Halifax Car Insurance Reviews

Halifax Car Insurance - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Halifax Car Insurance

Halifax Car Insurance
Halifax Car Insurance

“Exorbitant fees for the slightest changes.”

Written on: 27/06/2022 by Dianax172 (1 review written)

Within days of taking out my policy I changed my car. To change the details cost me £80. Today I enquired about changing the named driver on my policy. The amendment fee is £25. The online facility for changing the named driver has been de-activated - I presume that by forcing you to contact a person they can then claim an admin fee. I will not be using Halifax Car Insurance Again.

“CUSTOMER SERVICE ”

Written on: 04/05/2018 by vmHolder433 (1 review written)

After setting up car insurance prior to going away and emphasising I would be out of the country for several weeks so would need to forward any required documentation asap I was informed this would not be necessary. Went away very happy and confident car insured. Result - car insurance was cancelled whilst I was away because the underwriter had written asking for paperwork, but letter was not received by me as I was then in Australia. Therefore documents not sent and the only correspondence I did receive was an e mail informing me of voidance of policy. this leaving my car uninsured. I e mailed to explain the situation and asked if they would contact underwriter to give me time to send paperwork. I was told this was not possible. After several phone calls and e mails the voidance was lifted but I had to get a new policy which was more expensive than original and did not include named drivers. I have tried today to add drivers and after 30 minutes on phone speaking to young lady who, I am sorry to say, appeared not to have a clue and I gave up the task after almost 30 minutes. I have now tried to register online but details not known message!!!!!! This is what you get for going for cheaper policy.

“Cancellation ”

Written on: 27/01/2018

My halifax car insurance taken out 9 Jan 18. Sold car 27th Jan 18. Halifax wanted to charge me £185 cancellation. Eventually they charged £135 for 18 days worth of insurance which would only have been £350 for the year!

“Rubbish in the event of a claim”

Written on: 24/01/2018 by sd61753 (2 reviews written)

Halifax car insurance was a good price (not the cheapest) with good levels of cover. I was involved in a non fault accident where i was rear ended by another party whilst stationary in traffic. My policy was due for renewal last week and they held myself liable for the accident on the basis that their file was still open as they are pursing a recovery of their outlay from the at fault party, liability was admitted by the offending vehicle's insurer two days after the accident, and i have been left penalised because of internal procedures. Halifax put my premiums up by £1,000.00 even though they had admission of liability, therefore will receive reimbursement of their outlay. Three days after my policy with Halfax lapsed, they received full reimbursed. Claims handlers need training as this to me was common sense. Halifax do not adhere to FCA guidelines, they should include all known material facts as (good faith) to their client, and should provide alternative insurers being an intermediary. Absolute joke!!

“PLEASE AVOID - TOTAL RIP OFF!!”

Written on: 25/08/2017 by Alexay238 (1 review written)

One morning in Sept'15 whilst on my way to work & a minute away from my home, a young guy came racing around a corner and because he couldn't stop, crashed into the side of my car. Although he admitted at the scene that he was rushing because he was late for work & I had a witness, Halifax advised me to use their experts in order to have my car repaired even though I had already obtained a quotation from a local garage (£850) but because I have been a customer for over 10 yrs, went on their advice - BIG MISTAKE!!! - (Halifax over £2,000 charged to repair) - After nearly 12 months of trying to get the claim resolved, all chasing done on my behalf, Halifax staff totally rubbish! - Without my permission, Halifax went ahead and settled the claim as 'Bump for Bump' even though there was no damage to the other car, plenty to mine. Having 9 yrs No Claim Bonus, I was astounded when I was presented with a new quote last year for over £100 extra per year on my policy. I queried & was advised that it was an error! However my new policy has just arrived for this yr, yet again it is over £100 more. So I compared it with RAC. Surprise, surprise. As no other contact other than telephone, I rang & spoke to a 'Very unhelpful and argumentative Customer Advisor' who just kept saying that it was correct because I had made a claim, but after several requests for him to check my policy, he very reluctantly agreed, & because I had a speeding fine, my policy went from £474.53 to over £600. He is also charging me extra on my final premium due in a few days time(???) - As you can imagine I told him exactly where he can stick his policy. I have just renewed with RAC for £380. Just a bit of a slight difference - Robbing Gits!!!! PS - Be warned all extras they provide, total waste of money!!!

