Ely, The Nyton Hotel Reviews

1.1

Ely, The Nyton Hotel - Ask a question now

“Worst place I've ever stayed”

written by Ingramie370 on 17/05/2024

On arrival it seemed pleasant, nice old building, but after settling in my room, I came down to find the bar and restaurant closed all evening, no staff at all for 2 hours, then when a member of staff finally showed up he spent the evening smoking cannabis which stank the hotel out, he neither opened the bar or offered drinks or food. Needless to say there was also no staff available in the morning for breakfast, so I left without any. They refused to refund the breakfast money as they said I didnt ring the bell enough before I left !! I'd rather stay in my car than go here again

“the place could do with a good clean. its horrible and...”

written by Moore88 on 22/04/2011

the place could do with a good clean. its horrible and the staff are a bit scary. went to a friends wedding there. avoid if you can.

“This hotel was booked for me and my wife by a friend...”

written by Briglo on 14/04/2008

This hotel was booked for me and my wife by a friend who lives in the area, having travelled 300 miles to get to the hotel I was hoping for a little better quality then we got. I am not blaming my friend for booking as he thought a RAC*** hotel would be of some standing, but alas this was not to be. The hotel is well over priced, the shower we had was unusable due to the condition, door broken and mould all over the door and a poor general state. There was a tea and coffee facility in the room, but on the second day I had to ask for more coffee and milk, and the third day I just couldn't be bothered. At breakfast the sugar went from table to table and there was no butter, perhaps I should have complained more, but having been booked by a friend I really did not want to upset him. This hotel is not recommended.

“An ideal place to stay for your Open University...”

written by OUFiona on 04/06/2007

An ideal place to stay for your Open University Graduation weekend, my celebration was made all the better for having stayed at The Nyton. OU Students are very picky and not afraid to complain. I will be returning in 3 years for my MA weekend, although I would like to go back earlier and spend longer in the area.

“We stayed at the Nyton Hotel for a friends wedding. On...”

written by PINKLADY20 on 13/02/2006

We stayed at the Nyton Hotel for a friends wedding. On arrival after a long drive (5hrs) all we wanted was a drink but the bar was shut at 6.30 in the evening. The owner grumped that he would open it shortly, shortly was the understatement he closed it again at 8.00!! No staff and he wanted to go home!! We were a little shocked to say the least. The hotel certainly was not as descibed, not comfortable, cosy or value for money, Fawlty Towers is a better description. The reception meal was average and the manager was rude to his staff right in front of us. The evening reception was in full flow at 11.00pm and all we were subjected to was the manager tapping his fingers on the bar giving the impression he wanted everyone to leave. He did close the bar at Midnight and left all guests unable to purchase any drinks. There are a number of other things that I could go into detail about but I think this covers the majority. We did enjoy our wedding after all we were not going to let the hotel manager spoil it, but my advice is DO NOT STAY HERE.

“The description of this hotel and the prices it...”

written by helenc on 12/10/2003

The description of this hotel and the prices it charges on most websites give the impression of a cosy and well-run hotel. This could'nt be further from the truth. The food, though ellaborately decribed on the menu, was luke warm, made from packet mixes and tasteless. The other guests were all over 70 and happy with the pureed quality of most of the vegetables. When we complained on arrival about the mould on the bathroom ceiling and the broken door knob we were told by the owner, with a grump, that he'd get around to it. When we got back from a night in the local Chinese - one look at the food & we ate out every night - he'd fixed the door knob but left our room unlocked. DO NOT STAY HERE.

“At £70 a night and an RAC *** rating, we thought the...”

written by ian m on 17/09/2003

At £70 a night and an RAC *** rating, we thought the Nyton hotel looked good but we were wrong.
After a long drive to Ely, we were shown to our room. After looking in the 'en-suite', we discovered the ceiling was covered in mould above the shower due to lack (ie. none) of ventilation and that the shower holder was broken and unusable. On confronting the hotel owner, he proceeded to admit that he knew that the room was unserviceable and that "it'll be fixed in a day or two", whilst the broken shower was due to "too many people getting in at once" !! Not once did he offer to move us to another room or compensate us for the inconvenience.
The icing on the cake was when we returned that evening to find an engineer had been let into our room (with all our possessions in) to fiddle with the phone! Of course we minded, but we were more annoyed by the fact he didn't even fix the shower!
The Nyton Hotel is a joke - avoid it.

229988_Bobbyn's Response to ian m's Review

Written on: 14/02/2006

Stay well AWAY from this hotel!!!
The hotel is overpriced, it should be £5 a night!!! We were “placed” by the gent’s loo on the ground floor. The floor stank of urine by the bed and the bathroom was full of mould with a shower curtain that looked like bubble wrap.

As the hotel was fully booked we had to wait one night for another room to be available. We were not offered any discount by the owner and had to pay the full price. In the morning of the second night in the hotel we went down to breakfast. The owner was in the kitchen area. One of our friends, who came down a few minutes after us, asked if he could have some toast. The owner then took the left over toast from another table and offered it to him.

This hotel should not be allowed to operate under these conditions. Whatever stars and recommendations they might have must have been given to them a very long time ago.

Don’t stay at this hotel, the staff are rude, the rooms are dirty and it is VERY overpriced!