B&Q

B&Q
1.7
  • Quality of service

• Layout of shop

Summary

Review Centre provide unbiased consumer reviews of B&Q and other home & garden and DIY shops. Give your experiences of B&Q and read what other visitors thought. We also have reviews of many B&Q products in the www.diy.com B&Q's online store.
B&Q - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for B&Q

“Unimpressive”

written by 151Thorpe on 30/08/2023

They are overpriced compared to Wickes and the make is often cheaper as well. They create to much fuss with refunds especially with building materials.I d not recommend purchase of any bulky materials from them becuase if you have to return it, it is a nightmare.

“Stay away from the Greenwich branch ”

written by Chimarima on 18/10/2022

The Greenwich branch is a disgrace in terms of customers service. Called for a bathroom design and was asked to come u without appointment. On getting there, I spent 2hours before one of the bathroom design specialist came forward to attend to me. But wait a minute that was my thought. Actually she came forward to let me know that they are all busy and can’t attend to me anymore. One of the staff asked I send her an email with my inspiration and I gave her all my measurements. Sent her an email and since then have sent a follow up email and have called the shop severally and they kept saying the a specialist will call me in a few hours. It’s been 2 days yet nothing. You would think they don’t care about the sale. I honestly regret opting for b and q. Next time I will do all to avoid them.

“Useless kitchens”

written by HalleCoughlin292 on 15/10/2022

I have been updating my kitchen using their products. Nightmares from start to finish, going on 7 months now and have to wait another 4 months for items. Useless delivery slots, items came damaged, never picked up damaged items or delivered replacements. Try getting a refund from them you may as well try to pull your teeth out it would be less hassle and painful. Terrible staff in their newtonabbey branch, argumentative, unhelpful and down right rede with a couldn't care less attitude. NEVER BUY A THING FROM THIS PLACE AGAIN

“Dismissive attitude - not allowed to return a cooling...”

written by LyleLondon on 20/07/2022

Yesterday I bought a Beldray Climate Cube that is meant to heat and chill using water. I hardly unwrapped the device and tried it out to see if it really did chill last night. It’s advertised to chill with tap water however I poured in ice cold water from the fridge. The result was that it did not chill my 3mx3m small room and instead acted as a humidifier, creating humidity which was worse. I boxed it up after an hour and today tried to return it. The team leader of the tellers attended to me and said I can’t return it as I had put water in it. I tried to explain that only with water in it , can one test whether it chills correctly . She argued against that and then told me I should have put ice in it!!! There is a hole the size of a penny in which to pour water so I asked her how on earth would I get ice cubes in there? She continued to argue that I can’t return it. The item is misleading in my opinion. Maybe if you put 0,5 degree C water in it and put your face right in front of it, it may chill your face. It definitely will not cool down your personal space as advertised. I’ve just wasted £35 on an item that does not work and because I tried it out I can’t return it. At this stage I asked for her name and she wouldn’t give it to me and walked away. Another staff member told me her name. The staff at this store are generally very unhelpful and ignore customers. They are mostly huddled together chatting to each other. I have lots of photos of this.

“Rude till staff”

written by J42dymond on 26/06/2022

Visited today and asked the lady on the till for a bag, no response, asked again(louder this time) no response so said again a very slight nod of the head, so Rude.

“catalogue of incompetence”

written by on 15/05/2022

Kitchen installation: There are two kitchen cabininet doors that are completely different with the same name on display at the Cabridge B&Q. Garciana. So I ordered the exensive ones and the installer was installing the cheaper ones that I do not like. A real hassle to get them returned becuase they were no longer packaged. They came 2 weeks later. The installers installed the cabinets upside down. When installing the draws, they could not be lined up. Now I have further delays because the installers are booked on another job. The kitchen has been barely usable for the past month as everything was cleared ut for the installation. My solution that B&Q should consider is to get a person with clear project management skills to be the person to liaise with the client. If things go wrong - more have gone wrong on this job, too many to list, but they are responsible for getting the job done to a proper professional standard. I am still in limbo with B&Q still without a kitchen. Some of the putting together of the cabinets is poor with damage to the melamine covering. The worktops still must be installed. I am dreading seeing what happens here.

“A Farce - Useless”

written by Hogan162 on 11/03/2022

Order some guttering a various fittings, when I went to collect them I was told the system had crashed and they couldnt pick the order. So I had to collect them items myself. Three days later I received a text telling me my order was ready for collection! I returned to the store sort things out and obtain a refund, unfortunately this took quite a while . The whole process at the Chelmsford was a total waste of my time. The salesman who sorted out the refund was very good.