“Unhelpful and greedy”

Written on: 19/08/2017 by Abelf418 (1 review written)

Don't use them. If you want to buy a new car but keep temporary cover on the old one while you sell it, they can't help and you'll have to switch to another company - in my case Churchill, who were helpful and reasonably priced.

“No point confamation”

Written on: 12/05/2017 by Jakobe192 (1 review written)

Why won't they give you this. I had a accident,not my fault. Was paid out. The Halifax will not give me confirmation that I have 6years no claims.WHY They just want your money,More and more money Don't use them,pay a bit more somewhere else. Halifax,stop dragging your feed serve your CUSTOMERS'

“Cancellation Charge rip off”

Written on: 13/03/2017 by Berryhv465 (1 review written)

We used Halifax insurance for the first and last time, as when we sold our car the other day, after only 4/5 months insurance cover with the Halifax, they charged us £55 cancellation fee, and £22 for some spurious extras that we had already paid for in the monthly premium, which had, in fact, already gone out just 7 days before. I was very taken aback, as I've never heard of this practice before - when you cancel insurance, maybe a small admin fee, but not £77!! For monthly insurance cover of around £40, it is very excessive, and we had paid a set up fee - and then they hold your no claims benefit over you, so if you don't pay, you don't get your no-claims documentation. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

Jackiel3's Comment

Written on: 02/03/2018

totally agree, this has just happened to me! never had this before and they wouldn't let me change my car and pay a slightly higher premium until the end of the insurance period, I was told I had to start a new policy - they then quoted me a stupidly high figure taking my premiums from 16 a month to 30!! of course I said it was too high, and obviously cancelled securing them a nice 55 pound fee. Not happy at all!!!!!!

Hatty60's Comment

Written on: 01/09/2021

Just done this too me we have been with Halifax Ins 3 years!! no loyalty whatsoever, never use again!!

Read 2 Comments

“do not use this company”

Written on: 03/03/2017 by Simshr318 (1 review written)

again , chines box system hit again, it's not my fault ask to claim company, claim company said this is not included in our contract go back to customer service, customer service told me it's better to talk with claim company etc....

“Waste of time. Avoid”

Written on: 22/02/2017 by PeeBee1 (1 review written)

My insurance was up for renewal, so using a comparison website, I selected Halifax. Big mistake. I accepted the quote, filled in the online form, paid the deposit and set up the direct debit. They emailed the documents, and all appeared to be fine. Sorted, or so I thought. Four days later, I received a letter cancelling my policy. No reason given, or explanation. I was forced to ring them on a premium rate number, where I was put on hold for ages, before being told that I had allegedly put in my wife's date of birth incorrectly, which hadn't shown any previous accident claims, on which they had based their quote. Absolute tosh!! I'd given them the details of all claims, and they were on the schedule they'd sent to me. Avoid this company. I now have to wait for them to refund my premium.  is alive and well, and trading as a car insurance provider.

“Hopeless”

Written on: 31/01/2017 by Lilahh255 (1 review written)

Being involved in non fault collision I rang claimline to get my vehicle recovered 4 calls to tell me no record of policy, that folks was with certificate number, the police tell me I'm uninsured. Finally learn they have made typo error, oh yes we'll correct, check online it's still wrong go to online banking I've been charged to correct there error. Utterly useless. Too much stress for someone who's been unconscious and has concussion do you need the hassle?

“Stay away from this insurer”

Written on: 22/01/2017 by 499Finch (1 review written)

Excessive admin charges to alter simple things on your policy such as change of address. Customer service very poor. Quick to take your money but slow to process any refunds. Unfriendly and inflexible. Gives Halifax a bad name. The worst car insurance company I've dealt with in 30 years.

