Philips 32PW9616 Reviews

Philips 32PW9616 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Philips 32PW9616

Philips 32PW9616
Philips 32PW9616

“I've never had a problem with a tv before, so expected...”

Written on: 13/07/2004 by Duncan (1 review written)

I've never had a problem with a tv before, so expected this Philips 32PW9616 top of the range Widescreen TV to last 10 years plus. Having spent £1,200 about 3 years ago I now get a blue screen with horizontal lines and have been quoted £700 for a new tube! It's a shame I bought matching video, DVD etc. Anyone think it's worth going back to Philips?… Read Full Review

“Had my Philips 32PW9616 Widescreen TV 2 years now....”

Written on: 22/02/2004 by benhester (2 reviews written)

Had my Philips 32PW9616 Widescreen TV 2 years now. Think its great. I normally upgrade every year, but am struggling to find one worth the money without going to a plasma.

Disagree with blackbeards review. Nothing wrong with the picture!. You need to set it up right. Just turn down the sky boxes brightness in the picture setup menu! Switch off the tv's acitve control so that it doesn't increase the brightness in light rooms. Reduce tv contrast and brightness. Then switch between Personal and… Read Full Review

“I had to get a service agent in to make focus...”

Written on: 17/12/2003 by max1505 (1 review written)

I had to get a service agent in to make focus adjustments to the picture of the Philips 32PW9616 Widescreen tv immediately after installation. Just over a year after purchase, the set wouldn't react to the remote control when on stand-by, but only during operation. Then the rear speakers began to play ghost music in the middle of the night when the set was off. Recently - the set is now 2 years old - the picture height has reduced to about 80%. It starts at the top of the screen, but a thick… Read Full Review

“We bought a Philips 32PW9616C last September with our...”

Written on: 26/12/2002 by Maylynda. (1 review written)

We bought a Philips 32PW9616C last September with our wedding money and it has been in the workshop 3 times so far and is due to go back for the fourth time. Very soon after we bought it, it started cutting out to a black screen with the red standby light flashing. The repairer kept saying it's the relays but these were replaced and it done the same thing again, this time they replaced the cathode ray tube but it's came back with a different fault. We paid £1236 from QED uk.com and we are just… Read Full Review

“I bought a 32PW9616 in May 2001. Sometimes I thought...”

Written on: 09/12/2002 by yogee. (1 review written)

I bought a 32PW9616 in May 2001. Sometimes I thought the picture was very good, at other times I didn't. A few things bothered me, one was a horizontal ghosting around all images, even from an RGB source and another was the image judder with fast moving things like horizontal text. In December 2001 the TV developed an annoying "ping" sound from the tube. I put up with it for a while but as it only got worse I sent it for repair under warranty. The repair has been a shambles. Although the… Read Full Review

60525_Maylynda.'s Response to 56739_yogee.'s Review

Written on: 26/12/2002

I agree totally with your review (see my review), what makes it more unbearable is the terrible service and attitude from the repair workshop. We asked for a report, the third time the set had been back to the workshop, and the receptionist said 'and who's going to pay for this paper', for goodness sake they are providing a service, a terrible one at that, and they can't spare a bit of paper. We are going to start kicking up a fuss now, we've been too soft about the whole thing and we are starting to get really angry, it sounds as if you've been there and had no success so i don't really hold out much hope.

Danny002's Response to 56739_yogee.'s Review

Written on: 08/06/2004

Television was baught in July last year. December the set developed a blue haze down the left hand side of the screen. Curry's replaced the tube and returned my tele along with complimentary scratching some 4 weeks later. March 2004 the television developed the same fault. I contacted Philips who offered to assist me in some way should the tele break down again, but failed to inform me that the system has now been removed from the shelves and parts are no longer available. Curry's has now returned a cheque for the full amount so look out Toshiba

