Manchester Airport Reviews

Media Gallery for Manchester Airport

Manchester Airport
Manchester Airport

“Meet and assist ”

Written on: 26/06/2022 by Phyllis74 (1 review written)

Yesterday evening I flew from Manchester airport and needed assistance within 5 mins of asking wheelchair was brought .all the staff at the assistance group were jolly courteous and do helpful .I was last flight of the day do they had had a long day.everything was done with a smile on there face had to write with all the bad reviews Manchester airport is getting.Thankyou for making my journey Easy sorry can’t remember all the name

“Poor service ”

Written on: 02/06/2022 by 140Hooper (1 review written)

For me the worst experience.. i would not wish on anyone. The aggression and rudeness patronising tones i experienced. I understand its not an easy job and with all cancellations and being understaffed. But wow the experience for me was out of this world. But from check in which was a little slow but staff walking and working in that area i had a six foot man shouting in my face in regards to moving bearing from where i was standing to which I calmly explained,but having two trolleys stacked up with luggage a twin pushchair and 2 single pushchairs with all children sitting in them waiting for the rest of our party travelling with us. He told me i was shouting when he was towering above me in an aggressive tone to move. I was appalled at his aggressive behaviour. We were told that we may use the assisted travel by general manager earlier as we was a large group to also be told with more aggression may I add that we could not as for disability and parents, we tried to explain to them about what general manager had stated to us. To be met with same aggressive bwhaviour i had to then walk off as i was ready to blow up and act in the same manner. Fuming went to security it was a shambles two lanes open but one with fast track so we was going to be late for our flight explained to check to which she did help and are grateful as 3 of us were in that queue that was not moving fast. To be met witg more sarcasm and patronising behaviour to our 69 year old passengner who did not take the tone given. I was sent through body scanner for my long braids to be checked and scan of body, trainers taken off me so i proceeded down to collect my belongs to ask one member of staff about my trainers, which had not come through the cameras to then go ask but he didnt i just got the response oh wht you want your trainers so much you got drugs in them... no i need to walk and actually get on the plane, my trainers were placed on the side! To get a response oh you forgot your trainers just placed on the side. No you wasnt clear what you was doing. Another party memember bags had moved down to be searched, she had forgotten to take out a water bottle which was empty, trying to explain oh sorry i forgot to take out with a rude and patronising manner. Im sorry thexstaff have no compassion they are aggressive rude patronising and our party was of a mixed combination of ages and childen. Having to rush to our flight which was gate 25 with limited time to spare! Honestly for me had put me off ever flying from manchester airport. We have all experienced some hard times these last 2- 3 years and can see they are understaffed, but honestly this whole experience with aggression patronising sarcastic behaviour would put anyone off.

“Poor service ”

Written on: 02/06/2022 by 140Hooper (1 review written)

“This was a dire experience and has put me off flying...”

Written on: 24/03/2022 by Damarionb476 (1 review written)

This was a dire experience and has put me off flying from Manchester for life sooner travel further a field than experiencing this again 2 hours from back of the queue to security check point god help you if you need the toilet stuck in a snake with no way out! I’m 72 pensioner strip searched I’ve no idea what they hoped to find. Outside the airport this would be classed assault! When it was finally over 3 hours to get through security he said have a good holiday I replied are you joking I feel like going home! He said he would escort off the premises if I was serious. I carried on and in to a half empty airport with a handful of flights! The Duty free and shops doing no business as people were trying to catch their flights. A complete disaster!

“Worst travelling experience ever ”

Written on: 20/12/2020 by martasm21 (1 review written)

I am horrified by the treatment of the security staff. They kept me waiting for literally 1 whole hour just unpacking my whole suitcase, checking each one of my make up products, going over every single part of my suitcase, grabbing my toothbrush and swabbing it, as if they had never seen a toothbrush before. They just seemed to enjoy making a big deal out of absolutely every product within my bag, then said that products like toothbrushes and phone chargers need rechecking. I almost lost my flight due to their incompetence and rudeness. They did the same to anywhere very old couple just ahead of me, the old lady having to sit down while his husband had to repack both their suitcases. Absolutely appalling behaviour from the staff at Manchester airport, I had already heard bad reviews and experiences by this was just a joke. I will try to avoid travelling from Manchester at all costs.

