Admiral Home Insurance Reviews

4.1

Admiral Home Insurance - Ask a question now

“AVOID Home Emergency Cover”

written by pdtimms on 17/05/2023

My boiler broke down just before the new year, with water leaking out from behind the water pump. Trying to get this resolved with Admirals Home Emergency Cover has been a nightmare. They subcontract this service to third parties, who subcontract this service to third parties, who subcontract themselves, and so on... It took me four separate assessments (and over a month of not heating or hot water) to identify and "fix" the boiler. But in the process, they broke the flue, causing gasses to leak into my house once the boiler was finally operational. They refused to attend before I got the gas board to isoate the supply, then refused to come out because their engineers were NOT GAS SAFE REGISTERED and so couldn't turn the gas back on to test for leaks. Because of the damage caused by their engineers, I have ended up having to buy a new boiler. Combined with other damage caused while the engineers were visiting, and from the incredibly slow resonse times I have experienced, Admiral Home Emergency Cover has actually put me in about £4K of debt. Compounding all this is their terrible customer complaints procedures. The only way to raise a formal complaint is by letter or email, you cannot speak to a complaint handler directly. It took them fifteen weeks to respond to my initial email (the FCA maximum is twelve), and they are yet to respond (five weeks later) to my almost immediate response highlighting where they had misrepresented the facts of my complaint. I have been an Admiral customer for many years, but this experience has thoroughly soured my good sentiment towards them. This is not what you expect when you buy insurance. I reccomend you AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

“73 yo with dementia neglected ”

written by Jacqueline2407 on 10/03/2023

Extensive water damaged to home making it uninhabitable. 3 months on and no work has begun. No communication. Emailed CEO. Complained and called over and over. Very stressful situation. Home is ruined and no one cares.

“Lies, lies and more lies from Admiral”

written by Fraser1908 on 19/01/2023

Lost Eternity Ring We have been customers of Admiral for sometime for all house, contents and car insurance with minimal claims. In early December my wife lost her engagement ring which we had purchased 32 years ago. We contacted Admiral who were initially quick to respond and to offer recompense based on the value of the ring purchased 32 years ago. I explained that I was not happy with what they were offering and they referred me to a Jewellery assessor to revalue the ring. The ring was reassessed at a value of 3.5 times what we had paid. The jewellery assessor notified Admiral on the 13 December of their revalue and were awaiting a response from Admiral. Having not heard anything from Admiral by mid January January, I contacted Admiral directly, who advised that they were still awaiting the report from the Jewellery Assessor (False). We ourselves had to make them aware that the jewellery assessor had emailed ourselves directly to advise us that the report had been submitted to Admiral on the 13th December. Admiral then advised that as the ring wasn’t a specified piece of jewellery on the policy they would be unable to offer the valuation assessment but would offer the maximum value of £1000 which could be paid into my wife’s account.The agent even advised us to pass on my wife’s bank details at that moment to allow a speedier process, should we decide on the cash reimbursement route. Alternatively we could use vouchers from the Jewellery Assessor to the value of £1000 which could be used at a Jeweller’s of our choice. We said we would consider this but, then discovered that the vouchers could not be used against sale rings. Having found a ring that my wife liked, we contacted Admiral to say that we would prefer the cash to be paid into the bank and for a second time gave our bank details plus, as requested, an email to verify my wife’s identity. We also asked the agent to clarify that the full amount of £1000 could be paid as a cash settlement, to which she double checked whilst we were still on the call. This was clarified as yes and she said she would raise the BACS and we could expect the payment would take only 24 hrs, once all my email with evidence of identity had been received . They CLEARLY advised that as the item wasn’t specified on the policy and was worth a larger amount than the £1000 and so also clarified that any excess payment would not need to be deducted. After three days, we contacted Admiral AGAIN to ask why there was a delay of payment and this agent advised us that it was on another team members workload and would transfer us but as this agent wasn’t available, he said he could help us. Yet again, the details of the claim was relayed and he said he didn’t understand what the delay was but would fast action the payment of £1000 immediately to my wife’s account. As payment was still not received 48 hrs later, we contacted Admiral AGAIN, only to be advised by a different agent that the initial report from the assessor had not been received! We then had to repeat everything and said that this was therefore not true! We expressed our dissatisfaction with the whole process as it showed clear evidence of lack of continuity between agents and as a loyal customer, we found the handling of this claim unacceptable. She advised that we could make a formal complaint( as seemingly no supervisor or manager was available) and stated that she would accelerate the BACS payment immediately, as had been promised on TWO previous calls by two DIFFERENT agents. A call later that same day from Admiral advised us that the delay was due to them not receiving the report from the Jewelry Assessor ( which already stated was not true ) They also said that they would not pay the thousand pounds but a figure of £580 and we were wrongly informed by previous members of staff,(sixth false), who had sought clarification from other staff. Following this call I asked to speak to a manager or their Customer Service Director, only to be told that no one was available and that someone would call me back in 24-48 hrs. We are still waiting!

