Sharp FVDB1ES Reviews

Sharp FVDB1ES - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Sharp FVDB1ES

“Useless DAB receiver”

written by nwarren362 on 29/12/2012

I've had this Sharp FVDB1 radio for a few years. It has never provided good DAB reception. I thought it was due to a weak signal but have since bought other DAB radios and had no problem with reception. The radio looks nice - but it's completely useless.

“Had same problem as previous reviewer - won't tune...”

written by benn1234 on 12/01/2008

Had same problem as previous reviewer - won't tune in,can't manually find stations, totally useless. Owned for 2 years with very little usage. Was never very good at finding signals and then would often be poor quality sound.

“Would not recommend the Sharp FVDB1ES dab. Expensive...”

written by colinjduncan on 22/11/2007

Would not recommend the Sharp FVDB1ES dab. Expensive and very hard to work. The back up battery fails after 3/4 months. This causes the unit to stop working even when on mains. I returned THREE of them before I tried in despair and fixed it myself. Currys had no idea.

“It appears to have been an inferior product which had...”

written by rodowen on 11/09/2007

It appears to have been an inferior product which had catastrophic failure.
Sharp accepted no responsibility as it was outside the warranty period. I won't touch Sharp again.

“I will have to return my Sharp FVDB1ES for a full...”

written by gordp on 08/05/2006

I will have to return my Sharp FVDB1ES for a full refund and may have to look elsewhere for a better performing model.

“I have now owned my Sharp FVDB1ES radio for a couple...”

written by MDB1 on 17/03/2005

I have now owned my Sharp FVDB1ES radio for a couple of months. Two prime factors for replacing my previous model were that I had no sleep facility on the previous make, and whilst going to sleep with the radio on is nice, having it on all night was something I could not cope with.

The Sharp allows you set to for sleep turn off upto 90 mins ahead. Unfortunately, despite every attempt I have made to date, I do not seem to be able to use the alarm set to radio to wake me up in the morning and use the sleep setting at night. One or the other it seems, so sleep setting it is.

The other reason for changing radios was that my old one was rather large - the Sharp is not the smallest around, but is a distinct improvement and does not take up too much of the bedside table.

The one real negative, is that whilst my old unit got excellent signal strength with out really having to use the fitted aeriel, the Sharp need to have it fully extended to pull in good reception.

However, overall I am delighted with the unit so far.

208549_Scruffpot's Response to MDB1's Review

Written on: 01/09/2005

Just bought this unit, richer sounds, 50 quid not bad I thought, (update my dab from a psion wavefinder) not bad unit, sound is alright for the price and size, has an optical out had it so plugged into my videologic digitheatre and used the dolby digital on the theatre to use it in 5.1 v impressed with the quality of the digital. It now sits in my room plugged into a separtae system using the line out so I have the choice of using my v good speakers to just using the internal speakers on the radio when listening in bed, without even talking out the jacks. v good for the price if u want a good radio with out puts, clock alarm with fm included and your on a budget.

Nigel L's Response to MDB1's Review

Written on: 02/10/2005

This model is not the best around if you live in an area where DAB reception is marginal. I live on the Surrey/Hants border and the Sharp's DAB receiver struggled to latch onto the signals. Also the FM functionality seemed to be a cheap bolt on.
<br>
<br>I exchanged the Sharp for a Sony XDR-S1, which, although ugly to look at and a flawed design, is many times better at pulling in the weaker DAB signals.

Read 2 Comments