Yamaha YP250 Majesty Maxi Reviews

Yamaha YP250 Majesty Maxi
4.8

Yamaha YP250 Majesty Maxi - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Yamaha YP250 Majesty Maxi

“Yp fun scooter to ride developed fault on starting”

written by lindopetrosillo on 17/07/2018

I went from a 650 transalp to yp 250 scooter for various reasons mostly running costs didnt care what I looked like on it the scooter was running great for few months used it to commute couple days a week 85 mile round trip got near my house cut out on me lucky stopped outside my garage least got me home tryed starting seemed dead i hope its the battery all in all i really like the scooter very enjoyable to ride and quite comfortable as well hoping to sort the problem get back on road

“Best Bike I have owned”

written by 58Meadows on 11/07/2014

I have owned GT550 / yam tenere / honda africa twin / Honda c90 / MZ250 This is simply the best bike I have ever owned. Simple, light, stable, reliable, weather proof behind the wheel (virtually) and bullet proof mechanically (engine has never missed a beat) A gem of a bike

“YAMAHA Majesty yp250 is excellent”

written by Aliya211 on 02/07/2014

I picked up my yp250 on Ebay for a bargain at $1000 with 2 weeks rego left. It had 2200kms on the clock and is the 1998 model. I had to re-register and transfer it. I flew from Sydney to Melbourne to pick it up and rode it 870km in one day on the freeway cruising between 100 and max downhill of 130km/h. It cost me $45 to ride 870kms,ha ha ha. It does get blown around a bit by the wind at speed, during bad weather, but normally its pretty good. And for the city and inner urban scene its bloody perfect, pretty zippy and easy to park. I get 250kms a tank of fuel and a tank costs me anywhere between $11 and $15. Its super reliable. Always starts, the boot is good for 2 or 3 groceries shopping bags and ive even put a loaf of bread in the left hand side of the glovebox. oh and the other glove box is great for keeping the gloves. Its bloody good bike. Ive done 5000kms in 5 months. I have just bought the givi d115st extra large windshield which i heard stops the buffering of wind. Yeah the windscreen is a bit too short unless you are short yourself, so unless you tuck down you get wind blasts, like most scooters that dont have any windshield at all. I personally think its better than the famous vespar gts 250 because of Japanese quality Yamaha styling and engine manufacture. Its a 250 so essentially its a scooter with pretty big balls for a scooter and small enough to cut through traffic congestion and not weigh a tonne. These bikes were 7500 brand new and still sell for 3000 second hand. Its not noisy like the small Chinese scoots. This bike has changed my life. Stoked for sure. Get one if its clean.

Stollie's Comment

Written on: 06/07/2018

My 1998 yp250 is exactly like that. Wind blows her around a bit but a very good economic maxi scooter.

“Bought my Yamaha Majesty 250 at the end of 2009, it...”

written by on 18/03/2011

Bought my Yamaha Majesty 250 at the end of 2009, it had done 22'000 miles and I payed a whopping £800 for it. It's a 1999(T reg), I use it every day in almost any weather(except ice) and it has never let me down. I have a commute of about a 30 mile round trip a day, which includes a bit of dual carriageway, 5 miles of windy A-Road and then about 7-8 miles of city riding.
For the combination of all 3 types of riding it's superb, mine will sit at 70-75mph, and tops out at about 83mph, acceleration from very low down isn't great but once it gets up to about 20-25mph it flies up to 50-60mph in no time. Cost is very low too only about £12 to fill tank and I spend about £6 a month on oil. It will easily do 60mpg, the best I've done is 81mpg.
Handling is good on all types of road, but can be scary in the wet, like other reviews I've read I too have felt the back wheel skid slightly if you turn at speed and with a fair amount of lean angle, this doesn't really matter in the dry but in the wet it has caught me out once or twice and given me a bit of a shock.
On the comfort side it's great for around the town for hours but take it out on the motorway for too long and it can get quite unpleasant. Being a single it does vibrate a fair bit and being a scooter it does get blown about in the wind too, mine has the after market Givi screen which improves things from standard but it's still noticeable. Weather protection is excellent however with just the top of my helmet and my shoulders getting wet.
Reliability wise I've had 1 new rear tyre, a set of front brake pads and a regulator/rectifier this is all in about 9k miles. Service cost's are OK, about £150 for normal service and £260 for full service, back tyre wear is quite rapid (6/7k) obviously depends how you ride it. Storage is good, glove box and under seat storage is enough for me to store helmet, jacket, gloves, lock and sunglasses etc..
I also own a 2006 Yamaha XTX660 which I love and is superb for the weekend but for the daily commute the Majesty is far, far better.