“Woman was rude on the phone to my elderly mother ”

written by Farleyfb120 on 23/08/2022

My elderly mum had a leak in her loft above her bathroom. It caused the ceiling to bow with a water bubble. My husband then phoned admiral insurance and they were great they spoke to him instead of my mum without an issue. Had a plumber call the same day and fixed the leaky pipe. With no charge for this service. This I cannot complain about. They then gave me a number for the building and contents department this is where my issue is. My husband phoned them and asked to speak to them about the ceiling. He told them that he was her son in law and they asked to then speak to my mum for her consent to speak to my husband. The lady on the phone then proceeded to speak to my mum about the claim asking questions about the leak and what it was she wanted. And my mum said can you please speak to my son in law as I’m elderly and get confused. To which she replied I cannot. Then continued to question my mum. Who was then starting to get anxious and confused. After a while the woman on the end of the phone asked what her son in laws name was and his phone number. And said after this claim that her son in law would not be allowed to speak on her behalf ever again. Which I think is a bit off. For what reason this would be I have no idea. My mum then passed the phone to my husband and he tried to speak about the claim and the small lump in the ceiling to which the replied there was an excess fee of nearly £1000 to which my husband replied that a bit much. It’s probably a £100 job at the most. The lady then got even more rude and started ranting on so my husband put the phone down on her. My mums house insurance just renews every year and my mum pays in full. And has never claimed in all her life. I will from now on take an interest and check her insurance every year before she purchases it again. And I can say for certain that she will not be using This insurance company again.

“What a truly vile company this is”

written by awhite120 on 13/01/2022

What a truly vile company this is. Prior to my home insurance auto renewing on 6 Nov 2021 I wrote to Admiral requesting they substitute one expensive item for another of the same value, after a month I received no acknowledgment or documents. I then wrote to the UK Managing Director, not unexpectedly I didn't get the cutesy of a reply from her either. The documents eventually arrived after Christmas together with a demand for a further £25 for making the substitution - I immediately rang them and spoke to a charming young lady who removed the item in question and cancelled the additional charge together with the auto renew for next year as I obviously won't be using this disgraceful outfit again.

“"Thank you for continuing to hold..."”

written by vexed-dew on 27/11/2021

One hour and thirty-five minutes. Let me repeat that again to let it sink in. One hour and thirty-five minutes... on hold with infuriatingly annoying music, only to be told that "no one can take your call, please call back again." I am now phoning the "emergency" number, because quite frankly, I don't give a damn. Up to thirty minutes on hold for the twenty-four hour "emergency" number... let's see how long it takes to get through on their "emergency" number. This is even worse than Barclays. Considering my time is worth £30ph I have to ask myself the very real question of would I have been better off giving my business to AXA or Aviva? Yes, they were slightly more expensive, but considering that I have been on hold--on this call--for over 2 hours (and that doesn't include the other 5 hours on hold in total over the past 2 weeks regarding the same claim). I feel like I may have saved money by giving my business to AXA. At the very least Admiral is proving to be twice as expensive as their competitors... Under no circumstances should you give your business to Admiral. Your call is obviously not important to them, and they will make no attempt to answer it as soon as possible... TWO HOURS AND FORTY-FIVE MINUTES!!! I think I'm losing my mind... I'm going to persevere... pray for me. three hours and twenty-six minutes and i have lost the will to live... Admiral, my obituary will read "believed that his call was important to them and died of hunger." I'm giving up. Admiral, you have defeated me!

“Unexpected end of policy fees”

written by alskdj on 23/07/2021

I took out a home insurance policy for one year which I did not claim on. When I did not renew at the end of the policy they changed me a cancelation fee of £69. I did not want to renew the policy have paid in full at time of purchase . Be very careful of cancelation fees terms and conditions. I will never use this company again.

