Holmfirth, Holme Valley Camping And Caravan Park Reviews

Holmfirth, Holme Valley Camping And Caravan Park - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Holmfirth, Holme Valley Camping And Caravan Park

“"Could do better"”

written by on 28/07/2013

My wife and I stayed here for a week as I was working in the area. The site is poorly signed, with just a small sign off the road. The entrance road is very pot holed and in desperate need of repair, its a tight squeeze to avoid overhanging branches too. The site consists of a couple of camping fields and the main caravan area. We were lucky to be given a very good spot, right next to a small river, and with a mixed stone and grass pitch, ideal for the awning, etc. Facilities are basic, the pitches are not fully serviced, so there is a walk to get water and an even longer one to empty the grey water, etc. The majority of the site consists of 'seasonal' caravans and motorhomes, although it does appear to be a permanent site for many, one guy I spoke to had lived there for 7 years. Toilet and washing facilities are basic, you have to pay for a shower (30p token), and there are only two. On the plus side there is a well stocked shop, charging 'normal' prices, and there is a 'butty van' by the lake (which is the centre point of the site) it is open from about 0730 until late, serving breakfasts and evening (fast) meals, this was very clean. As mentioned the lake is the centre point of the site and is very popular with fishermen. It was a friendly site and everyone passed the time of day. There is a new centre being built on site, but this appears to have ground to a halt! On the whole not a bad site, could be better, gets very crowded at weekends, and could do with some investment being made into its infrastructure.

“gill”

written by gill83 on 27/06/2013

stayed there 22nd--24th June-2013 thought it was brill,nice cosy setting buy the river,in my tent.thought showers were alright,but be even better when new block is up and running.snack bar on site is brill and run by two do anything for you sought of people,nothing is to much trouble,maybe because he is a chef by trade.lovely walks,great woods near buy.nice lake,can even do a bit of fishing if you wish.nice people,easy to talk too.very pleasant,the shop is well stocked two.will definitely go back for another visit.RECOMMEND,

“Poor for Dog Owners”

written by Hoggster911 on 31/05/2013

Myself and some friends selected this lovely location due to it being 'very' dog friendly, however all the main parts of the park were designated as lead walking only - every field on the park had a notice that said NO Dog Walking allowed. There was one area within the wooded section that dogs were allowed, however this was not very large for a good distance walk. We were all pitched in a nice small field, with only one other camper who also had a dog and we were all happy for the dogs to run free, in and out of our tents, however we were told this was not allowed and that we had to keep our dogs on leads. I understand the policy, but don't see why they cant be flexible when NONE of the campers objected? All in all - a lovely location with good amenities, perfect for families, but not the best for those holidaying with their dogs.

“Not bad at all.”

written by lynnelou on 29/05/2013

Been here for may bank holiday weekend. The drive on could be very much improved, lots of pot holes and the tree's could do with being cut back quite a bit.Apart from that its OK. Only 2 showers and hot water ran out quite early but we just waited a bit longer and showered later. Lovely sitting around the pond/lake, but like any other site, could be miserable if it was cold and wet. The shop is well stocked and reasonably priced. The budget van is a bit unsightly, but really handy for the portion of chips to go with your BBQ.The people were nice enough. All in all a decent site, seen better, seen worse.

“DO NOT GO TO THIS CAMPSITE, VERY RUDE OWNER !!!”

written by on 27/05/2013

We have just returned from this campsite and would definitely never ever go back due to the complete and utter rudeness of the woman that owns it. On the first night she came round and demanded more money from us, £1 each, despite us already having paid the correct amount. On the second night she came round again at least 3 times in the evening, we had had a barbecue (properly raised off the ground so as not to burn the grass), we had eaten and the coals were cooling. She accused us very rudely of having a campfire and when we pointed out it was a barbecue she said it wasn't a barbecue as there was no food, to which we replied we had eaten it !!! She also spoke to one of our friends' children in a terrible manner which really upset them. She went round to at least 2 other groups on the site and when we spoke to them afterwards they also said she had been very rude to them for no reason. The site facilities are ok, a little shabby and could do with some updating. There are steep steps down from the top field which are very slippy when it's wet and the road leading down to the site could definitely do with some work as the potholes are dreadful. The site is in a lovely location but the whole thing is ruined by the owner. Big points to the snack bar/van, the people running it are great but unfortunately I don't think we will ever see them again.

