West Wirral Riding School Reviews

West Wirral Riding School
4.0

West Wirral Riding School - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for West Wirral Riding School

“Unprofessional and rude owner”

written by Manninglk498 on 21/07/2023

Our daughter has been riding her for 5 years apart from lockdown. We have never had cause to complain but did due to our daughter being forgotten and put on a horse that was obviously unwell, told it was hay fever then today told it is asthma? Horse clearly unwell and no consideration for either horse or rider, told horse seen a month ago by a vet! A month ! Told me I don’t know about horses, perhaps but it’s clear when an animal isn’t fit to work! Our daughter was upset and began to cry during the lesson due to horse coughing continuously and putting its head down to scratch its face.. we simply Wanted to discuss it and acknowledge our concern and upset. The owner does not care about customers and needs to not get so defensive when we dare complain. Was aggressive , rude and didn’t acknowledge the real victim in this was a 9 year old child. Spoke to me like a piece of dirt and Lied saying she had spoken to an instructor who has since left about the incident…since found out she hasn’t. Needs to attend a basic communications course… I work in the public sector and have never even spoken to a detainee the way this lady spoke to me…..very poor, would leave zero stars for customer relations but won’t let me x

“After a few years.....”

written by Howeyb1950 on 06/08/2015

So I have been riding for many years at Fender and to start off with it was amazing, I was taught to ride exactly how I would want to be, with friendly staff who helped me learn everything. Now I am advancing in my riding im starting to see that the riding school needs a bit of revamping. Some of the horses plod and they need to get some new ones Some of the area is rundown The instructors aren't in uniform some of the helpers are bitchy and moody I did like how when I was younger it was so helpful and the experienced instructors taught me how to ride but now I think they need some new facilities, specially picked helpers and a few more advanced horses. Overall, I would recommend the riding school to beginners up until you start to advance and then maybe change to a more advanced riding school. The livery yard is nice and the indoors are a decent size but they could do with a pony camp for some riders The riding school is cheap and does have a good value for money

“Love it”

written by on 20/12/2014

I love it everyone's so nice and I madd friends easily I have private and group lessons an its fab! When I went to larton everyone was really snotty and it put me off riding. I eventually decided to get back in the saddle and whent to west wirral and I have fallen in love with riding and horses. I have moved up groups well and the staff are always there to help. I have had chance to ride all horses and with most instructors and I learn so much. I definitely advice you send/go to west wirral nomatter what age!

“Lovely horses lovely instructors”

written by on 27/10/2013

I have been going for about a year and a half and I think it is amazing! We do different things every week. After my lesson I help out: lead, muck out& do jobs around the yard. The staff are really helpful land friendly and it has a lot of facilities: outdoor, outdoor for liveries, 2 indoors& several fields to ride in. Overall I think it is a amazing place to go riding!

“Brilliant All Round Riding School Offering Something...”

written by on 07/11/2012

West Wirral Riding School is a well established family business which has been running for a good number of years, I've been there for nearly 10! When I started, I'd recently had a bad accident somewhere else and needed to rebuild my confidence somewhere new. I've always felt welcomed at the yard, and the atmosphere is always positive. The horses are well looked after, and always have access to food and water. They are groomed on a daily basis and their stables are skipped out regularly throughout the day to keep it clean. The staff are friendly and incredibly approachable, and all have been there longer than I have. They know the horses very well and can read them all like a book, making the rides safer for all. They may not have the top qualifications, but all are on constant training to gain them and the experience that they have is more than you can imagine and more than covers any questions that you would want to ask. The yard is big and kept clean and tidy (as well as it can be) and the facilities are brilliant, 2 indoor schools and 2 outdoors, with intentions to build a new jumping paddock in the future. The viewing galleries are good and there is an onsite cafe offering hot and cold food and drink to all. They have a large selection of jumps and hold Clear Round days when possible in the summer holidays as well as Small Shows for the more experienced rider. Recently, they have added 2 goats and 2 pigs to the yard, making it more interesting for smaller children. The goats are very very friendly and can be seen roaming free around the yard at times. Children over the age of 12 are encouraged to become helpers at the riding school and can learn all about stable management and what looking after a horse really includes. Once they are experienced enough, they can be offered the opportunity to 'loan' one of the school ponies, where they can come down during the week and ride and look after their given horse. In the holidays they run Pony Days, where children can come down and spend a day at the yard,learning vital stable management skills as well as being able to ride. The lessons are kept to a maximum of 8 to ensure that all are catered for and West Wirral still remains the cheapest riding school on the Wirral, however, don't mistake this for cheap instruction. You are constantly offered tips and advice on what can make your riding better and are encouraged to move up the groups and gain more levels of your riding, from beginning on a lead rein to lateral work as well as jumping different styles of jumps. West Wirral Riding School is a brilliant equestrian centre for all ages and offers much more than your standard riding school. I would recommend it to anyone and everyone.