“With the whole industry being told auto renewal is not...”

written by Phil Clay on 30/06/2021

With the whole industry being told auto renewal is not needed or wanted they take it to a new levels of scummyness. They kept sending me emails (from an email address that doesn't take responses! Nice one ******) saying my renewal was due. I couldn't respond obviously. And the premium had gone up for no reason so I got a better deal for less at a competitor. So I got a letter today saying I owe them £90 for not renewing. Brilliant. So I spoke to a happless staff member who apologised and said she would get rid of the charge. She promised an email confirming the charge had been cancelled but I still haven't got this. Absolutely disgusting behaviour which is going to the ombudsman when I get time. I did not at any point ask for auto renewal and never would as I hate it. It's also interesting that they have turned off comments and feedback on their Facebook site...check others reviews

“Worse insurance I've ever had”

written by 470Glover on 28/11/2019

Worse insurance I've ever had. After years of stying with them, they sent me an email saying my renewal was up, and yet again, they increased it significantly. After having accepted the increase, I received another email saying that now it had increased by another £80 because I had attempted to submit a claim for £200 (my camera which was insured needed a repair as sand had gone into the lense). When I realised that I had to pay an excess of £100 I decided not to go ahead with it. But because I had sent them an email enquiring about this, they increased my renewal by another £80. I called to complain and they said that there was nothing they were able to do about it. I asked to speak to a manager, and they said that not even the manager could resolve this. Never seen something like it. Please, stay away from these guys.

Johnfranktaylor's Comment

Written on: 02/08/2021

Fully agree they need to be forced into Administration

“Theft Claim declined as a group were let in”

written by dwoo84 on 02/10/2017

To finish a night out invited a close friend and a couple of his associates over to realise that two very valuable watches were stolen by one individual whom had left. Police called, spoken to my insurance to be told as they were allowed in I am not covered. Shocked isn't the word.

Kay21's Response to dwoo84's Review

Written on: 28/11/2021

Be careful who you let into your house!

“Hopeless do not use”

written by sgSnow481 on 18/09/2017

They use the cheapest they can get pass the buck to another hopeless company please search around worth paying a little more than the hassle of this outfit

“Unhelpful staff”

written by DrewFox241 on 19/06/2017

Just suffered a burglary and response from helpful appalling. Will never take insurance with them again.

“Crooks”

written by Cormier376 on 07/06/2017

Had a shed break in, tools and copper wire were taken, police report done,me and my ex broke up and he left everything, been doing a rewrire and all tools and surplus wire was in shed, apparently me been female they don't believe a women should have this stuff, all reciepts give were in my ex name, my daughters bike her farther bought isn't covered all due to am not at finacial loss, the items were left to me when we split, the items were on the property, I have given reciepts for most of the items but am not covered. Christmas presents I was bought that got stolen aren't covered as I didn't buy them. They are a joke and just don't want to pay. So I've paid nearly 1500 over 3 years for contents insurance and after all that nothing is covered in the house. Please don't use they will wiggle out of anything

“Ina's review of Admiral”

written by Ina4 on 10/02/2017

I liked dealing with Admiral, their policy seemed the best and not the most expensive but covered what was needed by me and my family so thank you for that, would use you again

“Excellent service, pleasant and helpful staff”

written by EmeryPeck1951 on 20/08/2016

Customer service fantastic - helpful and knowledgeable staff - would definitely recommend

Written on: 15/12/2016

I wish all the luminaries who put excellent reviews on the fact that the person who sold them the policy was polite and helpful. I wish they would put reviews on the service they got while claiming for something.
At the moment, those people are completely distorting the idea of having a reviews website. It's useless.

“Good fast service!”

written by RonaldYoung156 on 19/06/2016

Had no problems sorting out home insurance. Everything was very clear on contents cover. Compared to other insurance companies this gave the best cover and value! I would recommend cover to friends and family

Written on: 15/12/2016

“Feel like I have been mugged”

written by Hippychris on 17/06/2016

Got a policy with Admiral a while ago and all has been well until I changed my address..The new property is more secure with gated access and security, I am on the second floor so no one pops in through my Windows. so I am a little surprised when I am told that even with my no claims discount my policy price has nearly doubled. Not only that but as I checked out other companies before I changed my address thats an extortionate amount compared to other quotes.. and they are going to charge me another £20 to change the policy for the inconvenience of keeping me as a customer.. no change I say, lets cancel and I go somewhere else.. no worries says our helpful Admiral employee, But we are going to penalise you with a £50 charge for leaving us.. so whichever way you choose to go we have you over a barrel and we are going to get more money out of you.. and you don't have a choice. So basically they can quote any silly price they want at you knowing that you either have to pay that or a £50 fee.. I thought insurance was supposed to help you not to get robbed not be part of it, at least my burglar has the common decency to wear a stocking mask as they rob me