“What a disgrace !!!”

Written on: 27/09/2019

Where to begin about T1 at Manchester.Even before the Thomas Cook saga,we left on Monday 16/9/2019 and from check-in to security took from 4.10 am until 5.30 am, got onto plane with 15 mins to spare.Questioning at that point whether holidays abroad were really worth the hassle.What a contrast at Palma,Mallorca both on arrival and on return on 26/9/2019 even as mentioned earlier the problems with TC.Airport was spotless if not gleaming, efficient and even if a delay was to be expected what awaited us at Manchester was not.On arrival it took 20-25 mins for them to get steps ( yes, steps) to the aircraft,queue at passport control about 3/4 miles long and then the laughable baggage reclaim.All together from landing at 2.20 pm got bus taking us to car park at 4.00pm.I could go further, but suffice to say will think long and hard about using Manchester next time and maybe time to give Liverpool another go.

“BEWARE ”

Written on: 15/09/2019 by Jules7781 (1 review written)

I flew from Manchester airport on 09/09/19 with my partner to the Dominican Republic as it was a direct flight. We prepaid for extra baggage allowance but I was charged an extra £85 for excess baggage as the case was a couple of kgs overweight. I did not have a credit card so my partner paid on his card and the suitcase went on his ticket and I took his baggage on my ticket. We arrived in Punta Cana after a 9 hour flight but the bag we paid extra for did not. It was reported to a representative and he completed a form. Eventually after numerous phone calls we were told the case was still in Manchester and would be on the next flight which was Friday - 4 days later. The case eventually arrived but had a ticket on the handle saying that it had been X-rayed and examined. When I opened it I found that it had been rifled through and my Amazon Alexa and it’s cable had been taken along with 2 bottles of perfume, my hairdryer and some other toiletries. No one actually wants to take responsibility now. Everyone travelling from Manchester BEWARE - do not put ANYTHING of any value in your hold bags!!

“Avoid if possible”

Written on: 11/07/2019 by Fordqe1970 (1 review written)

Having traveled extensively, from using airports described as being mature, well furbished to basic third world through to airports in conflict zones, I can honestly say that Manchester Airport is the worst airport that I have traveled through in the past forty years. The airport is untidy, dirty, and its only purpose appears to make money from its customers in any fashion possible – from drop off charges, inadequate parking facilities and excessive charging, though to baggage trolley charging and overpriced unappealing food and beverage facilities, not to mention the over the top concession stands. The worst aspect is security, which prides itself in kettling customers, providing competing advice from staff, joyous patting down of customers, to the ninth degree, through to the rummaging through of rejected hand luggage. This was only too practiced on my wife, who was patted down repeatedly, despite only wearing a shift dress, and underwear, and advising of an arterial shunt, who was advised during her patting down to raise her dress so that her legs could be seen ! – despite a fellow security colleague advising her to stop the pat down. Her hand luggage was not inspected for he plethora of lifesaving drugs, but for a turned off phone, which was left in the hand luggage on the advice of the security personnel. Advice is to avoid this airport at all costs, even if it entails a longer journey, as your health will be put in danger of using this airport.

“Another Horrific Experience!”

Written on: 11/05/2019 by Whitakersh283 (1 review written)

Picked up a friend from T1 last Tuesday. £4.0 is extortionate to park the car in an undersized car park which is so crammed and with bays so narrow you have to pull the car out to load up and get the passengers in. I know T1 will eventually be demolished but the place is a dump and MAG simply don't care. They say the drop off and pick up charges will be dropped post construction of the new terminal; Really!! 28 million passengers with a approx 30% being dropped off and picked up at £7.00 in total is probably netting MAG £20 - £30 million pa to help fund the construction project; disgraceful. There is nothing to like about this place and as a window of the North West for new arrivals, it paints a desperately poor impression of the region

“What customer care”

Written on: 19/04/2019 by stantheman44 (2 reviews written)