“cannabis farm”

written by on 10/05/2013

This is supposed to be a 4 star rated family park, luckly I went with my husband first without our small children because there is NO way I would take children here. There are not many pitches left for tourists because most of them are taken by people who I can only say live there, with all kinds of stuff around their caravans and motorhomes, a lot of these people look down their noses at people wanting to have a little holiday, its as if you shouldn't be on their little council estate, that's what it looks like. Not that many people would want to be near the estate bit where the people live because it absolutely stinks of cannabis they must be constantly high the lot of them. Even the play area is amongst the people who live there, which is wrong because you couldn't let your children go on there own, you don't know who is about lately. I can only hope that the owners do police checks etc before letting these people live on a site which is intended for families to go on a relaxing holiday. I do have to say that the shop is well stocked with everything you might need for your stay and reasonably priced too, the showers are nice and big, even if there is only 2 of them, but avoid between 5 and 7 at night because that's when the people who live there come back from work and take over. It could be a nice site if it was cleaned up and a few improvements here and there, the biggest one being getting rid of the council estate because it will put people off coming back, and there would be some lovely camping pitches because they have all the best ones.

“Unfair reviews............”

written by B.Williams on 04/05/2013

Hi all, I read the reviews on this site and felt I had to give my experiences of the site as the reviews seem a bit one sided. I have been twice before ,last year and the year before and have just come back from an overnight stay. Yes previously I noticed that some of the long term residents caravans would have benefited from a jet wash -green algae on the roof ect and some really old vehicles. These seem to have been removed and the caravans are now all clean and well presented. The site itself was busy . It has its main track curving around the mill pond splitting the site in two. You can camp right next to the pond on three sides. There is a big field next to a stream like river , and a smaller sloping field. An adequate shop selling beer,wine and spirits,warm clean shower/toilets,phone, laundry . The little play area is very basic an would only amuse the smallest toddlers with a little slide and climbing frame but is clean and litter free as was the whole site. I am no fisherman but caught a couple of decent size roach today and yesterday on sweetcorn (a tip from the owners .I was on maggot and got nothing). There were four other groups of adults and kids who all caught fish . One lad did really well so there is stuff in there ,though I didn't see any carp or surface indication of any. The pond is the normal mill pond type of the area muddy green coloured but not algae,there were no flies,midges but it is early. The site is compact, picturesque ,set in woodland, with plenty of water taps. The lane is a bit tight but there is two entrances right next to each other on the main road and if you are approaching from Holmefirth the second entrance is easier,I don't want to make out that its a difficult site to enter though as it isn't. The owners have only ever been pleasant towards both my wife and myself ,I have dealt with two ladies and a young girl who were helpful and polite. this year they have a snack bar type caravan the type you see at festivals,doing bacon butties etc at reasonable prices. The site suits us as we live quite close and its fishing in the country on our doorstep. It would make a good base for exploring the Yorkshire /Lancashire area and the little town of Holmefirth down the road has some nice pubs and the old cinema has tribute bands and old pop,rock,folk bands and this site would be great for seeing stuff like that as its only a mile in a taxi. There isn't much for kids to do apart from fish or a kickabout on the field but that's true of a lot of sites,the ones I have been on with amusements ,bar etc can get rowdy,the children that were there seemed to be having a great time whizzing around on bikes and scooters. The road though it can get busy with people coming and going so with that and the pond /river kids are best supervised. I paid £17.50 for one night in a campervan with awning and £3 for a day fishing. I have paid the same for a windswept field in Wales with no pond but plenty of flies from the stream, I am not calling Wales ,I am welsh myself and have camped all over Wales and this site compares favorably. Its in my opinion an good ,average site ,well run with pleasant staff. If you want a quite site to sit outside your van/tent and have a bbq and a drink after fishing or a bag of chips from down the road then you could do worse,its a long walk to the beach though.