Hippychris's Response to Hippychris's Review

Written on: 20/06/2016

As an update on this.. I finally managed to cancel my policy with them after 3 days of them having IT issues.. the leaving price has gone up.. I have had an insurance policy for 6 months and the amount they charged me to leave them after paying them for 6 months was £3 short of the entire price of the policy... work that out of you can

Fblack's Response to Hippychris's Review

Written on: 19/09/2016

Yes. I agree. Same thing happened to me. It's really important that you read the documents they send you by email especially what they intend to take off your card, because they don't tell you the whole story on the phone. I had 6 months left under my current policy which had cost £165 for the whole year and they were going to add on a further £90 for the 6 months on my new, much smaller and safer house, or refund me £14 if I cancelled fully. A joke! I did get it sorted out eventually - they came back and said the computer had made a mistake with the refund price but had I not picked up on it and worked out the figures, i would have been sailed down the river. Don't use this company if you're moving house mid-term.
Not sure what they are like for dealing with claims, as I never had the misfortune of that, but I'm not waiting about to find out!

Hippychris's Response to Hippychris's Review

Written on: 22/06/2016

and a further update: Despite me giving Admiral my card details at 2pm in the afternoon they waited until 3am the following day and made repeated attempts to take the £60. This resulted in the bank putting a stop on my card as they thought it had been cloned and has left me without a bank card just as I go on holiday.. I do however have a stroppy message from Admiral saying I have 48 hours to pay up as their attempt to get the money ( 3 times.. total £180) failed and if I don't pay there will be extra charges.. even though I can no longer pay with my debit card as they had it stopped by trying to take multiple instances of the money in the first place... if I didn't know better I would have said that constituted attempted theft as they have no other explanation for 3 attempts to take the same money apart from a "clerical error".

“basic level home insurance”

written by Reaganu146 on 11/06/2016

I went with Admiral because it came lowest on Compare the Market.com. But it is not as great as it seemed, when you read the details. For example, items in a shed or garage are not covered. I thought I had 14 days grace to cancel my insurance but was told I would be charged about £25 administration fee,so I have stuck with it for this year. Pity, as I have car insurance with Admiral and I thought I would have been treated more fairly.

“Very helpful”

written by Perkins296 on 11/06/2016

Found the Admiral staff member extremely helpful when cArrying out my buildings and contents quotation. Was happy to go through my quote from existing insurer in great detail which was comforting. In addition all questions / doubts were answered satisfactorily. It was also pleasing that the staff member checked whether I was entitled to a loyalty / package discount on my quote. As I have my car insurance with admiral- luckily this was the case. One negative was that I was expecting a call back on my quote the following day and did not get this from that staff member. So at the end of that day (as my cover was close to expiry) I had to call up the general phone line to run over again. Luckily the staff member I reached that day was equally helpful and cover was bound. However this was additional work that I had to do so was not so pleasing. Overall very helpful and happy with service.

Written on: 15/12/2016

“Thanks for the help now we have car and house...”

written by MiltonRobb233 on 09/06/2016

Thanks for the help now we have car and house insurance all in the same place makes sense really.

Asked by jayres on 29th September 2016 Report this content
What is their rating for handling claims?

Thanks for answering this question.

We will email your when your answer is on the site

Asked by shireenalhaydari on 10th June 2014 Report this content
How good is Admiral insurance for household content insurance?

Thanks for answering this question.

We will email your when your answer is on the site

Answers (2)
Report this content chris2fer Written on: 05/08/2015
Please be aware of their excessive administration costs via EIU Ltd
Report this content Hippychris Written on: 30/09/2016
I cannot tell you how good they are in terms of what their policy contains as I never had to claim, however I did try and change a detail in my existing policy with them and not only did they then try and double to policy amount and add a £20 fee to change the policy details but when I objected and went to another company that was the price as Admirals first quote (even with my change) they tried to charge me a variety of amounts from 50 to 70 to cancel my existing policy as they couldn't make their mind up how much they wanted, so be aware they may be great, but if you think that at any time you may need to alter any details in it, like add an additional high value item, or add a name on the policy then its not a pleasant experience.