on 28/11/2006

I purchased a pair of boots from their Trafford Centre store in Manchester. All the staff were very helpful until I came to pay. There were a few scratches on the boots and a tube of leather cream had been put into the box at the till (I thought this was complimentary for the scratched boots). The assistant said the cream was great and would remove the scratches, then charged me for the cream. When I queried this I was told 'they could not let me have it for free'. The supervisor was called, who told me if the cream was given, the boots became non-returnable (have they never heard of peoples statutory rights)? All this process took approximately 20 minutes of my time. I work hard for my money so when I spend it I expect excellent customer service, as well as excellent products.

Kittyclare's Response to 268726_taylol's Review

Written on: 22/01/2007

I think that was pretty bad actually. If I worked at Dolcis, if that had occurred I would have reduced the boots by the price of the cream, and then scanned the cream, so effectively you would have received the cream for free, whilst still putting it through the till for audit purposes.

“I was disappointed with the service in the Wimbledon...”

written by shopper31 on 23/09/2006

I was disappointed with the service in the Wimbledon branch of Dolcis. I was hoping to buy a pair of shoes that I had tried on today but after the disinterest from the shop assistants and the clear strain required to be friendly and helpful, I left the pair of shoes and hope to try another branch for service with a smile.

“I was annoyed with Dolcis, that whilst they say that...”

written by flossy07 on 11/09/2006

I was annoyed with Dolcis, that whilst they say that statutory rights are not affected by their refunds policy actually, it clearly is, as if an item is not fit for use, then a repair, replacement or refund must be offered and they said that they were unable to do this for bags. I can only assume that this policy is in place as they have no faith in their bags!

Kittyclare's Response to 259200_flossy07's Review

Written on: 22/01/2007

Did you have a receipt for the bag? If not that was why, as it says on the Dolcis refund policy that a receipt must be produced for all handbag returns.

“I actually work for Dolcis and am very disappointed to...”

written by kittyclare on 07/08/2006

I actually work for Dolcis and am very disappointed to read that many of the people on here have had bad experiences. I agree with the point that the website isn't brilliant and it does need updating. But I can honestly say that in the store where I work we always give good customer service and would never dream of saying some of the things said on here. If we don't have a shoe in stock the warehouse is the next port of call who we phone and see if we are able to get the style. And we take customer details so we can contact them when we get them. As for the returns policy I'd like to point out that the staff in the shop didn't actually write it and can only say what is told to us and follow the guidelines set by the company. If you have experienced what you believe to be rude staff then you should complain so something can be done or it will never improve but please don't tar all Dolcis staff with the same brush. As regard to faulty shoes we have to take things into consideration and make a judgement on what we see and hear from the customer if we are unsure in any way we would refer it to head office, they have the final say in some cases. But never have I been rude to a customer because there is no need to be, it's not how I'd want to be treated. But the customers are not completely blameless, when a refund is referred to head office or refused, even though you may not be best pleased there is no need to take it out on the staff who are only doing there job. We certainly don't go to work or be paid to be shouted and sworn at. As for non-faulty returns we actually do more than we need to by offering a refund at all. By law we don't have to do anything at all. If you are happy when you buy an item and are under no duress to do so then it is your decision to buy, nobody forces you therefore we don't have take any item back.

“My daughters took a pair of shoes back to Dolcis in...”

written by shales on 14/05/2006

My daughters took a pair of shoes back to Dolcis in Chester and they were told that they needed a receipt and their mother to get vouchers back (despite the sign on the wall saying they did not). I went back a week later and got the vouchers no problem. The person next to me in the queue had some shoes in a terrible state after one days wear, and the manager was being most unhelpful and refusing to refund. I intervened and was asked what business was it of mine? To which I replied that I was a customer. No concept of customer service at all.

On returning home and checking our bank account, I found that our original shoe purchase of £20, which had been with vouchers, had also been charged to my wife's Visa card. It was too late to do anything, as they had kept the receipt when returning my vouchers!
Is this company policy or a local problem?

“I went into Dolcis looking for a pair of smart shoes...”

written by Pedders on 14/05/2006

I went into Dolcis looking for a pair of smart shoes and ended up asking to try on smart shoes, flats and sandals! It was taking ages so I asked the senior shop assistant/manager if she knew where they were. She was unhelpful, and when I asked about shoes matching a bag I found and liked, she was equally unhelpful and said they didn't have any and couldn't get any. She did not offer to find out if a store nearby had any or any other help. So, I walked out and didn't purchase any shoes that day! I like Dolcis shoes, but they were so unhelpful I felt like I was being an inconvenience. I would not recommend Dolcis for a good shoe shopping experience!

“I bought a pair of pretty orangy/peach pumps from...”

written by xxHiggxx on 02/04/2006

I bought a pair of pretty orangy/peach pumps from Dolcis in Stevengae last year. If it wasn't for the growth of my feet I would still be wearing them now. They were the most comfortable shoes I have ever bought and they lasted as long as I needed them to.

“I bought a pair of suede effect boots from Dolcis for...”

written by pr86 on 20/02/2006

I bought a pair of suede effect boots from Dolcis for what I thought was a reasonable price. However after two weeks of normal wear (about 3-4 days per week) the heels had worn down to the metal part and the toes had started to fray. I took the boots back with the receipt hoping that I would at least be able to get them repaired or replaced however I was told that I was not entitled to anything as there is no guarentee as to how long a pair of boots should last and that I should have got them repaired as soon as the heel began to wear away. They did not agree that a pair of boots costing £40 should not need to be repaired after 2 weeks and if they do need repairing so quickly that they are not fit for the purpose they were intended for i.e. walking in them. I will never buy anything from Dolcis again and I encourage anyone wanting to purchase from them to think twice as if any faults occur you will be very lucky to get Dolcis to take any responsibility for the problem.

“I find the shoes at Dolcis to be good value and good...”

written by ajn on 20/02/2006

I find the shoes at Dolcis to be good value and good quality. Many of the shoes are produced by big name designers, and there is a good selection of styles available. All the staff members are polite and aid the customer when assistance is needed. Refunds are given if there is a genuine fault and the faults comply with the refunds policy.

Jolr's Response to 230839_ajn's Review

Written on: 23/07/2006

Do you work for Dolcis by any chance?!

“I purchased a pair of shoes from Dolcis and it lasted...”

written by rubbishmail on 15/02/2006

I purchased a pair of shoes from Dolcis and it lasted 1 week with the sole coming off. I lost the receipt but had the credit card receipt, and they don't consider this proof of purchase and I had to fight for my money back, (still waiting has to be approved by head-office).