Hamster Reviews

Hamster - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Hamster

Hamster
Hamster

“Hamsters are a cool little pet to own they are fun to...”

Written on: 18/09/2011 by tommyboy97 (51 reviews written)

Hamsters are a cool little pet to own they are fun to watch and i would reccomend getting more than 1 as they do get lonely but one is still fine i youst to have around 18 hamsters all because of a sex mistake at the pet shop there gone now though. but my brother youst to have a very big hamster and that was also fun so hamsters are cool little pets… Read Full Review

“Great, they are fun and really clever little things, i...”

Written on: 28/11/2009

Great, they are fun and really clever little things, i love mine to bits, Right now mine is in a cot fast asleep with toys around him! He snores and i couldn't find a better friend. Bummer: he only lives for two years and a half but oh well!… Read Full Review

“A Hamster is a good pet for someone who wants a pet...”

Written on: 28/11/2008

A Hamster is a good pet for someone who wants a pet but doesn't want to have to walk it and give it lots of attention… Read Full Review

“Although hamsters make great pets as they do not move...”

Written on: 18/04/2008 by XxMalteserxX (1 review written)

Although hamsters make great pets as they do not move very fast, I do feel that it is very upsetting the pet dying after you have spent 18 months bonding with it… Read Full Review

“I have kept many pets, and in all honesty a hamster...”

Written on: 30/12/2007 by PieDizzle (41 reviews written)

I have kept many pets, and in all honesty a hamster was the least favourite. I find that hamsters are unsuitable for children, due to the fact they are mainly nocturnal and can nip when they are disturbed from their sleep. They also have a tendency to urinate and defecate on people when they are nervous. Whilst dwarfs tend to be quite quick. They are also easily injured; even a small vertical drop can severely injure a hamster.

From experience I have found that out of the several pet rodents I… Read Full Review

Flyguy's Response to PieDizzle's Review

Written on: 15/04/2008

Hamsters are class, easily one of my favourites! Fab Review.

Read 1 Comment

“I have recently owned a Russian Dwarf hamster, and I...”

Written on: 04/01/2007 by djeva1 (51 reviews written)

I have recently owned a Russian Dwarf hamster, and I could not believe how soft and small it was compared to the size of Syrian Hamsters, and they're slightly quicker. I love the walnut patterned markings on their coats, with the stripe down the back, and when you first pick them up, they automatically flatten themselves onto your hand and you can carefully groom their coats with an old toothbrush, as I did with mine. I provided our Dwarf Hamster with a good size cage, plus I put down loads of… Read Full Review

Helen Of Troy's Response to djeva1's Review

Written on: 04/01/2007

What a lovely review djeva1. So sad at the end, reading about your little chap having to be put to sleep. My eldest son used to have a couple of hamsters, Molly and Dave. They were kept in separate cages of course! They do make lovely little pets. Shame they don't have a longer life span. You will have to let us know if you get another.

Read 1 Comment

“I have read about hamsters for ages I kept reading...”

Written on: 20/08/2006 by Fleur (1 review written)

I have read about hamsters for ages I kept reading that younger childrens up to teens need help looking after their pets WHAT A JOKE I mean come on I have also had my guinea pigs for 5 years so I got them when I was young and let me tell you they need a lot more work then hamsters! so there. but back to the review I love hamsters i luv the way they make their nest, the way they eat a green bean and the way they look into my eyes, tee hee I just adore them. My hamster is called marmalade she… Read Full Review

“Hamsters make great pets and are perfect for older...”

Written on: 15/07/2006 by hamsterlover (1 review written)

Hamsters make great pets and are perfect for older children. They're adorable and can can fit into the smallest of homes. They come in a huge variety of colours and have virtually no tail (good news if you find the long tails of mice off putting). Any pet is a massive responsibility so make sure you're 100% committed before even thinking about getting one.

What you'll need:
A sturdy wire cage (the biggest you can afford), wood shavings, paper bedding, a small food dish, a gravity water… Read Full Review

“I got a pair of Russian Dwarf Hamsters from a local...”

Written on: 05/05/2006 by Madbrush (6 reviews written)

I got a pair of Russian Dwarf Hamsters from a local pet shop; mainly for my four year old, but I also missed my previous Syrian Hamsters!

I was a bit dubious about keeping Dwarfs as I had very little knowledge of them. I had heard they were nippy and not great handling pets etc. Was I wrong? The pet shop guy let us handle them, and they were very gentle and even licked our hands! Now they are about 2 months old, and they respond when we come back from work etc. At 6.30 they will wait at the… Read Full Review

Timblack57's Response to Madbrush's Review

Written on: 26/05/2006

We too have had a pair of Russian dwarf hamsters for about six months now. They are so pretty and cute but do they fight! Or rather one attacks and the other rolls on its back and screams. Sounds terrible at times but no sign of injury so have kept them together. They are sisters and sleep in the same nest although we have provided a second "house". Very active at night, generally both run together in their wheel, which can be fun to watch at times. Don't like being handled, especially the nervous one, unlike our Syrian hamster or gerbil. Sadly one seems to developed a tumour (large lump on her back) though still eats well and behaves normally. It's a good idea to provide Chinchilla sand as they love to roll in it to clean their fur.

