Volkswagen Golf 4Motion Reviews

Media Gallery for Volkswagen Golf 4Motion

Volkswagen Golf 4Motion
Volkswagen Golf 4Motion

“Great car for city”

Written on: 16/12/2017 by John_SE (6 reviews written)

Great car for everyday use. Using it for 4 years already.

“Top motor, so good I bought two”

Written on: 15/03/2012 by Jezza99 (1 review written)

I had a standard 4motion for 2 years after 3 gti's as I wanted the next best golf. I had a fantastic time and did some simple mods to make it better - better shocks, stainless exhaust and K&N air filter. These made a real difference. After a good year at work I fancied something even sillier and found a supercharged version, the original ABT demo car from 2000, so flew to scotland and bought it. This is properly daft, 290 bhp in a golk, lowered sports shocks, full milltek system, front spoiler and complete leather luxury inside. My ultimate motor.

“Fact is.... I Love My V6 4Motion Golf!”

Written on: 08/09/2011 by dondon8128 (1 review written)

As a female I was looking for a car y'know that looked good, had abit of poke to it but most of all was reliable, reasonable insurance & not to expensive to run. A little over 3 years ago I sold my BMW 1.8 compact which I loved & thought i'd upgrade to a slightly bigger engined BMW. I thought wrong! A friend of mine was selling this car and although i liked the look of it, i knew it was abit of a monster! Anyway to cut a long story short, i gave the machine a test drive on local roads and ended up heading towards the M32 so thought [email protected]%K IT lets see what this car can do. I was blown away, I fell in love, although at times I do have a love/hate relationship with him (my baby as I refer to him) thats only because the fuel prices going up up up, and yeah insurance aint cheap either, but to me he's well worth it for the sheer delight i get everytime i get in that drivers seat..........MINT!

“Was browsing in the autopark looking for a GTI and as...”

Written on: 31/07/2010

Was browsing in the autopark looking for a GTI and as i strolled past the V6 4motion badge at the rear of this car caught my eye, just had to buy it and i got to say its a great car, lovely to drive with all the thrills of a sporty sort of car with the brucey bonus of a really nice all leather interior and all the gadgets you get with a top of the range car, a great car, i have nicknamed her "Paris" reason being because she looks great and nice to handle but she really is very expensive to maintain, all in all though a lovely car great to drive in any driving scenario.

ps. she is also a bit of a guzzler but have converted to LPG with great results.

Guest's Comment

Written on: 17/07/2011

What was the cost of converting to LPG as i just brought the same car

Read 1 Comment

“I bought my golf 4motion from new, at a discount, when...”

Written on: 28/05/2010

I bought my golf 4motion from new, at a discount, when the mark5 came out. I thought the mark4 was better built. However, you buy this car for the engine and 4 wheel drive. I've had mine six years and still enjoy driving it. It pulls in any gear at any speed. I once accelerated from 100 to 120 and could have gone on if I had not run out of road. Also the four wheel drive means all the power gets used without wheel spin. You can floor it on a wet road and out run most cars and the tyres last longer.

If you have tried one and found it a bit sluggish, it could be a split air pipe on the engine. I suffered that and lost performance very gradually until the fault was picked up by the garage. As for the short first gear, just give it some revs and change into third.

The car is also very comfortable, well put together and I prefer it without the badges, it's more fun at traffic lights.

I get 22ish mpg in town and 32mpg on the motorway using cruise control. You can pick up a good one for around 5k so if you don't drive too many miles per year it's affordable fun motoring.

Outofthedark's Comment

Written on: 22/11/2012

is it best to change engine air filter to inhance performance on a 4motoin golf,mines 2004,wont to keep origanal,but tech as moved on,do i fit k+n or simular to a 2.8 v6,please let me know thank you if you can help

Read 1 Comment

“bought mine off a jack the lad, who didnt knw what he...”

Written on: 26/05/2010

bought mine off a jack the lad, who didnt knw what he had, clucth was gone, got it sorted, full service + haldex, and i havent looked back in 4 yrs, despite owning v fast leon cupras, 1.8t mk4, 200+ bhp clio sports, megane f1 in that time i just cannot let go of her, the sheer sound of the engine on a good blast throught a tunnell makes hairs on ur neck stand up, the grip an saftey of the 4wd as u power slide it round a ronda bout 4 the second time, yeeehaaaa, my only bad points have been coil paks, it maybe thirsty at times,but if u behave shes good to go 29.32 mpg av rnd twn, if ur a real petrol head this is a car to experiance.