Good Points - Great reliability, weather protection, MPG, storage, comfort, just a great commuter.

Bad points - twitchy in the wet, gets blown around a bit, not the quickest, that's about it.

“This is an excellent scooter that has stood the test...”

written by Scioccolato on 08/03/2011

This is an excellent scooter that has stood the test of time. I was given a 2002 model that had 25,000km on it, and now it has 34,000km. It has been very reliable, has plenty of power, is quite low and light. There really isn't anything I can say negatively about it as it really is the sort of scooter you just can't wait to get back on and ride around. I ride mainly in heavy traffic on the Italian Riviera, and it's good at starting and stopping. It handles very well with a passenger on the back, and the brakes are more than adequate. Plenty of space under the seat for a couple of large helmets. It doesn't look particularly sexy, but that could be a plus if you want it to blend in. The only criticism I can make is that it's very fiddly to change the windscreen, and something you are unlikely to want to do twice a year as the seasons change.

“Actually, it is an Italjet Jupiter 250, but nobody...”

written by on 30/08/2009

Actually, it is an Italjet Jupiter 250, but nobody else seems to own one and as it is exactly the same as the Majesty I have reviewed it here!
I originally bought this Yamaha YP250 Majesty Maxi off a friend to help her out and have found I really quite like it, but don't tell my biking mates! And that is really the only down side. I own a Honda Varadero 1000 which, like all large capacity machines is fab. However, I very rarely use all the power and speed available and if I do I always seem to arrive home looking over my shoulder!
That's my quandry; the YP250 does exactly what it says on the tin - and some. In a world high on tight leather and speed, we have been conditioned to think these maxi scoots are'nt really proper bikes! Sorry guys, but this one can cut it.
The times I have used it I have found it is actually nicer to use than the Varadero (but don't say it too loudly).
It's comfy, economical and plenty fast enough in most road riding situations. Of course, it is no sports bike or even a large trailie. But in the real world, it does everything you want of a two wheeler. It has plenty of storage for your wet weather kit and put a top box on and you would have loads of space when touring (solo) with good weather protections to boot.
It handles surprisingly well, but it can be thrown of course by deep ruts and pot holes, Proper compound tyres will help.
I am 6'3" and I have no comfort problems, it copes reasonably well with a pillion although two up touring would stretch it a bit. That said, keep off the motorway and keep the speed down (car speed) and it should be okay.
So, should I keep it and chop in the Varadero, or will it be an also ran in the garage? Well, lets just say, I want to keep my licence, and with the weather as it is i don't need an expensive unused play thing sulking in the garage.
The YP250, curiously has won my vote. Be interesting to see what my mates say at the next ride out!

Brucimi's Comment

Written on: 09/06/2013

I concur. My 2002 yp250 ticks most of the boxes I need. I ride 450 km on the North Queensland (Australia) goat track named the Bruce Highway several times a year. It copes well with bad edges, passing semi-trailers doing 160km/hr, areas of extreme crosswinds (north of Bowen), wet weather and above 100 km/hr traffic speed. It returns 25-30 km per litre consumption. It is comfortable, stable and quite. What else can I say?

“Having examined its competitors prior to purchase, I...”

written by niksfree on 04/05/2008

Having examined its competitors prior to purchase, I have found over the last 10,000 klm that i made the right choice with the Yamaha YP250. Sadly Yamaha Australia is all about maximunm profits and is no longer importing the 250cc scooter so I will have to just look after it till I can no longer ride. Due to my disability im unable to ride the heavier scooters.