Liveisgreat's Response to B.Williams's Review

Written on: 08/05/2013

Don't mean to be funny but you seam to go into great detail of the park,telling us where everything is and how much it is, and how great the nasty staff are, its as if you own it and are trying your hardest to get some customers back after all the ones you lost because lets face it the green longterm caravans of people who live there (mainly workmen thundering out at 6am in the morning) is the least of the sites worries, it is basically a dump, the little play area may be rubbish free but it is used quite a lot by the residents cats and dogs as their toilet.which cant be good if children happen to fall in it.

when you say "The site suits us as we live quite close" then you should know how to spell Holmfirth (without the e)
I do apologise if I am wrong and you are a real customer, but reading the way you have written it, it just sounds like a brouchure

B.williams's reply to Liveisgreat's Comment

Written on: 08/05/2013

Well, you don't mean to be funny, but you gave us a right laugh at your sanctimonious criticism of my spelling considering your half a dozen or so grammatical and spelling errors.

Pots and kettles .eh? Don't worry i,m not that bright meself.

Right.

I do not own ,run or have any personal or professional connection with the site or anyone on it.

If my critique sounds like a brochure to you then that is because you have read my post with eyes tainted by your own experience but have chosen not to acknowledge what I personally feel are the more negative aspects of camping at this site.

We can all of us only speak from experience and all I have done is try to give a helpful and honest account of our short stays there.

If you say the play area is used as a dogs toilet then I believe you... that is a serious matter and is worthy of comment , I would certainly have informed the owner of that fact myself , my comments were drawn only from observing it when passing by and maybe I should have been clearer on that ,we were two adults visiting so did not use the play area.

As for the rest of my views, well , I stand by them .

I am not saying anyone's comments are wrong , in fact if you read my post you will see I pointed out that when I first visited it did have an air of neglect ,the problems though seem to have been rectified in that respect.

I also pointed out things like it does have a road running through it which can get busy and that there are a few water hazards so children should be supervised.

A review site is just that ,somewhere for everyone to give their own personal impression of a service or product so that others may make an informed judgement before availing themselves of the services or goods on offer.

I thought I had done that fairly.

I have no axe to grind with the owners nor do I owe them any favours , I just wanted to leave a balanced view of the site based on my opinions formed by staying there.

My view may be different on another day ,then I will post again and may agree with you on more things. .

Until then you are maybe best accepting that there are people out there who honestly do believe that their experience of something has been different from your own.

I guess its horses for courses really and my standards must be a fair degree lower than yours, but hey ,i,m a happy camper.

Cheers.

“Residential Camp”

written by on 25/11/2012

This camp is full of residents in old caravans dodging council tax and the tv licensing department. The owner is rude, the way she spoke to my daughter was shocking. We would NEVER recommend anyone stays at this park (I mean dump). Some very odd residents here, one male resident scared my wife with the way he was watching her and looking at her, it was like something out of a horror film, he had his partner with him and she was also very strange. We booked for the weekend and left after only 1 night, keep the money as we're were so fast away we did not care and nor did we think we would get a refund with the owners attitude anyway. Do not stay here, think Friday 13th style of place......

“Weekend stay over”

