Hayter Envoy Reviews

Media Gallery for Hayter Envoy

Hayter Envoy
Hayter Envoy

“Awful mistake”

Written on: 18/05/2015 by Landrover1992 (1 review written)

I bought this machine about 4 years ago for a small lawn. It only manages to throw a small percentage of the clippings into the collection box, the rest is dumped unevenly over the lawn. It is significantly underpowered and will stop if asked to cut a lawn that has been allowed to get a little bit long. My main complaint is the weight. It weighs the proverbial ton, such that it exhausting to try try and lift it out of the garage. The only hope would be a straight run from storage to lawn with… Read Full Review

“Simply Great”

Written on: 10/03/2015 by reecepatel21 (3 reviews written)

Had this mower for a while now, and it runs perfectly fine. No problems with it at all… Read Full Review

“Does not pick up grass”

Written on: 12/09/2014 by oiPearson240 (1 review written)

Easy to use. The problem is that unless the grass is already short and bone dry the majority of the cuttings do not go into the grass box but tends to remain on the lawn. Cannot recommend… Read Full Review

“Electric rotary”

Written on: 20/08/2014 by Roche269 (1 review written)

Had to change my cylinder mower because it became too heavy and cumbersome. I thought the rotary electric mower would be better and chose the Hayter Envoy because of its construction compared to others. Hayter is a good name in mowers, my neighbour has the motorised equivalent and it gives a good cut. My Envoy I think is underpowered and doesn't give as good a cut, certainly not as good as my old cylinder model. If the grass is a bit wet, it doesn't throw the clippings into the collection… Read Full Review

“Simplified Review Hayter Envoy 36”

Written on: 27/06/2014 by Cobra00 (1 review written)

If you have a flatish lawn with lush green grass then buy the Hayter. If, however, your lawn is a mix of clover,dandelion and other weeds with the odd patch of grass the Bosch Rotak will serve you better! If mobility is also an issue again it's the Bosch you need as its half the weigh of the Hayter. Hope this helps… Read Full Review

“HAYTER ENVOY - BRILLIANT! TWO YEARS OLD AND STILL SUPERB!”

Written on: 29/05/2013 by Trenchfoot (2 reviews written)

Having seen other reviews here about the Hayter Envoy not performing or being difficult to use I cannot disagree more ...and neither can my neighbour as we both have small gardens and bought one of these to share! My own review does not correspond at all with others written here. I consulted my neighbour as we share the machine, and she has agreed with all my points made here. This machine was bought to replace our two Qualcast mowers which were the most abysmal nasty machines we have ever had… Read Full Review

“Hate my Hayter”

Written on: 04/09/2012 by somersetguy (1 review written)

I can only concur with the majority of rewiewers. Hayter clearly has a major design fault with its Envoy Mower. With damp or lush grass if fails to do what you would expect of any mower, that being to cut the grass and transfer it easily into the grass box. On a lawn 10m by 20m I can expect to stop five or six times, unplug and clear the transfer chute blockage by hand. Then the following day plan to cut the lawn again in order to pick up all the cut grass the machine it has failed to… Read Full Review

“AVOID AT ALL COSTS”

Written on: 19/10/2011

After 15 years of good service my Qualcast mower finally fell apart. I decided to upgrade to a more upmarket mower. Big mistake. I bought my first Hayter Envoy in 2006. It lasted exactly 3 years before the motor burned out. Because it actually cuts well, I bought another. This one lasted 2 years before again, the motor failed, showing signs of burning inside. This time I complained to the supplier and they took my case up with Hayter. They supplied me with a new motor and covered half the cost… Read Full Review

Turner60's Comment

Written on: 20/07/2012

Update to my review above. An entire batch of electric motors had been supplied with the wrong capacitors, hence the failures. However, since yet another new motor was supplied last October with the correct electrics, it too has failed.

So, in 5 years 4 motors have failed. What a dismal record.

Read 1 Comment

“Having worked on Hayter products as a mechanic for the...”

Written on: 15/05/2010

Having worked on Hayter products as a mechanic for the local council I thought the Envoy would be a good replacement for our old Qualcast which was still working after many years of service, this was one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made. The grass box is of such a ridiculous design that we dread having to remove it to empty it, the mower will not pick up when used on the lowest setting even when the grass is short, sometimes the motor will not start unless we clear the smallest amount… Read Full Review

“My mum bought this Hayter Envoy Mower in April 2009,...”