I am handicapped. Who cares, Manchester Airport don't. I had booked wheelchair assistance but, there was no one available to push it. So my wife pushed the chair, bags and all. Security was a frightening joke. I was left 'Parked' by the body scanner, whilst the tray with all my personnel belongings/valuables went on there way without me. I decided to say 'Sod It' and went in pursuit of my valuables. No one stopped me. My valuables were in the tray at the end of the roller belt where anyone could have picked them up. A bloody disgrace

“dropping off t1 level 5”

Written on: 24/09/2018 by airbrush77 (1 review written)

Dropped wife and friends at t1 24/09/18 0525 waited t0 get to payment barrier till 0545 cars backed up in drop off point blaring horns and fumes I worked at the airport for a airline for 28 years and was proud of the airp0rt this system stinks and this was 0530 am only saving grace when got to barrier staff waving cars past without payment

“Custome/security”

Written on: 24/07/2018 by 341Gilliam (1 review written)

In common with many others the main problem is the time it takes to get on or off your flight and out of the airport. The security/customs process is simply woeful nine times out of ten. Whatever technology has been brought in for digital passports simply doesn't work for a lot of people and there is usually severe understaffing with regard to the security lanes. As a consequence it's not uncommon to take 45 minutes or more queuing to get through. The staff seem to have become inured to working for a poor organisation and really don't appear to care. I suppose it's difficult when a lot of passengers are telling you day after day how crappy the experience of flying from Manchester is. In summary I now try to avoid Manchester if possible. Liverpool is further away for me, but it is by far a better airport and the whole experience is less stressful. I've got to the point where I'm actually expecting a bad experience at Manchester because that's the norm.

“T3”

Written on: 25/06/2017 by ykWentworth262 (1 review written)

T3 security gets a very bad write up generally which generally is right the cleanness of the place leaves much to be desired with some rubbish being in same place for weeks even months showing a lack of management, shops are poor with little choice and there is not many places to sit down and the paintwork is extremely grubby. Though security at times leaves lot to be desired with some staff being extremely rude and unhelpful at times there are some very nice and courteous staff around who never get a mention, staff who do try their best to help. Unfortunately staff have also put up with extremely abusive and rude passengers who blame staff for them arriving late and also leaving 500ml of shampoo in their bags which of course they argue is not a liquid and hair dryers which are not Electrical - they blame the bag searchers for rejecting their bags for the second time for a mobile phone which is classed as a Large Electrical Item . It is also not the bag searchers fault when last week their corkscrew or wallet ninja was allowed through but this week because the manager Likes the passenger it can go through " on this occasion". Staff get blamed when the queues get bigger due o equipment not working at all and which have been out of service for weeks if not months. Staff look stupid when they apparently don't know the rules because they keep changing and nobody informs us. Staff are demoralised by the way they are treated by their management . It's about time their main asset is listened to .

“Rude staff, very run down and dirty”

Written on: 16/04/2017 by Bellfe79 (1 review written)

Flew threw this airport multiple times in the last few months and every time have the exact same luggage and contents. Rule for security change every time. Every week security staff seem to go out of their way to be exceptionally rude.

Stardust202's Comment

Written on: 21/04/2017

In absolute agreement. Unacceptable.

Read 1 Comment

“Security hell”

Written on: 13/02/2017 by Deirdra (1 review written)