written by on 04/09/2012

My Husband and myself along with three dogs choose the site because it looked roomy and ideal for walking both dogs and ourselves. My inlaws came along as well in a camper van, we where towing a 6 berth caravan. We had asked for adjoing pithces which we got but because of the length of our caravan we have to pitch at an angle hence so did everyone else on the small pitch. When we arrived there where only two units in front of us and we where looking at the pond, which sounds good but on the second day another four units where parked in front of us and all that we could then see where the back of each of the trailers or campers. These where virtually 6 to 7 feet away from us. We didnt have room to 'peg out' out the dogs because the next unit to us also had to park at an angle, after clearing our table and chairs we could just about get past the car next door. One of my dogs did a bit of dash out of the door of the caravan and promptly jumped up at one of the receptionsist, who scowled at me and reminded me in front of other campers that dogs should be on leads at all times. If I had a little more room and they could have been outside, before taking the dog he would have been on a lead. However the walks along the river where very enjoyabe and the dogs loved it. The shop was adequate and staff helpful. The toilets are very dated but clean and tidy even when people with muddy feet choose not to clean they footwear before entering, there is a new amenities block being built. Which looks great however reading the booklet be prepared for a price hike. They already seem to charge for absolutely everything on there including visiting guests and cars should you have some visitors. We where charged 1.50 a night just to unroll the sun canopy - we would have used just the same area with or without the canopy. The directions to the place leave a little to be desired, and the sign for the camp needs to be much bigger and more on view. Also the last straw is that the entrance must have been desinged when caravans where no more than 15 feet long maybe two births, we scraped our van on the entrance which has dry stone walls so obviously some of the at the bottom where sticking out. An array of friendly campers and caravaners helped us to get free and warned us that the entrance even further was a bit of a nightmare also as there was building work going on, and yes it was. Being directed to our pitch we had to negotiate a large tree with overhanding branches which we just missed with the aerial and roof. Only to be told 'we have taken one branch away' may I suggest you take another couple of branches away also. The weather was fine and dry but even so our 'hard standing' pitch was muddy and messy and having dogs made every trip out and back a military operation. But thanks to the all the people who helped and the friendlyness of the fellow campers who where all very pleasant polite and friendly. This was our first trip to Yorkshire, and although we will head that way again we will cetainly not be going to Holme Valley. Last weekend in August 2012

“Probably the worst camping and caravan site in the world !”

written by on 23/07/2012

Finally the sun was shining, the kids had just broken up from school, so we decided to spend a couple of days under canvas and fancied heading off to the "Last of the Summer Wine" country for the weekend as a treat. Having quickly looked at a number of site locations on the ukcampsite.co.uk beforehand, we stumbled upon this site, checked availability and headed off. It was in the right location, sounded ideal and appeared to have had a few good reviews in the past. However, having spent the weekend there, it'll be a long time before I trust another review from this site again and WE WILL CERTAINLY NOT BE RETURNING TO THE HOLME VALLEY CAMPING AND CARAVANING SITE AGAIN IN THE FUTURE! Whilst the site itself has huge potential, a few fields set in a woodland location, with the added advantage of the river Holme wrapping round the site, and a fishing pond, the site itself is extremely run down, unkempt, tired, dirty and covered in duck poo! The kids play area (if you can call it that) was so dirty that our daughter needed a shower and change of clothes after spending just a few minutes playing there. With this said, the showers were also so dirty and cold that we would have been better off washing her in the river! The site is shared with a large number of residents, who live in very large caravans located under the trees. These were very neglected and had turned green and brown from algae growth (that's the caravans and awnings not the residents by the way). We thought that they looked absolutely filthy, however, although they were probably the worse kept caravans in the world they actually fitted in quite nicely on this park. The fishing pond is also a joke and completely green with algae, thriving midges, mosquitos and ducks. We were told that there were fish in there by one poor sole who was unlucky enough to be sat around it with his rod fighting off a million midges and mossies. However, he did manage to inform us that none of the fish in the pond had lips anymore! Whilst we can only speculate that the green murky scum also hides a few shopping trolleys and perhaps a number of past residents (read on) - it really was quite disgusting and produced an unbelievable number of midges that spread across the park throughout the day - all of which appear to have venomous appetites – as we found out on the night! Having read some of the reviews on this site upon our return, it is quite clear I could (and should) have saved us from all this place as there are so many negative and poor comments about this site, along with an unprecidented number of comments relating to how horrible the owner is. Be in no doubt the reviews are all accurate, the site is extremely unpleasant and the Owner is absolutely horrid. We consider ourselves to be happy, outgoing people who tend to get on with anyone, however, we have never met such an obnoxious, disrespectful and argumentative person in all of our travels. Not only does she make no effort whatsoever to make you feel welcome, is totally impolite and discourteous, from what we witnessed in our dealings with her and in seeing how she has treat other campers and caravanners on the site, it is quite clear that she vehemently hates dealing with her customers and has no intention of being helpful. We got talking to the people who were staying next to us as they decided to pack up late in the afternoon even though the sun was shinning, and they told us that the reason why they were leaving early was because she had shouted at their kids whilst they were in the shop getting a couple of ice lollies and made one of them cry. Suffice to say, after learning about this we decided to pack up early as well. We all hated the place and couldn’t pack up quick enough to get away from it. We wouldn’t recommend this site to anyone whilst it is in such a state and being managed by such a horrible lady! WE WILL NOT BE RETURNING TO THE HOLME VALLEY CAMPING AND CARAVAN SITE AGAIN. PROBABLY THE WORST CAMPING AND CARAVAN SITE IN THE WORLD!

