Sony CMT-HP7 Reviews

• Sound Quality

Sony CMT-HP7 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Sony CMT-HP7

Sony CMT-HP7

“It is not the same as Sony "Made in Japan"”

Written on: 16/07/2020 by 37Lawson (1 review written)

This compact stereo system follows the Sony excellent sound quality... However, the overall quality of the manufacturing is very low. Why? Because it is not made in Japan, that it gave Sony in the past the high reputation of quality control and components. This unit is made in China. It will never be the same. Knowing that components and craftsmanship over there are cheaper and low quality. That's why I share the same frustrating issue of the CDs stock in the component. It is unbelievable that I had to bang the system hard in order to get my five CDs back!! And by my surprise I got two CDs together and was able to get the other ones. I still have it, has and excellent sound quality but I would never put a CD in the system, as well I would never buy a Sony or other Japanese brand manufactured in China!!

“cd player repeats same songs can't reset”

Written on: 11/10/2012

My husband & I love listening to music as we work. We have several CD's that when we play repeat the same songs four or five repeatedly. These are CD's that havde 10 to 12 songs and it won't reset.

“Fix Stuck CDs”

Written on: 14/08/2011 by jergreene (1 review written)

Overall great unit until cds jammed reading "mechanical error" & "disc 2 eject" but with no response Quick Fix: Unplug unit - take off left side panel (6 screws) Blow out dust from inside unit (why not while its open?) Plug in and switch to CD. While screen reads "initializing" reach in and tap the clear plastic covering the drive mechanism while pressing the eject button on the identified problem disc. disc will come out with enough "hard" tapping. Repeat as necessary for the balance of stuck discs. Put back together. Only use 2 or 3 screws since you probably will have to do this again in the future.

“I have found that over the 7+ years i have owned this...”

Written on: 21/01/2011

I have found that over the 7+ years i have owned this system that it has been flawless.. I use it every day for CD's and AUX. Never had any of the problems aforementioned by everyone else, the sound quality is sensational, A FANTASTIC PURCHASE! :)

“I am sorry to say but sony no longer stands for...”

Written on: 22/03/2010 by ebony999 (1 review written)

I am sorry to say but sony no longer stands for quality for it was known for. Although I bought my hi-fi system a while ago, it developed mechanical error twice in less than 12 months so from the comments I have been reading so far, it seems sony must have been aware of the mechanical fault associated with this particlar hi-fi system. Otherwise, why are the majority of the people complaining of the same problems? When I bought, it was not cheap because I had the notion I was buying 'quality', so I thought. Little did I know that it will last for less than a year. I have bought other sony products and have been consistently been sorely disappointed. It is such a rip off and only God knows how many other people are experiencing the same problems. Unfortunately for me, the same problems came up again after the warranty period therefore was not able to replace it. I play the radio but that's about it. Such a waste! I have vowed to stay clear of anything sony and will never recommend it to any one because I think they have basically lowered their standard in terms of 'quality'.

“BEWARE Sony CMT-EH15 Micro Hi Fi System: I bought TWO...”

Written on: 21/11/2009

BEWARE Sony CMT-EH15 Micro Hi Fi System: I bought TWO of them. CD player stopped working after two months in BOTH units. This is the SECOND sony CMT-EH15 I have had. I returned the first and was given a replacement. Same problem again and a wasted money. Feel totally ripped off !!! The only reason I buy a brand name like Sony is because I assume i can rely on the quality of their product. This product has completely underminded my confidence in the Sony brand because it happened with TWO consecutive seperate identical models of the product. Check online for other buyer experiences before buying any of their product to avoid throwing away your time and money.

“The Sony CMT-HP7 is a great hi fi but the mecha error...”

Written on: 30/05/2009 by jimmyriddle (1 review written)

The Sony CMT-HP7 is a great hi fi but the mecha error is crap

“My CD's get stuck as well. All I do is push the open...”

Written on: 06/04/2009

My CD's get stuck as well. All I do is push the open CD button on the Sony CMT-HP7 and bang on the top till it pops down and the CD exchanger opens. Not a great solution, but I'm able to get my CD's out at least. I loved the random play feature of this unit, but since the CD's keep getting stuck I can't use it any more. Anyone have any solutions for fixing the problem or is it time to trash it?

“Excellent sound quality and reliability as always from...”

Written on: 30/09/2008

Excellent sound quality and reliability as always from Sony. The bass is outstanding considering it is coming from such a small yet sleek hi-fi. Overall i love it and i will keep it for as long as it works as i think it is an excellent piece of engineering.

“Sony CMT-HP7 plays 5 CD, Repair bills yearly or more ,...”

