John Fowler, St. Ives Holiday Village Reviews

John Fowler, St. Ives Holiday Village
2.2

John Fowler, St. Ives Holiday Village - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for John Fowler, St. Ives Holiday Village

“Disappointed, won't be returning ”

written by Nikki81 on 16/05/2024

Booked a gold swiss style chalet. Furnishings were nice however there were cobwebs all around, headboards not even attached to single beds. Banister had most of the paint missing/ worn away. Hand and finger prints all over the patio doors. Broken glass in the cupboard. Blockage in the shower revealed black hair clogging the drain. No wifi in this area of the park also. Complained and the receptionist apologized and moved us to a caravan with wifi which we were happy with. Only able to have 45 mins per swim session which has to booked the night before. We went to check out the late disco but the place was empty. Decided to have a few games of pool and was told we had approx 3 mins to finish our game as they were closing. This was at 10.30 when the disco was meant to start and run till late. The park just seems very outdated with little to do on site especially if you have teenagers. We even came back a day early.

“Smelly caravan and unclean”

written by Boatman1964 on 09/09/2023

I have just booked in to a platinum, caravan Lodge to find when putting my clothes away to find socks and pants belonging to the previous guests , I also found colouring pencils under the table in the front room. And the smell in the caravan lodge is unpleasant this has not been cleaned at all. There was lipstick on one of the glasses and the platinum caravan lodge is very tired.

“OK for a base”

written by KhloeHead1952 on 03/09/2023

Great for a base. Close to many great places. All driving distance. And there is a bus to take you to various places. Not the best Park. Accommodation were minimum. (We didn't even have a spatular) there were holes in doors and walls. No little touches (lamps, cushions etc) the WIFI didn't work, the decking was tiny and the large bench just didn't go. The decking was burnt. The site location is great for exploring Cornwall. Staff are friendly but there is not "holiday park" vibe. We came in the last week of the summer holidays, staff looked like they didn't want to be here. The 'entertainment' were repetitive. The "children's entertainment was literally one person on stage making the kids run around and dance. Same everyday. The evening entertainment were mostly one of the staff singing. When offsite entertainment came they were ok. In-between "entertainment ' the music was just repetitive. Same every night. There were minimal staff, ques to the bar were long, check in was slow. They changed to "off peak" as we were there. TBH there were no difference other than the kids bingo was chargeable and they actually received prizes instead of a certificate. The kids bingo was the same every night. Food was good but they often shut early, (the usual time was 9pm?) Yet they were shutting at 8-8.30. Great base to explore Cornwall but definitely does not give a "holiday park vibe" ok if you just want somewhere to sleep and a pint on an evening.

“Beautiful surroundings however accommodation shabby”

written by Vaughn97 on 01/07/2023

The location was lovely but really outdated. The accommodation I stayed in was full of spiders and cobwebs in most of the rooms. The newly fitted bathroom was not fitted properly the toilet wobble and no coving around the pipes. the heaters was almost falling off the wall. No wi fi connection in the accommodationb i had to go up to the main reception. The swimming pool area very shabby. The woodland area was lovely the staff was lovely.

“Briliant place good location”

written by Natharrop on 26/02/2023

Just come back after 4 nights during half term.... Amazing... Lodge was super clean, tidy, modern... Location brilliant close to St Ives and in lovely woodland Entertainment was great more then we expected with a daytime kids club the. Loads to do in the evenings, drinks reasonably priced at the bar... Food in the restaurant was superb we had pizza and burgers we saw the fish and chips from another table and it looked good... Big portions. We had an awesome time and would definitely recommend and go back if we get the chance.