“Fabulous friendly staff”

written by SandraDudley on 28/02/2022

I went to my local store to buy garden compost and was helped by a salesman in the garden section, he swapped the trolley I had for a better one and put the compost on for me and suggested I pull it rather than push, as these trolleys seem to have a mind of their own lovely friendly man, then at the till the lady got help for me to get the 100 ltr bag off the trolley and into my car, which was carried out by another gentleman who was also really helpful and friendly they made my visit a pleasure

“Excellent service”

written by MrsMiggins41 on 19/01/2022

Staff member P was incredibly helpful, offering his help when I was looking at flooring and then getting packs of flooring down for me, loading them onto a pallet and then loading them into the car. Flooring seemed easy to fit and looks beautiful

“Worst Paint Ever”

written by Busdriver604 on 09/12/2021

Bought the most expensive mixed Valspar trade gloss to paint our metal wardrobe doors. I should have known that things were not be up to scratch when the first coat was very poor coverage. After a further 2 coats the resulkt looked pretty good and I left the doors for over 2 weeks to dry. After over 2 weeks the paint rubs off so easily, it is totally unacceptable. DO NOT purchase this paint if you wish to be totally disappointed. I now have to strip the doors and use some other paint which will NOT be Valspar.

“Nottingham Store”

written by 5150 on 08/09/2021

I would just like to thank the staff in the flooring department at the Nottingham store they were so helpful. I was unsure the amount I would need to buy they worked out what I would need flooring underlay trim for around the rooms. The Delivery was quick. Big thanks to the team.

“Bad service ”

written by hxThorpe235 on 25/08/2021

Staff members in North Greenwich are not helpful. It happed 3 times in this shop. First time staff gave me wrong advice, second time staff member didn’t know anything what I asked. Yesterday I came for timber cutting, they said me come next day from 9am. I came, asked who can do cutting. They said I need to wait near cutting area. Nobody came. Then I asked another staff and she said that man’s shift start at 6pm. It was last time I visit this shop.

“Hi B&Q”

written by JiriKristala on 20/08/2021

Hi B&Q, So, it's already been another 3 days, and still no updates regarding the kitchen delivery due 11th of August...Today just now have called customer service again and our new case manager (the original even didn't get to contact us during first week of "investigation") who already aparently logged into our investigation log that its been "CLEAN DELIVERY" and no problems with it. I mean, is this a joke? Week of calls and emails because of failure after waiting for a month for our kitchen and then it seems like all comunaction is going in to the black hole as nothing is coming out/back!!! Customer service was very sad that they cannot help us, but try to escalate it again. They even try to tell us in email that its maybe the case that we didn't answer the doorbell and missed it. Let me tell you that I took a day of holiday for this and was sitting by the window since morning expecting it. And even IF SO then how come someone is saying it has been delivered and second guessing we didn't hear the bell? Does anyone really care about the business or some kind of reputation? Doesn't seems like. All I can say that this kitchen renovation turns thanks to B&Q into nightmare - Imagine you plan renovation and they make you believe that 100% it will be delivered the day they say so you plan and remove your kitchen to fit the new one. Then next week you trying to get some answeres and everyone is just guessing not being able to get to the root of the problem and help us, organise special delivery ASAP and apologise. I am probably crazy expecting this? We wouldn't ordered the kitchen from B&Q from the start if we had known the customer service is like this...such a frustrating waste of time, troubles and all the bad mood around it. All I can do now is to make as many people aware of this so they can avoid it all.

“You CAN'T do it if you B&Q it”

written by on 30/07/2021

Ordered a kitchen with a six week delivery. Less than 24 hours before the delivery date they cancelled moving it two days on. Then told me it was coming and then it didn't come. The order for units was wrong, replacement items were going to take four weeks to deliver. Finished up going to a store more than hour away to get what I needed. The under cupboard lights were incomplete with one driver instead of two supplied. When I complain I got a "tough" flavoured email back and even though I told them I was a disabled wheelchair user and very dependant on others and also not having a kitchen was a big problem, they didn't care. Their customer service is abysmal and I am sad to say that if you are considering buying a kitchen B&Q will efficiently sell you one but then it will rapidly go down hill.

“Refreshingly good”

written by rollockstothis on 07/06/2021

Used the click and collect. All staff helpful, polite and plenty of them. I normally used the B&Q at Trafford park. They on the other hand are an utter disaster. Miserable and mainly unhelpful staff who appear to be hiding most of the time. I'll be using Stockport only now. Well done

“if you can do it dont b n q it”

written by 481McKee on 21/03/2021

If you buy a all in fitted kitchen learn from me Do not rip your kitchen out dont bother asking b n q weeks in advance if every thing on your order that has been agreed to come is coming as I did. do not plan ahead . WAIT for it to come and check everything heres what they do it is b and q policy to sell everything on the shelf (as I was told by them )regardless of said items are owned you (yes there was a few) the one that got me mad was I spent around £1000 and paid in full for a 90 cm range oven and hood I found out when my kitchen was delivered that they had sold the oven I brought to someone else ( I was told about policy after this ) THEY have got a sense of humour though because they sent me a table top 4 hob instead , I now have to cancel my engineers i also have to wait over 40 days with no oven which b n q think is fine. they will take your money they will tell you your order is in order. they will sell your stuff you will have to argue very hard to get them to source a cooker anywhere in country they will expect you to wait knowing you have no kitchen WHAT I HAVE TAKEN FROM MY EXPERIENCE IS ONCE THEY HAVE YOUR MONEY YOU DONT MATTER