Myself and my son arrived over 2 hours before our internal flight was due to depart. First hurdle was trying to find out which terminal we would be flying from, asked passer by. 2nd hurdle was trying to locate Flybe desks, asked passer by. Third hurdle, trying to online check in, asked Flybe representative who informs of the three machines only one was working, no out of order signs and several frustrated passengers attempting repeatedly to obtain their boarding passes whilst being observed by airport personnel! I enquired as to length of time myself and my son had before we needed to proceed to departures and Flybe representative informed me that we had plenty of time to go and eat and that we were very early for check in. We only had hand luggage and as it was only an hour internal flight time we assumed we wouldn't need to go to departure lounge very early. Very confusing signs around the airport, no directions to departures until you almost at departures, absolutely no information regarding schedule outgoing flights! No announcements either!? My son and I eventually found security only to be faced with a sea of people in a confused and chaotic queueing system. Airport staff shouting for passengers for certain flights, passengers being treated like livestock not customers. Trays with personal items being randomly shoved down shutes and ignored when appearing through the scanners. After about 20mins of queuing I became concerned that my son and I were going to miss our flight so I caught the attention of a member of airport staff who question my destination and flight departure time, she then hurried us to fast track, which wasn't fast enough! My son was frisked (he had jogging bottoms on and a tee shirt!! ) we waited and waited as we could our last of 7 trays that was still being ignored by security staff, eventually we managed to grab their attention and said that we were going to miss our flight, he very slowely checked my sons bag again. We had to run through departures to our gate and missed the flight as gate had just closed! The Flybe representative was extremely rude to me and my son and shouted "you're late!" "You've missed it!" "You're late!" Repeatedly. I explained that we had been held up in security for over 30mins and that was even after being fast tracked. Her attitude was that of a head mistress and she said in disbelief "well lets see what time you reached security!?" So frog marched myself and my son to an airport employee and asked him to look up what time we arrived at security. To which he checked and replied 35mins ago. She then scolded myself and my son saying that we should've been at security much earlier and that we would have to pay for an alternative flight. She then instructed us to go to arrivals. We went to arrivals and was then told by airport staff to go to the Flybe desk, we were then told to go to the airport information desk who then sent us back to Flybe desk. After 40mins at the Flybe desk we were issued with tickets for a later flight that I had to pay for. The Flybe representative in a patronising manner told me that some airlines insist that you wait at the gate! Two hours before your flight! ?? How on earth is that even possible at Manchester airport??? When you don't get information on which gate you should be heading to until it's time to board your flight???! I pointed out that her colleague had informed me that I had plenty of time to go and eat a meal with my son before making my way to departures to which she responded well if your flight was at midday that would probably be fine but at the time of day I was flying Manchester airport was always very busy because it is an " international airport" (patronising) I pointed out that this was my first flight from Manchester airport so how was I to know when the busiest times were and if that was the case why didn't her colleague inform me that I wouldn't have time to go and eat? If I hadn't have gone through the fast track at security I imagine it would've taken over hour and half to get through security, surely I should've been advised of this when it was one hour and forty five minutes before my flight that I was told that I had plenty of time. Every airport employee and Flybe employee made myself and my son feel we were to blame for missing our flight and absolutely no acknowledgment for responsibility for the chaos in security was mentioned! Ironically I was reading an article on the later flight that I had paid for in the inflight magazine regarding good customer service. One paragraph advised service providers that they need to empower their customers with knowledge to provide a good customer service! I have a daughter with severe disabilities and this was my first ever weekend break in 15 years for myself and my son, to have mother and son time away. Social care had paid for tickets to attend a football match at anfield and I paid for travel and accommodation. My outbound flight from Exeter to Manchester was delayed due to Flybe's computers being down which then caused myself and my son to miss the prepaid train journey from Manchester to Liverpool. An extra hour spent at Manchester airport, home journey 3 extra hours at Manchester airport, then added cost to my car parking at Exeter. The cost is bad enough but the fashion to which myself and my son were treated was disgusting! Absolutely no human compassion for our situation. My son had to endure yet another security frisk a second time round through to departures and we sat in despair as the boards flashed up information for our flight which was alternating from wait in lounge to boarding in 10 minutes to departure time 20.15 and so on for at least 20mins, the flight was scheduled to leave at 20.05 so why was the board saying departure time 20.15? Finally when the gate number appeared it was the gate furthest away from the lounge and according to the board at this time there were 3 x flights from three different airlines all departing from the same gate at the same time??? Two other passengers that had missed the same flight as us were on this flight and they were informed by a flight attendant who had been on the previous flight that they weren't concerned about us missing our flight as they knew there was a later one we could catch! They were also informed by airport staff that Flybe always depart late and that they were just unlucky that Flybe closed the gate earlier than they usually did. There were 19 available seats on the later flight maybe myself and my son and the two ladies that missed their flight helped in covering the cost of the next flight? My son and myself also had to move seats on the plane to distribute the weight! After the horrendous experience at Manchester airport I would rather pay the more expensive price to fly to John Lennon airport, in the long run it would save me money but also the immense stress myself and my son were put through and the humiliation of being treated like stupid livestock not CUSTOMERS!!!!