Metzgerhund's Comment

Written on: 14/05/2013

Oh my, we went to this campsite over seven years ago and we were told off by the owner of this campsite for playing out music too loud. We were having a nice evening chat with our neighbours and she came round the site with her dog and told us off. It was ridiculous and we have not been back since.

“Avoid at all costs!!!”

written by Campalot on 12/06/2012

Having just returned from this site I was truly shocked at how bad it was!. After reading through some of the previous reviews I was expecting a well presented site however I was extremely disappointed, think Gypsie camp and it will give you some idea. The road ,if you can call it that, is narrow steep and full of deep potholes and the pitches are either swamp like (grass) or dirty and badly maintained (hard standing) you really do need to take your shoes off at the door or risk ruining your carpets.As for the residential vans (yes people actually live here!) they are dirty and all packed together under the trees with several having collection of scrap (old fridges and the like) outside of them. As you walk around the park you get some very strange smells emanating from some of the vans, I can only imagine what their smoking. As for the toilet and shower block whilst clean they are very dated and if your not up early you will end up with a cold shower and there are no were near enougth facilities for the number of pitches. The shop is however well stocked and quite cheap for a site shop but don't expect any smiles from the owner who likes to talk down to everybody like a child. I'm sorry I can't be more positive but this place really is disgusting and I will never return, which is a shame because the area itself is quite beautiful and there aren't many sites in the area.

“DO NOT GO!!!!!!!!!!”

written by Leedsznk on 13/05/2012

After booking this camp for 1weeks break with our caravan how disappointed were we!!! . The so called fishing lake was an absolute joke they claim to have upto 30lb carp,tench,bream, mmm..... All there was was ages stunted roach what kids had been bashing around for years. The shop on site was ok apart from the very rude girl they had working in there. After speaking to the neighbours we had they were very disappointed too and will not be returning. We did book for a week,, but we left after 2 nights as could not stand it any more to me it was a total mess lots of old caravans all over, the information for this site needs updating as it is nothing like they say it is. We will never return to is site or tell fiends about it.

“choices”

written by on 19/08/2011

booked this campsite 'Holme Valley Camping and caravan park' as it is the only one near to Holmfirth where we wanted to visit with our touring caravan, pity there is no other site as i certainly wouldn't recommend this one to anyone, old tatty caravans that had been there years, i swear a tree was growing out of the top of one of the awnings and an old brown bus that everyone called 'the brothel', shop was OK can't say the lady was rude but it was rather small inside and a bit on the tatty side, for fishing lake, read 'duck pond' as that is all it was and extremely dirty looking, camping field is a good size and popular the weekend we stayed, caravanners next door to us were so disgusted they pulled off a day soon as they couldn't stand anymore of it and if we hadn't been occupied with sightseeing most of the time we would have called it a day and went home, Holmfirth is great, get the tour bus outside of Sid's cafe and make your trip more interesting.

