Sainsburys Car Insurance Reviews

Sainsburys Car Insurance - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Sainsburys Car Insurance

Sainsburys Car Insurance

“Took my money”

Written on: 05/10/2022 by 289McCabe (1 review written)

Useless customer service Took my money Didn't give it back Terrible company

“Rubbish Rubbish Rubbish ”

Written on: 11/07/2022 by Iosif01 (1 review written)

Worse experience ever. Got 3 points and called them up to let them know so they can add it on my policy and it came back from them that they can't insure me anymore. And in the same morning my direct debit been collected by them. And I've seen no money back from them. I don't recommend them. They are the Worse I even seen.

“Auto renew cheats”

Written on: 05/10/2021 by MiyaWhite (1 review written)

As insurers I had no problem, however phoning multiple lines, being on hold for a combined 5 hours, cut off numerous times and a very rude customer service rep, I applaud anyone who manages to prevent their auto renewal. My partner has a policy renewing with AA last week and was sorted in under 30 minutes. Sainsburys = disgrace. Do not get trapped by them.

“worst car insurers ever”

Written on: 04/10/2021 by BOPPERLULA (1 review written)

tried numerous phone numbers ,and listened to more automated voices and music for absolute ages and no response! and if you are ever lucky to get through. they will probably put the phone down on you or let you continue to listen too more music.. they have to be the worst most stressful insurance company on the planet. there should be tougher laws to deal with companies like these. they will put up your insurance and auto renew it. but you don't stand a chance of being able to cancel your car policy! unless you cancel your banks direct debit. be WARNED !!

“Cannot talk to anyone”

Written on: 28/09/2021 by Robby71 (1 review written)

I've just spent 50 mins on hold in the queue system trying to speak to someone about cancelling the auto renew for my car insurance as i can get it £100 cheaper. Absolute joke not being able to cancel this online, no email to contact them and no-one will answer the phones Never again will i use these idiots..............................

“Unable to Contact to Discuss Car Renewal”

Written on: 13/09/2021 by Yeseniad303 (1 review written)

Car Insurance was due for renewal mid September 2021 tried to contact them to discuss price etc. Tried numerous times on the phone at differing times of the day but always on hold 30 mins to 45 mins each time before I hung up. No email address to contact them either - absolutely disgusting from a very large company I would not recommend anyone goes with these for car insurance whatsoever. Went with a different well known car insurance provider in the end and got it a lot cheaper.

“Can't get through”

Written on: 31/08/2021 by caLane292 (1 review written)

Been trying to get through to cancel my car insurance renewal as it is over £100 more expensive than last year,despite no claims and an extra years no claims discount on top. First attempt I could not get through for over half an hour, and as I type this I have been waiting for 39 min to have the phone answered, all the while listening to an annoying answerphone that encourages me to try out their life and home insurance and thanks me for waiting... No I don't think I ever use you again if you cant even get through.

“avoid at all costs”

Written on: 17/07/2021 by Potterbk141 (1 review written)

It in not possible to amend on line , I wanted to add a temporary driver, you can for the policy period but not for say 7 days, the customer service team must be in a coma , nobody answers the phone , I have spent 6hrs over two working days , and nope , nothing . use an insurance company, I chose them to save 100 quid, what an error that was

“car insurance”

Written on: 05/10/2019 by woodville22 (1 review written)

I took car insurance out with Sainsburys I received no documents I had to phone them to send them to me when I got them some of my details had been put down incorrect by the adviser I corrected them and had to pay a extra cost I sais to them why should I pay extra when it was there mistake and was told I could cancel my insurance if I dident want to pay the extra but I took it out a month ago but just receive the documents and would probally have had to pay a fee d so paid the extra cost the adviser wasent very helpful so I wont be takeing out car insurance with them again

“Utter incompetence!”