“I'm 76 this year and last owned a bike 20 years ago....”

written by Paradiddle on 22/04/2008

I'm 76 this year and last owned a bike 20 years ago. I've had bikes up to 1000 cc in the past. I drive fast cars and even taken an Aston Martin Vantage out for a run. I'm a Jazz Drummer so have very developed fairly fast reactions. I got the Yamaha YP250 on E bay. It's a 1999 and only done 12,000 miles. Very carefully and gingerley I rode it home up the M1 with a pal following me driving my car back. It was blowing a gale and occasional snow flurrys and Hail as well. Fortunately a 50 mph speed limit due to road works allowed me to gently cruise it home. After 50 miles the roads dried and the snow and rain stopped and I was able to creep it up to 70 mph as I got used to it. 2 weeks on and I am flying around on it all over the place and I love it. I wish it was a twin cylinder engine and there fore a little smoother. About 60 mph is about right for the engine smoothness. Slower speeds are a bit lumpy with a single. It gets away at the lights nicely and before long I shall be taking it to France when the top box arrives.

“I own the Yamaha YP250 for a few monts now, its a 2001...”

written by on 14/04/2008

I own the Yamaha YP250 for a few monts now, its a 2001 model. I havent noticed any problems at all during this period, except the power loss I mentioned above: this model doesnt equipped with a tachometer so I cant tell for sure at what amount of revs. it accure, but I can tell that this only happens when you take off; about 4-21 km\h and when you ride at these speeds(parking lots, crowded places), the engine seems to be unwilling to rev. up. This is the only problem i've noticed and possibly it's true only about the specific scooter I own, anyhow, it is barely noticed after a couple of weeks and if you're not used to a powerful bike you won't really notice it. Overall, it is a great scooter, easy to handle and fun to ride, I sincerely recommend it to anyone who would like to save money but still get a comfortable and relatively powerful scooter.

“I owned my Yamaha Majesty for a few months by now and...”

written by vvbart on 13/04/2008

I owned my Yamaha Majesty for a few months by now and haven't noticed any problems at all except the power loss I mentioned above; at low speeds, 4-21 km\h (parking lots, crowded places, traffic jams) the engine seems to be unwilling to rev. up. This can be true only about the specific scooter I own. Anyhow, if you're not used to a powerful bike you'll barely notice it at all. Overall, i am very satisfied with it and i sincerely recommend it to anyone who would like to save money but still get a relatively powerful scooter.

“I work with bikes every day and am on my second YP250...”

written by g70nes on 30/12/2007

I work with bikes every day and am on my second YP250 Majesty now my previous being an R reg and my present model being a 53 Reg. I have the use of any bike I wish both new and used from the dealership I work at. I have run nearly all the super scooters on the market and use a bike to travel a round trip of 30 miles every day in all types of weather. The YP250 is one of the best and the only downside is that a 400cc is that bit better when on a motorway. Both the 400cc and 250cc are great as they do not lose the true reason of what most people get scooter for... The ease physically moving them around, cheap insurance and economical. Great storage is there especially on the later model even without a top box! Get yourself some Boppa tyres or even Michelin Pilot sports and you will be on the verge of getting your knee sliders out...lol. I have ridden the following models and have covered over 500 miles on each scooter :- Suzuki Burgman 250, 400 and 650 executive, Honda FJS600 Silverwing, Yamaha TMax, Piaggio X9 500, along with the Majesty 250 and can honestly say that only the Burgman 400 is the only contender due to its larger engine but its downside of less storage capacity and poorer styling would make me only choose the Majesty 400 as the only option to go for (this I haven't had the pleasure of riding). I would happily recommend anyone buy themselves a Yamaha YP250 Majesty, as I can use any bike FREE anytime so it has to be good for me to even consider riding it never mind personally owning one. I hope my comments are of use to anyone considering buying any of the super scooter models and good luck!! Regards Graham

Johnso's Response to 334315_g70nes's Review

Written on: 23/08/2012

Excellent report, thank you very much. Need to buy one now!!!
John

Swiftchallanger's reply to Johnso's Comment

Written on: 10/06/2015

i have just got a 03 plate majasty it needs a new front tyre i like to lean a bike what would you recomend thanks

Ben29's Response to 334315_g70nes's Review

Written on: 19/06/2013

Hi,

What is this like to ride in snow/ice?..how about mpg?

I currently have a Honda CB 250 and a BMW K 75S. The Honda is a FAB commuter giving me approx 130 mpg and rode throughout the bad weather in UK during the 2012/3 winter. It handles snow & ice without any problems and also London's potholes!!

The BMW is great, but its now becoming a classic and around London I find it just a little to big/heavy (220 Kg)

I am looking for a scooter for my 13 mile commute to work in London...something with a bit more weather protection & I wont have to lube the chain.