“DO NOT BOOK ”

written by etGonzalez394 on 26/08/2022

Awful place never stay here shocking accommodation and they are not fit for anyone to stay in , over crowded short staffed as all cleaners left 2 weeks ago General Manager at St Ives Holiday Village lied to us as we were promised a refund for our disgusting chalet and we never got it so she is a liar and can't be trusted ruined my child's holiday no memories created here just awful...If you like the smell of bleach and dog poo and the smell of smoke that's in the curtains and floor to the point it makes you physically sick

“HORRENDOUS ”

written by MarieClarke1111111 on 27/08/2020

We had a weeks holiday booked at the John Fowler St Ives holiday park, and it was a nightmare from the moment we arrived. We were allocated chalet 299 which is apparently Gold standard....from the moment we opened the door our holiday went downhill. The place absolutely stank, the bedsheets were wet so we tried to dry them, to find the heating was broken. The kids mattresses had springs sticking out, we complained multiple times, and eventually had the mattresses replaced with mouldy ones (photos attached) Then the bathroom sink leaked everywhere, so maintenance came out and said all the pipes have come off the wall, so they fixed that, we tried to locate the smell and found it was because at the back and said of the chalet/shed the earth and leaves had piled high and caused damp in the cladding, so they came and dug it all out. Great for a long term solution but for us the smell remained and was unbearable Tried to book into the pool, it was closed everyday as no heating, tried to find another place to stay, but was impossible as no WiFi Tried to stay in our room, but we all were covered in bites, and sick from the stench. We left early to go home and were given a refund for the 2 days left on our holiday. No refund given for sticking us in a mouldy, damp, dirty shed. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!! if you are forced to stay in this hell hole, say hi to the man in the cookhouse, he was the only good thing about our stay, the cookhouse which is nothing to do with John Fowler is a pleasant and welcome restaurant and the staff are all fantastic

“Disgusting not fit for a dog”

written by Bell1065 on 25/10/2017

We arrived Friday night for a lovely weekend , than we were given our keys , shock horror at what we saw , never in my life have I seen anything so disgusting, the smell hit us as soon as we opened the door , it was filthy there were holes in the window and the door was rotten , what can I say about the funiture , there’s not words to describe it , reception staff not helpful they seem to think it’s a big joke , club house is tired and smells people were taping umbrellas to chairs cause roof is leaking , worst holiday I have ever been on , only words of advice I can give is DO NOT GO DISGUSTING

Bluebird999's Response to Bell1065's Review

Written on: 04/02/2019

The chalet we had ( bronze) was very similar ( to above) but we had a little extra which was human excrement smeared on the wall in the living room.

“Worst holiday ever”

written by Siennat1976 on 29/09/2016

Stayed in silver rated chalet for four nights, thank god it was no more than that and thankfully weather was dry. It's beyond comprehension how this company can take people's money and let them stay in these rabbit hutches!! As soon as we arrived we could smell the dampness we had heater on in lounge not because it was cold but to try and eliminate the damp odour but this wasn't very successful ! The shower dripped out it did not flow I could not wash my hair I had to go to a family members home to do this ! Luckily we had that option, I didn't feel clean at all using the chalets shower. Also the hot water tank is in main bedroom the noise it made at night was awful woke us up several times, my husband turned it off in the morning and we had to boil kettle to wash up dishes. The television was the size of a laptop screen, ok you don't expect the largest tv but you do expect one that is a little larger than that !! I reported these problems to reception, the gentleman was friendly enough but I got the impression he had heard it all before and nothing would get done! Which it didn't !! We have stayed at many holiday parks over the years, we even went on budget holidays with the Sun years ago but they were all far more superior to this John Fowler site. These chalets need to be demolished as I would say they are unfit for humans to stay in even our dog was miserable and we weren't surprised, it wasn't fit for a dog !! The saving was the area is lovely, we go to Cornwall frequently during the year and stay with family and at other venues, we only stayed here as our family member was moving house. To say I am disappointed would be an understatement, but I wonder if John Fowler even take note of these reviews, I have my doubts as I've read reviews from last year which more or less say the same and yet they are still taking people's money and letting them stay in these awful decrepit places. Shame on you John a Fowler !!

“Damp unclean and smelly!”

written by TaniyahStrickland on 12/10/2015

Ok we had budget accommodation this time....it was terrible! The Windows wouldn't shut properly which is a security risk....and well not to put to finer words on This I have seen better looking sofas on a rubbish tip my arms kept sticking to the material which was black and sticky not to mention the damp waking up every time I turned over in bed because the spring's made that much noise....he'll it was hard and I would have slept better on the floor! The only saving grace it had was we could just about see the tree's through the condensation of the window! My chest is rattling and I am glad to be home. Won't be going there again!!!!