“Unfriendly staff”

written by on 27/09/2012

Tried here as it was closer but the staff I came across were unhelpful and not very friendly. The horses I was given were not forward going and 1 was coughing all the time. They were very dusty and seemed not groomed. The private lesson was cut short by 10 minutes. The instructor wasn't interested when I mentioned it.

“west wirral riding school”

written by megannn on 17/03/2012

i started riding when i was 8 at west wirral but then i moved to larton as one of the staff there really upset me and then i moved to larton where the people were alot nicer and i learned alot more at larton than at wirral i wouldnt recommend this riding school unless you want to be taught wrong

“West Wirral Riding School is excellent. The...”

written by on 14/05/2011

West Wirral Riding School is excellent. The instructors tell you what to do to move up, encourage you, and reassure you. The ponies and horses are well looked after. It is only 10 pounds per lesson, which is half an hour. Therefore, my conclusion is...GO THERE ITIS BRILLIANT! and also they dont make you do something if you dont wanna! luff fender farm! please i reccomend it!

“I am an experienced horse rider as i have been riding...”

written by on 04/01/2011

I am an experienced horse rider as i have been riding since i was about 9 and i learnt to ride horses at Larton and to be honest i learnt hell of alot more at larton than what i did at west wirral and the difference between them is that larton the leaders are helpful and chatty and you can let your feelings out, where as at west wirral i would not even speak as i feel that i could not talk to anyone and the facilities are alot tidier than what at west wirral so i definatly NOT recomend this riding school to friends or family, but everyone has there own oppion and that is mine.

Guest's Comment

Written on: 28/07/2011

you sound like the rest of the snobs that go to larton.

_H_O_R_S_E_'s Comment

Written on: 03/08/2014

You come across very disrespectful just like most people at Larton. Leaders are quieter so they do not distract riders, Larton is horrid to their helpers and treat them with no respect forcing them to do things. It is a riding school so you would not nee to let your feelings out that is not what it's for! Larton is rude and put inexperienced riders on difficult horses.

“I have taken up riding again after 20 years and am...”

written by on 16/12/2010

I have taken up riding again after 20 years and am having lessons at Larton (group and one to one lessons)and Fender Valley (one to one lessons with Gary). I find Gary an excellent teacher and is very encouraging. He explains not only what to do but why, which I find helpful. The horses are lovely and appear forward going, not what you expect of riding school horses. Also pleased with price which is very competitive.

Charley123's Comment

Written on: 21/01/2011

I found this review very helpful because... i agree i have never had gary as a teacher but he is really nice i have heard from my frinds that he is an excellnt instucter

“I have been riding at fender since january 2010 since...”

written by on 04/10/2010

I have been riding at fender since january 2010 since then i have moved from white ride to blue to blue cantering and i have never had and experiences riding until i started at fender i love the instructers they are knd and helpful if you have a problem you can go to them and ask all the horses and ponies are well looked after ae so freindly except for a few who have only just been broken in we have two indoors an outside paddock a paddock for the liveries and wecan go on hacks sometimes for are lessons i think the price is good because of the qulity of teaching hope this has helped anyone thinking about riding here overall i give fender a 11/10

“This riding school has been a family run business for...”

written by on 01/10/2010

This riding school has been a family run business for over 35 years. The staff are all have BHS qualifications and the school is ABRS approved. The 20 stamps on a card is a concession on condition you have your card stamped when you pay there is no problem getting your free lesson. The yard owner has been in hospital and had just been discharged. The Riding Centre is very friendly
and all the horses are lovely and good for all abilities. We love this riding centre and wouldn't go anywhere else. 10/10