Written on: 14/06/2009 by rjackson (2 reviews written)

My mum bought this Hayter Envoy Mower in April 2009, really because of what we thought the very good name behind it and also years in the business. What a mistake. We had previously owned a Mountfield (Princess equivalent now) for over 20 years and never had one problem with it and only one replacement blade. An excellent mower. The Hayer on the other hand, we feel has been a very disappoining choice. The collection box is so very awkward to put on and off (as many other people comment… Read Full Review

Turner60's Response to rjackson's Review

Written on: 19/10/2011

I had the same problem with the motor burning and making clunking noises.

Read 1 Comment

“Hayter Envoy gives a pleasant grass cutting...”

Written on: 12/05/2009 by Shrike (1 review written)

Hayter Envoy gives a pleasant grass cutting experience! once I got the hang of how to attach the grass cutting box it wasn't difficult. It does cut out when the grass box is full, if this happens you have to sweep out the chute but it is very easy to do. Just empty the box regularly and use it on a high setting if the grass is long. It operates very smoothly and feels like a quality piece of kit… Read Full Review

“The Envoy is nearly the worst mower I have owned in 50...”

Written on: 18/10/2008

The Envoy is nearly the worst mower I have owned in 50 years of grass cutting. Not worth the (HIGH) price and almost certainly unfit for purpose. Don't buy one whatever you do!… Read Full Review

Lawnmowergod's Comment

Written on: 04/07/2012

Strange as we sell 20+ machines every year with little or no complaint

Read 1 Comment

“A good mower for the smaller law. Also have Hayter...”

Written on: 30/07/2008

A good mower for the smaller law. Also have Hayter Petrol 41 for back lawn which is much bigger… Read Full Review

“The Envoy is not what I expected from a Hayter mower....”

Written on: 05/07/2008 by patrickotter (2 reviews written)

The Envoy is not what I expected from a Hayter mower. Does not compare with my previous Mountfield Princess… Read Full Review

“The Envoy problem was queried with Hayter who...”

Written on: 18/04/2008 by bruce duff (1 review written)

The Envoy problem was queried with Hayter who suggested I should go back to the supplier to have it checked. Squires garden centre in Twickenham could not suggest an answer and seemed totally disinterested in my problem… Read Full Review

Firebird's Response to 360314_bruce duff's Review

Written on: 30/08/2008

I've had a Hayter Envoy for a year. Main problems:(1) insufficient airflow generated to push cuttings into back of collecting box, resulting in spillage on to lawn when box only a third full. (2)If grass is even slightly damp, the whole thing clogs up and deposits unsightly gobbits of chewed up grass on the lawn. (3)Motor kept cutting out due to a faulty switch (says the distributor). Took it back for modification - virtually no improvement.
<br/>
<br/>Summary: I wouldn't touch another one of these with a bargepole!

Read 1 Comment

“After using a Flymo, the Hayter Envoy lawn mower is a...”

Written on: 17/06/2007 by nickhoare (3 reviews written)

After using a Flymo, the Hayter Envoy lawn mower is a dream. The advantages of this mower of any hover mower are :-
- Better grass collection. Collects it whether you are moving forward or backwards. E.g. Flymo is a mower with an attached vacuum to collect grass. Move in the wrong direction and it does not collect the grass. My experience does not correspond AT ALL with some other reviewers here.
- Goes where you push it. Hover mowers float, and so they always want to drift downhill… Read Full Review

307019_Hocput's Response to nickhoare's Review

Written on: 25/08/2007

I agree with this review because it tallies with my experience of the Hayter Envoy lawn mower.

Read 1 Comment

“This is the worst mower I've ever owned. I bought a...”

Written on: 20/10/2006 by Johnjohn (1 review written)

This is the worst mower I've ever owned. I bought a Hayter Envoy expecting quality and good design. I got dreadful design and average quality. Grass collection is a major problem for this mower. I think it's down to poor design as the "chute" to get the grass over the rear roller and into the collection box rises too steeply, leaving the grass to clog up at the bottom. This results in the grass "spewing" out the sides, very annoying as you have to mow the lawn twice to collect it. It also means… Read Full Review

307019_Hocput's Response to Johnjohn's Review

Written on: 25/08/2007

I disagree with this review because... I also have a Hayter Envoy, and find it the best rotary mower I have had - on a par or better than a Mountfield Princess. In a different league to a Flymo

Hornpipe's Response to Johnjohn's Review

Written on: 17/10/2008

THis view is exactly the same as mine! Rubbish mower!!

