The Toby Carvery, Runwell Reviews

The Toby Carvery, Runwell - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for The Toby Carvery, Runwell

“oELWBhELdOQI”

written by on 22/05/2013

Thanks for the comment. I dagisree, to some extent, however. In my opinion, it is both a review and an advertisement. It is a review, as I have used Abel and Cole for close to one year now, have been happy with their service and have written a critique of my experiences to date. It could also reasonably be consider an advertisement, as I suppose there is an element of me encouraging people to use their services. But then again, each time we as consumers use a good or service and recommend it to a friend, family member or colleague, isn't that also advertising, which is defined in the dictionary as a person or thing regarded as a means of recommending something ?

“Toby Food Policy seems to be changing”

written by DaveWBrown on 03/05/2012

This is the second time we have visited this restaurant since the introduction of a payable option for "a larger meat portion". You can pay for "more meat" plus a (cheap) sausage plus an extra Yorkshire pudding (which you can take anyway). The first visit we noticed we were served with far less meat than usual on a standard meal. We waited until the SECOND visit to make sure it was not just a stingy chef - and it wasn't. This seems a very tacky way to save costs (and not very good marketing) and does nothing but drive customers away. We will be investigating other Toby carveries to see if this is (as we expect) a general policy - it seems it is as my brother has also complained about the Toby Carvery in Southend. We also noticed a decrease in the range of vegetables available - this may have been temporary - time will tell. So, we would still recommend the restaurant at the moment - but they may be "killing the golden goose" that made them popular.

Davewbrown's Response to DaveWBrown's Review

Written on: 25/06/2012

OK, we've since been back to this restaurant and have been pleasantly surprised at the "standard" meat portions - they are back to normal. Either we suffered from a very stingy server OR there have been other complaints and the problem resolved. Whatever it was, the restaurant is back in our good books again. Meat delicious and the vegetable selection was very large.

“Christmas Fayre”

written by on 03/01/2012

We booked this up in 2010 to take my parents for cheap evening out. However due to the poor weather (it was snowing) we had to cancel. We kept saying that we would book this again for 2011 and glad that we did. Service was friendly. Good choice of food on the menu and Carvery was lovely - it's the only restuarant where I find the Sunday lunches do actually taste like the ones you cook at home. My parents had never been there before and did comment on how nice it was We got a 4 course menu & free drink for about £14 quid - for mid December this is really good value for money. Can't wait to book again for 2012 and do the same again.

“Sunday lunch”

written by PaulR on 13/11/2011

First time visit to Thomas Kemble, very satisfied, busy but not kept waiting long. Great ale, great food, pleasant staff, nice atmosphere. Definitely going back there.

“Have been to this restaurant twice now and would never...”

written by on 26/10/2010

Have been to this restaurant twice now and would never go back again. The first time was during the week and the food was average for a carvery and the waiting time for a table only about 10 minutes. Made the mistake of going back on a Sunday - waited 40 minutes for a table in a very crowded bar. Once seated then joined the very long queue for the carvery. There was only one person carving the meat and the queue was very slow moving. The potatoes and parships were undercooked and tasteless and the other veg overcooked. They have the cheek to charge more on a Sunday too! This wasn't lunchtime it was 5.30 p.m. Goodness knows what it is like at lunchtime. This restaurant needs more people carving the meat and less people walking around asking you if everything is OK. My advice? Go somewhere else.

“Toby Carvery, Runwell Village, Wickford. Went there...”

written by on 17/08/2010

Toby Carvery, Runwell Village, Wickford. Went there last week. There was apparently a problem with the ovens so they ran out of meat that was cooked. So - instead of closing - they brought raw joints of gammon and beef to the servery and tried to slice them - blood running down the servery from the beef next to cooked curry and steamed (yes, steamed) chicken. They obviously knew full well that they had a problem and decided to carry on regardless. Also a fire door next to the servery was propped open with a chair to give a nice blast of air across the food - nice touch. Complained to the Manager - who didnt seem to know what to say or do about it. I suggested he close the Carvery which eventually he did. Pity, this used to be a nice place to eat. I have since complained to the Company and got nowhere - just temporising replies that promise to get in touch, so far zilch action. Environmental Health may be more pro-active.

“Very bad customer service - was told to wait outside...”

written by on 28/03/2010

Very bad customer service - was told to wait outside for a table by the maager in cold with an 8 month old baby and three year old! Avoid this resturant!!!!

“Easily the worst restaurant I have ever visited...”

written by on 16/02/2010

Easily the worst restaurant I have ever visited anywhere in the World. The place was dirty, the food range was limited (only Turkey was available - everything else had run out). The vegetables looked horrible (had been on display all day). I looked into the kitchen and saw a chicken carcass on the filthy floor.

I'm calling the local health inspector.

My party of 12 people left without paying for any of the food - the duty manager didn't seem surprised!

We went to a local McDonalds and had a better quality meal!

Do yourself a favour - stay away - and tell all your friends to do the same!

“The The Toby Carvery usually offers a choice of beef ,...”

written by Harrisin Essex on 26/06/2009

The The Toby Carvery usually offers a choice of beef , gammon or turkey with vegatarian choices limited to only 1 or 2.

“Our experience of the Toby carvery is that we found...”

written by on 04/03/2009

Our experience of the Toby carvery is that we found that the meat portions are quite small for us but we had a large portion of veg, everything else was good.
all the staff are very nice and helpful they never stop running around always very busy.
a great place for family and friends to get together. good service and value for the money.
lots of choices something for everyone.
house wine very good.

“We were recommended to go here by a friend, we nearly...”

written by on 23/06/2008

We were recommended to go here by a friend, we nearly changed our mind after reading some of the reviews, but we were pleased we went, just goes to show how fussey some people can be ! We loved it thanks

“It decor was really nice except the menus are a bit...”

written by on 27/03/2008

It decor was really nice except the menus are a bit expensive. The service was really good, they came to you when you was ready.

“We got in bar and stood like lemons not knowing what...”

written by on 27/03/2008

We got in bar and stood like lemons not knowing what to do a crowd was gathering after 5mins standing I asked a waitress how do you book a table? Then others followed my lead.
I heard an elderly couple whilst we were eating ask what do you have to do we haven't been here before? Staff could be more attentive perhaps.
Food definately needs to be hotter. But quality of food was good
I may go again to see if it is better.

“We love to pop in and we always get a table, even when...”

written by skipworth on 14/02/2008

We love to pop in and we always get a table, even when you are very busy at the weekends. The staff are very friendly and helpful. There is a very good selection of vegetables, starters and puddings are great. something for everyone. House wine good.

“20.01.08. I went around 8pm on sunday, where full...”

written by giggs74 on 03/02/2008

20.01.08. I went around 8pm on sunday, where full price is £8.00. i had the carvery all was good apart from the potatoes tasted old, maybe left overs from lunchtime, or even the day before.
My partner and mushroom wellington, which was dry, contained invisible mushrooms and too garlicy. It was too late in the day for me to complain as i had a 2 hour drive ahead of me.
i would not have paid full price for the meals.
My view is, it shouldn't matter what time of the day you go the quality should not differ.

“Could do with inspecting/cleaning under tables before...”

written by on 03/12/2007

Could do with inspecting/cleaning under tables before next clients are seated