Written on: 18/12/2018 by soBarrett238 (1 review written)

I have been insured with Sainsbury’s underwritten by Zenith for two years. The first year was great, they were pretty cheap and everything was handled online. The acid test of any insurer is when things go wrong! In June this year I was unfortunate to be hit by a HGV on the M6 after it drifted into my lane. Reported it all and that’s where the process goes horribly wrong. Although you contact Sainsbury’s initially they cannot wait to palm you off to the underwriter, who appear to be staffed by the most inept imbeciles ever to walk the earth. Forty minute plus wait times for their number are the norm and once you actually get to speak to a human being you get a different story each time. Trying to get a sensible update on your claim is next to impossible. The call handlers promise to chase and update you on progress and that’s the last you ever hear until you speak to a completely different individual the next time you call them. In the end my solicitors actually got the third party to admit liability and recovered my costs (while it would appear the Zebith liability team spent months sitting on their hands doing absolutely nothing). They also recovered all of Zenith’s costs and posted a cheque to them. Great I thought I would get my No Claims back - nothing, no communication at all. Eventually chased them up this week after getting sick of waiting to be told that there was no update on my claim. When I challenged this the call handler checked the system and advised me that they had received a cheque but had done nothing with it! Had to go and talk to someone else leaving me hanging on hold before coming back and telling me the reason that they had done nothing was the cheque was £25 light as it did not include a cost for an engineer that had assessed my vehicle (which they had forgotten to add to the list of their costs to claim they had sent my solicitor). So until they get the missing £25, which was their fault, they will not reinstate my full No Claims. If you want to tear your hair out dealing with idiots who seem unable to perform the simplest and most straight forward task then feel free to insure your car through Sainsbury’s and Zenith. If you don’t pick another option from the comparison site!

“Very upsetting experience ”

Written on: 16/10/2018 by Grady112 (1 review written)

As Sainsburys supermarket are a reputable supermarket, I bought car insurance with confidence.I could not have been more wrong. I found the whole experience, making a claim stressful and upsetting. I feel I have been treated very shoddily. I think they behave unprofessional.

“Sainsbury total failures”

Written on: 11/04/2018 by osBowen26 (1 review written)

My wife was with this useless company. Some idiot went into her car side on. Sainsbury didnt even try to pursue claim when the other lying driver thought he could get away with not admitting liability. Disgusting insurer dont go with them as they will deffo let u down zero out of five.

“Rubbish ”

Written on: 29/01/2018 by boohoo12 (1 review written)

I had insurance with these paid on time every month then when it comes to transferring from my old car to a new car they refused to do so then when cancelling policy wanting me to pay a fee yet can't do one thing I asked for! Customer service is appalling the CEO don't do anything apart from pass on to complaints team been over a week and still nothing been done would not recommend these to anyone!!!!

“took out recovery cover with my insurance”

Written on: 03/01/2018 by KristinaSchofield (1 review written)

Been with Sainsbury Insurance for 3 years and have always had the recovery cover offered by them. It is Green Flag but they are covered via Sainsbury. Never had to use any of it until today. Car broke down on way home from work, rang Sainsbury, told there was a 10 minute wait to speak to an operator and they would call back. Waited 20 minutes and tried again to be told I was still in the queue. Finally rang me back, girl was very polite and helpful but informed me I was only covered for 10 miles and one stop. Bare in mind I have business cover as I travel a lot with work and company well aware of this. Luckily garage I wanted to go to was 5 miles away and the Green Flag man was excellent but wasn't able to take me home after I dropped car outside garage. She also informed me should the car break down for same reason within 28 days I wouldn't be covered. None of this was explained when I took cover out and feel really annoyed. reading reviews on here don't think I will be staying with them. The Green Flag man was very nice and told me they charge £3 a mile over 10 miles. So if you break down in the middle of nowhere after 10 miles you are on a meter.

“Rubbish ”

Written on: 04/11/2017 by Kayleigh204 (1 review written)

Received on 1/11 letters dates 25/9, ,2/10, 14/10, 20/10 all together to let me know first that they need more documents, second to remind me of documents, third to advise me they were cancelling my policy and fourth to advise me they had cancelled my policy. So I’ve been driving the country for the past 2 weeks completely oblivious to the fact I’ve had no car insurance because it apparently takes them 6 weeks to get a letter to me. Idiots

Murphymoo's Comment

Written on: 09/11/2017

Exactly the same happened to me - I'm going to take it to the Ombudsmen,

Read 1 Comment

“Waited on the phone for 20 minutes and I'm a potential...”