Firebird's Response to Johnjohn's Review

Written on: 31/08/2008

This review coincides with my findings precisely!

Read 3 Comments

“I had a Flymo before this Hayter Envoy, never again....”

Written on: 07/10/2006 by camioman (1 review written)

I had a Flymo before this Hayter Envoy, never again. After using this quality product, Electrolux should stick to vacuum cleaners. This mower has made cutting the lawn a pleasure. I couldn't hear myself think with the Flymo, but with the Envoy I can hold a conversation with the neighbour while using it.

Excellent and although a bit pricey, it's worth paying the extra… Read Full Review

307019_Hocput's Response to camioman's Review

Written on: 25/08/2007

I agree with this review because it ties with my experience of the Hayter Envoy lawn mower

Johnbgood's Response to camioman's Review

Written on: 18/10/2010

I found this review very helpful because...I have a small lawn and this quiet lawn mower fits the requirement

Read 2 Comments

“Hayter Envoy - Difficult to fit collection bag. ”

Written on: 25/07/2004 by SmithKL (5 reviews written)

Hayter Envoy - Difficult to fit collection bag.
Crude locking method for folding the handles.
No means of detaching cable from the mower.
Blades will not start in long grass (motor starting torque too low).
Dry long grass blocks the collection bag when 25% full.
Damp grass collection very poor.
On the positive side the it is heavy which keeps it going on rough surface and the noise levels are low.
Poor value for money compared to the mass market alternatives… Read Full Review

Smithkl's Response to SmithKL's Review

Written on: 15/11/2004

Following my posting of this review I was contacted by Hayter. The lawnmower was subsiquently tested by the supplier who confirmed that it was performing badly. Hayter replaced the mower without further question.
<br>The replacement works well with respect to picking up the grass and the fitting of the collection bag.
<br>I must summarize that the company did provide good service when the product was faulty as a result of their performance and the performance of the mower when working as intended I would now recommend the product to other potential purchasers.

291866_Pleasant's Response to SmithKL's Review

Written on: 12/11/2008

Agree grassbag fitment is a slight fiddly, although like anything new, you eventually get the knack.<br/><br/>Latest models allow for the mains cable to be detached.<br/><br/>Lifting the front wheels slightly off the grass when starting the motor will allow the blade to spin freely instead of simply wheeling it onto your uncut lawn, filling the deck with uncut grass and expecting the blade to turn.<br/><br/>Taking less off in one cut rather than huge swages will overcome the problem of not collecting long grass.<br/><br/>Why anyone would want to cut damp grass with an electric lawnmower is beyond me- potentially dangerous and common sense tells you if cut damp grass sticks to your shoes, then sure as eggs is eggs it's going to stick to the chute of the mower.

Fred Roberts's Response to SmithKL's Review

Written on: 24/09/2007

I made a comment on this mower after buying in 2004. I agreed with the comments on SmithKL's. He was contacted by Hayter and subsequently the mower was replaced. I still have a mower that will not collect cut grass unless we are having a heat wave, as the collection chute blocks and leaves grass strewn over the lawn. The collection box is a pain to fit to the mower (my wife has given up trying). It is a pity that Hayter did not acknowledge my concerns when I wrote to them.
<br/>
<br/>To sum up -- the height adjustment system is a work of art worthy of a NASA scientist; this must have taken 90% of the budget. With regards to the grass collection chute and grass box attachment, did the tea lady have a major input? (no disrespect to the tea lady). I can only sum up by saying that the positive reviews on the Hayter Envoy are of recent origin, and no doubt Hayter have changed the design along the way.

307019_Hocput's Response to SmithKL's Review

Written on: 25/08/2007

The Hayter Envoy must have developed a lot for the 2007 Season - as mine does not suffer these problems, and does have a detachable cable

Fred Roberts's Response to SmithKL's Review

Written on: 21/03/2007

I have this model and totally agree. The grass collection box is the main fault as it is poorly designed and very difficult to attach to the main body. Also the lack of grass collection if the grass is even damp, as the collection shute jams. I wrote to hayter about the method of attaching the grass box and they said they were not aware of any problems! This machine is robust and very quite however I would not recommend this mower.

Read 5 Comments