“ ”

written by on 26/09/2010

I have been sending my 4yr old to West Wirral Riding School since February 2010. We had paid most weeks for a 1-1 lesson at my request due to his age and ability.
I have just returned from a half hour group lesson and when paying, enquired about an offer they advertise which states after 20 lessons, you receive a complimentary ride. As we have been for so long and had exceeded 20 visits, did not think this would be a problem possibly to have our next lesson free.
However, there are certain conditions attached to this offer that were never explained such as you having to keep a written account of lessons on a card that they stamp; we never did this as lessons we had were at the same day and time each week.
Now, You may wonder why I am going to the effort of writing about a 'free' lesson. This is not my issue but with the absolute shock I am left with after witnessing the proprietor hurl an unacceptable tirade of insults and abuse at me and my 4yr old for simply asking a member of staff how we 'claim' our 'free' lesson. No child, or adult for that matter should be spoken to in this manner. The owner insisted I was 'poor' and not able to afford to pay for riding lessons if I was requesting a complimentary ride. She denied that we had been part of the school for the stated length of time and that as a business, they do not keep records of dates and times people ride and any written documents they hold are all with the accountants. Obviously as any business owner knows you have to keep records!
The distinct feeling is that they are happy to take your cash but do not want to be queried regarding any aspects of the service that they either provide or promote.
PLEASE be very wary of this 'school'.

Stardog32's Comment

Written on: 02/10/2010

don't you feel a bit daft losing your rag over the internet? you definitely come across as a bit loopy for calling health and safety into question over a couple of words.

“I have been riding at West Wirral Riding School for 9...”

written by on 30/08/2010

I have been riding at West Wirral Riding School for 9 years. The horses are calm, exept some new horses that are spooked easily, and the staff are very nice. The staff gives constructive advice about how to improve your riding and they tell you what you did correctly. They have two indoors so if it rains two lessons can still be held sepretly. The olny down fall is that they dont fit the standard of rider to the standard of the lesson, I am on a ride with only three out of 9 of us that are the equvalant of the lesson. The price of the lesson for half and hour is £10.50 and is not worth the value as the lessons i have is the instructor providing all attention to certain riders and not the whlo ride.

“it i s really goood i go there every sunday and i...”

written by on 04/06/2010

it i s really goood i go there every sunday and i enjoy the lesson and i go to the pony days to but the one i dont like about it is i think you hit the hores to hard i no they to learn but a little bit softer there is one more thing i think if you are in the green or blue and you can tack you we should be able to do it are selfs.

“I GO TO WEST WIRRAL RIDING SCHOOL EVERY WEEK AN I...”

written by on 29/03/2010

I GO TO WEST WIRRAL RIDING SCHOOL EVERY WEEK AN I THINK IT IS WORTH THE MONEY AND EVERYONE IS KIND AND HELPFUL

“Its very bitchy!! ”

written by on 14/12/2009

Its very bitchy!!
The only good thing about Fender is there are two indoors!!
Can't say much more, i spent about 7 years there, helping, working, and being a livery, for the first few years i loved it, and i had the best time there in my life, but once i got older and stuck up for myself it became very bitchy and upsetting as all i used to do is go home upset. The instructors arent qualified, apart from one, who only does the higher level rides. So not the best riding school at all!!

_H_O_R_S_E_'s Comment

Written on: 03/08/2014

Your talking about the people on the livery yard not the riding school! You look a bit daft! Which experienced instructor is this because I have been taught by all of them and 9 out of 10 are well qualified

“Everyone is so helpful,the staff are great they have...”

written by on 06/07/2009

Everyone is so helpful,the staff are great they have given my daughter so much confidence,all the horses and ponies are fantastic at there job,i would recomend West Wirral Riding School to anyone,i learnt to ride there myself,and went on to work with horses in all diciplines. I have been a livery there,i can only say how helpful everyone is,if there were any worries they were always dealt with promptly,they are a lovely family,always approachable and so knowlegable.Keep up the good work.

“I love going to west wirral riding school. Its the...”

written by on 29/05/2009

I love going to west wirral riding school. Its the best everyone is really nice and it has a perfect atmosphere .

“I have tried a few different riding schools in the...”

written by thomasedward1 on 24/04/2009

I have tried a few different riding schools in the area some more expensive. But NONE provide the level of learning I have experienced at the West Wirral Riding School