“Great family holiday”

written by KayleighMorris on 26/07/2015

Had family holiday June 13-20. We had such an awesome time mostly thanks to the amazing entertainment team. My family age range 21,19,12,4. All had such a lot of fun every evening on the club, we were thoroughly entertained, laughed till we cried every evening. The younger children were so well looked after and made to feel very special. Recommend this park for any family.

“horrible ”

written by urMahoney27 on 29/06/2015

Sent the wife for nice relaxing weekend away. She checked in at 4 and texted me at ten past to say that the chalet is disgusting damp and smelly. .....should have known better JOHN FOWLER never again

“DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

written by ArelyMattingly255 on 02/10/2014

Ok so we arrived at chalet 18, it was unbearable, dated, dirty, smelly, and as for the bathroom what a disgrace. Complained then we went into chalet 50, well that wasn't fit for a dog let alone a couple with a 13month old and that was a higher grade!! Asked for a refund they then offered us another chalet so into 245 we go, it smelt damp and sweaty, the bathroom floor was filthy and no way useable, and no where for a travel cot so off to reception we go (reception supposed to be there until 7) we got there at 6.20 to be told reception had all gone and we would have to phone tomorrow for a refund. Spoke to 2 very unhelpful ladies in which at first they would only refund the service charge and not the accommodation fee, I then made about 20calks between them and break free who we originally booked through and it was down to John fowler holiday to refund me the whole amount, instead they think it's acceptable to refund me minus a booking fee which there where obliged to refund the whole amount bearing in mind we had to drive home that night because the accommodation was that terrible, we should have been refunded in full and compensated for our trouble. DO NOT STAY , a tent would have been better !!!!!!

“Terrible stench and mould. ”

written by KingCos on 23/08/2014

Location nice but silver bungalow damp, smelly and dirty. Lawn outside littered and outside of building unkept and in need of tlc. Me and hubby very dissapointed but tried to stop kids holiday from being ruined so stayed out as long as possible. Spent money and time cleaning all rooms but could not deter horrible smell.. It had permeated all walls, wood and fabric of building. Love St Ives but not John Fowler holiday. Never again. Would not recommend.

“Brilliant time after time”

written by May1987 on 29/05/2014

My husband and I (plus dog) have been going to John Fowlers in St. Ives for the last seven years. We take the same route each time and as we turn into the driveway we both say 'home again'. To all who have complained about the smell of damp, the insects found on arrival, the less than perfect paintwork inside and the small bathrooms I would say; for goodness sake people, you're staying in a wooden structure ... in the middle of a wood! What did you expect, the Hilton. It's the closest thing to camping without having canvas over your head, and we just love it.

“Silver Chalet?? Outrageous...”

written by efColeman319 on 07/05/2014

OK, so we had this weekend as complimentary to 'renew our faith in John Fowler Holidays' after our stay at Ilfracombe. We thought that at least they might make sure we were put up in a decent chalet. Hell, no. The silver chalet stank of damp as soon as we opened the door. Yes, it was an improvement on Ilfracombe, but quite frankly, that wasn't hard. The kitchen area was pretty clean. The bathroom light switches were black with mould and dirt at the bottom. The outside of the chalets were covered in algae, dirt and debris. We've just come back and I've honestly washed everything, including the children, because it just felt so grimy there. It didn't help that the swimming pool had a big sign outside saying 'please shower before using pool to keep the pool clear of cryptosporidium'. That's a diarrhea bug...they've obviously had problems with it! Would we accept another weekend with John Fowler to 'renew our faith'? NO WAY!!