“Stay away”

written by on 04/07/2011

We have visited this site on many occasions but this time will be the last..The woman owner is very rude and very bossy, she has the personality of a dead fish and should be thrown back into the pond (which by the way is green) The cost for two people is £18, the shop is very expensive and the cleaners have to clean the toilet block at one oclock in the morning! How bizare is that? The caravan park is full of drunken residents with dirty old caravans, think gypsies and you will be close! STAY AWAY this is not a place to relax!

Guest's Comment

Written on: 30/07/2011

I disagree with these comments, our caravan is onsite is well looked after very clean.The campsite is very relaxing,owerns and staff are friendley and helpfull.We only live in Oldham and find the site very good,well located clean and shop is cheaper than most.Def rec.Phil &Linda.

“absoloutly fantastic camping site great for familys...”

written by on 04/05/2011

absoloutly fantastic camping site great for familys with children reminded me of the days people used to join together. would say people who dont have children and dont enjoy being around them should think about camping else where.shop and facilities are great and lovely sights.
holmfirth is a drive away but worth a steady wander around really quiant.

“Stayed here Feb, as all year site. This site COULD be...”

written by on 03/03/2011

Stayed here Feb, as all year site. This site COULD be nice. River, woods small pond, camp shop sounds good? Yes until you realise that there are 'residents' here. Caravans with awnings that are filthy, and have obviously been on the site for a long time. We even saw an awning with a wooden frame inside it and a wooden door on (cleverly covered by the awning but not clever enough as we saw a man hanging a door on it) This 'awning' has a chimney coming thru the roof!! (not sure what under it) The'resident' caravans all have large propane bottles outside them too - seems dangerous to me. A caravan slum is a good description of this site - not cheap either!!

“WHAT CAN I SAY ABOUT HOLME VALLEY WELL I CAN SAY I...”

written by Bradley Meggison on 21/09/2010

WHAT CAN I SAY ABOUT HOLME VALLEY WELL I CAN SAY I FIRST WENT BACK IN 2004 WITH MY UNLCE ON A FISHING TRIP.I REALLI ENJOYED MY SELF SINCE THEN I HAVE BEEN BACK TO THIS CAMPSITE ABOUT 30 TIMES AND THINK IT IS A REALLI PEACEFULL SITE APART FROM THE MAIN ROAD. PEOPLE SAY THE LADY OWNER WHO RUNS THE SHOP IS VERY RUDE THIS HAS NEVER BEEN THE CASE WITH ME AND WOULD DEFINATELLY RECOMEND THIS CAMPSITE TO ALL IS IS GOOD VALUE FOR MONEY HAS A SHOP WITH AN OFFLICENCE IN IT FISHING COMPOS CHIPPY ABOUTA MILE AWAY PERFECT.

“We shall not go back to this camp site again. We have...”

written by on 09/09/2010

We shall not go back to this camp site again. We have visited numerous times and the goal posts have been moved each time! The owner was rude and obnoxious and spoke to us in a way in which I wouldnt even speak to my own children. I shall travel further afield next time!

“The lady owner of this campsite needs to take a good...”

written by ohyesgirdy on 08/09/2010

The lady owner of this campsite needs to take a good look at herself. Welcoming... Friendly.. Polite... she unfortunately doesn't no the meaning of these words. I have NEVER been spoken to in such a rude manner in front of my children before. We had paying guests (as we had done many times before) but this women wasn't content with getting money for nothing. She ruined our weekend (and the kids) at 8pm on a Saturday night. We were regulars of the site as we live near by and our kids are young.She changes the site rules to suit her own mood. A proper miserable spinster this one! Next time we'll go further afield to somewhere that deserves our trade!

“We camped for one night this weekend and we will NOT...”

written by on 05/09/2010

We camped for one night this weekend and we will NOT be returning. The lady owner is very rude and has no customer service at all. She spoilt our stay and the childrens.
The lady then insisted we hadn't apid enough and charged our visitors an extra 50p to the £1 we already paid and then charged for parking. I could go on and on about her attitude.