Ducati Multistrada 1000 DS Reviews

Ducati Multistrada 1000 DS
Ducati Multistrada 1000 DS

“Fantastic Bike!”

written by Karlos71uk on 08/07/2021

At 52 years old I decided to fulfil a lifetime ambition and go for a Ducati! The problem is I don't have a sportsbike body these days and my back/shoulders/knees can't handle the GSXR's of the world anymore so I need something a little more 'forgiving'! I've always loved the look of the Italian beasties but know full well that they would probably cripple me to ride so I looked into a Multistrada. Having read the glowing reviews I tracked one down within budget and went to collect it. Having owned many 2 and 4 stroke race reps (6 x GSXR's 2 x ZZR's NSR250, TZR250, Rg400, RGV250) getting on the multistrada was a new experience. Being that high up on a bike is a new experience for me, the riding position is extremely comfortable and fortunately mine had the comfort seats fitted so was that bit more tolerable on long journey's. The engine is an absolute stonker and pulls right from the bottom of the rev range all the way to the limiter which you will hit with alarming regularity as this thing is extremely quick, seriously quick, I love it! It handles like a sports bike and the 17" wheels mean sticky rubber can be applied to suit. the forks and shock make this thing handle as well as anything I've owned and track days would most certainly not be out of the question! Build quality is excellent (for an Italian bike) and the brakes will stop you on a sixpence. All in all I can't recommend this bike enough, the only gripe is the seriously dodgy fuel gauge which can't make its mind up how much is in there once it drops below half, apparently though there are 2 gallons left when the light comes on, this is more than enough to get you to the next station. This is a great bike, goes like a train, handles like a sports bike, as comfortable to ride as a tourer and sooooooo much fun!

“Overall impression is a good bike with good build...”

written by on 14/10/2008

Overall impression is a good bike with good build quality and I like the querky looks. Brilliant riding position and great bike for touring with hard luggage, powerful engine and superb handling. Only main gripe was the centre stand which is a potential killer don't know why Ducati offer it as an optional extra as it just doesn't work.

“I'm baffled by the cause of vibration on my Ducati...”

written by hereforme on 11/01/2007

I'm baffled by the cause of vibration on my Ducati Multistrada 1000 DS!

“I was looking for a more standard type bike that would...”

written by jakal3932 on 08/06/2005

I was looking for a more standard type bike that would keep up with my SV buddies in the twisties. I tried the VStrom, SV, FZ, and a BMW. My local dealer (BMW Ducati of Charlotte) told me to try the Ducati Multistrada 1000 DS. I don't care what it costs it is the best bike I have ever owned!

The motor is strong. Plenty of torque to get that front tire in the air if you like and enough horsepower to keep up with sport bikes.

The riding position is spot on and with the addition of a Sargeant seat it can be ridden for many miles. I just rode mine from Charlotte to Daytona for bike week and only stopped for gas.
No monkey butt.

Ducati offers hard bags and I recommed them. They are odd shaped but you can put enough stuff in there for a week in Daytona. Plus they look good. Typical Ducati.

The suspension is top notch with more adjustability than I will ever need. It allows for tuning for a long ride then a few clicks to get the center stand from dragging in the turns.

Speaking of which, the bike does not come with a center stand. I highly recommend it.

The gas mileage is great. Usually goes about 200 miles before I start to worry about gas. The low fuel light is a bit goofy and comes on sometimes at 120 miles or so. Don't use it, forget you have it, and reset your milage after a fill up.

I highly recommend this bike.

In short I love it and you will too.

“Having read many good reports and one very awful one...”

written by DavidL on 18/06/2004

Having read many good reports and one very awful one about the Ducati Multistrada 1000 DS Sports Bike, nearly cancelled the order but very glad that I didn't.

Great bike to ride and gain experience on. Fun and great to flick about between bends.

Only been riding 12 months and have to say that the bike is superb so far with only 1,500 miles to date.

Hereforme's Response to 159228_DavidL's Review

Written on: 11/01/2007

Has anyone experienced strong vibration in front end at 80-90 kph?

Read 1 Comment