“GOLF 2.8 V6 4motion 2001 (51) black ”

Written on: 13/11/2009

GOLF 2.8 V6 4motion 2001 (51) black

I was looking for a car without all the body kits (growing up!!) but with a V6 as i love the sound of a real engine and not a 4pot turbo and this along with perm.4 wheel drive does the job well and is a good starting point for people who want a decent engine and vw build. Its 2.8 is smaller than the r32 but I picked mine up for around £3.5k! while the r32 is still selling over 8/9k and this isn't far behind in power and speed maybe 0.6 of a second. The thing i love mosts is its power and torque for a small car and people who don't know cars wouldn't know you have a well built sports car under the plain exterior, only give away is a slight lowering and small body kit similar to the standard gti. oh and the lovely v6 4motion badge and twin chrome pipes you have to keep clean!! I see so many awful black exhausts and it doesnt look right. The o-62 is around 7secs but mine I know canes new gti's/cooper s that are supposed to be the same so i actually think the v6 gets better with age! Overall a lovely deep sporty sounding tick when stationery and a mean scream when at 6000 revs!! 2nd 3rd and 4th especially when dropping a gear at a roundabout..a hidden stealth car to beat most cars in this price range hands down!Don't buy this if you don't like your local petrol station as it is thirsty when fast but not too bad if you keep in low gears and cruise. Oh and its rare only a fraction of these were made compared to gti's and I have only seen 2 in 18 mths driving and don't be fooled by the cheaper v5 basic this is a different car in terms of handling (4motion) and power (V6.Hope this helps..craig

“Volkswagen Golf 4Motion is a Great car to drive, but...”

Written on: 26/09/2009

Volkswagen Golf 4Motion is a Great car to drive, but they look a bit boring standard , So I spent a couple of grand upgrading mine fitting- R32 alloy wheels, anniversary 180 body kit, iduction kit,decent exhaust and had it chipped it looked and sounded stunning, but i had nothing but trouble with it! It had squeaky suspension which vw and another gargae couldn`t find a fault with? I`ve heard that many people have had this trouble with the mk4 golf! The cooling fans packed up and the car over heated £800 then not long after i could only started by jump start that was the final straw! So I went for a mk3 golf gti, not nearly as nice to drive but more realiable less to go wrong and alot cheaper to run!
But i would still go for a 4mo in the future when the prices drop to around 1.5-2k ,but it would have to have good history and leather and R32 alloys set the car off.

Alanv247's Comment

Written on: 03/11/2012

not to be funny as not your fault ,however the temp gauge should help you not to overheat engine, the noise was probably a lower control arm joint they are inexpensive to replace.

Read 1 Comment

“Fast, comfortable, safe, reliable and fun..the total...”

Written on: 01/09/2009

Fast, comfortable, safe, reliable and fun..the total all round package.
Servicing...just had a local independant do the full 60k service for £291 including haldex oil and filter more than half the price vw quoted. Do not use vw it does not affect the resale value should you wish to sell.
Faults...not many,1st gear is very short, some squeaking from the seats, quite a low car beware bottoming out, very precise steering means some wind sheer at motorway speeds unladen,thats it really apart from mpg around town really.
Pros...torque... pulls extremely well in any gear, corners very quickly, build/paint quality and safety is second to none. Reliability......excellant as you would expect.
Extras...only buy one with the leather interior heated seats or it defeats the idea of getting the all round package and fit a vw mfd sat nav system £250.
Better than the civic type r I had before but I guess Im getting older now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

“My and my partner went to look for a car that i could...”

Written on: 10/08/2009 by laurabelcher (1 review written)

My and my partner went to look for a car that i could use at work and i picked out out Golf and had never looked back. Previously to this i had a Corsa SRi and i cant understand why! I love my Golf V6 and its so unique because a previous owner had a full body kit on it... ours is the only registered one in the city where we live!!
In hindsight, i'd have liked to do some research because ours has a squeaky suspension now and the garage cant figure out the problem.
Love the car, and its working economically when i drive it as opposed to my other half!

Guest's Response to 477183_laurabelcher's Review

Written on: 27/02/2012

the squeaky suspension is the original anti roll bars,they had a plastic bushing attached to the bar,this is the culprit,the new ones don't.

Read 1 Comment

“I had the Mk 3 GTi16v for 6 yrs, until someone...”