Written on: 05/05/2008

Sony CMT-HP7 plays 5 CD, Repair bills yearly or more , Mechanical errors Will never buy Sonly again!!!!

“I bought this sound system in Switzerland. It does...”

Written on: 30/12/2007 by jchanez (1 review written)

I bought this sound system in Switzerland. It does have a nice sound. With high frequency tweeter and quite nice medium/low speakers. I thought it had a nice amplifier, but it now randomly turns down when I listen to the radio or to any auxiliary. Concerning the CD tray, I do have the same problem as most people do. They never got stuck in the tray, but I do get that whirring noise that was mentioned in one of the posts, it gets to the point where it is louder than the music itself, and then starts chopping the reading. I have opted now for a sound system with separate items. I now have Klipsch speakers with a Denon amp. My advice would be to stay away from compact sound systems.

“Best thing would be to trash it before worse happens...”

Written on: 09/05/2007 by strangefellow (1 review written)

Best thing would be to trash it before worse happens and I have to crack it open to get the discs out.

“Lots of features. It was apparently a "return" unit. I...”

Written on: 11/10/2006 by Briybry (1 review written)

Lots of features. It was apparently a "return" unit. I got it cheap from Sears for $80 .00 last year. Far better than any computer speakers for listening to audio sounds. Nice AM-FM tuner. The CD player has never stuck for me like some people complain about, but I don't use it much.

The Sony CMT-HP7 has no EQ or tone controls (like most Asian stereos these days, sigh)! It turns itself automatically to an annoying DEMO mode when it is OFF. It does this randomly and presents an annoying flashy display with flashing, chasing lights etc. ALSO, the pilot light only turns ON when the system is OFF. They have started doing this with all Asian electronics. It is a very stupid idea. OK it tells you that you have AC wall power. Big deal.

After several months it would occasionally click (a relay inside), and the sound would go off for a split second. It is completely random. It sometimes works for several minutes, BUT this has become worse and worse. I am sure it is not worth paying to have it repaired. WHAT could be triggering this relay to click off?

Still a bargain at $80, BUT now it is broken!

“I like the Sony CMT-HP7 micro system's sound, as well...”

Written on: 21/01/2006 by jttcanadian (1 review written)

I like the Sony CMT-HP7 micro system's sound, as well as the fact that it plays MP3's.

There was a mechanical error that occurred, and as with other reviews stated, my CD's were stuck in the system, but it was still under warranty, and the mechanic said that it was just a broken spring, so it was easily fixed.

“I liked the Sony CMT-HP7 every day that it worked...”

Written on: 08/11/2005 by chrisw05 (1 review written)

I liked the Sony CMT-HP7 every day that it worked properly, (good sounding unit), until the cd mech broke. After reading other reviews it seems I'm not the only one with this problem. A bit disappointed.

“The CD unit of the Sony CMT-HP7 stopped working after...”

Written on: 05/06/2005 by octavio (1 review written)

The CD unit of the Sony CMT-HP7 stopped working after 15 months. CD's stuck inside. Stereo is now in the garbage.
Stay away!!!

“Loved the Sony CMT HP7 until it held our 5 favourite...”

Written on: 23/01/2005 by ohmystarsblue (1 review written)

Loved the Sony CMT HP7 until it held our 5 favourite cds hostage after just 14 months. CD system is broken, just two months after warranty expired. Guess we should have bought the extended warranty. Not impressed with quality.

196341_Octavio's Response to ohmystarsblue's Review

Written on: 05/06/2005

The same thing happened with our system 15 months after purchase. Opened it up to retrieve our 5 CD's but still a mechanical error. First time buying a Sony and now, the last!

Ohmystarsblue's Response to ohmystarsblue's Review

Written on: 05/07/2005

7 months later - eventually coaxed cd's out one at a time over the course of a few days. Paid for a small repair ($70 CDN)at authorized dealer and stereo works perfectly again. Hopefully repair will last. Repairman said they never come back twice but he didn't know if it was because they continued to work or the owners threw them out!

Read 2 Comments

“Sony has been succesful in presenting a solid micro...”

Written on: 07/06/2004 by Robert2480 (1 review written)

Sony has been succesful in presenting a solid micro system in the Sony CMT-HP7. It has unusually good solid bass from such a small system. Most in this size can be raspy and tinny, but the HP-7 delivers a bass that really hits you clean.
I like it's looks and the display is easy to read from any angle. Also good to see the addition of a cooling fan in the back to help keep the unit's electronic's from overheating.
This is a well engineered unit with great sound at an extremely good price.