“Never buy from this store”

written by omClarke321 on 19/11/2020

I would leave no stars if I could. Purchased an expensive kitchen in august 2020 for delivery 18th November. Kitchen never turned up, promised call backs from rude staff that never materialised, covid as an excuse etc etc. After finding out the truth after 2 days of numerous calls I was told by customer service that the kitchen hadn’t been delivered due to a system error at their end. I was never informed of this at all. I found out when the kitchen didn’t get delivered on the day. We have no sink, running water, fridge, oven, hob, freezer and are expected to stay like this until feb 2021. I was then told “we’ll you shouldn’t have taken your kitchen out”. I had a text on the 11th November saying my kitchen would be delivered on the 18th. The sales manger expected me to have my original kitchen and a full new kitchen together in the house. It is 5 weeks before Christmas. I won’t be able to cook a Christmas dinner, never mind beans on toast. The response from B & Q is you can have a refund. When compensation is mentioned to customer service the response was a B & Q gift card. I have to buy take aways for meals as no where to store food or prepare or make sandwiches due to having no work tops etc. B & Q have had my money since august and expect to keep it until feb which is over 6 months. Never ever ever buy anything from this store. You will regret it

“Excessive parking charges”

written by Sigh123 on 09/10/2020

So, I thought I should do some shopping at B&Q in Garthdee, Aberdeen. It is on a site with several megastores so naturally I planned to do some shopping in the other stores as well. Parked the car at B&Q as I planned to buy some heavy items there but started the shopping at a Booths nearby. Came back after 30-45 minutes to find a parking charge. As I had ‘left the site’ B&Q thought it was good customer service to charge me £70. I politely disagree. I do not see the point of moving my car to a different store if all the stores a next to each other. Whilst they can have their £70 today I will avoid the B&Q chain like the plaque in the future.

“just a thankyou ”

written by Rawding31 on 03/09/2020

We just wanted to say B&Q Yeading have been great throughout the "covid-19 experience" thanks to my trade card are work has been unaffected in these uncertain times. I would also like to point out one of your employee's was very helpful, polite, down to earth, always smiling and helped me out a good few times. Keep it up guys and thankyou

“Wrong info given”

written by HRAC on 24/08/2020

Have been to Crawley B@Q 7 times over the past 2 weeks to get some wood cut. Every time there was no member of staff available to cut wood. Phoned this morning at 8.30am to confirm that someone would be in and available to cut the wood. Was told yes, come before lunchtime and they would be happy to help. So off I trot, only to find when I got there a notice saying wood would not be able to be cut and sorry for any inconvenience! Spoke to the manager and he informed me that the cutting blades were on order. The cutting machine had been out of order for the 2 weeks while he had been on holiday!!! Why did the rude member of customer services not tell me that last week when I went in? She was more interested in paper work. They have really let themselves down and would think twice about going back.

Asked by PhilipSStubbs on 2nd May 2017 Report this content
I bought some turves from b&q last year which has not grown but have left a residue of what appears to be plastic netting is this bio degradable and did this lead to my wasting money on turves that died even though thoroughly watered as suggested by lawn experts.

Answers (1)
Report this content dah0444 Written on: 05/05/2017
I can only say that in the past I have lifted turf and found the netting still intact so it would appear not bio degradable.Remove this before relaying new turf.As regards the dying quickly I can only suggest buying from a turf supplier which is how I have done it in the past without any problems.They are usually cheaper than B&Q. Do not buy turf which shows brown edges anywhere.Do lay a cover of turf fertilizer before laying the turf.
Asked by Hanginginthere on 13th August 2014 Report this content
Are B&Q's composite decking boards worth paying for? The boards are hollow and I heard that in the US where decking is big, they have switched from hollow to solid boards long ago. Reasons being water & bugs logged in the boards when the end caps come off, the boards cannot be installed like solid wood, expansion & contraction problems etc. Since I am going to spend a lot more for timber decking, I want something that will last and look good without the pain besides painting. I had a look at a number of websites that pop up in Google search, only 2 of them are quite similar and of the high quality that I think are worth going for. One of the websites I looked at, fiberdondecking has some useful info, specs & UK commercial projects using their boards. They only sell solid boards as well (no hollow stuff). Has anybody bought and used this? Any comment or recommendations please.

Asked by Dianeandandy on 5th January 2014 Report this content
Have you had any feedback on b&q white gloss paint? We have just painted the skirtings and doors etc in dining room with b&qs own brand and the next day we noticed it has gone a cream colour! We painted some wood on the staircase nearby with dulux white gloss and this is brilliant white and shows up the cheaper b& q paint! It has resulted in us having to reprint the dining area with delux which is very frustrating and time consuming, just wondered if it is a problem with the paint!

Answers (1)
Report this content dah0444 Written on: 05/05/2017
I think you answered your own question. I always buy branded paint. It is cheaper in the long run.