Michael Khor.'s Response to 56739_yogee.'s Review

Written on: 28/05/2003

Recently bought a Philips 29PT9420 PixelPlus. The first unit delivered box unopened to my home was very bad in colour alignment and convergence on the left side of the screen, eg. you can see the red and blue where it is supposed to be white. Subtitle or horizontal line clearly show good colour alignment on the right and the colour begin to separate as it moves to the left. Convergence on the bottom part curve downward on both sides. Top horizontal line was straight. These problems can only be corrected by opening the cover to adjusts the three picture guns.
<br>.
<br>
<br>I am happy that Philips Malaysia offered to take back the first unit instead of repairing it, but now I made sure I check out the next unit at the shop before delivery. The shop I bought from has only one more unit left since the first unit was delivered three weeks earlier, the shop claimed to have sold about 10 units in that period. This was opened and tested. Colour alignments on this unit was SUPERB, almost perfect! Convergence also was better than the first unit, but not the best I have seen. This second unit was also curving downwards at the two bottom sides, but only slightly perceptible to fussy me.
<br>
<br>Picture geometry for both units was good ex-factory. This I further tweak via the hidden "service alignment mode" menu.
<br>
<br>In conclusion, I agree with the reviewer yogee that it is "luck" with mass-assembled items. Probably the units that were send for pro-reviews are checked and tweaked first and are not the usual qualities one can get direct from the shop.

62204_Yogee.'s Response to 56739_yogee.'s Review

Written on: 02/01/2003

Things have moved on a bit since my review of 9th Dec but I'm not out of the woods yet. However, I now know a lot more than I did before.
<br>I got so angry with Philips and the repairers (a firm known as Endeva and/or TMS, by the way) that I contacted the legal helpline that is thrown in with my house insurance. I also found out the names and contact details of the most senior customer services managers at each company. The result of this was two carefully worded letters to Philips and Endeva, not threatening legal action, but making it abundantly clear that I knew my legal rights and stating what action I required. The biggest problem that I have encountered is that Endeva blame Philips because they are the manufacturer and Philips blame Endeva because they carried out the repair, but I get nowhere. This stalemate has continued for so long now (I still haven't got my TV back since May) I knew that a different tack was required.
<br>I left a telephone message for a senior Philips account manager at Endeva Head Office (not the site where my TV was being held). He contacted me back and I explained what had happened over the last seven months. This resulted in him having a meeting with senior bods at Philips the next day, and this resulted in an offer from Philips to settle the matter. I had asked for either 1) the picture geometry to be fixed (as this is what annoyed me most), 2) the set to be replaced, or 3) the set to be returned so that I could get it fixed by someone competent. The offer I got from Philips was none of these. Surprisingly enough they offered to reimburse my original purchase price for the set in exchange for me not bothering them again! Whether you think this is a good result or not depends on your attitude. I didn't think it was because it took months to deliver this set in the first place and that would mean I could be without a TV for ages. As it happens one of my other legal redress routes seems to be paying off with a much better result. However I haven't quite got there yet so I can't write any more details in public until it's sorted.
<br>Something else that might interest you TV hunters out there is that I have been able to arrange an unusual opportunity. I hadn't said this before but I'm an experienced electronics design engineer. After having read the review on this site by Guitarz on the Sony 32FQ80 I thought aha! maybe the Sony is a better bet. I managed to get a professional TV test generator on my Company's test equipment budget and I also managed to sweet talk two shops into letting me test specific TV's on their sales floors. Very interesting, but disappointing too. I based my selection of TV sets on the reviews on this site (particularly the negative ones) also those on dooyoo and those in the magazine reviews. I rejected the Panasonic 32PB50 because the sound is rubbish - it's like listening through a cardboard box. I looked at the Toshiba 32ZD26P, the Philips 32PW9617 and the Sony 32FQ80 using the TV tester, but I also looked at loads of others in various shops just with whatever video they happened to have. The interesting result was that the picture geometry (i.e.how straight horizontal and vertical lines are) and the convergence (i.e. how well the red, greem and blue dots line up to make a white dot) was by far the best on the Sony, although not perfect. The Toshiba was dreadful, in fact it was so bad that I looked at another one in the shop with the same result(does this mean that we cannot trust the reviews in the media and the sets that the reveivers test are tweaked by the manufacturers in advance?) The Philips was average. The geometry was a only a little bit worse than my own set but the convergence was reasonably good. More importantly, the focus at the edges of the screen was much better than the Sony. So what have I decided on, you ask? Surprisingly, it's not the Sony. Having read all those reveiws on this site concerning the focus issue on the left and right sides of the screens on the earlier models I specifically looked for it using the TV tester. Surprise, surprise, reasonably good convergence even to the edges of the screen but terrible focus, the worst of of all the TV's I tested. It looks to me as though Sony probably have better manufacturing quality control than the others, but that the focus issue is probably 'designed in' and there's nothing you can do about it. If you don't have a set top box that produces text near the screen edges, then you will probably not notice this focus problem. Did you note how many people were unhappy with Sony focus on this site?
<br>Well, I seem to have written rather a lot here today; it shows how strongly I feel about the whole thing.
<br>If you're looking to make a decision on a new TV purchase, I'm afraid that the bad news is that there does not seem to be the perfect set out there, except for the ones sent to the magazine reviewers. I hope that it won't be too long before I can enlighten you further on my progress and my choice of a replacement.