“Customers or cattle?”

Written on: 10/02/2017 by Jocelyn97 (1 review written)

Going out to Innsbruck there was supposedly extra security which at 6.00am took 1.5 hours of queuing. It took so long because they failed to man it and were using the time of thousands of passengers instead. On the return, we entered the customs hall and were directed by an airport employee to use only the biometric re entry procedure. when I said no, he lied and said no customs officer was available at the manned desks. After saying I would wait, he immediately opened a lane and I walked to the desk were a customs officer had been waiting all the time. I have used the airport 5 times over the last 12 months and on every occasion we have been treated as farm animals and not the customer who pays their wages.

“Customs at manchester”

Written on: 04/09/2016 by Frankiejo (1 review written)

I was very pleased to see how customs have made security tight. However I'm not pleased with the way people are treated going through customs. The security people are down right rude and ignorant. I fully appreciate how strict they have to be. But the way you are spoken to is absolutely disgraceful. Surely they can be nice to people..it doesn't cost anything. We're not all criminals. Thsey need training on manners and politeness. My sister and myself were disgusted the way we treat, there is just no need for it..they you feel like something on the bottom of their shoes, its disgraceful.I have to use Manchester because its my nearest airport..unfortunately I wish I didn't have to

Ginz57's Response to Frankiejo's Review

Written on: 25/06/2017

Hi with working at Manchester Airport the other side of the cin is that we are abused daily by customers who are rude and aggressive they blame the staff for them arriving late and for them leaving liquids in their bags. Passengers are asked before they enter security to remove all liquids out of bags, there are very big signs to inform them what to remove including liquids and electrical items, we have staff who prep passengers informing them to remove this items by the tray loading there are 9 feet signs and videos and also the tray loaders ask all passengers to remove same items but passengers are still surprised when their bags are rejected and then we have an argument with them over whether shampoo is a liquid and when 500ml is above the limit. Passengers treat us like something they have stepped on and we are suppose to soak it up. Then when we dare to answer back they threaten to report us and complain. Passengers need to treat us with respect . We are there for there safety we are tired with being told they don't do this in Heathrow or Germany or wherever.

Read 1 Comment

“Security Hell ”

Written on: 27/07/2016

Security Hell I am like the vast majority of people fully aware of the needs of security particularly in the current climate. I have been flying from Manchester Airport since the early 1980's and back then going to the airport was a joy, you were treated well and you felt really valued as a customer. Security check in was done with dignity and very quickly too. How times have changed but for the worse - now you feel no better than cattle. I have for the last 5 years been stopped at the scanner, yet I have no metal on me , no belt, watch anything whatsoever that should make the scanner buzz, yet lo and behold I'm stopped made to be frisked, take my shoes off anda couple of years ago I had the indignity of a male security staff putting his hands down my underpants ! When I said "what are you doing that for" his flippant reply was "what's wrong with you we are men here" The following year I was stopped by a lady after I left 3 small sachets of mayonnaise in my rucksack I was made to stand aside as if I was a naughty schoolboy. I waited for about ten minutes and thought enough of this nonsense when I started to walk off she stared at me with contempt, fortunately a senior spotted this and said it was okay to go. So basically no real necessity for me to wait it was of course a 'power trip' asserting her authority. This is indicative of what the problem is at the security check in at Manchester Airport. From what was such a pleasant start to the holiday experinence in the early days is now sadly an ordeal. If I had an alternative airport to choose then I would NOT use Manchester Airport.

“Manchester Airport Terminal 3 is always understaffed,...”

Written on: 01/07/2016 by AidenPutnam181 (1 review written)

Manchester Airport Terminal 3 is always understaffed, there are always queues for security and it's appearance is scruffy. I rate it as the worst terminal in any airport in UK, I wish Aer Lingus would move to Terminal 1 so that I never have to use T3 again.

“friendly a bb d gelpfull”

Written on: 30/06/2016 by DamarisCrabtree (1 review written)

Flying from terminal 1. Check in desk (Thomas cook) chatty and friendly. The hand baggage staff also chatty and friendly. I think a good way to assess an individual is to engage them in conversation. Good customer service and security in one .