“Avoid like the plague!! ”

Written on: 15/01/2017 by flBradshaw218 (1 review written)

I called to cancel a policy and get quote on a new car. Advisor told me policy had been cancelled and just to cancel the debit with the bank I asked him more than once are you sure this's has been cancelled I don't want to be paying for a policy on a car I don't have anymore. Started to receive letters from them regarding the old policy I.e. missed payments been told policy was not cancelled when I rang and I owed them £149 or there about. Was told to get confirmation from DVLA when I sold previous car and it could be backdated which I have done only to find out they have cancelled the policy and passed it to a debt collection agency. Absolute shambolic handling of a situation I got the feeling advisor was just after commission probably hadn't cancelled the policy in the first place. I would definitely not advise using this company I wish I had read these reviews first. Dreadful

“Absolutely avoid”

Written on: 02/01/2017 by Newtonpt1985 (1 review written)

I had the most traumatic experience with Halifax car insurance! Please, please don't use them! They say they'll ring you back, they don't. Three times they said they would call me back. I needed my car to help my 85 year old mother. I was without a car whilst I sorted out car insurance with an other, very reliable company. Never, ever would I recommend Halifax to anyone!

“Avoid”

Written on: 22/12/2016 by iaGlass379 (1 review written)

When making a claim Halifax expects you to do all the work I.e. you have to contact their underwriters to arrange repair and courtesy car. All Halifax are interested in is passing your information onto dubious no win no fee solicitors to earn commission. They will harass any passengers you in the car during the accident trying to convince them to make an injury claim. If Halifax put in this much effort into repairing your car then they would be a good company. P.so. my car has been sat on my drive for 3 months and I'm still waiting for them to send someone out to inspect the damage.

“When you have a accident!”

Written on: 19/12/2016 by Penn81 (1 review written)

Someone hit my car whilst it was parked up, knew who did it so tried getting him repair quotes but was too expensive, long story short put a claim in they use a company called Proximo Law, which throw you pillar to post, you ring the halifax claim line and you are just passed around the call centre. Trying to book car in for repair and get a courtesy car is a ball ache! When I was with Churchill they sorted it for you, but with Halifax you do all the legwork yourself. You best off driving without insurance!

“Waste of time filling application ”

Written on: 23/10/2016 by 83Almeida (1 review written)

Waste of time filling application online than it say no service and call the number,after all they dont take nigative review too , i hope ppl see the one i am writing now

“Awful rude service”

Written on: 14/10/2016 by Parker168 (1 review written)

This company have written my car off from someone else hitting me and now they are double charging me insurance and fees coming out of everywhere say not charging me as done through the other parties insurance but take the money out of my bank. Awful company roll on end of January and I leave them but bet that's not easy. Never ever use this company.

“Never go with them again”

Written on: 18/09/2016 by Devon99 (1 review written)

I took out my policy in January and this week bought a new car. I thought like in previous policies it would be a simple job to provide my new car details and arrange to pay any difference in premium. However that was not the case. I provided my car registration number make and model only to be told that my make and model was not on the list. They could find the 4WD version but would not accept that there was a 2WD version even though thousands have been sold. The girl on the end of the phone told me because of this they could not provide cover, however if I paid a further £8 they would continue to insure me for a further 2 weeks for me to arrange alternative cover. The useless thing for this was it was for my old car which I no longer owned!!! She then went off to speak to her supervisor and came back to advise I would have to pay 69p to cancel, I told her that wasn't going to happen so off she went again and came back after another 10 mins to advise on this occasion they would waive the 69p whoopee!! To finish it all off I went onto a comparison website I imputted my correct make and model and low and behold Halifax provided a quote!! Can't believe such shoddy service, would never use them again and would definitely not recommend, I think some training wouldn't go amiss with their call centre staff.

“Rubbish Rubbish Rubbish”

Written on: 21/08/2016 by sqRoberts388 (1 review written)

My car was sent to a garage for repair work, it came back in a worse state than it went in. Called Halifax to explain and they passed the buck saying the garage would deal with it and it was nothing to do with them even though they had told me to use them. The garage was terrible to deal with and very rude. Wish I d stayed with Direct Line