Timblack57's Response to Madbrush's Review

Written on: 30/10/2006

To add to my comment of 26th May 2006: The hamster with the tumour had to be put to sleep about a month later, as she had become very poorly. The surviving sister has become much less nervous and easier to handle now she is no longer being dominated by her sister. I agree that Dwarf Hamsters are much less smelly than Syrians!

Djeva1's Response to Madbrush's Review

Written on: 29/10/2006

I also had a Russian Dwarf Hamster. He was very friendly and used to lick my hand, but sadly he had to be put down at the vets due to having 2 large tumours. One of them being below his right ear, and the other one in his stomach. Mind you, I had him for almost a year and a half, and I still miss him.

Read 3 Comments

“Ive had 2 hamsters and I have one at the moment, 2 ran...”

Written on: 10/04/2006 by Jazzymine (3 reviews written)

Ive had 2 hamsters and I have one at the moment, 2 ran away and escaped. I love my hamster very much but i think they are suitable for children over 8 but not for adults… Read Full Review

“I've owned (or been owned by) several hamsters over...”

Written on: 15/01/2006 by sandemp (5 reviews written)

I've owned (or been owned by) several hamsters over the years, in fact my first hamster was bought for me as a child. But I'm not going to talk about those little balls of fur (or not much anyway), instead I'm going to tell you about my new little baby, Gizmo, a 7 week old male Syrian hamster.

---Gizmo's Family---

Gizmo is a sweet little fellow, whose closest relatives include, Guinea pigs, rabbits, rats, mice and capybara, that's right he's a rodent. This means he has long, sharp… Read Full Review

“Hamsters only appear at night and make quite a bit of...”

Written on: 28/06/2005 by lucyvic (7 reviews written)

Hamsters only appear at night and make quite a bit of noise on the wheel or rattling the bars if you take the wheel out. They need blocks to chew on to keep their teeth in good condition. Golden hamsters are friendliest… Read Full Review

Topaz's Response to lucyvic's Review

Written on: 26/08/2005

Actually hamsters are crepscular, meaning they wake up at dawn and dusk! They need a wheel and chewing the bars is noisy for you, but what about the hamster, he could have wrecked his teeth? When they are bored stiff so chew the bars, wouldn't you?! You could have moved him to a barless cage like an aquarium and give him more toys and played with him more!
<br>Hamsters need to have their potty corner cleaned everyday, and a whole cage cleaning every week, they are not smelly creatures!

Read 1 Comment

“The hamster I have got now is my 3rd one she is lovely...”

Written on: 17/10/2004 by I LUV Kill Bill films (2 reviews written)

The hamster I have got now is my 3rd one she is lovely and shows lots of affection when cuddling.
The cages and stuff for them aren't expensive and it's worth it anyway. Hamsters are great pets to have if you haven't got a big house and don't want a pet that takes a lot of looking after e.g dogs and cats. They are very sweet and often make you laugh, be careful though, they are very fast when trying to escape!… Read Full Review

“At first I was so excited about getting a hamster but...”

Written on: 28/07/2004 by ktlou (1 review written)

At first I was so excited about getting a hamster but now I can't see what all the fuss was about, all he does is sleep or run, he never cuddles me because he just tries to escape, but saying that he looks cute when running in his ball. The most annoying part is when he chews on the cage bars, I can never sleep!!!… Read Full Review

Topaz's Response to 162560_ktlou's Review

Written on: 26/08/2005

Hamsters chew on their bars because they bored, it is annoying to you yes, but did you ever think of the hamster? His wheel was probably too small as most are for syrians so you should have gotten him a bigger one, given him more toys and put him in a nice big 15-20 gallon aquarium instead of leaving him in there! Perhaps if you handled him more and played with him when he was chewing the bars, you would have experienced the joys of owning a hamster!

Madbrush's Response to 162560_ktlou's Review

Written on: 05/05/2006

Not all hamsters can be tamed, secondly get the biggest cage you can afford and take hammy out for evening strolls in a clean bath, if you are scared of losing it! Thirdly enjoy it as a creature of the world and enjoy observing it in a habitat close to its own, plenty of deep woodchip and bedding, hamsters are fun wee things!

Read 2 Comments

“I had a hamster and it lived for 1 year and 5 months....”

Written on: 21/06/2004 by willowangel1 (3 reviews written)

I had a hamster and it lived for 1 year and 5 months. Unfortunately my friends were unlucky and theirs only lived for 10 months. It says in all guide books that they need to be handled every day, but I got mine out 3 times a week and it was very tame. It only ever bit me once when I first had it. I'd have to say to anyone who gets one that they need cleaning out weekly and it's a lot getting them out regularly. I must admit there was one stage in which I didn't get my hamster out for 2 weeks… Read Full Review

Cacomistle's Response to willowangel1's Review

Written on: 24/08/2004

Was this review a joke? seriously? I can't believe this person so lightly added that they didn't get their hamster out for 2 weeks, that's terrible. They seem to have forgotten that another reason you should get out your hamster every day is to let it get some physical and mental exercise not just so it doesn't bite you!(If properly handled when they're young, hamsters are naturally good natured and won't bite you). Even worse though, was the comment about taking it back to the pet store as if the poor creature was a broken toy. I think this review must have been a joke no one can be that ignorant can they? Even so it gives me a chance to put across the message that you shouldn't buy an animal unless you are responsible enough to look after it properly!