“danger don,t go there”

written by on 09/09/2013

me and my girlfriend have been doing sun holidays for years and we always have the budget accomadation and have always had decent places to stay in but this place stinks,how they get away with letting people pay to stay in them the mind boggles,they should pay you.if you do decide to go here take a hoover some plug in air freshners and a tin of paint.we told the woman at reception that it smelled of damp but she then said they know they have a damp problem.the answer DON,T LET PEOPLE STAY IN THEM THEN.she did say about a upgrade but what we could make out talking to others,they were all as bad.we did,nt pay a lot of money but the least you expect is the place to be clean.we love st ives and cornwall but this gives it a bad name we won,t be going there again and that is the most daming thing I can say about this place.DON,T GO THERE YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

“Was worried by reviews, but have booked again read on!!!!”

written by KIMANDED on 14/10/2012

October 6 – 13 2012 5 adults: myself, my husband 2 grown up children & one of their partners. Have just got back from St Ives holiday Village, Oakleigh bungalow ( budget one) I must admit I was very worried after reading the reviews on this website & from previous experience of a John Fellows site (not St Ives). Everything that was vital was great constant hot water from the tank, the shower was no problem, heated towel rail in the bathroom came in very useful so did the clothes hanger we found in the single room cupboard (especially as October to dry towels & swim things). Bathroom, sink, toilet spotless. The cabin itself was clean & tidy, a few little housekeeping issues which I spoke to management about whilst there but nothing major. Yes a little dated but I was informed they are dealing with these during the 11 weeks they have between staff holidays & re – opening again for guests. The kitchen was well equipped, clean & tidy. The living area had a descent TV & very comfortable sofa & bed sofa. I couldn't see any damp which you would usually expect as they are located well into the woods the surroundings were very pleasant and the holiday park is massive & location is a great as not far from St Ives which is breath taking. Beds: A little hard I was told by my son & husband, but I like my mattress hard so I found it fine & slept well the whole week, bedding fresh & clean. Staff: Very friendly, happy to help with anything needed Pool: Yes there are no lockers or changing cubicles but it is only a small pool, we got changed in our cabin into our swim things & walked back to get dressed. Enough room to change small children on seating areas though, showers in ladies hot but I was told by my husband & son the showers in the gents were cold. Clean but raining a lot & muddy shoes of people using the pool didn’t help. Club House: typical of holiday club houses, drink prices no more expensive than anywhere else, entertainment on every night even late season. Site in general: Kept lovely & clean needs some landscaping attention but no doubt will be on list for 11 weeks of no guests on site! We have booked again for next year before we left site on Saturday.

“Lovely Break!”

written by Jaynelangford on 11/05/2012

Well,,, after reading a few negative reviews I was thinking of not going but glad I did! Took Hubby and two Westies. Check in 10 outta 10 very friendly and happy to help with anything we needed, Chalet very clean and believe me I am a clean freak, shower and cubicle spotless, sink, toilet spotless, same goes for the rest of the chalet and by the way we had a budget one. Yes little outdated but that reflects in the price, if we wanted 5 star we would have paid 5 star prices. Club House,,, well typical club House really, drink prices no more expensive than anywhere else, entertainment for kids ten outta ten, evening entertainment for Adults adverage but fine! Didn`t use the pool but when I looked in there were plenty of kids splashing about looking like they were having fun. Site kept lovely and clean. Dogs loved the beaches too. So all in all a lovely break, the only one thing I would have a lil moan about was the mattress, little hard to say the least linen however was fresh and clean. Go and enjoy we did shame it rained pretty much all of the four days though :( But that wasn`t not John Fowlers fault!

“DO NOT waste your money on this place”

written by on 29/04/2012

The chalets at the John Fowler site are sub standard accommodation which date back to the sixties and have clearly not been changed since; apart from the sofa and tele. The chalet resembled a shed with windows and as the weather was awful we had to have the one heater on and so the windows were running with condensation. The doors have paint chipped off them, the bathroom is so small I have no idea how an adult male or large woman would even fit in there. The front door had a huge gap at the bottom, some of the windows would not shut and the quilts had stains on them.There was no shower and therefore nothing with which to rinse hair with. The staff dropped off a shower attachment to fit onto the taps!! Have not seen one of these since I was a kid. We were given £33 back as a refund. We spent this on taxi fares back and forth to St Ives. We were advised by the camp manager that there were no buses on that route until May although we were informed later by another source that there were actually buses... The swimming pool was too cold and I left this god awful place feeling depressed and vowed never to return to another camp site in my lifetime. I would not recommend this site to my worst enemy. Strangely there are no pictures of the interior of the chalets in the sales brochure. Deliberately misleading? I think so.