Read 4 Comments

“I have now had this Philips 32pw9616 widescreen TV for...”

Written on: 02/07/2002 by Jim. (1 review written)

I have now had this Philips 32pw9616 widescreen TV for about 2 months and I can honestly say it is life enhancing. The picture is terrific and the dolby digital sound is better than you ever thought possible for inbuilt speakers- fantastic separation and clarity of sound. I have found that the best settings are active control to medium and sharpness to low. I leave the natural motion turned off. It is really a gimmick and makes everything look like it was shot on videotape. The real reasons to… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“I bought my Philips 32pw9616 widescreen TV in January...”

Written on: 20/06/2002 by aha. (1 review written)

I bought my Philips 32pw9616 widescreen TV in January this year and the problems started the first day. Now it has been at the workshop for 2 months and I do not get any answer… Read Full Review

“I thought the Philips Widescreen 32pw9616 was a good...”

Written on: 02/05/2002 by blackbeard. (1 review written)

I thought the Philips Widescreen 32pw9616 was a good tv but know i'm beginning to wonder… Read Full Review

“I bought this Philips 32pw9616 Widescreen Television...”

Written on: 23/04/2002 by Phoenix. (1 review written)

I bought this Philips 32pw9616 Widescreen Television half a year ago and I'm really impressed with it.
A few bad points there are: When in Split Screen Mode you can see that the Picture blurrs a little on the outer edges but that seems to be a splitting problem because you don't see any blurrs in Single Screen Mode or Teletext. Why I put Natural Motion in both (bad and good) points is obvious: I admire that picture. That's awesome, what philips gets out of a DVD when seen in that mode, but on… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“My occupation is to repair televisions of Philips. The...”

Written on: 26/02/2002 by Erik. (1 review written)

My occupation is to repair televisions of Philips. The widescreen 32PW9616, which I myself own, is a very good one. It's true that horizontal lines are difficult to change. Vertical lines are easy to change in the service menu. Only a technician is allowed to go in there because you can make many problems in there. His cheaper brother the 9525 is also a good one but the 9616 is better. We also repair JVC, panasonic, sony and so on. JVC also use the flat picture tubes of philips… Read Full Review

18286_Lars.'s Response to 14116_Erik.'s Review

Written on: 07/04/2002

This review surely must be flawed in that 0 points have been given to the PW9616. The comments otherwise offered by the reviewer seems to indicate a rather high score.

Tor.'s Response to 14116_Erik.'s Review

Written on: 18/01/2003

Thanks for telling that the verical lines can be fixed. I would like to have a perfect picture on my tv.
I own a Philips 9617 tv. My problem is that i have two rather wide vertical lines that appear on the screen when the picture is dark. Can i fix it myself or should i return the tv-set?

64881_Yogee.'s Response to 14116_Erik.'s Review

Written on: 13/01/2003

I am an electronics design engineer. I have had a load of trouble with my 32PW9616 (see my reveiws) and incompetent repair agents. I note that Erik from Netherlands knows something about the service menu for this TV chassis. I would like to know more about the service menu and how to access it. Please could Erik email me at [email protected] Thanks.

