The Lemon Tree, Colchester Reviews

• Quality of food

The Lemon Tree, Colchester - Ask a question now

Showing star rating of:

(cancel refinement)

“We visited the Lemon Tree on my wifes birthday as a...”

Written on: 27/02/2011

We visited the Lemon Tree on my wifes birthday as a party of 7 & were seated at a 6 person table which made the experience for 4 of us very uncomfortable & squashed. The food is cheap pub grub served in very small portions -that in parts was very poor - but served very expensively as a fine dining experience. The drinks are also very expensively priced & the whole experience was extremely poor VFM. The whole group left feeling hungry & dissatified. We would suggest that they reduce their prices… Read Full Review

“Very disappointed. We were a party of 11 who had...”

Written on: 17/01/2011 by rscott101 (1 review written)

Very disappointed. We were a party of 11 who had prebooked from the January party menu..

Some food was not as listed - eg Mushroom risotto on the menu, but mushroom ravioli was served, the cheesecake was supposed to be blackcurrant, but arrived as vanilla.

The portions weren't exactly generous either - the chocolate dessert fitted on the spoon in one attempt!

Neither of the two wines ordered were as listed - same variety, but different producers.

Even the bill was wrong - they tried to… Read Full Review

“Main meals were just about acceptable although the...”

Written on: 29/05/2009

Main meals were just about acceptable although the quantity of accompanying vegetables was very mean.
The deserts were really awful - supposed to be treacle tart. More like a biscuit with a little cream on top. The apple sponge was a little more appetising. Both were supposed to be served with home made vanilla ice cream which was not in evidence.
Many years since I last visited The Lemon Tree and it might be many years before I try again.

“It seems to me that the thoughts on The Lemon Tree go...”

Written on: 16/09/2008

It seems to me that the thoughts on The Lemon Tree go from seemingly excellent to downright appalling! Having just been I have to say I was overall a little disappointed especially when we are in the middle of a credit crunch and a small bottle of fancy ale cost me over £3! The total bill was even more shocking but then who said it was cheap?

A fair few things happened that did not leave us feeling special and as a result we are unable to rate this establishment any higher than a 5 out of 10… Read Full Review