Cheers

“I went from a ZZR1100 to the YP250 and that was hard...”

written by grantrine on 22/01/2007

I went from a ZZR1100 to the YP250 and that was hard to do. But funny things happen and I find the 250 a top mount. I travel 80ks round trip to work and all highway, so this little bike is just the job for this and very cheap as well. The main reason I went to the scoot was a swap for the Z plus cash as my partner could not ride the big Z (legs to short) and now I find that life is not just all power but the fun of the ride, and this thing is fun.

“Very reliable scoot with enough power to cope with the...”

written by marjanh on 26/05/2006

Very reliable scoot with enough power to cope with the city traffic and enough underseat storage to store the jacket, laptop etc.

The Yamaha YP250 Majesty Maxi is also suitable for after-work fun ride, although the engine leaks some power.
So the max speed is 120 km/h with my body weight of 86kg and passing the vehicles faster than 90km/h a little bit problematic.

Banking even at higher angles is safe altough you can feel the rear tire tending to drift outside at higher speeds.

Anyway, the scoot is comfortable enough to ride 300km (180miles) weekend round trip without any problem at the optimal speed for comfortable ride at about 90-100km/h (56-62mph)

The clutch needs some additional service personnel attention since during time the scoot tends to show some engine jitter at low revs which makes soft city ride little bit uncomfortable,because you need to use more throttle for smooth acceleration.

The actual fuel consumption is around 4.5L / 100km (52 mpg) 95 octane unleaded fuel. The mileage of the scoot is 28000 km (17400mi).

In general this is a great and handy scooter, easy to ride, very reliable and a good value for the money.

“I bought my gold coloured Yamaha YP250 Majesty Maxi...”

written by drifton on 02/02/2005

I bought my gold coloured Yamaha YP250 Majesty Maxi Scooter as an every day hack to replace my ageing Yamaha commuter bike SR125 (see review). And straight away with its more than adequate engine, I no longer had to rely on being sucked along the motorway by articulated trucks and lorries. In fact I can even overtake them now. The 250 Majesty is suppose to be good for 85mph (!) and its acceleration is brilliant, especially 0 - 30 and 40mph. It is also an excellent tourer at long distance due to its liquid cooled engine. Last year (2004) I travelled in total comfort from Cambridge to Port Talbot in Wales for a Citroen 2CV rally, via Tonbridge in Kent to pick up friends and then back to Cambridge direct. A round trip, according to "MS MapPoint", of 526 miles and all this whilst carrying a tent, sleeping bag, food, cooking gear and a change of clothes (including a leather drovers hat). I even picked up one of those groovy folding, canvas and frame chairs from a service station on route that I slung across the scoot' with bungee-cord! But then I do also have a back box that compliments the " capacious under-seat storage area that easily accommodates two full-face helmets " that the 2001 and onwards model has. Also, in the front, there is a lockable glove box and another small chubby for, I suspect, a mobile phone. So with all this said I could see little point in me going any bigger in cc for this type of commuting machine. I can do all the speed limits with more to spare, I can beat the traffic at the lights and I can do long distance in comfort 400cc (?) 600cc (?) no point, unless you want to help the insurance companies out by giving them more money.

The down side of this bike for me is with the standard screen There is no integral shielding from the elements for your hands, so they get wet and in winter cold; I've since fitted heated grips, which has cured 50% of the problem here. Also at six-foot-two, the screen is far too low for me but I suppose that Yamaha has to make it standard to suit all. However a taller one is available and with hand shields from both Yamaha and Givi but they are expensive.

All in all a great tool for city commuting and transport gentle distance cruising.

Niggle's Response to drifton's Review

Written on: 24/03/2006

I would be interested in your mpg figures and how it is going a year later, TIA

Drifton's Response to drifton's Review

Written on: 27/03/2006

Hello niggle (?),
You ask what mpg I get from my YP250(?), I can only reply by saying how far I get on a tank full. So with a quick calculation it works out to be between 170 to 200 miles. This is everyday day going to work and weekends into town urban riding.
Bought second hand, I have had this scooter since late summer 2003 and it has given no trouble at all. I ALWAYS keep up with the regular oil and brake pad changes and on those occasional long motorway runs, keep it under 70mph (which in the UK you should do anyway). This, above anything else, is the secret of long and problem-free motoring.
Hope This Helps,