Written on: 15/06/2009 by MJQ (1 review written)

I had the Mk 3 GTi16v for 6 yrs, until someone rear-ended it to a write-off. Spend ages looking for the thrills, and finally got the Mk4 V6 4motion. It is an absolute pleasure to drive. A real gentlemans car. Its discreet looks may not appeal to all. It relies on good petrol and quality tyres.
If you are looking for fuel-economy, dont buy this car!
Service through independent garages cost less, and my one does an excellent job.

“The VW Golf 4Motion is a legendary car that made the...”

Written on: 18/05/2009

The VW Golf 4Motion is a legendary car that made the hot hatches what they are, very reliable, and powerful.

“The Volkswagen Golf 4Motion just doesn't have the...”

Written on: 02/04/2009

The Volkswagen Golf 4Motion just doesn't have the finesse of the pd150, or the outright brutality of the R32. My superb GTI pd 150 was written off when a van driver fell asleep at the wheel. I looked long and hard for a replacement and my heart led me buy V6 4Motion. To be honest I found it to be a disappointment and traded it two months later for an R32 which turned out to be phenomenal.

“I bought my MK4 4motion 2,3 V5 (150hp) since 7months....”

Written on: 19/01/2009

I bought my MK4 4motion 2,3 V5 (150hp) since 7months. The one that impressed me much was the very good performance, based on the 4motion system. It really gives you more stability, than more of the other cars. This, combine with good tires would bring you to drive very crazy! :-P Have fun

“Starts first time, and takes 5 minutes of driving to...”

Written on: 04/11/2008

Starts first time, and takes 5 minutes of driving to wake itself up minor creaks groans all disappear like when you wake up from your bed really. Feels like you ' re in something safe, English weather. 90% wet even safer, eps, abs, 4 doors, and leather, sat nav, and heated seats. Motorway eats the miles, school run kids love it. Day off on Sunday find some B roads and push it, scoobies and civics are on your behind but cant overtake and when you get confident in the corners you loose them and then they are back again behind you! Lest be honest English roads are either wet, bendy, traffic gridlocked, traffic lighted, roundabouted, caravanned, speed camered, and so the only time fast cars overtake you is on the dual carriageways for about 5 miles before they have to slow down or Motorways. Where they take a chance with the doubtful traffic skills of all types. Other day off down to the tip with a washing machine in the back! You pay for what you get.... expect high running costs for something really good and keep it forever! And if I suppose I wanted to swap for a similar year spec Ford or Vauxhall I would get three of each because of the residual value and it works out better value.

“The Volkswagen Golf 4Motion is the best car I ever...”

Written on: 21/05/2008 by MisterAndy (1 review written)

The Volkswagen Golf 4Motion is the best car I ever had, it's nice looking forward to a long trip, safe and comfortable. We had road works outside our village for a year and there was mud all over, you could pull out and fly up the hill without a hint of wheel spin. Had a couple of problems with the coil packs, the dealer was fantastic, even after the warranty was out they replaced the packs at no cost and apologised for the car letting me down. Only Gordon Brown spoils this car.

“I've had my v6 4motion VW Golf for jus about a year...”

Written on: 15/05/2008

I've had my v6 4motion VW Golf for jus about a year now, overall the car is very comfortable to drive especially on the motorways as it picks up speed very quickly to over take and also drives very smoothly and stable at high motorway speeds. The only thing I don € t really like about the car is the 1st gear is very short and cuts out at 30mph...Compared to the mk3 vr6 which cuts out at 45mph.

“Quick a-b car, no turbo lag found in alternatives -...”

Written on: 21/04/2008

Quick a-b car, no turbo lag found in alternatives - good torque at low revs.. Get aftermarket anti roll bar's - makes a big difference} not an Evo, but hard to beat at this price range.

“This is my 5th VW Golf, replacing my Mk3 1-9 tdi with...”

Written on: 27/01/2008 by dazzag (1 review written)

This is my 5th VW Golf, replacing my Mk3 1-9 tdi with 220k and 52 mpg (avg). I have gone for the MK5 2-0 tdi 4 motion (07). I know technology has moved on but this car is amazing. The 4 motion system gives you real confidence when hard cornering. I have to admit fuel consumption is a concern with todays oil prices, I would say on the average consumption your looking at 40 mpg and taking it easy 62mph ish your up at around 50 mpg which is pretty good, considering the car has nearly 50% more power.

“excellent car”