Written on: 01/10/2017 by Porterec87 (1 review written)

Waited on the phone for in excess of 20 minutes and I'm a potential new customer. Absolutely appalling. GET MORE STAFF!! Your reviews are about the same as I feel. I wish you had recorded my call!!

“Avoid,Avoid,Avoid”

Written on: 22/08/2017 by Victor314 (1 review written)

The price seemed too good to be true on the comparison site and it was! Involved in what appeared to be a staged accident in December 2016, Travelling at night and at low speed down a built up side road, a stationary car with no lights on pulled off from the kerb into my path with no warning. All seemed well after initially contacting Sainsburys the following morning....."a straightforward non fault claim" I was advised. A week later I was contacted by the injuries department to say the third party had suffered whiplash(the accident took place at under 15mph as I had almost come to a stop). The lady who contacted me sounded like she would rather see me prosecuted for assault than consider the third party may be telling porkies(she did admit she could not understand the circumstances!!). Within the first 5 mins she was trying to get me to agree to a 50/50 settlement on liability, which there was no way I was going to consider. There then followed what can only be described as a farcical list of mistakes by Sainsburys, their underwritters UK Insuance, parent company Direct Line and UK Assistance their chosen repair shop, who all participated but seemed incapable of communicating with each other. I was given a credit hire car instead of a courtesy car (leaving me liable for costs), my own car was incorrectly assessed by UK Assistance who told a number of stories and would have returned it in a dangerous condition if I had not challenged them, suspicious nature of accident and other drivers identity only investigated after months of complaining and threat of proceeding to court independently. My complaint over their handling of the claim was not investigated and finally in February they admitted they had settled the claim with the third party the first week in January(less than a month after the collision) and could give no reason why they had done so and before the complaint had been processed through their own procedure. They did eventually agree to reinstate my NCB, excess and pay several hundred pounds compensation as a result of the mistakes they had made. Although a result to a degree but in no way changed the level of upset and stress caused over the previous months or the fact they would of taken my NCB rather than carry out a fair and reasonable investigation.

“Rude and can't get their paper work together!”

Written on: 10/05/2017 by LilahMoody1962 (1 review written)

I wrote off my car in February and it has only just compleated due to loosing my claim paperwork!( now 10th May!) I was not given a company car luckily I borrowed my dad's car. They tried to make their money back by quoting me 1600 to renew, however I found it elsewhere for 659! I called them last week to check my NCD and they told me 5 years, I asked for proof of no claims discount to be sent out which they sent out a form of jibberish that wasnt even a certificate, so I contacted them today to be told I have 2 years after driving for 6 years and gaining 2 years NCD in my first year, I said the lady must have been mistaken as I was told I had 5 years, 4 days prior to this conversation, she was then extreamly rude to me so I asked for her name which she refused to give me her name. I will not be back at a later date and I will not recommend this company atall!!

“Horrendous ”

Written on: 09/07/2016 by Mo1782 (1 review written)

The initial process was fine. Two months later we get a letter saying something is wrong and the only way to contact them is by phone, otherwise in 10 days our insurance will be cancelled. After this I got worried, so I called them. It took me four days to get a person on the phone, and after this things just got worse. They were unhelpful, recited wrong information to me about ongoing case which were closed months ago. Basically the problem was, what they quoted us was a too low of a price and made up some BS to void it. Wouldn't recommend them to anyone, very unprofessional.

“Awful Customer service ”

Written on: 25/05/2016 by 212465 (1 review written)

I had my car insurance there for over 3 years and I cancelled my policy as I found cheaper elsewhere. When I called up they were nothing but rude and 2 months later I had debt collection agency at my door with no previous letters saying i owed money. Sainsburys had sent all letters to my old address and then did nothing about it and I ended up paying over 1000 pound to a dept collection agency. Absolute disgrace.

Asked by shielsy on 13th April 2014 Report this content
Do you have a list of approved repairers ?

Thanks for answering this question.

We will email your when your answer is on the site

Answers (1)
Report this content Qvide Written on: 14/04/2014
No but rated trader are good or myhammer is really good. Rated trader was good at sorted out issue I wasn't happy with.