Read 3 Comments

“I've owned this widescreen 32pw9616 TV from Philips...”

Written on: 18/01/2002 by Nick. (1 review written)

I've owned this widescreen 32pw9616 TV from Philips for 3 weeks. The picture geometry of this TV isn't particularly good - the top right of the screen bends in fairly significantly and straight lines running across the screen horizontally are bowed. An engineer has said it's within tolerance and has made some adjustments, but it's still not great. Turning down the contrast helps a little.
I've since been told that it's a little bit of pot luck whether you end up with a 'good' or 'bad' set in… Read Full Review

“We are delighted with this purchase.”

Written on: 02/12/2001 by John Martindale. (1 review written)

We are delighted with this purchase… Read Full Review

“THIS PHILIPS WIDESCREEN TV HAS ZOOM FEATURE, DUAL...”

Written on: 02/06/2001 by kathlucas. (1 review written)

THIS PHILIPS WIDESCREEN TV HAS ZOOM FEATURE, DUAL SCREEN TEXT, WIDE CHOICE OF PICTURE SHAPES ACCESSED VIA THE REMOTE. THE SOUND THAT IS BUILT INTO THIS TV SET HAS TO BE HEARD TO BE BELIEVED AND WHEN CONNECTED TO A DVD PLAYER GIVES FULL CINEMA SOUND, A JOY TO THE EARS! ON THE WHOLE THIS TV SET IN MY OPINION IS ONE OF THE BEST DOLBY DIGITAL TELEVISION SETS EVER PRODUCED… Read Full Review

8451_Mike.'s Response to 2357_kathlucas.'s Review

Written on: 03/01/2002

I've seen/tested this in a big electronics mall.
<br>It won the EISA award 2000 for best TV.
<br>The picture is excellent and "Digital Natural Motion" is incredibly detailed and fulfilling. Very impressive.
<br>Menues are easy to use and it's a beautiful tv set from Philips "Matchline" series. And the fact that it has a complete Dolby Digital 5.1 set included is too good to be true with FM (wireless) rear speakers.
<br>I haven't bought it just yet, still saving up, but I will soon that is absolutely certain.

Davesinclair's Response to 2357_kathlucas.'s Review

Written on: 07/07/2004

I have had a 9616 for quite a while, with no picture problem - in fact no problems at all. I would (and have) recommended this set to friends.

Yojee.'s Response to 2357_kathlucas.'s Review

Written on: 09/12/2002

I bought a 32PW9616 in May 2001. Sometimes I thought the picture was very good, at other times I didn't. A few things bothered me; one was a horizontal ghosting around all images, even from an RGB source and another was the image judder with fast moving things like horizontal text. In December 2001 the TV developed an annoying "ping" sound from the tube. I put up with it for a while but as it didn't get any better I sent it for repair under warranty. The repair has been a shambles. Although the tube has been replaced, the picture geometry and convergence are now all over the place and I can't stand watching it. Both the repairers and Philips refuse to do anything about it, claiming that the picture "is within normal expectations for this type of set". It took six months to 'repair' the set. I have since discovered that all the Philips sets with 100Hz digital picture processing give this horizontal ghosting and it is related to the sharpness control. Unfortunately you can't turn it off and as it operates in the digital video processor, it can't be altered. My advice is look very closely at the picture of the set you are actually going to buy, particularly at horizontal and vertical straight lines, colour convergence in the corners and at the ghosting effect. If it doesn't bother you in the shop then you'll probably learn to live with it. If the set goes wrong though, I don't give much for your chances of a successful repair. Maybe you should look more closely at other manufacturers!

9913_Nick.'s Response to 2357_kathlucas.'s Review

Written on: 18/01/2002

I bought this set a couple of weeks ago. The picture geometry isn't particularly good (straight lines bow inwards at various places) and after two weeks the set completely stopped working.
<br>
<br>The sound is very good, but overall I'm not hugely impressed.

Read 4 Comments